board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

The first presidential debate (9/26) and the others!

Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]
Amrunelen
Post subject: The first presidential debate (9/26) and the others!
Posted: Sat 27 Sep , 2008 3:08 am
wencherific

So! This isn't my usual home as far as forums and posting go, but I was just watching the debate this evening with one of my roomates accompanied by some delicious freshly baked brownies and I was inspired.

Reflections? Reactions?

We're quite determined to tell McCain that we don't believe you can win an occupation, in relation to Iraq of course. And I really would have liked to wipe that ridiculous, consistent grin off of his face. I think Obama held his own pretty well and, well, I'm biased of course seeing as I'm in favor of him. No one really ran away with a win and I'll be curious to see how the facts play out and the truth in some of the claims they were making and arguing over as far as 'he said she said'.

Annnd I think the Palin/Biden debate next week will be a riot! :D

Last edited by Amrunelen on Tue 14 Oct , 2008 4:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

[ img ]

"Morning has broken and I have felt a presence that disturbs
me with the joy of elevated thoughts; a sense sublime of
something far more deeply interfused, whose dwelling is the
light of setting suns, and the round ocean and the living air,
and the blue sky, and in the mind of man; a motion and a
spirit, that impels." -Wordsworth

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Post subject: Re: The first presidential debate (9/26)
Posted: Sat 27 Sep , 2008 1:32 pm
The Grey Amaretto as Supermega-awesome Proud Heretic Girl

I watched for a while, felt both candidates did a good job speaking. I think McCain is a slightly better speaker, overall, and, particularly when they were talking about the war, I couldn't help but think, "McCain has serious experience in this regard. Obama most certainly does not."

:shrug: Whatever. I'm biased. I'm voting for McCain and no debate is going to change my mind, unless one of them completely reverses himself on certain key issues. Even then, I'm not sure I would trust a reversal of opinion at this stage of the game.

I went to bed early and read for a couple of hours. :love: But brownies would've been good!

Lali

[ img ]

Profile Quote
TheMary
Posted: Sat 27 Sep , 2008 8:52 pm
I took the stars from my eyes, and then I made a map, And knew that somehow I could find my way back; Then I heard your heart beating, you were in the darkness too - So I stayed in the darkness with you

I was working when the debates were on, politicians should think of use retail workers when they decide to "debate" :P (it's an impossible scenario, but that's life). But I did take that quote quiz from one of the sites, CBS I think.

Here's the bottom line, both are blowing smoke up our bums. Politicians talk big and perform poorly or else we wouldn't have half the issues we have today. From the quiz mentioned above I'm Obama's gal, no big surprise, but the bottom line is both of their policies suck on Gay Marriage, the environment, illegal immigrants, and abortion.

Lay down
Your sweet and weary head
Night is falling
You’ve come to journey's end
Sleep now
And dream of the ones who came before
They are calling
From across the distant shore

Why do you weep?
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see
All of your fears will pass away
Safe in my arms
You're only sleeping

Profile Quote
sauronsfinger
Posted: Sun 28 Sep , 2008 4:07 pm

We should drop the "illegal immigrants" target and instead focus on "illegal employers". That would clear up the problem in short order.

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs. - John Rogers

Profile Quote
Cenedril_Gildinaur
Posted: Sun 28 Sep , 2008 6:30 pm

McBama favors the Billionaire Bailout.

McBama won't say what programs have to be cut to pay for the Billionaire Bailout.

McBama thinks "we should never hesitate to use military force."

McBama wants to escalate the other unwinnable "land war in Asia".

McBama is not sure about whether to start a third unwinnable land war in Asia, against nuclear power Pakistan.

McBama would go to war against Iran for the sake of Israel if necessary. He is not sure if he wants to talk with the Iranians before bombing them.

The most entertaining part of the debate was during the bailout and cut programs during the bailout questions. The host was getting really frustrated because the identicalness of the two candidates was so blatant even he, Mr. Mainstream, couldn't pretend that they were different any more. He kept trying to force them to give him a soundbyte that makes their identical programs sound different, and failed.

Kind of like getting people to answer the tough questions here. Or the easy ones.

It is a myth that coercion is necessary in order to force people to get along together, but it is a persistent myth because it feeds a desire many people have. That desire is to be able to justify hurting people who have done nothing other than offend them in some way.

Last edited by Cenedril_Gildinaur on Tue Feb 30, 2026 13:61 am; edited 426 times in total

Profile Quote
TheEllipticalDisillusion
Posted: Fri 03 Oct , 2008 8:13 pm
Insolent Pup

I know this isn't a thread for the VP debate, but I have one comment to make regarding it. McCain, as Palin said, knows how to win a war -- like Vietnam?

The 11/3 Project

Profile Quote
Amrunelen
Posted: Tue 14 Oct , 2008 4:40 am
wencherific

Oooh, this is an every debate thread now. I had a few good laughs during the VP debate (Obidens and joe sixpacks....oh my). And couldn't believe how nasty McCain was getting during the 'town hall' presidential. :Q

And in the spirit of things Tolkien, just watched some interview clip with a comedian earlier on MSN who compared MCain to Gollum in a news column of something. :P

[ img ]

"Morning has broken and I have felt a presence that disturbs
me with the joy of elevated thoughts; a sense sublime of
something far more deeply interfused, whose dwelling is the
light of setting suns, and the round ocean and the living air,
and the blue sky, and in the mind of man; a motion and a
spirit, that impels." -Wordsworth

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]
Return to “The Symposium”
Jump to: