Where?

0% [ 0 ]
Total votes: 21
Crucifer
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 10 Oct , 2007 9:33 pm
A song outlasts a dynasty.

Ara-anna wrote:
I'm sure France, Poland, Austria and the Jews all appreciate that.
If the bulldog hadn't held the hun back, and valiantly weakened it's forces, America would have had a much tougher time of it. OK, so the British didn't manage to advance on the continent until the US came along, but Hitler didn't manage to advance on the US, because Britain got in the way.

Russia (though the USSR was, I admit, a living hell for many) helped too.

Sleep is a death; Oh, make me try by sleeping what it is to die.

Profile Quote
Faramond
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 10 Oct , 2007 11:01 pm
Digger

Quote:
but Hitler didn't manage to advance on the US, because Britain got in the way.
Britain, and the Atlantic Ocean. I always say the Atlantic Ocean doesn't get enough credit for helping to win WWII.

Profile Quote
Ara-anna
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 10 Oct , 2007 11:02 pm
Daydream Believer

Faramond wrote:
Quote:
but Hitler didn't manage to advance on the US, because Britain got in the way.
Britain, and the Atlantic Ocean. I always say the Atlantic Ocean doesn't get enough credit for helping to win WWII.
Not to mention Fat Man and Little Boy. ;)

Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in

Five seconds away from the Tetons and Yellowstone

Profile Quote
Wilma
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 11 Oct , 2007 5:30 am
Takoyaki is love

OK I just started reading thyis thread. I don't know if it was pointed out but I think in some places of the world, some people had a good idea of Bush's negative side long before he got elected. I think it stuff that the general US public was unaware so when Americans witnessed it was sort of a shock. I feel very confident saying that george Bush did not know much or care much about foreign policy. THen when September 11th happened the response was well dissapointingly unsurprising. I remember once when he was running for President the first time, he got asked who was the Prime Minister of Pakistan was. He didn't know and maybe to some people it didn't matter since who cares about Pakistan anyway. September 11 th happened, I am sure Bush was practicing how to say "Musharaff" (I don't know how to spell it, me sorry). Some Canadians did a joke on him when Bush was running for President the first time where it was extraordinarily clear that Bush did not know the name of our Prime Minister and on top of that at the time I think Jean Chretien was our Prime minister w for like 6 years so he wasn't new. I mean It's Bush's next door neighbour and largest trading partner!!!
I mean that was a pretty bad sign.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/This_Hour_ ... an_Poutine
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2000/03/ ... 00302.html
http://dewit.ca/archs/poutine/index.html

I am sure there is video somewhere but I can't find it!!!

EDIT: after some more thinking about my terrible and very dissapointing experience working in the Ontario Election today .Rather then putting it in a another post, other nations do terrible horrible things (Canada has) yet they are not quite as under the microscrope as the US and that makes it much easier for other countries to sweep things under the rug. About countries helping out other countries it happens yet, it seems after a few decades of history ( or heck even a week) that help is minimized and even ignored, even if it was vital at the time.

Lets just say my work today sort shattered my faith in some older "adults"

Itoshiki Sensei from Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei. Avatar by: sparklessence

"There is no such thing as coincidence in this world, only hitsuzen." - Yuko Ichihara and Kimihiro Watanuki - xxxHolic

"I'm modest, I'll keep my knickers on and die!" - My sister Grace commenting on Bear Gryllis on an episode of Oprah :rofl:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Wilma
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 11 Oct , 2007 6:42 am
Takoyaki is love

OK I read the thread now. Oh dear. I think, Iaavas Saar hit the nail on the head with the US thinking they are the model to the world and they are the freest etc. I think that is the big problem many other parts of the world have with the US.

Also whoa TM what you said about the rest of the world sitting idly by while dictators rise and the US has to quel them, well you know many of the "dictators" were allies when the US supported them and looked the other way when terrible crimes happened . THey only became dictators against "feedom" Once these "Allies" decided not to do what the US wanted. Really stuff about freedom and dictators and the U.S. being the moral police of the world is really truly and honestly about the US protecting their foreign economic interests. Because when a country has a "dictator/ally" which has not much economic value, the U.S. and many other countries don't give a damn *coughRwandacough* Ever heard of the term "Regime change"?. Alot the time that is said in many US speeches that don't get widely publized (sp?) regime change isn't about spreading freedom to repressed countries (although the U.S media and gov't may claim to be), it's really about taking a down a gov't the U.S. dosen't like and installing or supporting a gov't that will be friendly to U.S. interests. The average citizen that has been "liberated by the U.S." they are just as repressed as before if not more. Research the U.S. foreign policy in the mideast. You know Hussein was "friends"/supported by the US right? When a 19 Saudi guys hijack and crash planes into buildings it just has to be Iraq's fault.

I tried very hard to be polite, if it did not show through I am sorry.

Itoshiki Sensei from Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei. Avatar by: sparklessence

"There is no such thing as coincidence in this world, only hitsuzen." - Yuko Ichihara and Kimihiro Watanuki - xxxHolic

"I'm modest, I'll keep my knickers on and die!" - My sister Grace commenting on Bear Gryllis on an episode of Oprah :rofl:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Dave_LF
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 11 Oct , 2007 4:10 pm
You are hearing me talk

Wilma wrote:
I think in some places of the world, some people had a good idea of Bush's negative side long before he got elected.
That includes about 51% of the US itself.

Profile Quote
Crucifer
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 11 Oct , 2007 5:54 pm

Wilma wrote:
OK I read the thread now. Oh dear. I think, Iaavas Saar hit the nail on the head with the US thinking they are the model to the world and they are the freest etc. I think that is the big problem many other parts of the world have with the US.

Also whoa TM what you said about the rest of the world sitting idly by while dictators rise and the US has to quel them, well you know many of the "dictators" were allies when the US supported them and looked the other way when terrible crimes happened . THey only became dictators against "feedom" Once these "Allies" decided not to do what the US wanted. Really stuff about freedom and dictators and the U.S. being the moral police of the world is really truly and honestly about the US protecting their foreign economic interests. Because when a country has a "dictator/ally" which has not much economic value, the U.S. and many other countries don't give a damn *coughRwandacough* Ever heard of the term "Regime change"?. Alot the time that is said in many US speeches that don't get widely publized (sp?) regime change isn't about spreading freedom to repressed countries (although the U.S media and gov't may claim to be), it's really about taking a down a gov't the U.S. dosen't like and installing or supporting a gov't that will be friendly to U.S. interests. The average citizen that has been "liberated by the U.S." they are just as repressed as before if not more. Research the U.S. foreign policy in the mideast. You know Hussein was "friends"/supported by the US right? When a 19 Saudi guys hijack and crash planes into buildings it just has to be Iraq's fault.

I tried very hard to be polite, if it did not show through I am sorry.
:yes:

Profile Quote
Lidless
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 11 Oct , 2007 6:15 pm
Als u het leven te ernstig neemt, mist u de betekenis.

The old maxom during the Reagan years was, "The US were late for WW1, late for WW2, but plan on being bang on time for WW3."

I'd say these days they're planning on being early.

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 11 Oct , 2007 7:10 pm

The US has only been a "superpower" for about 60 years. I wouldn't get all worked up about it. How much longer can that status last? How long was the British Empire a superpower? (Yes, I'm ignorant, I really don't know!) The Soviet Union didn't last long as a superpower. How long can the US retain the status with dwindling natural resources?

My point is that right now, the US is still a major influence on the rest of the world. For now. It won't last long. A couple of decades or a couple of centuries and someone else will be the big dog. The US hasn't been big scary superpower for the length of a single long human life yet. Either way we won't have made as much of a splash in history as the Roman Empire. We are just a flash in the pan so far.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Crucifer
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 11 Oct , 2007 7:30 pm

The British Empire lasted quite a while...

It was the largest empire in history...

It's origins are wayyy back in 1496, when they discovered Canada (looking for Asia). Of course, for me, it's conquest began back in the 11th century when they took my country, but that's just me.

[quote = "Wikipedia"]By 1921, the British Empire held sway over a population of about 458 million people, approximately one-quarter of the world's population. It covered about 36.6 million km² (14.2 million square miles), about a quarter of Earth's total land area. As a result, its legacy is widespread, in legal and governmental systems, economic practice, militarily, educational systems, sports (such as cricket, rugby and football), and in the global spread of the English language. At the peak of its power, it was often said that "the sun never sets on the British Empire" because its span across the globe ensured that the sun was always shining on at least one of its numerous colonies or subject nations.[/quote]

In the fifty years after WW2, most of the Empire gained independence.
The British Empire ended realistically in 1997, when Hong Kong gained independence, but there are still 14 overseas territories that recognise British sovereignty.

Profile Quote
TheMary
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 11 Oct , 2007 10:45 pm
I took the stars from my eyes, and then I made a map, And knew that somehow I could find my way back; Then I heard your heart beating, you were in the darkness too - So I stayed in the darkness with you

You didn't offend Wilma I know your heart is in the right place. My posts were emotional and lacked substance.

There is a lot of UK talk and not nearly enough US bashing going on :P

Lay down
Your sweet and weary head
Night is falling
You’ve come to journey's end
Sleep now
And dream of the ones who came before
They are calling
From across the distant shore

Why do you weep?
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see
All of your fears will pass away
Safe in my arms
You're only sleeping

Profile Quote
Berhael
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 12 Oct , 2007 10:16 am
Milk and kisses

TheMary wrote:
There is a lot of UK talk and not nearly enough US bashing going on :P
We could talk about the Spanish empire, which was the biggest of its time (the 16th-17th century), spanned from America (see, I'm talking about America :D) to the Philippines and large chunks of Europe, including for some time England as Philip II married Mary Tudor so for a brief spell he was king of England. ;)

The Spanish empire slowly collapsed because it was impossible to maintain such wide-ranging dominions with the communications of the age; also, it was (very) badly managed by the Spanish crown. But bits of it lasted until the end of the 19th century, when the US declared war on Spain and we lost Cuba, the last Spanish possession in America.

"Empires" may last centuries, although their heyday may be brief. I've heard the 20th century referred to as "the American century"; I don't doubt that the US influence will still be felt worldwide for a long time, although it might be that it's starting to wane. I wouldn't know; I'm not an expert in international politics. But it does look as if China is starting to jostle for the position of "most powerful nation on earth".

And a last note on America/the US: I know it's common usage, but my pedant side gets annoyed when the two terms are used interchangeably. It's a failure of the English language not to have a word for "USA citizen" (like "Englishman" for "English person"), because the one used - "American" - is incorrect: Argentinians, Canadians, Mexicans etc. are Americans too, as the word refers to the continent. In Spanish we have a highly useful term - "estadounidense", which means "citizen of the Estados Unidos de America (USA)". I miss such a word in English.

"The most terrifying day of your life is the day the first one is born [...] Your life, as you know it... is gone. Never to return. But they learn how to walk, and they learn how to talk... and you want to be with them. And they turn out to be the most delightful people you will ever meet in your life."

Profile Quote
TheMary
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 12 Oct , 2007 10:24 am
I took the stars from my eyes, and then I made a map, And knew that somehow I could find my way back; Then I heard your heart beating, you were in the darkness too - So I stayed in the darkness with you

I fairly certain that I had to learn "estadounidense" in Spanish during my four years in high school :). To be serious though Ber, you have a very valid point concerning the loose usage of the word American and I never even thought of it until you brought forth your observation :oops: .

Man I love history, I just wish I were better at it :love:

Lay down
Your sweet and weary head
Night is falling
You’ve come to journey's end
Sleep now
And dream of the ones who came before
They are calling
From across the distant shore

Why do you weep?
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see
All of your fears will pass away
Safe in my arms
You're only sleeping

Profile Quote
Berhael
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 12 Oct , 2007 10:33 am
Milk and kisses

I don't know if other languages have a similar word. :scratch: I guess the way languages evolve, we've had centuries to devise special words for the Chinese, Egyptian, British, German*, French... and the United States is a relatively modern country, so maybe it isn't surprising that there aren't special term for its citizens.

*Germany is a relatively recent country too, as is Italy: until the 19th century both countries were loose associations of states, although they had a sort of national identity, i.e. the idea of "Italian" and "German" existed as a sort of umbrella nationality above that of Bavarians, Tuscans etc. :)

History is fascinating, isn't it? :)

"The most terrifying day of your life is the day the first one is born [...] Your life, as you know it... is gone. Never to return. But they learn how to walk, and they learn how to talk... and you want to be with them. And they turn out to be the most delightful people you will ever meet in your life."

Profile Quote
Jude
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 12 Oct , 2007 12:28 pm
Aspiring to heresy

Berhael wrote:
I don't know if other languages have a similar word.
How about "Yankee"? I know it's considered slang, but it conveniently fills a void in the language.

One of the problems is that the U.S. doesn't have a name - "United States of America" is a description, not a name. So why don't you come up with one? ;)

In fact, we could have a naming contest right here on this board!

[ img ]

Melkor and Ungoliant in need of some relationship counselling.

Profile Quote
Axordil
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 12 Oct , 2007 1:28 pm
Not so deep as a well

It's telling that there ARE unique names for people from the various states in the US. I'm a Missourian. People from New York are New Yorkers. If you're from Utah, you're a, um, Utovian. Yeah, that's it, Utovian. Those from Wyoming are Wyomites, not to be confused with Sodomites. From Maine you have Maniacs, from New Hampshire, Tax Resisters. Massachusetts produces Chowderheads. No one is actually from Connecticut, thank God.

Destiny is a rhythm track on which we must improvise.

In some cases, firing the drummer helps.

Profile Quote
Eruname
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 12 Oct , 2007 2:46 pm
Islanded in a Stream of Stars

Last edited by Eruname on Sat 01 Dec , 2007 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Abandon this fleeting world
abandon yourself.
Then the moon and flowers
will guide you along the way.

-Ryokan

http://wanderingthroughmiddleearth.blogspot.com/

Profile Quote
Eruname
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 12 Oct , 2007 2:51 pm
Islanded in a Stream of Stars

Last edited by Eruname on Sat 01 Dec , 2007 1:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Abandon this fleeting world
abandon yourself.
Then the moon and flowers
will guide you along the way.

-Ryokan

http://wanderingthroughmiddleearth.blogspot.com/

Profile Quote
tinwe
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 12 Oct , 2007 2:51 pm
Waiting for winter

And you had better be careful if you try calling a Southerner a Yankee. Them’s fightin’ words.

Let’s see, I don’t guess USAian would work. How about Statesmen! Oh no, GWB disproved that concept.

The thing about the other North and South American countries sharing the name “American” is that they already have their own names. Argentinian, Canadian, Mexican - it may be presumptuous of us (us being US) to use the name American exclusively for ourselves, but is there really any confusion caused by doing so?

I’m perfectly happy to be called a Southerner myself, although there are many places in the world that are “south” that are not the South. :)

Edit - cross posted with Eru - well, great minds and all ... :D

[ img ]

I am a child, I'll last a while.
You can't conceive
of the pleasure in my smile.

Profile Quote
Holbytla
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 12 Oct , 2007 3:45 pm
Grumpy cuz I can be

I was referred to as "the Yank" when I was in England.
There was no distinction between north and south.
At least I wasn't called the rebel. :P

Because there are continents called America is no reason people living in the US can't be called Americans. America is at least part of our name. And I am not so sure we named ourselves anyway. People not from this country call us Americans.

Personally I think it is much ado about nuthin.
I couldn't care less. You can call me a Colonist if you want. :D

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 7 of 9  [ 167 posts ]
Return to “The Symposium” | Jump to page « 15 6 7 8 9 »
Jump to: