11% [ 2 ]
We can't know - for now.

44% [ 8 ]
Total votes: 18
Crucifer
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 03 Aug , 2007 2:12 pm
A song outlasts a dynasty.

It's quite likely that any alien civilisation advenced enough for inter stellar travel wold look at a CD or tape and go :damnfunny:

Once they unlocked the secret of how to play it, they would probably think that humans are mad.

Sleep is a death; Oh, make me try by sleeping what it is to die.

Profile Quote
Jude
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 03 Aug , 2007 2:21 pm
Aspiring to heresy

Jnyusa wrote:
Jude wrote:
I'm also very curious to know what "earth music" was included on the Voyager.
Johnny B. Good.

No, I'm not kidding.

(That was one of many pieces, and I don't know the whole list.)

Jn
That's the name of the song, right?

Do you know who performed it?

[ img ]

Melkor and Ungoliant in need of some relationship counselling.

Profile Quote
Alatar
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 03 Aug , 2007 2:21 pm
of Vinyamar

Chuck Berry

[ img ]
These are my friends, see how they glisten...

Profile Quote
Jude
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 03 Aug , 2007 2:25 pm
Aspiring to heresy

Actually, I think that's a bad choice for a song to play for aliens. Without having heard the song, I imagine that a great deal of its appeal is on the pun: the ambiguity between telling Jonny to be good (Hey Jonny! are you reading this? :poke: ) and the use of "B" as the initial of his middle name.

Not knowing any human languages, this would be completely wasted on an alien.

[ img ]

Melkor and Ungoliant in need of some relationship counselling.

Profile Quote
The OG Borry
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 03 Aug , 2007 2:38 pm
The best things in life are not things

Location: here....<_< yeah here thats Ceres, CA for you stalkers

Borry: equality works both ways cheater!
Don: so does not

So I take pictures now, check em out if you'd like. Here you go.

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 03 Aug , 2007 3:24 pm
The Grey Amaretto as Supermega-awesome Proud Heretic Girl

:LMAO:

I can hear the Vulcans now, Jude.

"This song choice is extremely illogical."

I'd be up for a Shroud of Turin thread.

To be clear, my faith doesn't rest on its validity, but it was cool to learn that it could actually be real. (And, as I said, it can never be proven to have belonged to Jesus, since, well, duh, you get the rest.)

Lali

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Dave_LF
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 03 Aug , 2007 4:13 pm
You are hearing me talk

yovargas wrote:
Note that despite plenty of water and whatnot, scientists apparently don't believe that any lifeforms have succesfully formed here ever again. One could take that in several ways, one being that maybe water- and carbon-rich planets really aren't conducive to the formation of life.
Another is that a new guy on the scene simply wouldn't be able to compete with the experienced ones. What we really need to do is exterminate all life on Earth, return the planet to the state it was in a couple billion years ago, and see if anything comes back.

Profile Quote
vison
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 03 Aug , 2007 4:36 pm
Best friends forever

Chuck Berry's version of Johnny B Good was worthy of inclusion. Why not hope that the aliens rock?

Some J. S. Bach was included, although some scientist or other pointed out that including Bach was "bragging". :D

Living on Earth is expensive,
but it does include a free trip
around the sun every year.

Profile Quote
ToshoftheWuffingas
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 03 Aug , 2007 4:37 pm
Filthy darwinian hobbit

Can anyone explain why aliens are so keen on rectal probes?

[ img ]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos

Norwich Beer Festival 2009

Profile Quote
The Watcher
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 03 Aug , 2007 4:46 pm
Same as it ever was

Dave_LF wrote:
yovargas wrote:
Note that despite plenty of water and whatnot, scientists apparently don't believe that any lifeforms have succesfully formed here ever again. One could take that in several ways, one being that maybe water- and carbon-rich planets really aren't conducive to the formation of life.
Another is that a new guy on the scene simply wouldn't be able to compete with the experienced ones. What we really need to do is exterminate all life on Earth, return the planet to the state it was in a couple billion years ago, and see if anything comes back.

All those in favor of Dave's suggestion step forward...

:D:D

Scientists tell us that the fastest animal on earth, with a top speed of 120 miles per second, is a cow that has been dropped from a helicopter.

Never under any circumstances take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

- Dave Barry

Glaciers melting in the dead of night and the superstars sucked into the supermassive...
Supermassive Black Hole.

- Muse

[ img ]

Profile Quote
yovargas
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 03 Aug , 2007 5:07 pm

Dave_LF wrote:
yovargas wrote:
But how long was that not true? How much time was there were after life arose but before life had really spread? How long before it would've become anything even remotely complex? I would think a really long time.

Profile Quote
Meril36
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 03 Aug , 2007 6:46 pm

vison wrote:
Chuck Berry's version of Johnny B Good was worthy of inclusion. Why not hope that the aliens rock?

Some J. S. Bach was included, although some scientist or other pointed out that including Bach was "bragging". :D
Actually, if I remember correctly the guy in question was asked what he would include on the Voyager disk, and he said something more like, "I would include the complete works of Johann Sebastian Bach... but that would be bragging." Which is why they only put in three. :D

Trying for profundity only limits depth.

With all the anger in the land, how long before the judgement day? Before we cut the fat ones down to size? Before the barricades arise?

Visit my art gallery at deviantART.

Profile Quote
Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 03 Aug , 2007 7:48 pm
One of the Bronte Sisters

If you want to hear Johnny B. Good, rent the first "Back to the Future" video. That's the song the Fox character plays at the high school prom.

I think the idea was to include a bit of everything, to be completely representative of human culture.

The map of Earth was coded in binary ... because, you know, EVERYBODY in the universe speaks binary. :D

Jn

"All things considered, I'd rather be in Philadelphia."
Epigraph on the tombstone of W.C. Fields.

Profile Quote
TheMary
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 03 Aug , 2007 8:48 pm
I took the stars from my eyes, and then I made a map, And knew that somehow I could find my way back; Then I heard your heart beating, you were in the darkness too - So I stayed in the darkness with you

I'm sorry is Chuck Berry and alien? :Q I feel like I've been confunded ;)

ETA: vison, I actually had you in mind when I posted my inital question about believing in aliens but not God. It just seemed that non-believer wouldn't say "Aliens? Heck yes they exist" but "God, hell no don't be silly". So when you said you didn't believe in aliens it was was very much a mental "well duh". Why believe in anything when it's so easy not to believe?

Oh right, because believing is way more fun.

Lay down
Your sweet and weary head
Night is falling
You’ve come to journey's end
Sleep now
And dream of the ones who came before
They are calling
From across the distant shore

Why do you weep?
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see
All of your fears will pass away
Safe in my arms
You're only sleeping

Profile Quote
Dave_LF
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 03 Aug , 2007 10:02 pm
You are hearing me talk

yovargas wrote:
Dave_LF wrote:
yovargas wrote:
But how long was that not true? How much time was there were after life arose but before life had really spread? How long before it would've become anything even remotely complex? I would think a really long time.
It's possible that life emerged several or even many times during that period, but in the end only the one line was left. The problem is that pre-cells don't leave very good fossils. The number would be highly informative if there were any way to deduce it.

Profile Quote
vison
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 04 Aug , 2007 1:17 am
Best friends forever

TheMary wrote:
I'm sorry is Chuck Berry and alien? :Q I feel like I've been confunded ;)

ETA: vison, I actually had you in mind when I posted my inital question about believing in aliens but not God. It just seemed that non-believer wouldn't say "Aliens? Heck yes they exist" but "God, hell no don't be silly". So when you said you didn't believe in aliens it was was very much a mental "well duh". Why believe in anything when it's so easy not to believe?

Oh right, because believing is way more fun.
Well, TheMary, thank you for thinking of me. :cool:

I guess I reach the sticking point with the word "believe". See, I "believe" in gravity, I believe in the Moon orbiting the Earth, etc., but since I have never seen an alien or heard from one, even indirectly, I can't say I "believe" in them.

But shall we speak of probability? I think Aliens are more probable than God, but I have an open mind on both. Only it's opener for Aliens. They seem reasonable, whereas God seems unreasonable. If there is a God, I will be very surprised. Whereas, if there ARE aliens, it will not be so surprising. A shock to the system, yes.

Profile Quote
The Watcher
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 04 Aug , 2007 2:37 am
Same as it ever was

Dave_LF wrote:
yovargas wrote:
Dave_LF wrote:
yovargas wrote:
It's possible that life emerged several or even many times during that period, but in the end only the one line was left. The problem is that pre-cells don't leave very good fossils. The number would be highly informative if there were any way to deduce it.
I am trying very hard to follow both Dave's and yovi's line of reasoning, and I guess I am misunderstanding both of them.

The earliest traces that we have of life on Earth dates back to roughly 3.4 billion years ago, in the form of stromatolites.

How much older do you both need to go?

Scientists tell us that the fastest animal on earth, with a top speed of 120 miles per second, is a cow that has been dropped from a helicopter.

Never under any circumstances take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

- Dave Barry

Glaciers melting in the dead of night and the superstars sucked into the supermassive...
Supermassive Black Hole.

- Muse

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Dave_LF
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 04 Aug , 2007 2:48 am
You are hearing me talk

To summarize:
-I said something about how, as far as we humans know, life has emerged exactly once.
-yov challenged the idea that water etc. makes it likely that life will emerge given that there's water all over this place and it's still only emerged once.
-I speculated perhaps new forms *would* emerge here if we entrenched old-timers weren't hogging up all the resources.
-you pointed out that it probably took life as we know it some time to establish itself, and why didn't other forms emerge before that?
-I argued that perhaps they did, but just couldn't compete in the long run and didn't leave fossils behind (macromolecules are notorious for failing to do this).

At least, that's what I think happened. :D

Profile Quote
Crucifer
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 04 Aug , 2007 11:51 am
A song outlasts a dynasty.

Vision, can I just ask (and please don't take this the wrong way) what the point is in believing in something that you already know exists?

Sleep is a death; Oh, make me try by sleeping what it is to die.

Profile Quote
vison
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 05 Aug , 2007 4:00 pm
Best friends forever

Crucifer wrote:
Vision, can I just ask (and please don't take this the wrong way) what the point is in believing in something that you already know exists?
Oh, I never take anything the wrong way!!!

I ask you the same question reversed: what is the point of "believing" in something you don't know exists? I guess because you want it to be true? Then there is "faith" which asserts that a thing IS true. No proof required, it just IS.

I dunno. Different world views, I guess.

I don't KNOW that alien life exists, but I assume it does. Logic, and the size of the universe, make it seem likely to me. Not quite the same as "belief".

As for the existence or not of a god, I can't really argue or discuss that very well, I always wind up offending people and what's the point? Believe what you like, as long as you aren't hurting someone or trying to impose your beliefs on others. That sorta suits me.

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 4 of 5  [ 86 posts ]
Return to “The Symposium” | Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 5 »
Jump to: