The Last Homely Site on the Web

The Megan Meier Suicide: A Case Crying for Justice

Post Reply   Page 1 of 6  [ 110 posts ]
Jump to page 1 2 3 4 5 6 »
The Watcher
Post subject: The Megan Meier Suicide: A Case Crying for Justice
Posted: Tue 20 Nov , 2007 1:06 pm
Same as it ever was

I only learned of this story this morning after being awake in the wee hours, and what I have read is disturbing, to say the least. Here is a synopsis of what occurred:

LINK

Here is a more in depth account of what occurred, that does not name the Drews directly:

LINK

In a way, it seems to be poetic justice for Lori Drew, the mother who feels no guilt because, as in her comments made to the police, Megan had emotional problems and had considered suicide before. I hope the internet takes this story and destroys Lori Drew, rarely have I ever felt such outrage at the actions of an adult, much less the mother of a classmate of Megan's. What could possibly have been going through this woman's head? What type of life lesson was she giving to her own daughter, who was "in" on this sick and cruel joke? Finally, I hope the Meiers' sad tale lets us beef up laws covering clear and blatant cases of cyberstalking so that such events when discovered CAN be addressed with the seriousness that such things deserve.[/url]

Scientists tell us that the fastest animal on earth, with a top speed of 120 miles per second, is a cow that has been dropped from a helicopter.

Never under any circumstances take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

- Dave Barry

Glaciers melting in the dead of night and the superstars sucked into the supermassive...
Supermassive Black Hole.

- Muse

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Axordil
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 20 Nov , 2007 1:23 pm
Not so deep as a well

As TW shows, originally the local paper here didn't publish the Drew's names out of concern for the safety of THEIR daughter--but there was plenty of information in the article that allowed quick confirmation of their identity. The follow-up stories (also linked to by TW) have talked about the burgeoning hostility of the neighborhood towards the Drews, and the shortcomings of the legal system in a case like this.

I think it's only a matter of time before the house gets burned down or something similarly violent happens. It wouldn't surprise me if it happened around the holidays, when people are likely to be emotional about family AND drinking. I don't see why the Drews haven't gotten the hell out of Dodge at this point...are they that stupid or blind or delusional, that they think it will blow over? People shoot each other because trash cans get knocked over by neighbors' dogs, fer chrissake.

Destiny is a rhythm track on which we must improvise.

In some cases, firing the drummer helps.

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 20 Nov , 2007 2:57 pm

That was just evil. :bawl:

That article made me want to drive over and tar and feather them, and drag them out of town chained behind a car, and I'm a relatively peaceful person. How do the actual neighbors and relatives restrain themselves? :scratch:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Ara-anna
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 20 Nov , 2007 3:33 pm
Daydream Believer

I can't imagine being Megan's parents. They were storing stuff for the Drews....And why aren't the Drews moving. OMG I wouldn't even show my face in public if I were them. Megans mom and dad were on the Today show yesterday and said that Lori Drew confronted Megans mom and told her to stop going public with everything and drawing attention the story. How self centered and horrible do adults have to be to do this to a 13 year old. And trying to justify it by saying Megan was already suicidal….wtf…right that makes a buttload of sense…’I’m not guilty because she was already suicidal’ seems to me makes more of a case of guilt. Who pushes a suicidal 13 year old to commit suicide and then uses it as justification of not having anything to do with it?

Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in

Five seconds away from the Tetons and Yellowstone

Profile Quote
Axordil
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 20 Nov , 2007 3:38 pm
Not so deep as a well

I find myself wondering just what percentage of the population are functional and yet have enough low-grade antisocial behavior disorder to be like that: to deny their own culpability in the face of universal condemnation, to act like it's not that big a deal, to be angry that the story is now public as opposed to remorseful at what their actions led to.

It's a wonder they don't work for the Administration.

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 20 Nov , 2007 4:10 pm
The Grey Amaretto as Supermega-awesome Proud Heretic Girl

That's terrible!!!! :bawl:

It seems like a courageous prosecutor could come up with some kind of charge against these people--negligent homicide? Something?

Lali

[ img ]

Profile Quote
vison
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 20 Nov , 2007 5:44 pm
Best friends forever

A very sad and disturbing story.

But I have to say this: what in hell, what in HELL, were these people doing, allowing their daughter to be online? I am absolutely beside myself.

Playing on the internet, being on Facebook, or MSN, or any other kind of cyber-relating, is NOT a necessity and I don't give a rat's ass how "tightly supervised" the child was, if it had been me the goddamned computer would have been unplugged and thrown in the fucking garbage can before I let my kid near it again.

Yes, this other family and its spawn are vile, horrible people. No excuse for them.

Jesus H. Christ. People are fucking out of their minds.

Living on Earth is expensive,
but it does include a free trip
around the sun every year.

Profile Quote
Jonny
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 20 Nov , 2007 6:22 pm
pixel-pusher

Absolutely horrifying.

“And the ship went out into the High Sea and passed into the West, until at last on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a far green country under a swift sunrise.”

Profile Quote
Wilma
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 21 Nov , 2007 5:49 am
Takoyaki is love

THis is pretty sick. I wonder why the Drews have not moved. About adults being involved int this I am not surprised I have seen adults encourage their children to tease or make fun of other people. I have seen adults (parents mind you) resort to calling people names over some stupid line up issue. Some people just have a superiority complex and don't grow out of it. Why were the Meiers letting their daughter go on the internet again anyway, they should have cut her off. I thought there were laws against cyber stalking. I guess not. 13 is too young to be myspacing or Facebooking I think.

Itoshiki Sensei from Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei. Avatar by: sparklessence

"There is no such thing as coincidence in this world, only hitsuzen." - Yuko Ichihara and Kimihiro Watanuki - xxxHolic

"I'm modest, I'll keep my knickers on and die!" - My sister Grace commenting on Bear Gryllis on an episode of Oprah :rofl:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Lord_Morningstar
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 21 Nov , 2007 8:14 am

Lali wrote:
It seems like a courageous prosecutor could come up with some kind of charge against these people--negligent homicide? Something?
It seems like common-law homicide to me, although I'm not familiar with U.S. law.

[Space for Rent]

Profile Quote
TheMary
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 21 Nov , 2007 12:01 pm
I took the stars from my eyes, and then I made a map, And knew that somehow I could find my way back; Then I heard your heart beating, you were in the darkness too - So I stayed in the darkness with you

If Megan wasn't online at her home under her mother's supervision she would have gained access elsewhere. I think Tina Meier did a fine job of making sure her daughter was supervised on the internet.

What I don't understand AT ALL is how a grown woman and mother could create a MySpace account for the sole purpose of hurting a 13 year old girl. Not only did Lori Drews supervise the creation of the account but she allowed other kids to get in on the cruelty. It's sick and twisted and what's more she doesn't feel as guilty because Megan Meier had suicidal thoughts previously?! There are penalties for reckless driving and reckless homicide there has to be something the Drews can be served with! Their actions were completely reckless AND there's proof that there was intent to harm Megan. It's hard enough to be an adolescent without the parents joining the kids in being mean.

My Aunt used to live in O'Fallen only having moved about a year ago. I couldn't image something so terrible happening in such a nice town.

Lay down
Your sweet and weary head
Night is falling
You’ve come to journey's end
Sleep now
And dream of the ones who came before
They are calling
From across the distant shore

Why do you weep?
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see
All of your fears will pass away
Safe in my arms
You're only sleeping

Profile Quote
Axordil
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 21 Nov , 2007 1:56 pm
Not so deep as a well

O'Fallon is much like Oakland was for Gertrude Stein--there is no there, there. I have friends from there too, btw.

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 21 Nov , 2007 2:39 pm

Ax wrote:
there is no there, there
Huh? :scratch: :scratch:

If there are laws against inciting a riot, there ought to be laws against inciting a suicide! :rage:

Although, that could backfire and get ugly, fast. :( Can you imagine every friend and family member of the suicide getting grilled by the police?

So, on second thought, no. Suicide should remain a crime of the perpetrator. It is a crime, isn't it?

What sort of crime should this event be called? Should misrepresenting one's identity online be a crime? Should telling someone they are worthless be a crime? Sure, it's easy to say THIS incident and these people should be punished, but what sort of law could be put on the books that wouldn't be horribly misapplied later on?

[ img ]

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 21 Nov , 2007 2:40 pm
The Grey Amaretto as Supermega-awesome Proud Heretic Girl

Freddy mentioned that he thought there were no criminal charges that could be brought against them, but they could bring civil charges against them (like in the O. J. Simpson case).

Lali

[ img ]

Profile Quote
The Watcher
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 21 Nov , 2007 2:52 pm
Same as it ever was

Some of the neighbors and families that live near the Meiers and Drews or who knew them through the schools have come forward with some of their feelings, one is actually the neighbor boy who helped perform CPR on Megan while waiting for the ambulances, and their comments are telling. While no one has come out (from these people's comments) and blasted Lori Drew as a psychopathic homicidal bitch, Lori Drew apparently asked Tina Meier to stop going public with their story even before it made national headlines, and the Drews have also put up seasonal decorations on their home. Lori Drew runs an advertising venue for local business in the form of mailers and coupon booklets, and at school functions was always trying to drum up more business. She, from comments made about her appearance, is 48, five foot five, and stocky/pudgy, and quite plain with a rather loud voice. Not that any of this in and of itself matters so much, but you think such a person would have SOME sort of inkling about what it might be like to feel one is the "ugly duckling" and trying to fit in, especially at such a terribly vulnerable age. Nope, she has not shown one iota of remorse, in fact, that telling police report in which she freely admitted her actions came about when SHE called the police last year to file a complaint about the destroyed foosball table and her fears about further property damage due to the irate feelings of the Meiers and some neighbors.

What a piece of work. It makes you wish people had to be licensed to breed.

Well, there is karma involved, apparently the local businesses that worked with Ms. Drew have been besieged by people to pull their business, and the same is happening for Mr. Drew who is a realtor in the area, so if nothing else, they are already becoming social outcasts.

What will the Drews' daughter think of all this? That poor girl is ruined now for life. Well, at least she still has the shreds of her life even left. :(

Scientists tell us that the fastest animal on earth, with a top speed of 120 miles per second, is a cow that has been dropped from a helicopter.

Never under any circumstances take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

- Dave Barry

Glaciers melting in the dead of night and the superstars sucked into the supermassive...
Supermassive Black Hole.

- Muse

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Wilma
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 22 Nov , 2007 4:06 am
Takoyaki is love

Well it seems similar to the whole cheerleading competition and hiring a hitman to kill the competitions mother so the girl would not do well in the tryout.

Itoshiki Sensei from Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei. Avatar by: sparklessence

"There is no such thing as coincidence in this world, only hitsuzen." - Yuko Ichihara and Kimihiro Watanuki - xxxHolic

"I'm modest, I'll keep my knickers on and die!" - My sister Grace commenting on Bear Gryllis on an episode of Oprah :rofl:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Leoba
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 22 Nov , 2007 12:40 pm
Troubadour of Ithilien

What an awful story! Surely the Drews couldn't have meant for things to get that far out of hand?

Quote:
There are also two light-up angels, hung in the front window.
On a different note, that is also seriously freaky.

Also found on Facebook - hunt me down via the MetaTORC group.

[ img ]

I just adore the concept of washing Dirty Horseboys!

Profile Quote
Axordil
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 22 Nov , 2007 4:42 pm
Not so deep as a well

I don't think mother Drew actually wanted Megan dead. But I also don't think she cared what DID happen to her, or accepts any responsibility, nor has remorse. What she did is analogous to shooting a gun down a hallway where someone is standing, without aiming. Maybe you just scare them. Maybe you wing them. And maybe you kill them.

It's the combination of things that makes the case so repugnantly fascinating: A mom "looking out for" her daughter by mind-fucking a girl she KNOWS has emotional problems, then acting like it's not that big a deal when the girl kills herself. All we need now is the mob with torches and we've got a made-for-TV docudrama ready to go. :neutral:

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 22 Nov , 2007 7:29 pm
I've cried a thousand oceans, and I would cry a thousand more if that's what it takes to sail you home.

[ img ]

My own issues with this case are probably along what Maria hinted at, because I don't know how much responsibility you can place on anyone but the person who decided to commit suicide. Even if poor Megan was nothing but sunshine and flowers all her life before going through this MySpace bullshittery, in the end, it was her own hand that tied the noose. I don't know how heartless that makes me, but I've spent a lot of time over the last several years thinking about personal responsibilities and trying to blame others for what's going on in your own head. There is no easy answer, I just truly hate people's need to blame, and the delirious sense of vengeance that can follow. I also hate when a whole precious life is lost over something so terribly lame. It's more of a loss than I care to think about for long.

On the other hand, I feel like a fake for saying much about it because I really didn't get bullied much after elementary school. I was 17 or 18 when I started to spend lots of time on the internet and actually interacting with people via instant messenger or messageboards, so I had a few years to understand the value of privacy, and didn't do anything to attract attention to myself. These days, even schools in my small town have their own chatrooms set up and fan clubs on Facebook devoted to certain teachers, for example, so there's just a lot more interaction and ways to invite problems into your own home than I had to deal with. So maybe for people like Megan, it really is that bad. I know it would have added a few layers to my own depression back then. Even my brother who is just four years younger than me had stories about ex-girlfriends slinging shit about him on FB. I certainly had my own issues, but after grade 8 at least, they weren't as constant. It was just a case of some days being good, some bad. There weren't specific people actively trying to ruin my day. But I remember how it felt when those kinda folks were around, and it's hard to get through until you... get through it. Try telling that to someone else and I don't think it's very helpful, though.

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
vison
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 22 Nov , 2007 11:35 pm
Best friends forever

I know I am out of step here, but I can think of no good reason for children to be on these internet groups and I don't give a rat's ass, personally, for any excuse offered.

I know so many kids who've been bullied or made fun of this way, and can think of nothing worthwhile about it even when bullying doesn't go on.

You wanna talk to your friends? Pick up the phone or talk to them at school.

The girl who lives with us, she has reached the grand old age of 20, quite concurs with my refusal to let Oz and Tay play on the internet. She says if she had kids of her own, she'd say the same thing.

This isn't looking up stuff for a science project, this is asking for trouble.

My heart aches for the parents who lost their daughter, and I hope other parents take the lesson from it. *E*, my dear, the child was 13 and so distraught she hung herself and to be perfectly honest, I don't think a 13-year-old can really be responsible for that decision: only, she's going to be dead forever.

Living on Earth is expensive,
but it does include a free trip
around the sun every year.

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 6  [ 110 posts ]
Return to “The Symposium” | Jump to page 1 2 3 4 5 6 »
Jump to: