board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

Local School Levy Campaign Gets Kinda Ugly

Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]
LalaithUrwen
Post subject: Local School Levy Campaign Gets Kinda Ugly
Posted: Wed 22 Oct , 2008 12:49 pm
The Grey Amaretto as Supermega-awesome Proud Heretic Girl

http://www.daytondailynews.com/n/conten ... ntweb.html" target="_blank" target="_blank
Quote:
Hearing set for Springboro schools election dispute

By Lawrence Budd

Staff Writer

Tuesday, October 21, 2008

SPRINGBORO — The Ohio Elections Commission is scheduled to consider on Thursday a complaint filed by David Baker, superintendent of the Springboro Community City Schools, against five residents of the school district.

Three members of the state commission will consider complaints against Don Gingerich, James D. Anders, Donald E. Rhodehamel, Len Sholder and Daniel McClure during a probable cause hearing beginning at 8:30 a.m. Thursday at the commission office, 21 W. Broad St., Suite 600.

Gingerich is accused of including false information in leaflets distributed during the campaign leading up to a special August election on a phased-in, five-year property tax levy identical to one on Nov. 4 ballots.

Anders, Rhodehamel, Sholder and McClure are accused of posting campaign signs lacking disclaimers required by state law.

After voters rejected the August levy, school administrators said they were filing a complaint. However the complaint wasn't accepted by the commission until last week.

"They finally filed it properly with us," Phillip Richter, staff attorney and executive director for the commission said on Tuesday, Oct. 21.

If commissioners find probable cause on Thursday, the commission could make a decision on the complaints on Oct. 30 or Nov. 3, the day before the election, Richter said.

"We'll do our best to hear all these matters before the election," Richter said.
One of the men is the father-in-law of my daughter's tutor (who is also my personal friend).

Even putting that aside, this smacks of sour grapes to me. Freddy and I were surprised. You mean we couldn't put a sign in our yard opposing (or supporting) something? Would you have known that you needed a proper disclaimer at the bottom? These were not printed signs, simply handmade ones that he posted in his own yard. This sure seems like a free speech violation. ??

I hope the levy fails again just because this superintendent is being a petty, whiny nit-picker.

My friend says there is even more to this story, and she'll fill me in next week. (I guess this has affected his job, too, but I can't remember where he works again.)

Lali

[ img ]

Profile Quote
sauronsfinger
Post subject: Re: Local School Levy Campaign Gets Kinda Ugly
Posted: Wed 22 Oct , 2008 3:19 pm

Lalaith -- efforts like this only serve to undermine the confidence of many citizens in the democratic process. And for that reason alone they are despicable.

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs. - John Rogers

Profile Quote
Cenedril_Gildinaur
Posted: Wed 22 Oct , 2008 5:10 pm

Campaign finance laws, such as McCain-Feingold, are designed to limit citizen participation. If two people get together with the intent to make signs opposing a measure, they are an unreigstered committee (uh-oh) making signs without proper legaliese (uh-oh again).

20/20 - Politically Incorrect Guide To Politics - Pt. 4 of 6
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Pu6cT6ICQQ

Yet some who currently call these laws despicable are also their staunchest supporters. And all those who make the unreigstered committees that make these illegal signes - how dare they think they can oppose the will of the majority! They're in the minority so they must be wrong, correct?

It undermines the will of people to participate, but their ability to participate hs been decided by the democratic process. Some people find that this issues causes them internal contradictions, but I don't have that problem.

I hope this levy fails. I hope the superintendent loses his next election as well.

It is a myth that coercion is necessary in order to force people to get along together, but it is a persistent myth because it feeds a desire many people have. That desire is to be able to justify hurting people who have done nothing other than offend them in some way.

Last edited by Cenedril_Gildinaur on Tue Feb 30, 2026 13:61 am; edited 426 times in total

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Sun 26 Oct , 2008 1:44 am
The Grey Amaretto as Supermega-awesome Proud Heretic Girl

I have to say that I agree with you, CG.

I haven't heard from my friend, so I don't know what happened at the hearing. And I haven't been home to watch the news either.

Lali

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]
Return to “The Symposium”
Jump to: