The Last Homely Site on the Web

Inexplicable things that people tell you

Post Reply   Page 1 of 2  [ 33 posts ]
Jump to page 1 2 »
ToshoftheWuffingas
Post subject: Inexplicable things that people tell you
Posted: Thu 17 May , 2007 11:28 am
Filthy darwinian hobbit

Reading Iavas' threads it is clear that much of his stuff comes off the Internet. To say the least it can be a very unreliable source of facts with people pursuing all sorts of different agendas. I want to tackle things from a different viewpoint.
Over the years many people have told me things that they personally have seen. There has been no intermediary to edit or exaggerate. Of course if I relay their story I then become that intermediary but you will have to accept that. I also think that when explanations for phenomena are attempted (eg Govt conspiracy, psychic event etc) that we get bogged down. It's just that some things are so strange. Perhaps this thread could be reserved for phenomena that we have individually observed or what someone we have spoken to has personally observed. This should go some way to anchor things in a form of reality.
What prompted this thread was a conversation I had last week with my art teacher while we watched a satellite slowly move over the sky. He is in his 60's and from South Africa. When he was young in the 1950's he lived in what is now Zambia and what was then the British colony of Northern Rhodesia.
Somewhere around 1953 he witnessed over several weeks together with many other people up to 50 or so sightings of UFO's. He said they were not dots of light but the size of street lights, that he heard or felt a deep sound that resonated with his body, and that the first Mayor of Lusaka who lived nearby almost spoilt his political career by blurting out he had seen flying saucers. He saw them through binoculars and said what struck him was how alike they were to the cartoon version, circular, domed and with visible signs of artificial construction on them. He saw two descend behind a hill that stood a mile or so away then rise again. One rapidly shot off in a flash and then the other did. He or others found blackened grass and before long the army was camping out in the region. His father had seen the objects too and was frightened. Later as an adult in South Africa he heard the same sort of visceral sound that he remembered from his youth and he went out of his house into the street. He saw nothing in the sky but the telephone wires were circled by a blue electrical looking sparking.
I don't want to offer explanations because they impose limits but these things are worth repeating and recording.
Do others of you have such stories from your own or your friend's personal experiences of what is outwardly inexplicable? Stuff you read can go into the weird newspaper story thread.

[ img ]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos

Norwich Beer Festival 2009

Profile Quote
yovargas
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 17 May , 2007 12:12 pm

Ugh. I have a bad memory for details but an old friend told me a story from when he was a kid. A house of a family member was claimed to be haunted or somesuch. He claimed to have personally seen objects fling themselves across a room. At some point, they supposedly found signs of satanic rytuals or something like that within the walls of the house. I was/am naturally skeptical but when he told the story he seemed SO genuine and he still seemed freaked out about it to the point where he didn't really like talking about it.

Profile Quote
Lily Rose
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 17 May , 2007 12:26 pm
stranded in dreamland

My grandma has mentioned several times seeing close relatives right after they die. She has also spoken of having out of body experiences. My whole family, myself included seem to all be at least somewhat psychic.

I don't have faith in faith
I don't believe in belief
You can call me faithless
I still cling to hope
And I believe in love
And that's faith enough for me

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 17 May , 2007 12:26 pm
I've cried a thousand oceans, and I would cry a thousand more if that's what it takes to sail you home.

The only things that really come to mind were told to me by a group leader at the church I used to attend. I missed it, but one week they had a speaker who had practiced witchcraft before finding God and being born again. Apparently her experiences were right out of a horror film, with human sacrifices, objects being moved by thought alone, possession, etc. When she left the group, she had to change her identity because the circumstances were that horrible.

What unnerved me the most was at a sleepover with church friends when the scary stories started being told. Our leader (I hate using that term as it makes them sound like a cult... I just can't remember what we actually called them), :P talked about a night when she woke up to discover demons leaning over her baby's cradle. She probably just recited something from the bible, but eh, she was really detailed about how they looked and what they spoke. It always scared the bejeesus out of me. She wouldn't joke about something like that. What actually happened, I'll never know and wouldn't want to find out for myself. But it is probably the most inexplicable thing I have been told by someone I knew and trusted.

Wild world.

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
Pippin4242
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 17 May , 2007 6:35 pm
Hasta la victoria, siempre

A friend's younger sister believes that she woke up one night and looked through the window into the other side of the house, where she saw a man sitting on the sofa. The next morning she asked her nanny who the man was, and described him. Shocked, the nanny took a picture of the man from her wallet, which the girl agreed was of the man she'd seen. It was the nanny's boyfriend, who had been dead for two years.

:shrug:

Also, my mother's friend believes that my grandma once visited with her presence when we were playing her favourite card game. I don't really know where all this puts me- I'm far to cynical to believe the evidence of my eyes.

*~Pips~*

Avatar is a male me, drawn by a very close friend. Just don't ask why.

Profile Quote
Dave_LF
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 17 May , 2007 6:47 pm
You are hearing me talk

I have never had anything of this nature happen to me. I have also never heard first-hand accounts of any such things from people I know well in real life.

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 17 May , 2007 7:57 pm

The coolest thing I've heard was from an old friend of my family's. He used to come over when I was a kid and talk for hours about his life and the things he'd done and seen.

Once, on my birthday, he gave me a book about Jim the Wonder Dog and told he'd personally seen this dog and the dog really could do everything described in the book.

So, if you can trust second hand information- that's a really awesome phenomenon.

Personally, things I've experienced myself have been rather minor: telephone telepathy (ie: when you know someone's about to call), "sympathy" pains, where I can literally feel echos of someone else's pain :roll: (what possible use this is, I don't know!) and a couple of minor prophetic dreams. Oh! And the biggy is the use of the I Ching- that's really cool! Inexplicable. How in the world can tossing coins get you to the right passage of a 5000 year old book for advice on your current problem?

Other than that- the only other weird thing was when I tested a person I know well with Xener cards, and she aced it. :cool: It freaked her out, though and she refused to ever talk about it again. :(

And I've witnessed apparent psychic weather control, but I'm still not sure if that was coincidence or not. :scratch: Edit: the popular theory is that the person somehow *knew* what the weather was going to do (despite the conflicting forecast) and was able to make it seem that they caused it. But I'm not sure. Maybe the Earth just listens better to some people?

Is this the kind of thing you were looking for, Tosh?

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Lily Rose
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 17 May , 2007 8:21 pm
stranded in dreamland

I have prophetic dreams pretty much every night, but it is not something that I usually talk about. Most people think that I've lost my mind if I mention it. :oops:

I have seen illnesses healed with a touch. Like Maria, anytime I think about somebody, they call me.

I still cling to hope
And I believe in love

Profile Quote
Dawnnamira
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 17 May , 2007 11:11 pm

I've seen UFOs. It's quite disturbing. They show up around here sometimes...I don't know why.

And I have so many friends who have first hand tales of paranormal experiences. It's fascinating, even if they were all hoaxes it would still be disturbing to experience it.

How strange it is to be anything at all

Profile Quote
Lily Rose
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 17 May , 2007 11:23 pm
stranded in dreamland

Once people realize that the paranormal is not quite so uncommon, it becomes less disturbing.:)

I still cling to hope
And I believe in love

Profile Quote
Dawnnamira
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 18 May , 2007 12:17 am

I do realize that, but no matter how commonplace it becomes for me it still disturbs me. :scratch:

How strange it is to be anything at all

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 18 May , 2007 2:35 pm

My husband saw something once when in his teens that he was certain was a UFO. He never told anyone but me, years later, because he thought people might think he was crazy. I think it would probably disturb him less, nowadays, since we've seen so many small paranormal things.

Although, most of the things I've experienced can be explained by morphic resonance- and I can't figure out what UFOs might be...

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Meril36
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 18 May , 2007 3:55 pm

Well, some would probably dismiss it as just a very vivid dream, but the night after my grandfather died I saw him very clearly standing at the foot of my bed surrounded by a brilliant gold light. I was only about five at the time.

C_G told me he had a ghost in his house in Italy. He got annoyed with it because it kept him awake at night, so he banished it.

Trying for profundity only limits depth.

With all the anger in the land, how long before the judgement day? Before we cut the fat ones down to size? Before the barricades arise?

Visit my art gallery at deviantART.

Profile Quote
vison
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 18 May , 2007 4:54 pm
Best friends forever

The "telephone telepathy" thing is something I know well. I have "psychic" experiences all the time, but I think at some point in the future there will be a "scientific explanation".

On the other hand, my uncle K told my Dad years ago that he had seen a family of Sasquatches on a remote beach up the BC coast. My uncle was a logger and was often in very, very remote places. He says he and his buddy had a rowboat and they rowed from their camp dock to this other beach to go clamming. As they rowed closer, they saw what they assumed was a family of Indians digging for clams. Then, as they got closer yet, they realized these were Sasquatches, not people. My uncle's buddy had a rifle (for bears) and he wanted to shoot one, so that they could take the body out of the wilderness and prove that Sasquatches exist. My uncle wouldn't let him shoot. Because they were in a rowboat, and not a noisy motorboat, they got really close and then one of the Sasquatches looked out seaward and saw them and they all took off running into the woods.

That's the story from my uncle K. I don't know if I "believe" it or not, but my uncle swears it's the truth and that he really saw Sasquatches.

Living on Earth is expensive,
but it does include a free trip
around the sun every year.

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 18 May , 2007 8:35 pm

Sudden idea! I wonder if Sasquatches can traverse parallel dimensions or something, to evade pursuit? Or project some kind of field that keeps people from noticing them?

[ img ]

Profile Quote
ToshoftheWuffingas
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 18 May , 2007 9:58 pm
Filthy darwinian hobbit

I think they just unzip their costumes.

[ img ]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos

Norwich Beer Festival 2009

Profile Quote
Lily Rose
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 19 May , 2007 3:27 pm
stranded in dreamland

MariaHobbit wrote:
Sudden idea! I wonder if Sasquatches can traverse parallel dimensions or something, to evade pursuit? Or project some kind of field that keeps people from noticing them?
I see no reason why that wouldn't be the case. Anybody can do that, if they really put their mind to it.

I still cling to hope
And I believe in love

Profile Quote
Riverthalos
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 19 May , 2007 3:57 pm
bioalchemist

Every now and then, I have a dream that comes more or less true. There's nothing figurative or symbolic in these dreams either. Doesn't happen very often though, and sometimes the dream is wrong (for example, my parents are still married).

So here's something weird that probably belongs in the "altistupid" bin: last summer I climbed Mt. Rainier. It's 14411', completely glaciated, and, at the time of year I was up there, the entire crater rim at the summit is snow-covered. Legend tells of an "Old Man of the Crater" - a hairy thing that some very respected Northwestern mountaineer claims he saw up there one day. I'd been up since midnight, walking since 1 am, and it was around 9 or 10 when we topped out. So I was sleep-deprived. Doubly sleep-deprived, as I'd been up early the previous day and short on sleep for days before as well. People climb Rainier on rope teams to facilitate rescues and arrest falls. Once you leave camp, the only safe place to un-rope is the crater, as there are no crevasses and, inside the crater, it's completely flat. So the only place you see people off rope is in camp or inside the crater. But, that day, as I was coming up to the edge of the crater, getting slapped around by some very cold wind, I saw an old woman in fluffy down jacket standing on my side (the slope side) of the crater rim. No pack. No axe. I'm not even sure she had a helmet, and she was not roped in. I'm not sure she even had her harness on. She smiled at me as I came by and then when I turned around she was gone. I kept looking for her while I was in the crater because I was sure she was part of one of the teams up there, but I didn't see her. Now there're lots of possible explanations. I could have been seeing things. I could also have been not seeing things - maybe she was properly equipped and I somehow missed all of that and her partner(s). It could also be that there was a very foolish old woman up on the mountain that day. Or maybe that old mountaineer is wrong and it's really an Old Woman of the Crater and she's not scary or hairy. In fact, she seemed rather sweet.

I didn't ask my teammates if they saw her. I was the leader, see, and I don't want them to think I was losing my mind up there.

"He attacks. And here I can kill him. But I don't. That's the answer to world peace, people."
-Stickles Shihan

Profile Quote
Lord_Morningstar
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 21 May , 2007 11:37 am

14,000 feet is really tall enough for oxygen deprivation to set in, otherwise, I'd be inclined to blame that. The first man to complete a solo oxygen-free ascent of Everest swore he had a companion with him the whole way.

As it stands, it looks like lack of sleep.

[Space for Rent]

Profile Quote
Lily Rose
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 21 May , 2007 12:26 pm
stranded in dreamland

Lack of sleep is entirely likely. The other possible explanation is that you saw an imprint of someone who had been there before.[/u]

I still cling to hope
And I believe in love

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 2  [ 33 posts ]
Return to “The Symposium” | Jump to page 1 2 »
Jump to: