The Last Homely Site on the Web

Questions, questions that need answering

Post Reply   Page 1 of 2  [ 39 posts ]
Jump to page 1 2 »
Jonny
Post subject: Questions, questions that need answering
Posted: Wed 08 Aug , 2007 5:03 am
pixel-pusher

So I was thinking about starting a new poll in a new thread, but realized that it would be better to consolidate things. So this thread can be used for some random questions I've been wondering about. Feel free to add folks!

Number 1.

Think of the pet that you've been closest to, at any time in your life. Would you give up a year of your lifespan to be able to spend your whole life with that pet?

For me, I might not do a whole year. But I'd do a fair few months.

There would be something to be said about having a companion for your entire life that will always love you for just who you are :D Without having to eventually say goodbye to them :(

Last edited by Jonny on Wed 16 Jan , 2008 1:26 am, edited 2 times in total.

“And the ship went out into the High Sea and passed into the West, until at last on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a far green country under a swift sunrise.”

Profile Quote
Riverthalos
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 08 Aug , 2007 6:30 am
bioalchemist

One year subtracted from ~80...

Yeah, I can make that trade. Easily. Do I get my dog back now?

"He attacks. And here I can kill him. But I don't. That's the answer to world peace, people."
-Stickles Shihan

Profile Quote
Elian
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 08 Aug , 2007 6:42 am
Let the dice fly.

I'm with River...yes, no question.

I'm still too young for being really old to have any attraction to me yet anyhow. ;)

What does it take
to stop getting carried away
by the force of my love...

Profile Quote
Alatar
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 08 Aug , 2007 9:49 am
of Vinyamar

Ah, but what if you found out you were going to die at 30. Would you still make the trade?

[ img ]
These are my friends, see how they glisten...

Profile Quote
Crucifer
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 08 Aug , 2007 10:53 am
A song outlasts a dynasty.

I don't gots one.

Sleep is a death; Oh, make me try by sleeping what it is to die.

Profile Quote
Berhael
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 08 Aug , 2007 11:40 am
Milk and kisses

Yes, I would.
I dread the day I'll have to say goodbye to Byron. :(

"The most terrifying day of your life is the day the first one is born [...] Your life, as you know it... is gone. Never to return. But they learn how to walk, and they learn how to talk... and you want to be with them. And they turn out to be the most delightful people you will ever meet in your life."

Profile Quote
Jude
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 08 Aug , 2007 12:00 pm
Aspiring to heresy

What an easy choice to make.

Of course, I'd gladly give up a year to spend the rest of my life with Patch. For all I know, I might spend the last year of my life bedridden anyway.

[ img ]

Melkor and Ungoliant in need of some relationship counselling.

Profile Quote
jewelsong
Post subject: Re: Questions, questions that need answering
Posted: Wed 08 Aug , 2007 1:23 pm
Just keep singin'!

Jonny wrote:
Think of the pet that you've been closest to, at any time in your life. Would you give up a year of your lifespan to be able to spend your whole life with that pet?
What kind of condition would the pet be in after, say, 30 years? If it is a dog with a normal lifespan of 10 years, would it keep aging and just not die? Or would it somehow be "frozen" at a certain age?

And what if that last year of my life was the year my first grandchild was born, or my daughter got married or...well, any number of things?

I would not give up a year of my life. We outlive our pets and they break our hearts, but that's the way of things.

Unless we get a sea turtle or a parrot. ;)

Profile Quote
yovargas
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 08 Aug , 2007 1:29 pm

Nope.

Profile Quote
Jude
Post subject: Re: Questions, questions that need answering
Posted: Wed 08 Aug , 2007 1:31 pm
Aspiring to heresy

jewelsong wrote:
What kind of condition would the pet be in after, say, 30 years? If it is a dog with a normal lifespan of 10 years, would it keep aging and just not die? Or would it somehow be "frozen" at a certain age?
When I answered the question, I assumed that the pet would age at the same rate as humans. I certainly wouldn't want to inflict 50 years of "old age" on any creature.

[ img ]

Melkor and Ungoliant in need of some relationship counselling.

Profile Quote
jewelsong
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 08 Aug , 2007 1:32 pm
Just keep singin'!

These kinds of things never turn out well in all the stories...

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 08 Aug , 2007 2:51 pm
The Grey Amaretto as Supermega-awesome Proud Heretic Girl

That's true, jewel!

This would be tempting, but I'd have to say no. I certainly love my pets but I've lived through losing several of them now. And I have subsequently loved others as much as the ones before (perhaps differently in ways but much the same). Which one would I choose to live forever? If Rusty (cat) hadn't died, then I wouldn't have gotten Mooch (cat). If Mooch hadn't died, then I wouldn't have gotten Spaz-Cricket (cat). And so on. It would be hard for me to pick which one of those deserves to live forever.

Now if you asked the question about my children, then of course I'd say yes.

Lali

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jonny
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 08 Aug , 2007 4:39 pm
pixel-pusher

Quote:
Or would it somehow be "frozen" at a certain age?
The idea would be that it would age at the same rate as you. :)

Thanks for responses folks - at first, on thinking about the question, I was very "heck yeah" but then I thought about some of the stuff that has been mentioned and made me a bit more hesitant. So I'll be a bum about my own question and say I'd give up half a year.

But then there are times that I really miss my cat and I'd say I'd give up 5. :neutral:

“And the ship went out into the High Sea and passed into the West, until at last on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a far green country under a swift sunrise.”

Profile Quote
Ara-anna
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 08 Aug , 2007 5:41 pm
Daydream Believer

Well I look at this way, how many of us do things we know will already take years off our life? Smoking, being overweight, not exercising, yet we continue to basically trade a cig, donut or being lazy for years of our lifes, so why not a pet.

Would I trade my one year of my life to have a pet part of it for life...probably not. But I eat bad things because they taste good, so I guess I would trade a year or years of my life for tasty fat filled food (which all turns to poop anyway). Maybe I should change my ways to keep the dogs and loose the food. I'd still be losing the year of my life, but it won't all be for sh*t.

Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in

Five seconds away from the Tetons and Yellowstone

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 08 Aug , 2007 5:50 pm

I have a parrot that (barring mishap) will live anouther 20-25 years. We love him a lot, but at times the thought of another 2 decades of earsplitting screeches is daunting. :neutral:

I just lost a dog - buried her yesterday- , and as much as I liked her it was time for her to go. She was stone deaf, and had dizzy spells a lot and was declining rapidly in health. It was kind of a relief not to have to decide whether to euthanize her or not.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jonny
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 09 Aug , 2007 4:40 am
pixel-pusher

Quote:
Well I look at this way, how many of us do things we know will already take years off our life? Smoking, being overweight, not exercising, yet we continue to basically trade a cig, donut or being lazy for years of our lifes, so why not a pet.
Very, very good point. I hadn't even thought about that. What's more fulfilling in the long run, a pet who loves you and who you love or fatty foods? Yet we give probably much more of our lives away for fatty foods, or at least I do.

Right, next question!

I recently had a woman who I respect very highly recount what she believed to be a genuine encounter with a ghost in her teenage years. She is not attention-seeking and completely sane. It made me truly pause and reconsider my own beliefs on the subject. Do you believe in dead humans returning as ghosts? Or do you think that "ghosts" could be supernatural entities? Or perhaps nothing at all?

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 09 Aug , 2007 5:04 am

Hmmm, this might fall into the alien category for me, meaning, I tend to think ghost encounters are actually demon encounters.

If they're not, then I don't know what else they'd be. I believe that when a person dies they go straight to their eternal destination (heaven or hell, though I think it's not exactly hell at this point yet). So I don't believe in souls wandering about.

But those are just my thoughts, not any sort of dogma or anything.

Lali

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jonny
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 09 Aug , 2007 5:11 am
pixel-pusher

Quote:
I believe that when a person dies they go straight to their eternal destination (heaven or hell, though I think it's not exactly hell at this point yet).
Mind expanding on that a bit? :)

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 09 Aug , 2007 5:13 am

Tomorrow. I'm too tired to do it justice now.

:)

:tired:

Lali

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jonny
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 09 Aug , 2007 5:18 am
pixel-pusher

:kiss:

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 2  [ 39 posts ]
Return to “The Symposium” | Jump to page 1 2 »
Jump to: