The Last Homely Site on the Web

Garfield minus Garfield

Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ]
Cenedril_Gildinaur
Post subject: Garfield minus Garfield
Posted: Mon 11 Aug , 2008 6:51 pm

Take the comic strip Garfield.

Erase Garfield from it.

Now it is transformed into a disturbing analysis of a man with schizophrenia.

Garfield Minus Garfield

It's creepy AND funny.

It is a myth that coercion is necessary in order to force people to get along together, but it is a persistent myth because it feeds a desire many people have. That desire is to be able to justify hurting people who have done nothing other than offend them in some way.

Last edited by Cenedril_Gildinaur on Tue Feb 30, 2026 13:61 am; edited 426 times in total

Profile Quote
yovargas
Post subject: Re: Garfield minus Garfield
Posted: Mon 11 Aug , 2008 9:18 pm

Cenedril_Gildinaur wrote:
It's creepy AND funny.
You forgot sad and surreal.
Oh man, I love it!

Profile Quote
Dave_LF
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 11 Aug , 2008 9:19 pm
You are hearing me talk

I've seen other ones where they remove Garfield's thought bubbles but leave him in place. Both types are pretty darn funny.

Edit: Lots of examples:
http://www.shapelessmass.com/junk/garfield_no_dialogue/

Profile Quote
BrianIsSmilingAtYou
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 12 Aug , 2008 5:55 am

It is also coming out as a book, approved by Jim Davis:
Quote:
Ballantine Books to Publish Book Inspired by the Webcomic Garfield Minus Garfield

Collection to be published simultaneously with Garfield 30th anniversary book

NEW YORK, NY – July 30, 2008 – Paws, Inc. and Ballantine Books, a division of the Random House Publishing Group, announced last week at Comic-Con International that Ballantine will publish a book inspired by the popular webcomic Garfield Minus Garfield.

Garfield Minus Garfield (www.garfieldminusgarfield.net) made its online debut in February 2008 and quickly became an online sensation based on a simple premise: What would Jim Davis’ Garfield comic strip be like without its lasagna-loving fat cat? Without the presence of Garfield and other characters such as Odie the dog and Nermal the kitten, the strips “create a new, even lonelier atmosphere for Jon Arbuckle…Jon’s observations seem to teeter between existential crisis and deep despair.” (New York Times)

The full-color book format will give readers the experience of having both the original and doctored Garfield strips together on the same page for comparison. Dublin, Ireland-based Garfield Minus Garfield creator Dan Walsh will provide the foreword to the book.

Garfield creator Jim Davis was intrigued by—and pleased with—the concept. “I think it’s an inspired thing to do,” Davis said. “I want to thank Dan for enabling me to see another side of Garfield. Some of the strips he chose were slappers: ‘Oh, I could have left that out.’ It would have been funnier.”

Garfield Minus Garfield site creator Dan Walsh says, “When I looked at Jon and laughed at his crazy antics I thought ‘He’s just like me.’ As it turns out, I wasn’t the only one saw myself in him: millions of visitors from all over the world visit Garfield Minus Garfield and tell me they think the same thing. Now, thanks to the awesome generosity and humor of Jim Davis, Garfield Minus Garfield is going to become a book and I’m absolutely honored to be part of it.”

Ballantine Books has been publishing Garfield books since 1980, and thirty-three Garfield titles have made the New York Times bestseller list. Thirty Years of Laughs and Lasagna: The Life and Times of a Fat, Furry Legend, will be published by Ballantine Books in October 2008. This hardcover anniversary collection will include a foreword from Dean Young, Blondie cartoonist, and exclusive content from Jim Davis.
BrianIs :) AtYou

[ img ]

My niece, Humera, under a pumpkin leaf!

Profile Quote
Dawnnamira
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 12 Aug , 2008 6:04 am

I found this site months ago through UserFriendly (webcomic, lol) and I love it so much.

It's genius. And I'll probably buy the book someday.

How strange it is to be anything at all

Profile Quote
Lord_Morningstar
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 12 Aug , 2008 11:57 am

They're both very funny, although I'm probably a little more amused by Jon simply talking to his cat rather than talking to thin air - provides a reference point, and allows for the possibility that Jon is lonely and eccentric rather than outright insane.

And also for comics fans, one of my favourite blogs: http://joshreads.com/

[Space for Rent]

Profile Quote
Dave_LF
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 12 Aug , 2008 10:03 pm
You are hearing me talk

This may be my favorite:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
TheEllipticalDisillusion
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 13 Aug , 2008 4:18 pm
Insolent Pup

I found Garfield Minus Garfield months ago and it is one of my favorite webcomics. I like the other one as well, but I love the darkness of GmG.

The 11/3 Project

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ]
Return to “The Symposium”
Jump to: