George W. Bush

Post Reply   Page 3 of 6  [ 107 posts ]
Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 5 6 »
Berhael
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 29 Feb , 2008 12:17 am
Milk and kisses

Iavas_Saar wrote:
Wasn't it pretty much charisma that got GWB elected? Wasn't he marketed as this likeable cowboy against Gore?
I seem to recall that was your opinion of him, anyway. But that was against Kerry, not Gore.

"The most terrifying day of your life is the day the first one is born [...] Your life, as you know it... is gone. Never to return. But they learn how to walk, and they learn how to talk... and you want to be with them. And they turn out to be the most delightful people you will ever meet in your life."

Profile Quote
Iavas_Saar
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 29 Feb , 2008 1:00 am
His Rosyness

Berhael wrote:
Iavas_Saar wrote:
Wasn't it pretty much charisma that got GWB elected? Wasn't he marketed as this likeable cowboy against Gore?
I seem to recall that was your opinion of him, anyway. But that was against Kerry, not Gore.
Yes. I must have let the marketing affect me, and I truly regret it!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Legolas the elf
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 29 Feb , 2008 5:32 am
Trudging the road of happy destiny...

I'd say Bush has a little bit of charisma...I mean, he's kind of charming, at first glance...but once he starts talking for longer than 6 seconds, or is not saying catch-phrases, his cover is blown. His charm turns to comical charm...kind of like: "Oh, this idiot, of himself alone, is harmless! He's too stupid to be of harm! He's kind of funny, too." But it's the fact that he's president that's the ridiculous part.

Profile Quote
ToshoftheWuffingas
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 29 Feb , 2008 9:41 am
Filthy darwinian hobbit

My daughter sent me this little ditty when Dubya first became President.

http://www.amiright.com/parody/misc/themesong7.shtml

[ img ]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos

Norwich Beer Festival 2009

Profile Quote
Legolas the elf
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 29 Feb , 2008 2:56 pm

That is great, Tosh. I'll have to learn to play the song on my guitar, and add that to my repetoire.

Profile Quote
Dindraug
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 02 Mar , 2008 5:13 pm
Tricksy Elf!

Legolas the elf wrote:
I'd say Bush has a little bit of charisma...I mean, he's kind of charming, at first glance...but once he starts talking for longer than 6 seconds, or is not saying catch-phrases, his cover is blown. His charm turns to comical charm...kind of like: "Oh, this idiot, of himself alone, is harmless! He's too stupid to be of harm! He's kind of funny, too." But it's the fact that he's president that's the ridiculous part.
So how did it work twice?

'When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity. When many people suffer from delusion, it is called Religion'.

~Robert M. Pirsig

Profile Quote
Iavas_Saar
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 02 Mar , 2008 6:29 pm
His Rosyness

Dindraug wrote:
So how did it work twice?
9/11

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Feredir
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 03 Mar , 2008 1:14 pm

Legolas the elf wrote:
It is saddening to think that just because someone doesn't speak eloquently, he's thought to be stupid. Pretty shallow if you ask me, but no one asked.

Legolas, this is not directed specifically at you because you are not the first to put this in type.

freddy

jewelsong
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 03 Mar , 2008 2:37 pm
Just keep singin'!

Feredir wrote:
It is saddening to think that just because someone doesn't speak eloquently, he's thought to be stupid. Pretty shallow if you ask me, but no one asked.
This may be true. However, whether Bush IS actually stupid or not is moot.

I expect the President of the United States to be able to string words together in a coherent fashion and not to mangle the English language. I expect him, when he speaks, to speak fluently and use correct grammar and syntax. I do not expect to be embarrassed when the leader of our country speaks in public due to his inability to speak in an educated fashion.

I do not think that is too much to ask.

Profile Quote
Ara-anna
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 03 Mar , 2008 3:37 pm
Daydream Believer

I think the thing that bugs me the most about Bush is...He is educated. He does know how to speak correctly. He has the ability to do so. He chooses to put the 'I'm just a know-nothin' cowboy' act on. Most cowboys are much smarter than what he protrays. He isn't even a cowboy, sure he owns a ranch in Texas, but he's as much a cowboy as John Travolta is. He puts the boots and the hat on and then talks down and for some reason it worked. The man actually has a college education from Yale. And, I am sorry; I don't think Yale really has that low of standards, even if Daddy's money is buying you in. If it does, Yale should lose its accreditations.

Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in

Five seconds away from the Tetons and Yellowstone

Profile Quote
Cenedril_Gildinaur
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 03 Mar , 2008 4:01 pm

Feredir wrote:
Legolas the elf wrote:

Legolas, this is not directed specifically at you because you are not the first to put this in type.

freddy
I find it deeply ironic that the party that is the most adamant about political correctness, and includes all sorts of handicaps under the umbrella of said political correctness, doesn't give the same respect to Bush's speech impediment.

There are those who think that since he already has a speech impediment, and therefore will get described as stupid, he decided to play it up to ensure that his opponents continually underestimate him. Apparently it has worked.

The thing that bugs me is that there are times when he can be eloquent. There is one area in which the wiring works correctly. It is when he is speaking from hostility, his desire to bomb, kill, and destroy his perceived enemies.

It is a myth that coercion is necessary in order to force people to get along together, but it is a persistent myth because it feeds a desire many people have. That desire is to be able to justify hurting people who have done nothing other than offend them in some way.

Last edited by Cenedril_Gildinaur on Tue Feb 30, 2026 13:61 am; edited 426 times in total

Profile Quote
Riverthalos
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 03 Mar , 2008 4:47 pm
bioalchemist

Cenedril_Gildinaur wrote:
The thing that bugs me is that there are times when he can be eloquent. There is one area in which the wiring works correctly. It is when he is speaking from hostility, his desire to bomb, kill, and destroy his perceived enemies.
Ah. I've noticed that too, but thought it was my bias coming out.

"He attacks. And here I can kill him. But I don't. That's the answer to world peace, people."
-Stickles Shihan

Profile Quote
The Watcher
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 03 Mar , 2008 5:27 pm
Same as it ever was

I at least do not think GWB is an idiot, I think he is at least at a normal IQ, probably higher. What concerns me is the apparent way he chooses to go about appealing to the American public, as Ara-anna noted, he puts on the hokey Texas home-boy act, and it does not fool any of us any longer. Yes, h frankly is NOT the best public speaker we have ever had, in fact, I think he is pretty poor at it. His mannerisms are forced, he smiles in the most inappropriate places, many times he is clearly nervous. But, he also loses all of that when he is talking about revenge and a need to retaliate against all of the "American enemies" out there. The guy is on a rampage which will never stop, he is so misguided by it that he cannot even see past his own personal lens.

I am certainly not dissing those that support Bush, I even once did, but that was long before the events of 9/11 and then the chosen special circle that Bush opted to surround himself with. He has become zealous, power hungry, paranoid, and unwilling to ever admit that anything he or his administration has done were in error.

Profile Quote
yovargas
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 03 Mar , 2008 7:07 pm

Feredir wrote:
It is saddening to think that just because someone doesn't speak eloquently, he's thought to be stupid.
Is it okay if I judge his intelligence based on his capacity to grasp complex, nuanced issues?

My problem with Bush isn't that he talks like an idiot (though that is annoying), it's that he thinks like one. He regularly tries to reduce complex problem to overly simplistic black-and-white ones out of an apparent lack of ability to grasp anything more complex than that. Smart people are capable of seeing and working with nuances. Bush is not a smart person.

(This does not mean, however, that I think he is the Great Satan.)

Profile Quote
Cenedril_Gildinaur
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 03 Mar , 2008 9:48 pm

Intelligent people can still fall to manichean thinking.

It is a myth that coercion is necessary in order to force people to get along together, but it is a persistent myth because it feeds a desire many people have. That desire is to be able to justify hurting people who have done nothing other than offend them in some way.

Last edited by Cenedril_Gildinaur on Tue Feb 30, 2026 13:61 am; edited 426 times in total

Profile Quote
vison
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 04 Mar , 2008 12:57 am
Best friends forever

Cenedril_Gildinaur wrote:
Intelligent people can still fall to manichean thinking.
Well put!!

Intelligence is all very well and good, but what you want is "common sense".

I don't think Mr. Bush is a moron, or an idiot, in technical terms. But I think he's an idiot for refusing to face reality, for living in denial, for listening to the wrong people - over and over and over and over again.

He seems incapable of learning from experience. He might be able to solve complex mathematical equations, who knows? It's not required for a president to be a mathematician.

What he has as a "fatal flaw" is not stupidity, but a sense of entitlement. Bred in the bone. Hubris is another word for the same thing.

Living on Earth is expensive,
but it does include a free trip
around the sun every year.

Profile Quote
Dave_LF
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 10 Mar , 2008 4:24 pm
You are hearing me talk

Good Salon article:
Fall of the house of Bush

Profile Quote
Dave_LF
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 12 Apr , 2008 3:07 pm
You are hearing me talk

One of Bush's Harvard professors remembers him:
http://dir.salon.com/story/news/feature ... index.html

Not fondly.

Profile Quote
Legolas the elf
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 22 Apr , 2008 5:03 am

Quote:
Bush expressed strong support for the war but admitted to Tsurumi that he'd gotten a coveted spot in the Texas Air National Guard through his father's connections.

'George, what did you do with the draft?' He said, 'Well, I got into the Texas Air National Guard.' And I said, 'Lucky you. I understand there is a long waiting list for it. How'd you get in?' When he told me, he didn't seem ashamed or embarrassed. He thought he was entitled to all kinds of privileges and special deals.
THAT is why I've always despised Bush as President. Not because he's intellectually a moron, but because he's a spoiled-rotten cowardly hypocrite with no principles.

President for two terms...

*sigh*

Bad scene. America's got bad karma.

Profile Quote
Jude
Post subject: Re: George W. Bush
Posted: Fri 23 Jan , 2009 2:04 pm
Aspiring to heresy

How many non-Canadians remember Maher Arar? The man that the Bush Administration deported to Syria for ten months of continuous horrific torture?
Quote:
A legacy of torture
George W. Bush has little to show for his war on terror and its betrayal of moral principles

Maher Arar, Citizen Special

Immediately following the 9/11 attacks on the World Trade Center and the Pentagon, former president George W. Bush launched what he called a "war on terror," a war that did not distinguish between the innocent and the guilty, and a war that left a legacy of death, destruction, and torture. He used his military, law enforcement, and strategic "intelligence" to invade both Afghanistan and later Iraq. We now know the invasion of Iraq was based on faulty CIA information.

The important question to ask is whether Bush achieved his objective of defeating terror, and if he did, at what cost?

It is estimated that the lives of more than 100,000 innocent Muslim civilians have been lost in these two invasions. Untold others suffered permanent injuries.

Inside the U.S., hundreds of Muslims were rounded up without cause, and those who were put on trial did not receive a fair one. Essentially, Muslims in the U.S. came under siege and their loyalty to American values was questioned. The majority of non-Muslim Americans believed that this erosion of civil liberties was confined to a very small portion of the population. But they soon came to realize that the National Security Agency was indiscriminately spying on their phone and electronic communications as well.

In a 2003 speech, Bush criticized Syria for leaving its people with "... a legacy of torture, oppression, misery, and ruin." But we know now this was mainly for show and for public misdirection: the record clearly establishes that his administration co-operated closely with Syria and other countries where hundreds of "terror" suspects were rendered and tortured for the purpose of extracting information. That was certainly my own experience.

In fact, it is now established that his administration inflicted torture directly on detainees both at the Bagram military base in Afghanistan, at the Abu Ghraib prison in Iraq, and at the infamous camp of Guantanamo Bay, places that have become a disgrace, not only to the U.S., but to the entire western world.

Guantanamo Bay still holds two Muslim former child soldiers, one of whom is Omar Khadr, the Canadian citizen whose story has made headlines for several years. How much longer will our government wait before asking for his repatriation? Is it not enough, even for those who fully believe the U.S. charges against him, that he has spent more than a third of his life in a detention camp where he was regularly tortured, abused and humiliated?

Since Bush began his "war on terror," it sadly appears terrorism has in fact increased instead of decreasing. Had the former president realized that "wars" in the 21st century cannot be won through wholesale death, destruction and torture, he might have achieved some degree of victory.

Now, with the inauguration of Barack Obama as the new American president and his decision to finally close Guantanamo Bay, people all over the world are watching with renewed optimism.

It is my hope, and the world's hope as well, that Obama will avoid the mistakes of his predecessor, and forge policies of hope and honesty to replace those of hate and despair, realizing that any "war on terror" must be fought under the banner of law, moral principles, and ethics, not under that of torture, illegitimate secrecy, misinformation, and lawlessness.

Maher Arar is a telecommunications engineer who was abducted by the U.S. government and sent to Syria to be interrogated and tortured. The government of Canada then ordered a Royal Commission of Inquiry that publicly cleared him of any links to terrorism. Mr. Arar will be speaking at a Canadian Journalism Foundation panel on media leaks and ethics on Thursday, Jan. 29, at the University of Toronto.

[ img ]

Melkor and Ungoliant in need of some relationship counselling.

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 3 of 6  [ 107 posts ]
Return to “The Symposium” | Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 5 6 »
Jump to: