board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

Man [Redneck] Opens Fire in Tennessee Church

Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 11 posts ]
Legolas the elf
Post subject: Man [Redneck] Opens Fire in Tennessee Church
Posted: Sat 09 Aug , 2008 2:59 am
Trudging the road of happy destiny...

Unitarian Universalists, that is. Just down the street from where I'm living.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080728/ap_ ... h_shooting

Profile Quote
Jude
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 09 Aug , 2008 8:46 am
Aspiring to heresy

Good for the brave people that disarmed him. It could have been a lot, lot worse. :(

[ img ]

Melkor and Ungoliant in need of some relationship counselling.

Profile Quote
Dave_LF
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 11 Aug , 2008 1:47 pm
You are hearing me talk

Random killing of civilians with religio-political motivations? Had the killer been a Muslim, this would be page one news and the word "terrorism" would be on everyone's lips. But I guess it's different when Christians do it.

Profile Quote
Jude
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 11 Aug , 2008 2:17 pm
Aspiring to heresy

:scratch: There's no mention in the article of this guy being a Christian.

[ img ]

Melkor and Ungoliant in need of some relationship counselling.

Profile Quote
Dave_LF
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 11 Aug , 2008 2:40 pm
You are hearing me talk

You're right; the various articles are silent on that point, except for saying that he was raised in a right-wing church and that he didn't harbor any hatred toward Christianity or religion in general (just Liberalism). So replace "Christians do it" with "the Radical Right does it" pending further clarification, I guess.

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 11 Aug , 2008 2:44 pm
The Grey Amaretto as Supermega-awesome Proud Heretic Girl

Actually, this was headline news when it occurred. I had heard about it long before Lego posted it on here.

Lali

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Angbasdil
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 11 Aug , 2008 5:00 pm
The man, the myth, the monkey

Yes, but the point is that it's not being called "terrorism".
Nor, for that matter, are the anthrax mailings.

Seems to me that the whole claim about not having a terrorist attack on US soil since 9/11 is mostly semantic.

But back on point, I'm especially impressed with how the UU's have handled the aftermath. They've been peaceful and forgiving, just what Jesus would do.

Profile Quote
Dave_LF
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 11 Aug , 2008 6:57 pm
You are hearing me talk

That's right, Ang. For my part, I think that calling things like this "terrorism" renders the term almost meaningless regardless of whether the instigator is a Muslim, Christian, Secular Humanist, or strict devotee of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. But does anyone really doubt that the right-wing pundits would be all over this story doing exactly that if he had been a Muslim? I guess my point, assuming I have one, is just that this is more evidence that, in many minds, the "war on terror" is just a smokescreen for "the war on people we don't like". The various terror warriors I know of have expended considerably less energy and hot air on the Tim McVeighs and Jim Adkissons of the world than they have on more foreign-looking targets.

Profile Quote
Angbasdil
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 11 Aug , 2008 11:31 pm
The man, the myth, the monkey

Personally, I think the "war on terror" is actually a smokescreen for the war on our civil liberties and a war for profit.

But that's all quite off-topic.

Profile Quote
Legolas the elf
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 03 Sep , 2008 3:09 am
Trudging the road of happy destiny...

Dave - Yes, if the all-knowing, heroic, martyr Caucasian man had been a Muslim, it would have been called 'terrorism' in this white-man country. Politics. Americans, especially right-wingers that believe in "the war" and think of sand colored people upon hearing "terrorism," want to have their thinking done by politicians.
Keeping a politician in check is hard enough without droves of civilians signing off the politicians bullshit.

Profile Quote
PrinceAlarming
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 07 Sep , 2008 11:36 pm

Angbasdil wrote:
Seems to me that the whole claim about not having a terrorist attack on US soil since 9/11 is mostly semantic.
I think that 9/11 has become the watermark for a terrorist attack on our soil. Even if the shooter was Muslim and parading his loyalty to the Jihad, it wouldn't compare. The anthrax scare was perceived more of a minor nuisance than some grand, deadly plot.

Those pesky terrorists have outdone themselves...

This can still fuel fire for gun control if a politician wants to pour it on like gasoline...
Legolas the elf wrote:
Keeping a politician in check is hard enough without droves of civilians signing off the politicians bullshit.
I agree. Although, I think not voicing complaints or concerns about some senator's bullshit and just allowing it is worse than agreeing with it. At least agreement is action; inaction is dangerous and allows those in power to think that we, the voting public, won't care about any decision made.

Me thinks they forget about us...

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 11 posts ]
Return to “The Symposium”
Jump to: