Post Reply   Page 8 of 8  [ 147 posts ]
Jump to page « 14 5 6 7 8
Dave_LF
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 07 Jan , 2008 8:53 pm
You are hearing me talk

MariaHobbit wrote:
What does "Jones" mean when used as a verb? :scratch: :scratch:
To desire for the sake of self-gratification or satisfying an appetite. Often with the implication that the object is thrilling but bad for you; ie drugs, greasy food, etc.

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 07 Jan , 2008 9:10 pm

Thanks. :)

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Crucifer
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 07 Jan , 2008 9:22 pm
A song outlasts a dynasty.

K...
First off, I have only had a chance to skim the last 8 pages, so forgive me if my post seems a little out of context or if anything I ask has been answered already or anything.

I've been following this sort of closely. No matter what the outcome, it will affect the world.

Democrats: Ron Paul would be my vote if it came to it. He seems intelligent and reserved. I agree with his foreign policy, which is most important to me. Domestic in America is important to me too btw, due to my three young cousins who will grow up with the new presidents policies, but directly it won't have that much of an effect on me personally, I think.

If it boils down to Hilary v Obama, Obama will get my vote. Hilary has been playing a dirty, underhanded campaign. Right now, she seems desperate to get power, at any cost.

Better for America globally, I think would be Obama, (grammer appalling I know, but forgive me) for reasons stat4d on HoF and by others here: The "enemies" of America see America as a place where the white man rules. A white female would probably be seen to be dominated by men, or worse, cause fundamentalist Islamists to hate America for giving a woman power => ideas beyond her station. (I'm talking the real bad boys here. Not the ones who just have a different religious viewpoint to me). Having Obama would (hopefully) shatter the (what I hope are) misconceptions about Americas political affiliations. He would present a good Image.
Of course, if Ron Paul got Pres, I'd be very pleased personally, but it would, unfortunately, perpetuate the previously stated view of the US...

Huckabee frightens me. As does Guiliani. I'm not so clued in on the rest of the Republicans.

Al Gore for President...

Edit: X-posted with Lali

Last edited by Crucifer on Mon 07 Jan , 2008 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sleep is a death; Oh, make me try by sleeping what it is to die.

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 07 Jan , 2008 9:22 pm
The Grey Amaretto as Supermega-awesome Proud Heretic Girl

Cenedril_Gildinaur wrote:
I've never understood one aspect of the race.

Why do Homeschoolers support Anti-Homeschool Huckabee?
I answered you on Manwe concerning this, but I agree. I said:

I don't quite get it either, CG. He gives lip service to hs'ing, but I don't see much on his site that reassures me that he really supports it. Yet hs'ers I know seem to think he's great. :scratch: I am guessing it's the fact that he's at least said he supports hs'ing and the fact that he's an evangelical Christian.

Looking further, since I know hs'ing is not for everyone, I find his public education reform ideas lacking (as in, I don't recall even seeing any on his site, though I could be wrong).

Your link didn't show up as anything really, though.

Lali

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Cenedril_Gildinaur
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 07 Jan , 2008 10:24 pm

True, there are better links, and that is merely a link to a link.

Huckabee isn't in favor of home schooling. He is against it. But since there is a sizable segment of the homeschool population that is very religious, and Huckabee has been running on the "I'm a Christian" platform, they found reason other than homeschooling to support Huckabee.

the sad thing is that in the Republican lineup there are seven Christians and one Mormon, so the "I'm a Christian so vote for me" tactic is pretty shallow. If faith determined candidate preference, there are seven equally viable candidates to vote for.

Given seven equally viable candidates if you judge by faith, that means that the HSLDA and Homeschooling crowd should look further, to policies and attitudes towards homeschooling. That's where Huckabee falls very flat.

Try this link instead Link

It is a myth that coercion is necessary in order to force people to get along together, but it is a persistent myth because it feeds a desire many people have. That desire is to be able to justify hurting people who have done nothing other than offend them in some way.

Last edited by Cenedril_Gildinaur on Tue Feb 30, 2026 13:61 am; edited 426 times in total

Profile Quote
elfshadow
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 08 Jan , 2008 12:37 am
Kill the headlights and put it in neutral

Personally, I sort of wish that people just didn't make a big deal about whether or not the next president of the US will be male or female, or black or white, or whatever. Sure, people will have different perspectives because of their background and genetics. But that's true for everyone, and gender or race doesn't really make any more of a difference than other parts of someone's background and genetics. I'd be perfectly happy if no one talked about the race or gender of candidates for the rest of the election cycle.

And to address the recent slight osgilliation--there are plenty of people both in America and abroad who don't care about politics and don't know about politics. Voter ignorance is slightly higher in America compared to other developed nations, from the research that I've seen, but not by as much as you'd think. Frankly, I think the majority of the world knows very little about what's going on even in their own country. And really, what's the incentive other than personal enjoyment or a vague sense of "civic duty"? There are a hell of a lot more things that the average person would rather be doing than reading up on the elections in a different country. There are definitely people (many of whom post here :D ) who enjoy doing this, and I think that's terrific. But it takes all kinds of people to make a world, and I don't really find it too disappointing or unpardonable that most people don't spend a lot of time following politics in other countries--whatever nationality they are. To be completely honest--and I might get some crap for this ;) --if you can't change the political situation (which for an individual is very difficult), why bother knowing about politics at all? Personal fulfillment? Sure, if that's what fulfills you. But for most people it doesn't. And your one vote isn't going to make a different overall. If you have the time and energy to campaign or run for office, yeah that'll make a difference. But again, most people have neither the time nor the energy. There have to be different levels of political awareness for a large country to work--we can't all know everything. And while I find it a little annoying that many people in America, for example, can't name their Congressman, that's not a fact that's really going to change anytime soon. Voter ignorance has been at about the same level since scholars first started looking at it statistically in the 1950s.
Crucifer wrote:
Democrats: Ron Paul would be my vote if it came to it. He seems intelligent and reserved. I agree with his foreign policy, which is most important to me. Domestic in America is important to me too btw, due to my three young cousins who will grow up with the new presidents policies, but directly it won't have that much of an effect on me personally, I think.
Paul is running as a Republican actually. Though he's really a libertarian--his views don't quite fit into either major party.

Profile Quote
Crucifer
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 08 Jan , 2008 6:53 pm
A song outlasts a dynasty.

Ah right. My bad. He'd be a good republican then.

Sleep is a death; Oh, make me try by sleeping what it is to die.

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 8 of 8  [ 147 posts ]
Return to “The Symposium” | Jump to page « 14 5 6 7 8
Jump to: