George W. Bush

Post Reply   Page 6 of 6  [ 107 posts ]
Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 5 6
sauronsfinger
Post subject: Re: George W. Bush
Posted: Fri 21 Aug , 2009 11:41 am

from CG
Quote:
What the heck is an authoritative moral opinion survey?

:scratch: I dunno. Since you seem to have created the term perhaps you can define it?

Is this some attempt to play dumb and pretend that you do not know the difference between authoritative studies done by professional experts in a field and the opinion of those with far less expertise, knowledge and standing? But then, we have heard this all too often before.

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs. - John Rogers

Profile Quote
Dave_LF
Posted: Fri 21 Aug , 2009 1:48 pm
You are hearing me talk

Speaking of:

Tom Ridge: Bush pressured me to raise the terror warning level to help him win the '04 election
http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/ar ... QwNa0N-ptg

Profile Quote
elfshadow
Posted: Fri 21 Aug , 2009 5:19 pm
Kill the headlights and put it in neutral

sf, I guess I was referring more to my own experience than any actual surveys I've seen. But I've heard an equal amount of people claiming that FDR is great and that he was crap.

Also, I think there's a distinction to be made between a president who was accomplished and one who was great. FDR and Lincoln both had a huge impact on history, whether you liked their policies or not. Many of the presidents on the "worst" lists that I've seen were the presidents who really just sat there and did nothing. But maybe if the surveys phrased the question like, "Which president do you think did the most good for the nation?" you might get different answers. I don't know. :)

Profile Quote
Cenedril_Gildinaur
Posted: Wed 26 Aug , 2009 9:25 pm

Well, if "great" is only a magnitude and not a direction (using math terminology) then great impact at doing bad things and great impact at doing good things are both of great magnitude. Therefore Bush Jr and FDR are both of great magnitude in the same general direction of terrible.

It is a myth that coercion is necessary in order to force people to get along together, but it is a persistent myth because it feeds a desire many people have. That desire is to be able to justify hurting people who have done nothing other than offend them in some way.

Last edited by Cenedril_Gildinaur on Tue Feb 30, 2026 13:61 am; edited 426 times in total

Profile Quote
sauronsfinger
Posted: Thu 27 Aug , 2009 11:32 am

from CG
Quote:
Well, if "great" is only a magnitude and not a direction (using math terminology) then great impact at doing bad things and great impact at doing good things are both of great magnitude. Therefore Bush Jr and FDR are both of great magnitude in the same general direction of terrible.
When you write these sort of tortured, convoluted, upside-down Alice in Wonderland type of things, do you start out with some clear idea that just does not make it when you type the actual words or does it also seem confusing to even you? Or maybe this is suppose to be so convoluted that it is some new and bold form of thought provoking expression beyond the comprehension of mere mortals who have not been to the prestigious Von Mises Institute?

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs. - John Rogers

Profile Quote
TheEllipticalDisillusion
Posted: Fri 28 Aug , 2009 4:33 am
Insolent Pup

Stop dragging Alice's Adventures In Wonderland, and Through the Looking Glass down with these posts. Lewis Carrol wrote an excellent story! :P

The 11/3 Project

Profile Quote
Lidless
Posted: Fri 28 Aug , 2009 6:49 am
Als u het leven te ernstig neemt, mist u de betekenis.

In years to come most Americans, especially those involved, will look back in shame on the Bush years and shake their heads how they got so suckered into it - the over-reaction to the Great Threat. It will be their version of Post McCarthyism Stress Disorder.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 6 of 6  [ 107 posts ]
Return to “The Symposium” | Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 5 6
Jump to: