board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

Backwards Africa

Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 12 posts ]
Lidless
Post subject: Backwards Africa
Posted: Sun 02 Nov , 2008 2:03 pm
Als u het leven te ernstig neemt, mist u de betekenis.

Africa has always been a backwards continent (with no favours from Europe in its history) with corruption and genocidal tribal crap, but this story is one of the worst.
The Press Association, today wrote:
A 13-year-old girl who said she had been raped has been stoned to death in Somalia after being accused of adultery by Islamic militants.

Dozens of men stoned Aisha Ibrahim Duhulow to death on October 27 in a stadium packed with 1,000 spectators in the southern port city of Kismayo, Amnesty International and Somali media reported, citing witnesses.

The Islamic militia in charge of Kismayo had accused her of adultery after she reported that three men had raped her, the rights group said.

Initial local media reports said Miss Duhulow was 23, but her father told Amnesty International she was 13. Some of the Somali journalists who first reported the killing later told Amnesty International that they had reported she was 23 based upon her physical appearance.

"This child suffered a horrendous death at the behest of the armed opposition groups who currently control Kismayo," David Copeman, Amnesty International's Somalia campaigner, said in a statement on Friday.

Somalia is among the world's most violent and impoverished countries. The nation of some eight million people has not had a functioning government since warlords overthrew a dictator in 1991 then turned on each other.

A quarter of Somali children die before age five; nearly every public institution has collapsed. Fighting is a daily occurrence, with violent deaths reported nearly every day.
This is where even I run out of swear words.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Crucifer
Post subject: Re: Backwards Africa
Posted: Sun 02 Nov , 2008 6:18 pm
A song outlasts a dynasty.

I read that on CNN yesterday. It made me cry. It's absolutely... I don't know what to say really.

Sleep is a death; Oh, make me try by sleeping what it is to die.

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Sun 02 Nov , 2008 7:58 pm
The Grey Amaretto as Supermega-awesome Proud Heretic Girl

:bawl: :bawl: :bawl:

Me either. That poor baby.

Lali

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Crucifer
Posted: Sun 02 Nov , 2008 8:30 pm
A song outlasts a dynasty.

I mean, she's only a year older than my sister...

Sleep is a death; Oh, make me try by sleeping what it is to die.

Profile Quote
Ara-anna
Posted: Sun 02 Nov , 2008 8:40 pm
Daydream Believer

It is truly sad. I don't even know what else to say.

Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in

Five seconds away from the Tetons and Yellowstone

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Posted: Sun 02 Nov , 2008 11:30 pm
I've cried a thousand oceans, and I would cry a thousand more if that's what it takes to sail you home.

Humanity in general seems pretty backwards at times. I visit http://pysih.com/ a lot. I'm sure it could inspire in you the creation of many new swear words, Lidless. :(

Like countless unhelpful folks before me... I don't know what the answer is. But it makes me appreciate living in a country where some of the more hideous crimes (or the leniency with which they're dealt) isn't quite so commonplace.

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Wed 03 Feb , 2010 4:55 pm
Aspiring to heresy

Not Africa in this case, but similar:

A 16-year-old girl who was raped in Bangladesh has been given 101 lashes for conceiving during the assault.
Quote:
The girl's father was also fined and warned the family would be branded outcasts from their village if he did not pay.

According to human rights activists, the girl, who was quickly married after the attack, was divorced weeks later after medical tests revealed she was pregnant.

The girl was raped by a 20-year-old villager in Brahmanbaria district in April last year.

Bangladesh's Daily Star newspaper reported that she was so ashamed following the attack that she did not lodge a complaint.

Her rape emerged after her pregnancy test and Muslim elders in the village issued a fatwa insisting that the girl be kept in isolation until her family agreed to corporal punishment.

Her rapist was pardoned by the elders. She told the newspaper the rapist had "spoiled" her life.

"I want justice," she said
I just despair for our species sometimes. :(

[ img ]

Melkor and Ungoliant in need of some relationship counselling.

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Posted: Thu 04 Feb , 2010 3:44 am
I've cried a thousand oceans, and I would cry a thousand more if that's what it takes to sail you home.

[ img ]

Heyyyyy, villagers. That's what vaginas do. You fuck 'em, and a baby starts to grow. Not the vagina owner's fault! In fact, it's usually because vagina owners own vaginas that they're not counted on or allowed to do much else but get fucked and grow babies! So if your problem in life is that a fucked vagina grew a baby, perhaps you should make it easier on yourselves and get rid of the women. Think of all the future generations that would be pleased with this! It is the clear solution. Just men, no stupid vaginas around acting like whores. Why did you keep them around so long in the first place? Nothing but trouble, them 'ginas!

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
Di of Long Cleeve
Posted: Fri 05 Feb , 2010 2:08 pm
Frodo's girl through and through

What these insanely cruel fundamentalist laws reveal is an utter hatred and contempt for women.

:rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage:

These self-righteous men should themselves be subjected to a public flogging and stoning!

Although it's not just 'backwards' Africa. I think that misogyny is deeply embedded in many cultures ... including European ones.

For example, the story of the Magdalene Laundries in Ireland (and there were some in Scotland, too) is exceedingly grim:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magdalene_Asylum

OK, no state-sanctioned murder here, but still exceedingly grim.

"Frodo undertook his quest out of love - to save the world he knew from disaster at his own expense, if he could ... " Letter no. 246

Avatar by elanordh on Live Journal

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Posted: Fri 05 Feb , 2010 9:40 pm

Di, I saw the film Magdalene Sisters, and the documentary included on its DVD. :( Makes me sick to my stomach. I'm lucky to not live in a society quite like that, but I wish I knew how to make things even better for future generations.

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
elfshadow
Posted: Fri 05 Feb , 2010 10:22 pm
Kill the headlights and put it in neutral

Things like this just make me want to vomit. :sick: :( For all the progress that has been made in women's rights in some parts of the world, the distance we still have to go is staggering.

This was not in Africa, but in southeastern Turkey. A 16-year-old girl was buried alive by her family in an "honor killing", which routinely occur after a woman has "disgraced her family" by, among other things, talking to a boy.

I don't get it. I never will.

:rage:

Profile Quote
Di of Long Cleeve
Posted: Sun 07 Feb , 2010 8:11 pm
Frodo's girl through and through

*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R* wrote:
Di, I saw the film Magdalene Sisters, and the documentary included on its DVD. :( Makes me sick to my stomach.
Oh yes, *E*, that is an incredibly traumatic film. I don't think I could bear to watch it again. :bawl:
elfshadow wrote:
Things like this just make me want to vomit. :sick: :( For all the progress that has been made in women's rights in some parts of the world, the distance we still have to go is staggering.

This was not in Africa, but in southeastern Turkey. A 16-year-old girl was buried alive by her family in an "honor killing", which routinely occur after a woman has "disgraced her family" by, among other things, talking to a boy.
How utterly sickening. That poor kid. :( :rage:

It is worth noting that this appalling Turkish case is linked to a cultural practice rather than to religious fundamentalism (although that doesn't make fundamentalism blameless).

"Frodo undertook his quest out of love - to save the world he knew from disaster at his own expense, if he could ... " Letter no. 246

Avatar by elanordh on Live Journal

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 12 posts ]
Return to “The Symposium”
Jump to: