board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

Same sex marriages

Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 13 posts ]
Feredir
Post subject: Same sex marriages
Posted: Thu 29 May , 2008 8:11 pm

I was just reading an article about New York State and the Gov. giving a directive on recognizing same sex marriage. I am not looking to start a debate on whether it is right or wrong (relax Lali) but I am curious as to what other countries allow.

Full equality, partial equality, civil unions, not recognized, etc. Please post about what you know.

Thanks,
freddy

aulini
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 29 May , 2008 8:31 pm

Here in Sweden, gays can enter into 'registered partnership', which basically has the same legal implications as marriage. The debate is now about whether actual marriage should be allowed for gays. Politically this is not a big issue, and most of the people in leading positions in the Swedish Church tend to be positive. I think the only reason it hasn't happened so far is fear that all hell would break loose at the grass-root level in the Church. To most secular people I know, which is most people since Sweden is a very secular country, it's just a 'sure, why not?' kind of non-issue.

Common sense isn't

Profile Quote
jewelsong
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 29 May , 2008 8:41 pm
Just keep singin'!

The UK has a Civil Partnership which I believe has basically the same implications of a marriage. The UK tends to treat committed partnerships of any genders the same as a marriage, anyway.

Profile Quote
Nienor SharkAttack
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 29 May , 2008 10:04 pm

Norway is as we speak about to pass a gay marriage law. There's been a partnership law for many years, but this law will make marriage between two persons of the same sex 100 % equal to heterosexual marriages.

I don't think I've ever been more proud of my country.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Wilma
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 30 May , 2008 5:59 pm
Takoyaki is love

Canada has Gay Marriage and things have been going pretty good! No real changes on a societal level at all.

Itoshiki Sensei from Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei. Avatar by: sparklessence

"There is no such thing as coincidence in this world, only hitsuzen." - Yuko Ichihara and Kimihiro Watanuki - xxxHolic

"I'm modest, I'll keep my knickers on and die!" - My sister Grace commenting on Bear Gryllis on an episode of Oprah :rofl:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Crucifer
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 30 May , 2008 9:27 pm
A song outlasts a dynasty.

So far as I know, it's not recognised at all in Ireland...

Sleep is a death; Oh, make me try by sleeping what it is to die.

Profile Quote
Lidless
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 04 Jun , 2008 1:35 pm
Als u het leven te ernstig neemt, mist u de betekenis.

Legal recognition of same-sex marriage
Belgium
Canada
Greece
Netherlands (first in the world of course - April 2001)
South Africa
Spain
United States (MA, CA eff. 2008-6-17)

Foreign marriages recognized
Aruba
Israel
Netherlands Antilles
United States (NM, NY, RI)

Civil unions and registered partnerships recognized
Andorra
Argentina (C, R, VCP)
Australia (TAS, ACT, VIC eff. 2008-12-1)
Brazil (RS)
Canada (QC)
Czech Republic
Denmark
Finland
France
Germany
Hungary (eff. 2009-1-1)
Iceland
Luxembourg
Mexico (Coah., DF)
New Zealand
Norway
Slovenia
Sweden
Switzerland
United Kingdom
United States (CA, CT, DC, HI, ME, NH, NJ, OR, VT, WA)
Uruguay

Unregistered co-habitation recognized
Australia
Austria
Brazil
Colombia
Croatia
Israel
Portugal

Recognition debated
Argentina
Austria
Australia
Brazil
Chile
China
Colombia
Costa Rica
Croatia
Cuba
Estonia
Ecuador
Faroe Islands
Ireland
Italy
Jersey
Latvia
Liechtenstein
Lithuania
Poland
Romania
Slovakia
Taiwan
United States (IA, IL, MD, NM, NY, RI)

Recognition granted, same-sex marriage debated
Czech Republic
Denmark
France
Hungary
Iceland
New Zealand
Norway
Portugal
Sweden
United Kingdom
United States (CT, DC, HI, ME, NH, NJ, OR, VT, WA)

[ img ]

Profile Quote
vison
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 04 Jun , 2008 4:02 pm
Best friends forever

A lovely story in the paper today. I don't know how many of you know who Jan Morris is. Jan Morris is a very well known writer, the author of about 40 books, some of which I've read. Her travel writing is marvellous, and well worth looking into. Much more readable than Paul Theroux!

Jan Morris began life as James Morris. As James Morris he was a journalist and he was the journalist who first brought the news that Sir Edmund Hillary and Tenzing had climbed Everest. In his autobiography "Conundrum" Morris said it was the only time she was glad she was a man (hard to keep the gender thing straight!) since no woman journalist would have been allowed on the scene. "Conundrum" is a great read, believe me, a wonderful book about a fascinating person.

As James Morris he married Elizabeth and they had 5 children. Elizabeth always knew that James believed he should have been born a woman but they loved each other very much and the marriage was a success as far as that goes. When James became Jan they divorced - but they lived together just the same and have for 60 years now.

The other day they remarried. Jan married Elizabeth. And I hope they live happily ever after as they have lived happily before.

Living on Earth is expensive,
but it does include a free trip
around the sun every year.

Profile Quote
The Watcher
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 05 Jun , 2008 12:38 am
Same as it ever was

Why did they need to remarry?

Just asking to be ornery, since I think this whole thing is so stupid from the outset as to be unexplainable by any sort of civil or secular law.

I have always wondered what the US position would be (insert state of our choice here) when a man and woman marry, have children, and then either man or woman decide that they should change genders for valid reasons. So, now little Jonny and little Jane have two mommies, or two daddies. Yet, the state still holds that this is a valid mariage. but, those who enter into it pre kids and only wanting to be recognized for feelings that they have that are even more forthright and honest are penalized. Heck, in "progressive" Wisconsin, we passed a referendum to define marriage as only between one man and one woman. I do not know if they applied it to the state constitution as of yet, I guess not, since there has been no uproar about it for many years. But, it is short sighted and really silly, as in, who can now even define gender? If one is born as one gender and changes it and that change is legally recognized, then doesn't that defeat the whole 'marriage" argument right then and there? Granted, this may be a technicality, but, such bigger wars are won on such stuff all of the time.

Profile Quote
vison
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 05 Jun , 2008 2:48 am
Best friends forever

I don't know why they got divorced in the first place. Morris said it was because they "had to", but she doesn't really explain it.

I think the remarriage was just to reformalize the situation.

Living on Earth is expensive,
but it does include a free trip
around the sun every year.

Profile Quote
Nienor SharkAttack
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 11 Jun , 2008 4:13 pm

Today our law was passed. Full equality for same sex marriages.

:love:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jude
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 11 Jun , 2008 4:33 pm
Aspiring to heresy

Way to go Norway!!! :thumbsup

[ img ]

Melkor and Ungoliant in need of some relationship counselling.

Profile Quote
Wilma
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 21 Jun , 2008 5:29 pm
Takoyaki is love

I just read this from an LJ I thought it was interesting.
Ladydarkmoon LJ wrote:

1) Being gay is not natural. Real Americans always reject unnatural things like eyeglasses, polyester, liposuction and air conditioning.

2) Gay marriage will encourage people to be gay, in the same way that hanging around tall people will make you tall.

3) Legalizing gay marriage will open the door to all kinds of crazy behavior. People may even wish to marry their pets because a dog has legal standing and can sign a marriage contract.

4) Straight marriage has been around a long time and hasn't changed at all; women are still property, blacks still can't marry whites, and divorce is still illegal.

5) Straight marriage will be less meaningful if gay marriage were allowed; the sanctity of Brittany Spears' 55-hour just-for-fun marriage would be destroyed.

6) Straight marriages are valid because they produce children. Gay couples, infertile couples, and old people shouldn't be allowed to marry because our orphanages aren't full yet, and the world needs more children.

7) Obviously gay parents will raise gay children, since straight parents only raise straight children.

8) Gay marriage is not supported by religion. In a theocracy like ours, the values of one religion are imposed on the entire country. That's why we have only one religion in America.

9) Children can never succeed without a male and a female role model at home. That's why we as a society expressly forbid single parents to raise children.

10) Gay marriage will change the foundation of society; we could never adapt to new social norms. Just like we haven't adapted to cars, the service-sector economy, or longer life spans...
I got a good laugh out of some of these.

Itoshiki Sensei from Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei. Avatar by: sparklessence

"There is no such thing as coincidence in this world, only hitsuzen." - Yuko Ichihara and Kimihiro Watanuki - xxxHolic

"I'm modest, I'll keep my knickers on and die!" - My sister Grace commenting on Bear Gryllis on an episode of Oprah :rofl:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 13 posts ]
Return to “The Symposium”
Jump to: