2012 doomsday

Post Reply   Page 2 of 2  [ 27 posts ]
Jump to page « 1 2
The Watcher
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 19 Oct , 2007 5:52 pm
Same as it ever was

MariaHobbit wrote:
And really, even if the world is scheduled to end at a particular time... what if we've put on such a good performance that all the spectators demand an encore? Or get some other sort of brief reprieve? If you use up all your resources leading up to The End, and a 50 year encore is suddenly declared- you've really played it wrong. :shrug:

I'll just admire the world more as the clock ticks down. That was a very pretty sunrise this morning. First it was just a solid sheet of pink tinting half the sky, and then it turned pale gold all over. Very nice. :)
Maria -

There have been doomsday prophesies since mankind could write it all down.

There IS not some cosmic key into the universe that makes predictions "happen." It only is validated when people start LOOKING for connections, and, then given the ways that such things can be manipulated and taken out of context, voila, validation seemingly occurs.

For me, I am going on with "life as normal. Granted, "normal" is a crapshoot, why should I see anything more into those events?

Scientists tell us that the fastest animal on earth, with a top speed of 120 miles per second, is a cow that has been dropped from a helicopter.

Never under any circumstances take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

- Dave Barry

Glaciers melting in the dead of night and the superstars sucked into the supermassive...
Supermassive Black Hole.

- Muse

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Crucifer
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 19 Oct , 2007 9:45 pm
A song outlasts a dynasty.

Actually, the way I see it, if everything does end in 5 years, there's no point doing anything different, because it will all have been for nothing. May as well continue the way I am. That way, if we get a reprise, I'm OK...

Sleep is a death; Oh, make me try by sleeping what it is to die.

Profile Quote
Jonny
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 20 Oct , 2007 2:46 am
pixel-pusher

Maria, I don't mean to be sound funny or anything as I have a lot of respect for you, but do you really believe there's a chance that the world will end in 2012? The Mayans may have predicted it, sure. But it's easy to romanticize them, as it is any lost culture. We sometimes forget that they were people just like us. We don't have any special power to predict the future, neither did they. They pulled their pants up one leg at a time just like us.

Granted it's not just the Mayan connection that is being discussed... but if we look hard enough for something... anything... I think we are able to find it, if that makes sense. :)

But in the sense of a "what IF this were true"... to be honest, I would try to live it up. Go for the risks I had never wanted to take.

“And the ship went out into the High Sea and passed into the West, until at last on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a far green country under a swift sunrise.”

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 22 Oct , 2007 1:40 pm

I didn't take the idea seriously until I got a *doom* answer on my own personal divination system.

This bothered me, of course, but since then I've done more reading on the subject of divination, and came across the idea that your own expectations can color the answers you get.

I knew this, but hadn't thought it through. If I was asking "how should one prepare for the end of the world" of course I got an answer of "It's gonna be scary and you need put your affairs in order beforehand".

The I Ching doesn't give yes or no answers. It gives advice on how to deal with change. I gave it the scenario, it gave me an appropriate answer. This in no way means that the world is due to end in 2012- just that IF it does, then one should put one's affairs in order beforehand.

So, I'm not worried about it anymore. Whatever happens, happens. Although... "peak oil" is due to happen about then and might be a civilization ending event anyway. But that's not near as disturbing as the End Of The Existence of Everything. Tougher to deal with, but not as disturbing.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Dave_LF
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 25 Oct , 2007 12:56 am
You are hearing me talk

Quote:
Although... "peak oil" is due to happen about then and might be a civilization ending event anyway.
Actually, it is looking increasingly likely that peak oil happened in 2006 (depending on what exactly you're willing to call oil). That is what a study covered by both CNN and The Guardian concludes, and it is consistent with the predictions private observers not tied to the industry have been making for the past 5-10 years.

CNN
Guardian

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 25 Oct , 2007 1:37 pm

Well, then, the page on "2012" in Wikipedia needs updating! One of the events predicted for that year is Peak Oil.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Dave_LF
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 25 Oct , 2007 4:16 pm
You are hearing me talk

It's not certain that it happened in 2006, just looking more likely as time goes by. 2012 is still perfectly possible. ;)

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 2 of 2  [ 27 posts ]
Return to “The Symposium” | Jump to page « 1 2
Jump to: