[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jonny
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 09 Aug , 2007 5:23 am
pixel-pusher

:D

Don't let Freddy see!!!!

“And the ship went out into the High Sea and passed into the West, until at last on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a far green country under a swift sunrise.”

Profile Quote
Crucifer
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 09 Aug , 2007 12:47 pm
A song outlasts a dynasty.

I'll go with the Rowlinginian theory that ghosts are people who were scared to move on.
Also, I believe in the grudgian theory that sometimes they're people who hold grudges and come back to settle them.

I do believe in spooks.

Sleep is a death; Oh, make me try by sleeping what it is to die.

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 09 Aug , 2007 2:57 pm

If there are ghosts, I think that they are souls that are too stubborn to move on but are too confused to realize they'd be better off moving to the next level.

Either that, or they are just a psychic imprint on the surroundings. An echo of a presence or incident long ago that sensitive people can sense but the actual souls involved have long since moved on. There's a more detailed talent called psychometry where people can sense the history of an object by holding it in their hand, from the psychic imprints of those who have used it. Seeing ghosts might be a mild form of the same thing.

I think poltergeist stuff is just telekinetic activity by live humans, unknowing. I doubt ghosts have enough OOMPH to affect the physical world, if they exist at all.

If ever I see a ghost, I doubt I'd be scared. More annoyed than anything, probably. "Shoo! What are you doing here? You have no business here anymore! Be gone!"

On second thought, that would be rude. I don't know what I'd do. I don't want there to be ghosts in my world. So there probably won't be.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
tolkienpurist
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 09 Aug , 2007 3:14 pm
Unlabeled

Quote:
Do you believe in dead humans returning as ghosts? Or do you think that "ghosts" could be supernatural entities?
No. Absolutely, positively not. But I believe in the power of the human mind to conjure up such visions.
Quote:
Think of the pet that you've been closest to, at any time in your life. Would you give up a year of your lifespan to be able to spend your whole life with that pet?
No, again, absolutely not. So much living happens within a year - so much opportunity to be, to do, and to learn. I can't imagine giving that up.

To me, the more difficult question is "think of the human you've been closest to." Here, the answer seems as though it definitely should be yes. But, as someone who has never been in love with someone who has reciprocated, I'm not yet sure it is.

Profile Quote
Rodia
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 23 Aug , 2007 2:46 pm

I think the supernatural is a lot more complex than we think it is. I'm ready to believe in anything. Ghosts that are people who had unfinished business, ghosts that haunt, ghosts that aren't people at all. As far as I can see, the rules for the otherworld are so vast and complicated that from our point of view, we might as well believe there are no rules at all.

As to giving up a year of my life for the pet, yeah. What's a year?

[ img ]
Help me go to the North Pole! by Magic Madzik, on Flickr

TRYING TO GET TO THE NORTH POLE! You can help by voting: http://www.blogyourwaytothenorthpole.com/entries/244

Profile Quote
Jonny
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 16 Jan , 2008 1:26 am
pixel-pusher

Would you rather die tomorrow, or in a thousand years?

“And the ship went out into the High Sea and passed into the West, until at last on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a far green country under a swift sunrise.”

Profile Quote
Dawnnamira
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 16 Jan , 2008 2:06 am

Tomorrow.

I'd say a thousand years, but with my luck I wouldn't have the money to make it that long.

How strange it is to be anything at all

Profile Quote
jadeval
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 16 Jan , 2008 3:15 am

a thousand years, no questions... assuming that the aging process would be proportiate and I wouldn't be a geezer for the last 900 years of course. Though I wonder if one would get bored... I wonder if the human brain is not really capable of sustaining its entertainment beyond a period of about 100 years?

"Every determination is a negation." -Spinoza

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 16 Jan , 2008 3:34 am
The Grey Amaretto as Supermega-awesome Proud Heretic Girl

A thousand years, I think. I've got too much living to do to die tomorrow.

Lali

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Lily Rose
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 16 Jan , 2008 3:40 am
stranded in dreamland

Tomorrow. I can't imagine wanting to hang around this planet for a thousand years.

I don't have faith in faith
I don't believe in belief
You can call me faithless
I still cling to hope
And I believe in love
And that's faith enough for me

Profile Quote
Jonny
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 16 Jan , 2008 5:18 am
pixel-pusher

Thanks guys :D For some reason I'm fascinated by these types of questions.

For me... a thousand years.

Though I wonder if I would regret it halfway through that. :)

Profile Quote
Lidless
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 16 Jan , 2008 9:42 am
Als u het leven te ernstig neemt, mist u de betekenis.

Tomorrow. I can't imagine a pension company willing to take me on as a customer otherwise.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Impenitent
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 16 Jan , 2008 10:31 am
Try to stay perky

I wouldn't give up a year for a pet, nor a year to live my whole lifespan with my beloved (although that's a toughie). I think I WOULD give up a year in exchange for a guarantee that I and my loved ones would live fully - physically, emotionally and intellectually - up to the time of our deaths.

The worst scenario would be to linger; either in physical illness or decrepitude, or to lose my mind; or to be so emotionally isolated in old age that loneliness would weary my days.

Yep; a year less is worth it in exchange for a full and complete life up until the time I snuff it, snoring contentedly in my bed.

[ img ]

"Believe me, every heart has its secret sorrows, which the world knows not;
and oftentimes we call a man cold when he is only sad." ~Robert C. Savage

Profile Quote
Pippin4242
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 16 Jan , 2008 2:50 pm
Hasta la victoria, siempre

Impenitent wrote:
I wouldn't give up a year for a pet, nor a year to live my whole lifespan with my beloved (although that's a toughie).
See, this is my problem. I think it's probably my responsibility to be with her for as long as we both are able. I don't think it would be fair to her if I chose to die tomorrow. I wouldn't think it fair on me if she chose to die tomorrow. She told me once that she couldn't understand why anybody would want to commit suicide, so I admitted to her that I'd considered it a few times in the past. She wanted me to promise her that I'd never be so stupid again.

So I have to choose a thousand years, even though many of those years would be without her, because my life is hers.

*~Pips~*

Avatar is a male me, drawn by a very close friend. Just don't ask why.

Profile Quote
ToshoftheWuffingas
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 16 Jan , 2008 3:02 pm
Filthy darwinian hobbit

Pips makes a good point. We think we lead our lives for ourselves but other people are affected by our choices too.

Me, I'd live a thousand years. I've always wanted to know what happens next.

[ img ]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos

Norwich Beer Festival 2009

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 16 Jan , 2008 5:02 pm

I'm just as glad the choice isn't up to me. :neutral:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Ara-anna
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 16 Jan , 2008 5:08 pm
Daydream Believer

For me I would choose tomorrow with the option that tomorrow never actually comes for a while. That way I would actually live today.

Plus I think of death as the biggest adventure since birth, maybe bigger, so that may have something to do with my choice.

I don't think I would like to live for 1000 years, the pain and repetiveness of 100 life times...I don't know if the pay off would be worth it. It's one of the reasons Tolkiens work appealed to me in the first place...the Elves felt death was a gift not a curse.

Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in

Five seconds away from the Tetons and Yellowstone

Profile Quote
Jonny
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 16 Jan , 2008 5:19 pm
pixel-pusher

Pippin4242 wrote:
So I have to choose a thousand years, even though many of those years would be without her, because my life is hers.

*~Pips~*
:love:

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 2 of 2  [ 39 posts ]
Return to “The Symposium” | Jump to page « 1 2
Jump to: