The Last Homely Site on the Web

Riding in cars with boys

Post Reply   Page 1 of 2  [ 27 posts ]
Jump to page 1 2 »
Jonny
Post subject: Riding in cars with boys
Posted: Fri 23 Nov , 2007 7:42 pm
pixel-pusher

My mom was at the grocery store yesterday and stayed in the car while my dad went in to get some Thanksgiving fare. A car pulled up beside her... It was a dad and his baby.

He left the baby in the car while he went in to the store.

My mom called 911 and when he came out of the store he had a policeman waiting for him.

I just KNOW that this man would not have left a dvd player sitting out there in the front seat - or a laptop - or his wallet.

But he left his baby.

WTF? I hope his wife chews him a new one.

I'm very proud of my mom!

“And the ship went out into the High Sea and passed into the West, until at last on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a far green country under a swift sunrise.”

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 23 Nov , 2007 8:04 pm
The Grey Amaretto as Supermega-awesome Proud Heretic Girl

No doubt! What a moron.

I mean, you just can't do that in this day and age. Not to mention, if you do it in the wrong kind of weather, you can kill your child. I know people who have nearly done this. They thought the other had gotten the baby out of the minivan, but neither had. The child almost died.

And then we just had a lady in Cincinnati who forgot she had her toddler in the back seat, went to work, and left her in the car all day.

:( That baby did die. :(

Good for your mom!!!

Lali

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Crucifer
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 23 Nov , 2007 9:55 pm
A song outlasts a dynasty.

Go your mom!

What an irresponsible Jerk that guy was! Hasn't he ever heard of KIDnappers!?!?

Sleep is a death; Oh, make me try by sleeping what it is to die.

Profile Quote
Lily Rose
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 24 Nov , 2007 3:40 am
stranded in dreamland

I really hope that this guy learned his lesson.:(

I don't have faith in faith
I don't believe in belief
You can call me faithless
I still cling to hope
And I believe in love
And that's faith enough for me

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 24 Nov , 2007 4:19 am

As a matter of fact, Dayton just had an incident last night. A dad left his 4 month old baby girl in the backseat while he went inside to pre-pay for gas. His wife was in the car behind him, waiting. A man ran up, jumped in the car, and drove off with the baby.

Thankfully, the car ran out of gas a short while later. The man left the baby on a doorstep and ran away. The lady who found the baby a little later (thankfully not too much later), called police, and the story has a happy ending.

(She is a cute little baby, too!)

:rage:

But don't leave your babies in the car!!!

Lali

Last edited by LalaithUrwen on Sat 24 Nov , 2007 4:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Dave_LF
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 24 Nov , 2007 4:20 am
You are hearing me talk

Did this happen in Maryland? If so, it made the local news in MI.

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 24 Nov , 2007 4:27 am

No, it happened in Dayton, Ohio (if you're referring to my post).

Lali

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jonny
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 24 Nov , 2007 6:09 am
pixel-pusher

And if you're referring to my post, it happened in South Carolina.

Apparently, it's happening everywhere :(

Lali, thank God your story has a happy ending! It came so close to not having one. :Q

“And the ship went out into the High Sea and passed into the West, until at last on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a far green country under a swift sunrise.”

Profile Quote
TheMary
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 24 Nov , 2007 6:59 am
I took the stars from my eyes, and then I made a map, And knew that somehow I could find my way back; Then I heard your heart beating, you were in the darkness too - So I stayed in the darkness with you

That's crazy style! It's one thing to be careless with possessions but a flippin' baby?! Why would anyone EVER take a chance when something can go wrong in a situation like that?

Lay down
Your sweet and weary head
Night is falling
You’ve come to journey's end
Sleep now
And dream of the ones who came before
They are calling
From across the distant shore

Why do you weep?
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see
All of your fears will pass away
Safe in my arms
You're only sleeping

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 26 Nov , 2007 4:15 pm

In the summer, I was waiting in our pickup (which had stuff in the back), while my husband went into the store. A family parked across from me, and the youngest boy was being a brat and throwing a temper tantrum, and so they left him there in the back seat. He was about 3 or 4. After listening to him scream for a while, I went to go ask him if he was getting too hot, and he nodded yes, but didn't seem to be able to get himself out of the car seat to unlock the door.

So, I ran inside, and alerted the employees to the situation and they came out and called the police. We left before the family came back out, but I hope they got into trouble! The kid could have died. Some idiots just don't realize how fast a car heats up in the summer, even with the windows cracked.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Crucifer
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 26 Nov , 2007 7:56 pm

Idiots... Absolute idiots...

Some people shouldn't be allowed have kids.

Profile Quote
Dave_LF
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 26 Nov , 2007 9:34 pm
You are hearing me talk

Just so the thread can be something more than everyone agreeing with each other =:)...

Are the odds that a child left alone in a car for a short time will die of heat/cold greater than the odds that a child placed in a car at all will die in an accident? The former is definitely unnecessary/preventable, but so are a lot of car trips. You can take precautions against accidents (car seats, seat belts), but you can also take precautions against exposure (windows cracked, sweaters). Qualitatively the two seem to me to be in the same category, so it's the quantities that would have to make the difference (if there is one). Might this be like the swimming pool vs. handgun issue, where owning a pool is statistically far more likely to get your children killed than owning a gun, but society is much less tolerant of the latter?

I would guess that scenario A is more dangerous than B and that intuition is probably correct here, but I don't know for certain and I doubt there are any stats available.

Last edited by Dave_LF on Mon 26 Nov , 2007 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Quote
Crucifer
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 26 Nov , 2007 9:43 pm

But your child could be kidnapped.

Windows cracked actually doesn't help much at all. The car still heats up massively. The only surefire way to prevent massive heating is with those foil things for windscreens.

[aside]Your 72% more likely to die driving to the airport than on the plane itself.

You are 97% more likely to be injured getting to a theme park than on one of the rides.

75% of all statistics are made up on the spot.[/aside]

Profile Quote
Dave_LF
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 26 Nov , 2007 9:49 pm
You are hearing me talk

Ok; change the hypothetical to potential for exposure/kidnapping/whatever vs. potential for accident/carjacking/whatever. To really be rigorous we'd have to enumerate each potential outcome and weight each by how bad it's perceived to be, but that's probably going too far. ;)
Quote:
Your 72% more likely to die driving to the airport than on the plane itself.
I'm guessing this is probably one of those made-up-on-the-spot statistics :), but for what it's worth, the same guy who gives us the pool-vs-handgun scenario (Stephen Levitt) also tells us that the risk of death from commercial air travel is roughly equal to the risk from driving when you state each in terms of person-miles (or possibly person-hours; I can't remember for sure).

Profile Quote
Ara-anna
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 27 Nov , 2007 12:13 am
Daydream Believer

In the real world accident/carjacking/whatever is much higher in perchentage of happening than exposure/kidnapping/whatever. More people die each day from car accidents than they do of exposure, snake bites, airplane crashes, shark attacks, kidnapping, other things and the lot put together. But that does not make it ok to leave kids in hot/cold cars to be kidnapped by the freaks of the world. Comparing the two is like asking which bad thing is worse. Well vehicle accidents do happen more often, and do kill more people. But on a personal level I would rather have me killed in a car wreck than my kids kidnapped and abused by whoever.

BTW I fired a nanny when my kids were younger for leaving them in her car with an older girl (my kids were 3 and the girl was 8) while she ran into the bank. They told me the same day it happened, we had a new nanny the next day. There are too many freaks out there to do that anymore.

Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in

Five seconds away from the Tetons and Yellowstone

Profile Quote
yovargas
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 27 Nov , 2007 12:32 am

The real question is which is more dangerous, leaving your kid in a car or leaving your kid on MySpace?

;)

Profile Quote
Dave_LF
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 27 Nov , 2007 12:38 am
You are hearing me talk

There are more accidents than kidnappings + exposures, but there are also many more car rides than wait-in-the-cars. We could probably take a stab at how many child-miles there are, but how many child-minutes-alone-in-cars would be a lot more difficult to figure out.

Profile Quote
Ara-anna
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 27 Nov , 2007 4:43 pm
Daydream Believer

yovargas wrote:
The real question is which is more dangerous, leaving your kid in a car or leaving your kid on MySpace?

;)
in car is more dangerous. Myspace can be turned off and removed and monitored. Leaving a kid in a car is an easier opportunity for the freaks of the world, and there are lots of them. Myspace they have to 'court' the kid for a few weeks before they gain trust. In a car they simply snatch and run, or simply commit some unspeakable act and leave, and if the kid is under 2 what's the kid going to say, where as a 13 year old would be able say something about an stalker on myspace.

And btw both situations are really bad parenting.

Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in

Five seconds away from the Tetons and Yellowstone

Profile Quote
Crucifer
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 27 Nov , 2007 9:36 pm

Yus. I agree with Ralph...

Back to statistics, you're more likely to die from being hit by a meteorite than by lightning. This is because if a meteorite hits you, you die instantly, no questions asked, along with several million other people. You can survive lightning...

Profile Quote
Dave_LF
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 27 Nov , 2007 10:02 pm
You are hearing me talk

Crucifer wrote:
Back to statistics, you're more likely to die from being hit by a meteorite than by lightning. This is because if a meteorite hits you, you die instantly, no questions asked, along with several million other people. You can survive lightning...
But you're much, much more likely to be hit by lightning than a meteor in the first place. I'd think that given you're hit a meteor is the more likely of the two to kill you, but that the prior probability would favor lightning.

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 2  [ 27 posts ]
Return to “The Symposium” | Jump to page 1 2 »
Jump to: