board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

Senseless

Post Reply   Page 2 of 2  [ 37 posts ]
Jump to page « 1 2
Which one sense would you want to be left with?
Touch

25% [ 5 ]
Smell

10% [ 2 ]
Taste

0% [ 0 ]
Sight

40% [ 8 ]
Hearing

20% [ 4 ]
Humor

5% [ 1 ]
Total votes: 20
Jonny
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 09 Oct , 2007 7:18 pm
pixel-pusher

I'm with Lily. Only one sense? I think I'd rather not be alive... I'm not that strong :)

“And the ship went out into the High Sea and passed into the West, until at last on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a far green country under a swift sunrise.”

Profile Quote
Crucifer
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 09 Oct , 2007 8:10 pm
A song outlasts a dynasty.

Ditto...

Sleep is a death; Oh, make me try by sleeping what it is to die.

Profile Quote
Alatar
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 09 Oct , 2007 10:38 pm
of Vinyamar

You know whats funny? I glanced at the Symp and it seemed to be saying

Bash the US
Senseless

:)

[ img ]
These are my friends, see how they glisten...

Profile Quote
Jude
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 09 Oct , 2007 10:41 pm
Aspiring to heresy

:LMAO:

[ img ]

Melkor and Ungoliant in need of some relationship counselling.

Profile Quote
Cenedril_Gildinaur
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 11 Oct , 2007 4:27 am

Don't forget that pain is part of the sense of touch. Psychologists like to tell the story about the kid with no sense of pain who would often bite his tongue until it bled simply because he liked the taste of blood.

Pain - nature's way of saying "Don't Do That You Idiot!"

It is a myth that coercion is necessary in order to force people to get along together, but it is a persistent myth because it feeds a desire many people have. That desire is to be able to justify hurting people who have done nothing other than offend them in some way.

Last edited by Cenedril_Gildinaur on Tue Feb 30, 2026 13:61 am; edited 426 times in total

Profile Quote
Cenandil
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 03 Dec , 2007 3:29 pm

defenitley touch, as difficult as the choise is, i couldn't think of a life without the ability to feel my beautifull girlfriends face and anymore...

If you Try to be Somebody else,
you Waste the person you Allready are…

Courage is not Absence of Fear,
Its to Wet yourself but Still continue !

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 13 Aug , 2008 6:22 pm

I think I'm losing my sense of smell. I can only detect the strongest odors anymore, and those are rather faint. This morning I tried sniffing a bottle of rubbing alcohol (which once would have brought tears to my eyes) and this time I could only catch a faint whiff of the smell. My nose started stinging in pain a minute later, so there is nothing wrong with the potency of the isopropyl alcohol- my sensors for it are just about gone it seems.

I'm going to miss smelling things. All the rose bushes in my yard were picked because they were highly fragrant varieties. I just planted a lilac bush this year, hoping for smelly pretty blooms some year. I guess they'll be there, but by then it's likely I'll only be able to see them.

This is kind of sad. :(

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Riverthalos
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 13 Aug , 2008 6:44 pm
bioalchemist

You might want to make sure you don't have a blocked off air passage in there MH. I lost most of my sense of smell after breaking my nose a couple years ago. One of the most immediate effects of the surgery to reverse the damage was the return of my sense of smell. That came back even before the swelling had gone all the way down. I didn't even realize how much I'd lost until it came back.

I've also noticed that if I'm an idiot around the HCl or acetic acid I'll compromise my nose for a day or two. Have you been doing anything dumb with concentrated acids lately?

"He attacks. And here I can kill him. But I don't. That's the answer to world peace, people."
-Stickles Shihan

Profile Quote
Meril36
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 13 Aug , 2008 9:07 pm

Have you been to a doctor about it?

Trying for profundity only limits depth.

With all the anger in the land, how long before the judgement day? Before we cut the fat ones down to size? Before the barricades arise?

Visit my art gallery at deviantART.

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 14 Aug , 2008 4:19 am
The Grey Amaretto as Supermega-awesome Proud Heretic Girl

I would also recommend trying a neti pot, and I recommend going to the doctor, too.

Sometimes, people do just lose their sense of smell. My grandma did.

I hope it's something easily reversed, though, for you.

Lali

[ img ]

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 14 Aug , 2008 2:01 pm

I haven't been messing with noxious chemicals and I haven't been to a doctor yet. My nose isn't clogged at all, so I don't think anything needs clearing out. It's just been the last couple days that I've come to the realization that it's not the world that's been changing, it's me. No, we don't have mutant low odor skunks around here. No, the Russian olive tree in our yard didn't start producing less fragrant blooms this year. No, my daughter probably isn't being too picky when she says the puppy smells like a dog.

I finally looked it up the day before yesterday, and losing the sense of smell is called anosmia. I'm relatively lucky in that I can still smell some things. Some people lose it all. I can still catch a whiff of strong odors. It was strange last night, when I was cooking I cut up an onion, and could only smell a faint hint of onion smell- but when I started cooking the onion in the skillet, THAT smell came through loud and clear. :shrug: I couldn't smell the hamburger cooking with it, but the browned onion smell was one I evidently still have receptors for.

I probably will get this looked at, if only to eliminate the possibility of a tumor causing this malfunction.

What's scary, though, is there seems to be a link between anosmia and Alzheimer's later on- and my worst nightmares in the past few years have been about losing my memory. So that's not fun to contemplate.

This does explain why I haven't been cooking much this summer. Much of the appeal of home cooked meals is how good they smell as you prepare them, and I guess without the associated smells, I can't be bothered with cooking. Frozen dinners are "better", because they use more flavors I can taste with my tongue like salt, sweet, sour, bitter and MSG. All other flavors are pretty much comprised of smells. Lacking the smells, the commercial food with it's over-abundance of the chemicals I can taste would be more appealing.

I'm going back to cooking again, because it is healthier, and the rest of my family can still appreciate the smells. It's probably not good that the primary cook of the family can't detect spoiled food with her nose, though. :suspicious: When in doubt, I'll make my husband sniff stuff for me. Most everything smells *clean* to me now.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Meril36
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 14 Aug , 2008 4:06 pm

You know the Ben half of Ben and Jerry's suffers from anosmia, which is why Ben and Jerry's ice cream is so textured -- it's so Ben Cohen can still kind of appreciate it even though his sense of taste is compromised.

I recently read an article about anosmia and it sounds absolutely horrible. So much depends on our sense of smell, even though it's not that powerful compared to other animals'.

Trying for profundity only limits depth.

With all the anger in the land, how long before the judgement day? Before we cut the fat ones down to size? Before the barricades arise?

Visit my art gallery at deviantART.

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 14 Aug , 2008 4:20 pm
The Grey Amaretto as Supermega-awesome Proud Heretic Girl

:( I don't like that link between anosmia and Alzheimer's.

Freddy's sense of smell is not nearly as good as mine; I worry about him sometimes, but I don't think his case qualifies as anosmia--at least not yet.

I would hate to lose my sense of smell. You don't realize how much you do depend on it. And the link between smell and memory is a dear one for me.

Lali

[ img ]

Profile Quote
theduffster
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 10 Sep , 2008 11:20 pm
Damn those Amish!!

I would hate to lose my sight. I don't really process information until I read it. Don't explain directions to me, draw me a map. I can't listen to audiobooks, I have to read books. If I can't read, I...don't know what I'd do!

Maria, how's your sense of smell now? Still not so good?

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Post subject: Re: Senseless
Posted: Fri 14 Nov , 2008 4:11 pm

Sorry I missed your question, duffster!

I found that when I stopped eating sweets, the sense of smell came back. :)

However, I don't have the willpower to not eat sweets altogether, and I've been sneaking more and more into my diet. Sometimes I get phantom smells an hour or so after eating sweet stuff- it's sort of a sickly sweet burnt sugar sort of smell. But not all the time. Just yesterday I noticed that the burny sweet odor only shows up when I eat something with high fructose corn syrup in it.

In other words, on the mornings I put Log Cabin "maple" syrup on my pancakes, I get the icky phantom smell. But the mornings when I put honey on them, my nose is fine. I'm going to try only eating sweet stuff made from sugar or honey for few days and see how that goes. This whole smell thing could be a reaction to high fructose corn syrup.

Perhaps my whole nose issue should be split off in a different thread? It doesn't have much to do with the actual thread. :oops:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Fri 14 Nov , 2008 4:20 pm
Aspiring to heresy

Since you put "maple" into quotes, I'm assuming that the syrup you use is fake maple?

Do you get the phantom smell when you use real maple syrup?

[ img ]

Melkor and Ungoliant in need of some relationship counselling.

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Posted: Fri 14 Nov , 2008 4:44 pm

I don't know. I'll have to try that. :) I used to buy real maple syrup once in a while, up until last year, but it's so expensive I haven't been doing it recently. Of course, honey is expensive too, but I *really* like honey. :)

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 2 of 2  [ 37 posts ]
Return to “The Symposium” | Jump to page « 1 2
Jump to: