board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

Split from Campaign 2008:War On Terror and the candidates

Post Reply   Page 12 of 13  [ 241 posts ]
Jump to page « 19 10 11 12 13 »
yovargas
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 14 Feb , 2008 12:28 pm

Steve, please kindly edit that "joke" out. That is extremely unpleasant and not even slightly funny.

vison wrote:
It was a pretty good metaphor, but not applicable.
Um, I disagree. That you would think it inapplicable strikes me as another sign of the enormous biases always evident in this discussion. Really, the metaphor is perfectly applicable to any social ill we wish to fight, whether that be homelessness or drug use or terrorism. It's just that fighting homelessness isn't the sort of issue that makes people say things like this:
Feredir wrote:
yovargas wrote:
But how much effort should we expend to prevent one more [terrorist attack]? Is there a limit?
I say there cannot be a limit.

Profile Quote
jewelsong
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 14 Feb , 2008 12:31 pm
Just keep singin'!

yovargas wrote:
Steve, please kindly edit that "joke" out. That is extremely unpleasant and not even slightly funny.
[OT] Just jumping in here to say I agree with yov. Jokes about lynchings are really....well, they're not jokes.

Please do edit it. Thanks. [/OT]

And on topic, I want to say that this has been one of the most interesting and intense discussions I have seen on B77 in a long time...about some very gritty and divisive issues. Thanks, everyone!

Profile Quote
Feredir
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 14 Feb , 2008 1:15 pm

yovargas wrote:

vison wrote:
It was a pretty good metaphor, but not applicable.
Um, I disagree. That you would think it inapplicable strikes me as another sign of the enormous biases always evident in this discussion. Really, the metaphor is perfectly applicable to any social ill we wish to fight, whether that be homelessness or drug use or terrorism. It's just that fighting homelessness isn't the sort of issue that makes people say things like this:
Feredir wrote:
yovargas wrote:
But how much effort should we expend to prevent one more [terrorist attack]? Is there a limit?
I say there cannot be a limit.
HEY, leave me out of this!!! :rage: ( :D )

freddy

Cenedril_Gildinaur
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 14 Feb , 2008 4:31 pm

halplm wrote:
how about you define victory? I define victory as anything but defeat.

what do you propose we do, that is within your ideals of how to be "perfect" as the grand country we are... that is NOT defeat?
Well, since we invaded to get rid of WMDs, and there were no WMDs in the first place, then we achieved victory before we went in.

If we invaded to remove Saddam, then we had victory back when he was hanged and can go home now.

If we invaded to fight Al Qeada, there were no Al Qaeda before we invaded and there are some now, so we were defeated.

If we invaded to create a secular liberal democracy ... good luck.

Personally I define victory as "they are no longer a threat and we don't need troops there" which means we had victory before we invaded. I also define victory as "achieving the above goal with minimum loss of life" which means we have anything EXCEPT victory.

Halplm, if you define victory as anything except defeat, then you need to define defeat.

It is a myth that coercion is necessary in order to force people to get along together, but it is a persistent myth because it feeds a desire many people have. That desire is to be able to justify hurting people who have done nothing other than offend them in some way.

Last edited by Cenedril_Gildinaur on Tue Feb 30, 2026 13:61 am; edited 426 times in total

Profile Quote
Alatar
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 14 Feb , 2008 4:38 pm
of Vinyamar

CG, if you're going to just cut an paste your arguiments from page to page, please use the quote button.

What you're doing is simply rude. The Equivalent of shouting "IN CASE YOU DIDN'T HEAR ME, I SAID....!"

[ img ]
These are my friends, see how they glisten...

Profile Quote
Cenedril_Gildinaur
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 14 Feb , 2008 5:18 pm

The thread was derailed by an extensive discussion of Norris crap and grammatical nitpics. A thread split was the only other solution, and I can't split threads.

If a ranger wants to split off the tangent into "Bikeracks" and split off my repost as well, I'm ok with that.

It is a myth that coercion is necessary in order to force people to get along together, but it is a persistent myth because it feeds a desire many people have. That desire is to be able to justify hurting people who have done nothing other than offend them in some way.

Last edited by Cenedril_Gildinaur on Tue Feb 30, 2026 13:61 am; edited 426 times in total

Profile Quote
Alatar
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 14 Feb , 2008 5:21 pm
of Vinyamar

Or a quote. As I said.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Cenedril_Gildinaur
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 14 Feb , 2008 5:22 pm

Or split off the tangent, as I suggested on the previous page.

Profile Quote
Alatar
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 14 Feb , 2008 5:24 pm
of Vinyamar

Cenedril_Gildinaur wrote:
The thread was derailed by an extensive discussion of Norris crap and grammatical nitpics. A thread split was the only other solution, and I can't split threads.
No it wasn't. Simple politeness was an alternative option.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Cenedril_Gildinaur
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 14 Feb , 2008 5:26 pm

Your opinion is that my repost was impolite. What is your opinion on the politeness of the full page derail?

Profile Quote
yovargas
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 14 Feb , 2008 5:47 pm

I know you are but what am I.

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 14 Feb , 2008 6:28 pm

Thread splits annoy me.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Alatar
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 14 Feb , 2008 6:40 pm
of Vinyamar

Enough. Do what you will. It seems courtesy is no longer a byword on this board.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
The Watcher
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 14 Feb , 2008 8:57 pm
Same as it ever was

Alatar wrote:
Enough. Do what you will. It seems courtesy is no longer a byword on this board.
Alatar -

I am reading this, it seems like the thread is quickly derailing. Please, everyone here, can we stay on topic and not spam up the place or start resorting to grammar school tactics? :) I know this is a hot topic, but we also can and have shown that we all are capable of acting like rational adults here.

So, we all take some deep breaths.

This is already a split post thread, so if people here seriously want me to move some more stuff, I will, but several of you need to let me know what (besides Chuck Norris, which would be a ridiculous thread on its own, but if people want it, I will give them what they ask for) and to where the topic should be split again to. I would like to avoid bikeracks confrontations if at all possible.

Do it for me, I have been having severe migraines on and off all week, and there is a death of someone quite close to my son which he is taking very hard. Besides, today is a Hallmark day, we should all be sending each other virtual cards and little flower icons. :D:D

Scientists tell us that the fastest animal on earth, with a top speed of 120 miles per second, is a cow that has been dropped from a helicopter.

Never under any circumstances take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

- Dave Barry

Glaciers melting in the dead of night and the superstars sucked into the supermassive...
Supermassive Black Hole.

- Muse

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Ara-anna
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 14 Feb , 2008 9:14 pm
Daydream Believer

This thread doesn't need to be split any more.

There is no need to move any of it to the bike racks.

Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in

Five seconds away from the Tetons and Yellowstone

Profile Quote
tolkienpurist
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 15 Feb , 2008 1:18 am
Unlabeled

Steve, just thirding what yov and JS have said. I was going to leave it alone at first, but I feel very strongly that a "joke" which on one hand refers to lynching and on the other hand, speaks crudely and using racist terminology of a physical stereotype that pertains to black men, has no place in this community. I know you have good intentions with your humor, and a lot of it succeeds precisely because it is on the borderline, but in this case I think you ended up on the wrong side of the line. It'd be a nice gesture if you'd edit.

Profile Quote
vison
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 15 Feb , 2008 2:08 am
Best friends forever

And we already have a Chuck Norris thread. :)

Living on Earth is expensive,
but it does include a free trip
around the sun every year.

Profile Quote
ToshoftheWuffingas
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 15 Feb , 2008 9:26 am
Filthy darwinian hobbit

In my part of the world we use old forms of past tenses. A local person would say, 'That snew yesterday.' instead of, 'It snowed yesterday.'

[ img ]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos

Norwich Beer Festival 2009

Profile Quote
Lidless
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 16 Feb , 2008 7:52 pm
Als u het leven te ernstig neemt, mist u de betekenis.

*snipped*

Apologies for any offence. Twas meant light-heartedly as ever and I misjudged.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
tolkienpurist
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 16 Feb , 2008 7:58 pm
Unlabeled

Thanks, Steve.

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 12 of 13  [ 241 posts ]
Return to “The Symposium” | Jump to page « 19 10 11 12 13 »
Jump to: