The Last Homely Site on the Web

Abolition of Violent War--ie, the American Idiot as War Fuel

Post Reply   Page 1 of 2  [ 22 posts ]
Jump to page 1 2 »
Legolas the elf
Post subject: Abolition of Violent War--ie, the American Idiot as War Fuel
Posted: Mon 15 Oct , 2007 4:56 am
Trudging the road of happy destiny...

EDIT: American Idiot= 1. media hypnotized, resource consumer who doesn't realize the negative effects of his/her consuming has on others. 2. one who's unresolved existential problems results in killing of others by their elected officials--those elected to make moral decisions for them.

In today's world, we have nuclear weapons that could basically ruin the entire planet of humans at every moment. By their mere existence, every moment we are in danger of receiving mass death.

Or, at the very least, say bombs go off that don't destroy the entire planet, but only one country. Say an atomic bomb is dropped on England, or New York City, for example. It would be complete chaos and the end of society as we know it.

So the point I'm here to say is:

Violent war has become archaic. We humans have peaked out the violence thing. We've become so good at killing the enemy, we kill his ENTIRE WORLD!...but wait? That's OUR WORLD TOO! So basically, violence is not a reasonable solution anymore.

Right! my point/belief is:

Non-violence is the answer. As a species, and as individuals, it is time for us to actually use our ENTIRE brains to control our egos and to grow up.

Like the whole "war" in the Middle East. Just think about it:

Bush, the leader of the world's Great Power, the spearhead of man's progress from the primordial ooze.....provoking "conflict" with Arab's over oil, knowing full well that all it would take would be for some Arabs to get ahold of one of those and bomb the U.S. If they would fly planes into the Towers, why wouldn't they be willing to drop an atomic bomb?? (which, since they haven't surprises the hell out of me, and leads me to believe the U.S. must have let the planes hit the Towers). Shouldn't the Leader of our Country, be more concerned about NOT starting wars, then willfully retaliating like were in some fucking James Bond movie, when there is enough nuclear fireworks to have a REAL grand finale??? This ain't no movie, this is our WORLD!
How STUPID and SELFISH are we Americans, to be in the 21st century, to to RE-ELECT Bush, knowing damn well he's a puppet??????? How STUPID are we Americans?? Is risking it all worth the pathetic rush of getting the flaunt the "W The President" bumper sticker? As Americans, citizens of a great World Power, if not the greatest, I believe it is our responsibility as individuals to be the most progressive....yet, we re-elect Bush, some of us put 'support our troops' stickers on our cars, and worse "W" The President stickers, let mass media think for us, never question anything, assume people in the government are looking out for our best interests, habitually tune into sitcoms instead of learning about what's really going on in our world, talk to people accross the globe via emails/cell phones yet ignore our neighbors, focus on how Britney Spears is fucking up this week, go to church and try to see who's best at hiding imperfection, consume all kinds of plastic crap that is designed to break so we'll buy more to use up more oil to produce it, so more money will be put in ol' Bushie's pocket-----> in a nut shell: we are programmed to KEEP UP WITH THE FUCKING JONES' because we care more about what people we don't know, nor like, think about us more than what we think about ourselves. We're merely a herd...a herd of chicken shit posers. We love Sauron's chains. We've got a hole in our souls we fill with false promises...and the sad thing is: we KNOW it, yet do nothing abou t it.

Fuck this shit! Change!!!!
:cheers:

I wish I were smarter, I'd be more convincing! :P

Last edited by Legolas the elf on Mon 15 Oct , 2007 10:00 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Profile Quote
10FTTALL
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 15 Oct , 2007 10:11 am

Ok, you first. You go right ahead. You're working off old news, buddy. Vastly destructive nuclear weapons have been around for a while now. Everybody was scared shitless for a while, but we've pretty much gotten over it. If you're too young and feel like you missed out on your chance to be scared shitless, go ahead and freak out.

[ img ]

Loyal subject to the Crown

Profile Quote
Legolas the elf
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 15 Oct , 2007 11:29 am

Indeed, old news: which is why it's so saddening. We've known this for too long, and done nothing.

It's not so much that I'm scared shitless for my own skin and am gonna freak out for myself. I'm past that. Being a part of a society that values life for life itself, is what gives me hope....I want others to have the opportunity to enjoy the simplest joys of life after I'm dead. I'm not gonna be around forever, nor will specific people I know. I've accepted death. As a human, I think I have an instinct that wants to preserve the species. These bombs are just not worth the risk, is my point.

I catch your drift though: Living in fear is wasteful, and in vain. But simply pretending the fear is not there does not solve the problem....that's what America's problem is. We just live in our own media-created bubbles. But atomic bombs can penetrate those bubbles.

Profile Quote
Crucifer
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 15 Oct , 2007 6:53 pm
A song outlasts a dynasty.

I agree with you 100% that non-violence is the absolute goal of humankind.

But if the US totally disarms, it leaves itself open to attack from reft light and center...

Sleep is a death; Oh, make me try by sleeping what it is to die.

Profile Quote
vison
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 15 Oct , 2007 7:08 pm
Best friends forever

Crucifer wrote:

But if the US totally disarms, it leaves itself open to attack from reft light and center...
Really? Like who? Who do you visualize all of a sudden nuking the US?

And why would they do it? :scratch:

Living on Earth is expensive,
but it does include a free trip
around the sun every year.

Profile Quote
Shadowjack
Post subject: Re: Abolition of Violent War--ie, the American Idiot as War
Posted: Mon 15 Oct , 2007 7:28 pm
The Keeper of the Splendiferous Sword

Legolas the elf wrote:
In today's world, we have nuclear weapons that could basically ruin the entire planet of humans at every moment. By their mere existence, every moment we are in danger of receiving mass death.

Or, at the very least, say bombs go off that don't destroy the entire planet, but only one country. Say an atomic bomb is dropped on England, or New York City, for example. It would be complete chaos and the end of society as we know it.

So the point I'm here to say is:

Violent war has become archaic. We humans have peaked out the violence thing. We've become so good at killing the enemy, we kill his ENTIRE WORLD!...but wait? That's OUR WORLD TOO! So basically, violence is not a reasonable solution anymore.

Right! my point/belief is:

Non-violence is the answer. As a species, and as individuals, it is time for us to actually use our ENTIRE brains to control our egos and to grow up.

Like the whole "war" in the Middle East. Just think about it:

Bush, the leader of the world's Great Power, the spearhead of man's progress from the primordial ooze.....provoking "conflict" with Arab's over oil, knowing full well that all it would take would be for some Arabs to get ahold of one of those and bomb the U.S. If they would fly planes into the Towers, why wouldn't they be willing to drop an atomic bomb?? (which, since they haven't surprises the hell out of me, and leads me to believe the U.S. must have let the planes hit the Towers). Shouldn't the Leader of our Country, be more concerned about NOT starting wars, then willfully retaliating like were in some fucking James Bond movie, when there is enough nuclear fireworks to have a REAL grand finale??? This ain't no movie, this is our WORLD!
How STUPID and SELFISH are we Americans, to be in the 21st century, to to RE-ELECT Bush, knowing damn well he's a puppet??????? How STUPID are we Americans?? Is risking it all worth the pathetic rush of getting the flaunt the "W The President" bumper sticker? As Americans, citizens of a great World Power, if not the greatest, I believe it is our responsibility as individuals to be the most progressive....yet, we re-elect Bush, some of us put 'support our troops' stickers on our cars, and worse "W" The President stickers, let mass media think for us, never question anything, assume people in the government are looking out for our best interests, habitually tune into sitcoms instead of learning about what's really going on in our world, talk to people accross the globe via emails/cell phones yet ignore our neighbors, focus on how Britney Spears is fucking up this week, go to church and try to see who's best at hiding imperfection, consume all kinds of plastic crap that is designed to break so we'll buy more to use up more oil to produce it, so more money will be put in ol' Bushie's pocket-----> in a nut shell: we are programmed to KEEP UP WITH THE FUCKING JONES' because we care more about what people we don't know, nor like, think about us more than what we think about ourselves. We're merely a herd...a herd of chicken shit posers. We love Sauron's chains. We've got a hole in our souls we fill with false promises...and the sad thing is: we KNOW it, yet do nothing abou t it.

Fuck this shit! Change!!!!
:cheers:

I wish I were smarter, I'd be more convincing! :P

Ok.. wake up.. as a few of the more enlightened in here have said.. you seem to be behind the curve. Yes.. America by itself has enough tech and Nukes to completely wipe out our planet. So does the now defunket Soviet union. So does most likely China.. maybe Japan.. etc. And smaller countries are trying to gear up for the same.
But what you don't realise is this.. it's a no win situation. If even one country fires there entire arsenal.. our planet is fucked.

thus all the small wars with small arms. NO ONE wants the button pushed. In fact at this point it's almost a war of politeness... I'll only kill so many if you do this... ok.. well I want that... ok.. but if you kill anyone here.. we will kill some people there.

We are all chess pieces at this point.

I was in the war. Killed people. I was, well I would like to think of more than a pawn.. maybe a rook or a castle..lol but yea..

But don't blame America. This thread of yours.. only shows ignorance.. The American Idiot war Fuel. We only step in when asked or begged. We don't start the war.. but we dam sure end it...

[ img ]

Some there be that shadows kiss;
Such have but a shadows bliss.
-Shakespeare-

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 15 Oct , 2007 7:47 pm

You aren't going to get an abolition of war as long as humans are still human. Now, if we evolve into something else eventually, there may be a chance. But as long as there are violent people, violent responses are going to be necessary, at all levels of government.

Sure it would be *nice* if everyone would get along with everyone else and everyone would be *happy* together- but it's not going to happen even if everyone has all the food they want and are living happily ever after. There will always be someone worked up enough about injustices, imagined or real, who will resort to violence in order to get what they want.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Crucifer
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 15 Oct , 2007 7:48 pm
A song outlasts a dynasty.

Quote:
Who do you visualize all of a sudden nuking the US?
Not nuking the US specifically, but if the US removed the threat of nuclear attack from over the heads of those who aren't so keen on the US (Al Qaeda comes to mind, among others) they would be more inclined to attack, as the threat of instant obliteration at the touch of a button is removed.

Of course, shadowjack is absolutely right that as long as everyone has the power to end life, no one is going to push the button first. The fact that there would be no one to remember the event aside, who wants to be remembered as the person who started the end?

Sleep is a death; Oh, make me try by sleeping what it is to die.

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 15 Oct , 2007 8:01 pm

Here's the guy who didn't start a nuclear war, although according to his standing orders, he should have. :bow: :bow: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanislav_Petrov

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Ara-anna
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 15 Oct , 2007 8:08 pm
Daydream Believer

vison wrote:
Crucifer wrote:

Really? Like who? Who do you visualize all of a sudden nuking the US?

And why would they do it? :scratch:
probably Canada, fruedian compensation.

Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in

Five seconds away from the Tetons and Yellowstone

Profile Quote
vison
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 15 Oct , 2007 9:03 pm
Best friends forever

Hm. So in some way the US arsenal is "the big penis" and Canada has a littler penis? I never thought of it that way, myself.

Canada is much larger than the US and has a smaller belly, that's the way I look at it. We're, like, the muscley hunk at the beach who is nicely shaped all over with appropriately sized appendages and teh US is the shorter, balding, older guy who wears a codpiece? See what I mean?

This reminds me of a terrible joke: (any Newfoundlanders, do NOT be offended, this joke was told to me by a Newfoundlander)

So, yer Newf is off to Florida for a vacation one January. He's blown away by the beaches and the babes, etc., but is sorta bummed because the babes don't pay as much attention to him as they do to Pierre, the boyo from Montreal.

"Say, Pierre," sez our Newf. "I notice the babes go fer you in a big way, and I was wonderin', yes, yes I wuz, what's yer secret an' all?"

"Why, eet is ver' simple," Pierre sez. "I merely put a potato in my Speedo."

"A potato, ya say? Well, well, that's simple enuff, eh?" So our Newf trots off to the grocery store and buys a nicely shaped Russet.

The next day he saunters down to the beach, potato in place. But, strange to say, the babes stay even FURTHER away from him and he is REALLY bummed.

He sidles up to Pierre at the ice cream stand. "Say, Pierre, ol' fella, I took yer advice on the potato, ya know and I hafta tell ya, by the thunderin' lard jasus, it sure didn't work!"

Pierre sighed. "But, you see, you should have put the potato in front . . ."

Profile Quote
Legolas the elf
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 15 Oct , 2007 9:40 pm

Shadowjack said:
Quote:
Ok.. wake up.. as a few of the more enlightened in here have said.. you seem to be behind the curve. Yes.. America by itself has enough tech and Nukes to completely wipe out our planet. So does the now defunket Soviet union. So does most likely China.. maybe Japan.. etc. And smaller countries are trying to gear up for the same.
That's part of my point: EVERYONE has them....whether it's one country or all, it makes little difference. Their mere existence should be a catalyst for a new thought, a new way of living for humans(not just America, humans as a SPECIES) to consider besides violence.
Quote:
thus all the small wars with small arms. NO ONE wants the button pushed. In fact at this point it's almost a war of politeness... I'll only kill so many if you do this... ok.. well I want that... ok.. but if you kill anyone here.. we will kill some people there.
Yes, how sad that negotiating can't be done w/o violence.

Quote:
We are all chess pieces at this point.

Some more than others. I'd say those who willfully contribute to the violent chess game are more apart of it than those who oppose it for a different style of co-existing.

Quote:
But don't blame America. This thread of yours.. only shows ignorance.. The American Idiot war Fuel. We only step in when asked or begged. We don't start the war.. but we dam sure end it...
You may not view the people of America responsible for their actions(or inactions) but I do. From the point of view of how much the average American consumes compared to third world country people is insane. Our culture is one of consumption. Americans are responsible for his. And the inaction to spend more of our resources on more positive things, (like sustainable forestry in 3rd world countries, where forests are being exploited most alarmingly) than war is wasteful. We consume faster and exploit resources more and more, always at the cost of the weaker 3rd world country, who if not exploited by the U.S, has to exploit their own resources just to stay afloat in the world market we helped create.
And today, it's really become more than just the U.S.....we're now in a global society. Our industrial revolution has spread to other countries. The most enlightened human today is one who a view of the nations as one giant union. The world's population is growing and the world ain't getting biiger....cultures are fusing w/ one another...diversity is naturally fading out. But I digress, Modern Man's consumption of resources is excessive and should be looked at. By the American Idiot, I was referring to consumers locked in a world of ignorance....a world of which I'm trying to get out of. As Americans, we are in position to be the spearhead of great change.
We only step in when begged? We were begged to go to Iraq? By whom? did we not fear another oil embargo?

Maria Hobbit said:
Quote:
You aren't going to get an abolition of war as long as humans are still human. Now, if we evolve into something else eventually, there may be a chance. But as long as there are violent people, violent responses are going to be necessary, at all levels of government.
That's not what non-violence stands for. If you want to protect your TV sitcoms, your Britney Spears tabloids, your lazy-boy recliner, your air conditioning unit, and your credit card account instead of your own soul, then by all means, stay "safe" and cynical. But for any kind of redemption, we've got to sacrifice the shit we don't need in the end. I'd rather die for something I believe in than live for nothing.

People need to begin to face their existential problems: the emptiness that gnaws at them.
The truth is, most people aren't willing to live like Ghandi. for example...They aren't willing to sacrifice all the stuff they have for higher purpose....myself included..lol.........but atleast I'm beginnning to look at it and bring it up and talk about it.

Quote:
Sure it would be *nice* if everyone would get along with everyone else and everyone would be *happy* together- but it's not going to happen even if everyone has all the food they want and are living happily ever after. There will always be someone worked up enough about injustices, imagined or real, who will resort to violence in order to get what they want.
Good point. But non-violence is all about disarming people w/ love. Sure, one has to be ready to die for non-violence, but we're gonna die anyway one day. Why not spend life on something worthwhile. It's the indifference, the cynicism that kills. It's the cynicism that keeps people miserable and living meaningless lives. *insert Braveheart "Sons of Scotland" speech here*
Lord of the Rings, for example: Don't we love it because of the epic undertaking of GOOD to overcome evil?? Isn't it the GOOD that we root for in the book? And isn't it the GOOD that makes our hearts well up with altruistic love when we read about poor Frodo, a simple hobbit, walking into Mordor for the love of his world?
Why can't we feel this way about our OWN lives??? Our own WORLD?

Profile Quote
Wilma
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 15 Oct , 2007 10:00 pm
Takoyaki is love

I am kind of surprised about stepping in when asked or begged. No one was asking the U.S. to invade Iraq (the current invasion). In fact most of the world was saying don't do it. Uh heard of the Shaw of Iran? I don't think anyone was begging for him.

Although I am gonna say here Europe was stirring the pot for centuries b4 the U.S. started interfering with other countries. So the U.S. can never be blamed entirely although for a lot of people it's pretty convenient.

Itoshiki Sensei from Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei. Avatar by: sparklessence

"There is no such thing as coincidence in this world, only hitsuzen." - Yuko Ichihara and Kimihiro Watanuki - xxxHolic

"I'm modest, I'll keep my knickers on and die!" - My sister Grace commenting on Bear Gryllis on an episode of Oprah :rofl:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Ara-anna
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 16 Oct , 2007 1:26 am
Daydream Believer

vison wrote:
Hm. So in some way the US arsenal is "the big penis" and Canada has a littler penis? I never thought of it that way, myself.

Canada is much larger than the US and has a smaller belly, that's the way I look at it. We're, like, the muscley hunk at the beach who is nicely shaped all over with appropriately sized appendages and teh US is the shorter, balding, older guy who wears a codpiece? See what I mean?

front . . ."
Ya know those muscle bound guys are on steroids. ;)

And yes the US is the Ron Jeremy of the world. :D Short, fat, bald and ugly, but...... :devil:

Profile Quote
Ara-anna
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 16 Oct , 2007 1:30 am
Daydream Believer

I'd like to point out that perhaps some one needs to figure out who the parent company of Amaco is....and what the Iraq contract with Haliburton is with Amaco. And why.

Profile Quote
vison
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 16 Oct , 2007 3:16 am
Best friends forever

Ara-anna wrote:
I'd like to point out that perhaps some one needs to figure out who the parent company of Amaco is....and what the Iraq contract with Haliburton is with Amaco. And why.
Do you mean Aramco?

Profile Quote
oldtoby
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 16 Oct , 2007 3:26 am
Cuddly Studmuffin

Aramco doesnt even exist anymore does it?

Profile Quote
vison
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 16 Oct , 2007 4:11 am
Best friends forever

oldtoby wrote:
Aramco doesnt even exist anymore does it?
Surely you jest?

Well, it's Saudi Aramco now.

I don't know what other company Ara-Anna meant.

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 16 Oct , 2007 1:58 pm

Legolas the elf wrote:
Lord of the Rings, for example: Don't we love it because of the epic undertaking of GOOD to overcome evil?? Isn't it the GOOD that we root for in the book? And isn't it the GOOD that makes our hearts well up with altruistic love when we read about poor Frodo, a simple hobbit, walking into Mordor for the love of his world?
LOTR is a very violent story. It's full of people defending themselves and others with a whole lot of violent actions.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Ara-anna
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 16 Oct , 2007 2:57 pm
Daydream Believer

Amoco. :oops:

Be back later, pretty busy today, been out for 5 days and have a ton of work to do. :)

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 2  [ 22 posts ]
Return to “The Symposium” | Jump to page 1 2 »
Jump to: