"Snitching"

Post Reply   Page 4 of 4  [ 64 posts ]
Jump to page « 1 2 3 4
jewelsong
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 02 Jan , 2008 9:20 pm
Just keep singin'!

Cenedril_Gildinaur wrote:
So where are the threads that detail any trauma you may have experienced?
I'm sorry? I'm not quite sure what you mean here.

Profile Quote
Cenedril_Gildinaur
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 02 Jan , 2008 9:35 pm

Unless you believe that police abuse is an enjoyable experience, you are asking me to recite for the board a very unenjoyable experience, saying that unless I do so then I'm just spouting empty meaningless unsupported hatefulness.

So, either you can explain to me how police abuse is an enjoyable experience, or you can show me threads where you went into personal detail about a traumatic experience that has occured to you.

Or you can shut up about how I don't detail my own personal horror stories for your amusement.

It is a myth that coercion is necessary in order to force people to get along together, but it is a persistent myth because it feeds a desire many people have. That desire is to be able to justify hurting people who have done nothing other than offend them in some way.

Last edited by Cenedril_Gildinaur on Tue Feb 30, 2026 13:61 am; edited 426 times in total

Profile Quote
jewelsong
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 02 Jan , 2008 11:01 pm
Just keep singin'!

Cenedril_Gildinaur wrote:
Unless you believe that police abuse is an enjoyable experience, you are asking me to recite for the board a very unenjoyable experience, saying that unless I do so then I'm just spouting empty meaningless unsupported hatefulness.
Yes. That is exactly what you are doing. Unless you back up your hateful comments with SOMETHING that others can understand, your comments are unsupported and indeed empty and meaningless to the discussion.
Quote:
So, either you can explain to me how police abuse is an enjoyable experience, or you can show me threads where you went into personal detail about a traumatic experience that has occured to you.
Please show me where I said anything about it being enjoyable and how that has anything to do with this topic?

I went into great and painful detail about my experiences with abuse and depression/related disorders in one of the threads not too long ago. I will look for the link, if you like.
Quote:
Or you can shut up about how I don't detail my own personal horror stories for your amusement.
You really have a chip on your shoulder, don't you? I said nothing about "my own amusement."

Listen - you are making some pretty horrible and damning statements about the integrity of a large group of people. Not one or two people, or even a faction of the group - but a huge group of people...all of them, in fact.

You have a personal horror story? Fine. One personal story might be horrible for the individual, but it hardly serves as evidence for condemning
an entire group. All it is is ONE incident.

I am not asking you to go into gory detail...but it seems that what you want to do is to have people in this (one-sided) dialogue simply accept what you say at face value without you having to provide one single shred of evidence to back up your claim.

You stated that the police are "little better than the criminals" they are supposed to be protecting us from. That's a hell of a statement.

You didn't say "some" police; you said ALL of them. You didn't say that you had been a victim of some sort of police abuse (once, or twice or more) and this is why you have such a negative attitude towards the entire police force, everywhere. Apparently, you have had such an experience. But you have not explained (or even tried to explain) why this personal experience would cause you to make such a wide-reaching statement.

If you don't care to discuss it, fine. Naturally, painful experiences are difficult to discuss. But then don't come in here, make insulting and inflammatory statements and then coyly and obliquely refer to the very experiences you then refuse to discuss.

If you are not prepared to back these statements up with facts or some kind of evidence, don't make the statements.

Profile Quote
Feredir
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 04 Jan , 2008 1:50 pm

Just a little follow up with accurate info on how dangerous police can be.

freddy

WASHINGTON (AP) — A record number of fatal traffic incidents and a double-digit spike in shooting deaths led to one of the deadliest years for law enforcement officers in more than a decade.

With the exception of 2001, which saw a dramatic increase in deaths because of the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks, 2007 was the deadliest year for law enforcement since 1989, according to preliminary data released jointly by the National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial Fund and Concerns of Police Survivors.

The report counted the deaths of 186 officers as of Dec. 26, up from 145 last year. Eighty-one died in traffic incidents, which the report said surpassed their record of 78 set in 2000. Shooting deaths increased from 52 to 69, a rise of about 33 percent.

"Most of us don't realize that an officer is being killed in America on average every other day," said Craig W. Floyd, chairman of the National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial Fund.

Officer fatalities have generally declined since peaking at 277 in 1974, the report said. Historically, officers have been more likely to be killed in an attack than to die accidentally and shootings outnumbered car crashes. But those trends began to reverse in the late 1990s. This year, about six of every 10 deaths were accidental.

Floyd credited technology improvements with helping reverse the trend. Safety vests save lives and non-lethal devices such as electric stun guns prevent some fatal encounters, he said. He attributed the spike in shooting deaths to the increase in violent crime nationwide.

"Law enforcement is the front line against violent criminals," he said.

Of the 81 traffic deaths this year, 60 officers died in car crashes, 15 were hit by cars and six died in motorcycle crashes.

Police departments have worked to limit high-speed chases and only seven of the car crashes were attributed to such pursuits, Floyd said. Crashes involving a single police cruiser responding to a call were far more common, he said.

After traffic crashes and shootings, physical causes such as heart attacks were the leading cause of death, contributing to 18 fatalities. Other causes of death included smaller categories such as airplane and boating accidents, for an additional 18 fatalities.

Texas led the nation with 22 fatalities followed by Florida (16), New York (12), and California (11). The report includes the death of 17 federal law enforcement officers, including five Air Force Office of Special Investigations agents killed in two bombings in Iraq.

The report counted six times in which multiple officers were shot and killed in the same incident, such as the September shooting in Odessa, Texas that left three officers dead while responding to a domestic violence call. Domestic violence and traffic stops were the circumstances that most commonly led to fatal police shootings this year, the report found.

The average age of officers who died in 2007 was 39. Most were men and had served an average of about 11 years in law enforcement.
Hosted by Copyright © 2008 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 4 of 4  [ 64 posts ]
Return to “The Symposium” | Jump to page « 1 2 3 4
Jump to: