board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

Congress

Post Reply   Page 4 of 5  [ 81 posts ]
Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 5 »
Rebecca
Post subject: Re: Congress
Posted: Wed 19 Nov , 2008 6:14 pm

I'm going to lock this thread for a minute while I remove the unwanted posts. Sorry to those of you who are adding to the discussion, it'll just be a moment.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Rebecca
Posted: Wed 19 Nov , 2008 6:19 pm

Ok, it's unlocked. Continue the discussion.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
TheEllipticalDisillusion
Posted: Wed 19 Nov , 2008 6:24 pm
Insolent Pup

Quote:
Again: technology has made it possible to maintain order in large operations, to do things we never could before. Take Wal-Mart, or any large corporation. They have over a million employees worldwide, yet they aren't falling apart and are one of the most successful, powerful businesses the world has ever seen. I see no reason why 10,000 reps, paltry in comparison, couldn't efficiently accomplish great things for the good of all.
It isn't an issue of technology. The issue is about the number of representatives and what can be accomplished with any efficiency.

The 11/3 Project

Profile Quote
TheEllipticalDisillusion
Posted: Wed 19 Nov , 2008 6:25 pm
Insolent Pup

Why was my recent response to CG removed?

The 11/3 Project

Profile Quote
Onizuka Eikichi
Posted: Wed 19 Nov , 2008 6:27 pm

TheEllipticalDisillusion wrote:
Quote:
It isn't an issue of technology. The issue is about the number of representatives and what can be accomplished with any efficiency.
But it is about technology. Since we have said technology, I believe 10,000 reps can work together smoothly. Numbers are no excuse anymore.
sauronsfinger wrote:
from Onizuka
Quote:
Take Wal-Mart, or any large corporation. They have over a million employees worldwide, yet they aren't falling apart and are one of the most successful, powerful businesses the world has ever seen. I see no reason why 10,000 reps, paltry in comparison, couldn't efficiently accomplish great things for the good of all.
You do realize that Wal Mart is a private corporation and the House of Represenetaives is an integral part of the democratic function of representative government - right?

You do realize that Wal Mart has as its goal financial profit while the goal of the Congress is to represent the American people as part of its elected government - right?

You do realize that Wal Mart is a top down authoritative organization while Congress is a democratic organization that takes it orders from the bottom up - right?

You are comparing two very very different things who are not similar in any significant way.
[/quote]

That wasn't my point. Let me spell it out for you: modern technology can keep large groups of people and enormous operations running smoothly. Therefore, the argument that 10,000 reps is too much is irrelevant.

What are you saying, exactly? That said technology works for private groups but not public ones? You couldn't be more wrong. What keeps the military (arguably the largest and most cumbersome entity in the government) running smooth?

I really dislike saying the same thing over and over again. This is why I stopped posting one or two years ago. Talking to brick walls and people who argue for the sake of arguing is not stimulating, just irritating.

Last edited by Onizuka Eikichi on Wed 19 Nov , 2008 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

冬ながら
空より花の
散り来るは
雲のあなたに
春にやあるらん

Profile Quote
Cenedril_Gildinaur
Posted: Wed 19 Nov , 2008 6:28 pm

Why was my recent response to CG removed?
They took the whole page, including one post by you, one by Onizuka, and one by me that weren't about the derail. They happened to be on the wrong page.

Last edited by Cenedril_Gildinaur on Wed 19 Nov , 2008 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

It is a myth that coercion is necessary in order to force people to get along together, but it is a persistent myth because it feeds a desire many people have. That desire is to be able to justify hurting people who have done nothing other than offend them in some way.

Last edited by Cenedril_Gildinaur on Tue Feb 30, 2026 13:61 am; edited 426 times in total

Profile Quote
Rebecca
Posted: Wed 19 Nov , 2008 6:29 pm

Sorry TED. It's the first thread I've ever had to split. Guess I did it wrong. Sorry about the few posts that got moved incorrectly.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Onizuka Eikichi
Posted: Wed 19 Nov , 2008 6:32 pm

Rebecca wrote:
Sorry TED. It's the first thread I've ever had to split. Guess I did it wrong. Sorry about the few posts that got moved incorrectly.
NO problem. I don't mind the occasional atomic weapon dropped on a thread. From the ashes! ;)

冬ながら
空より花の
散り来るは
雲のあなたに
春にやあるらん

Profile Quote
TheEllipticalDisillusion
Posted: Wed 19 Nov , 2008 6:33 pm
Insolent Pup

Oh well.

Okay, Onizuka, how would technology help pass a bill in a 10k House? I don't need to hear about how they could be in different rooms and transmit over a WAN or LAN. That's not an issue. The nuts and bolts of how to get 10k people looking at each other doesn't factor into how to get 10k people to listen to each other. Just saying "I believe 10,000 reps can work together smoothly" isn't saying much. 10k people could have 10k different opinions on a bill, or 5k different opinions, or 2500 different opinions. How do you get reconcile such a large grouping of opinions to accomplish anything in House?

The 11/3 Project

Profile Quote
Onizuka Eikichi
Posted: Wed 19 Nov , 2008 7:04 pm

Oh well.

Okay, Onizuka, how would technology help pass a bill in a 10k House? I don't need to hear about how they could be in different rooms and transmit over a WAN or LAN. That's not an issue. The nuts and bolts of how to get 10k people looking at each other doesn't factor into how to get 10k people to listen to each other. Just saying "I believe 10,000 reps can work together smoothly" isn't saying much. 10k people could have 10k different opinions on a bill, or 5k different opinions, or 2500 different opinions. How do you get reconcile such a large grouping of opinions to accomplish anything in House?
Isn't that what democracy is supposed to be? Isn't that how it currently works? If the majority doesn't agree on something, generally that means the proposal is not very good for the majority. Right? Having more people won't affect the speed at which a good proposal gets through. Only the poor ones. IN THEORY, of course.

Last edited by Onizuka Eikichi on Wed 19 Nov , 2008 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

冬ながら
空より花の
散り来るは
雲のあなたに
春にやあるらん

Profile Quote
Ara-anna
Posted: Wed 19 Nov , 2008 7:05 pm
Daydream Believer

Yeah, well....my whole post about my evil plots to take over the univer....world was also moved. This taking over the world via the internet seems to be proving more difficult than I had imagined. I am running into too many plot holes.

Back to your reguallarly scheduled discussion.

Igor did you say the name on the brain was Abby Normal? :doh1:

Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in

Five seconds away from the Tetons and Yellowstone

Profile Quote
ToshoftheWuffingas
Posted: Wed 19 Nov , 2008 7:07 pm
Filthy darwinian hobbit

The UK has 646 Members of Parliament for around a population of around 60 million. My MP represents something like 100,000 people. (Can't be faffed to look it up exactly) So there is room for some expansion over the number of Representatives that you have. The Chamber in which our MP's meet and debate is also deliberately made too small for the numbers. On most occasions, the Chamber is not very full. On important occasions it is packed to the rafters.
A lot of the work of democratic representatives is spent in smaller committees and in researching and responding to their electors (or at least it should be) as much as it in debate and voting on bills.
So I would think there is room for some expansion but the higher figures mentioned remove any chance of human interaction. What would happen is that inner cabals would conduct the real business and would find a way of buying the votes of the lesser representatives. Much like everywhere at present I suppose but likely enough to quench any enthusiasm for such a drastic change.
There are better ways for smaller parties to find a voice but the stumbling block is always the parties in power. The only way is for the smaller parties to gain enough votes to get power in the traditional way.
And then of course they will be equally as unwilling to dilute their power. :)

[ img ]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos

Norwich Beer Festival 2009

Profile Quote
Rebecca
Posted: Wed 19 Nov , 2008 7:17 pm

If you guys want I can attempt to put the misplaced posts back. It might make the conversation even more disjointed, though. Let me know and I can try! :)

[ img ]

Profile Quote
TheEllipticalDisillusion
Posted: Wed 19 Nov , 2008 7:34 pm
Insolent Pup

Don't bother, Rebecca.

Tosh, you're right that America does have some wiggle room with the number of representatives. I think a small increase might work at least to test the waters.
Quote:
Having more people won't affect the speed at which a good proposal gets through. Only the poor ones. IN THEORY, of course.
No, because what 100 persons views as a good proposal, 100 persons view as a bad proposal. A lot of ideas work IN THEORY. It doesn't make them good.

The 11/3 Project

Profile Quote
Onizuka Eikichi
Posted: Wed 19 Nov , 2008 7:43 pm

Don't bother, Rebecca.

Tosh, you're right that America does have some wiggle room with the number of representatives. I think a small increase might work at least to test the waters.
Quote:
Having more people won't affect the speed at which a good proposal gets through. Only the poor ones. IN THEORY, of course.
No, because what 100 persons views as a good proposal, 100 persons view as a bad proposal. A lot of ideas work IN THEORY. It doesn't make them good.
Right. And that is precisely the way it works now. Adding more people to the body won't change the fact that some think this way and some think that way. Instead of 217 vs 218 you'd have 5,050 vs 5,049. But that might be over simplifying. Sometimes there are more than 2 sides to an issue - which is precisely the reason why I think more reps would be a good idea - to make sure opinion c and d also have adequate representation.

Edit: as others have stated, it doesn't necessarily need to be 10,000+ reps - that's just the number that's been floating around so that's the one I have been using. An increase to 1,000 may be sufficient. I don't know. All I do know is that an increase of some degree makes sense.

冬ながら
空より花の
散り来るは
雲のあなたに
春にやあるらん

Profile Quote
TheEllipticalDisillusion
Posted: Wed 19 Nov , 2008 10:03 pm
Insolent Pup

Quote:
Sometimes there are more than 2 sides to an issue - which is precisely the reason why I think more reps would be a good idea - to make sure opinion c and d also have adequate representation.
More opinions may lead to better bills. We currently have 435 opinions and we get some good and some bad bills. Increasing it to 10k offers no guarantee that more opinions will lead to agreement any more efficiently.

The increase doesn't have to be 10k, if it was 1k, the situation would be somewhat similar: slower than today, but faster than 10k.

Increasing the numbers of reps should be done slowly. Let's 50 more, then evaluate how the House is working.

The 11/3 Project

Profile Quote
ToshoftheWuffingas
Posted: Wed 19 Nov , 2008 10:12 pm
Filthy darwinian hobbit

Just a gloss on the one representative per 100,000 population. A month or so back I sent an e-mail to my MP on a local matter. I had a reply from him via his Blackberry within an hour that addressed the matter at some length and also showed that he knew me and my former employment. Now I'm not saying he knows all his constituents that well but our paths haven't crossed that often. He knows his community pretty well.

[ img ]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos

Norwich Beer Festival 2009

Profile Quote
Onizuka Eikichi
Posted: Wed 19 Nov , 2008 10:23 pm

ToshoftheWuffingas wrote:
Just a gloss on the one representative per 100,000 population. A month or so back I sent an e-mail to my MP on a local matter. I had a reply from him via his Blackberry within an hour that addressed the matter at some length and also showed that he knew me and my former employment. Now I'm not saying he knows all his constituents that well but our paths haven't crossed that often. He knows his community pretty well.
There's that technology I was talking about. It's amazing how quickly and easily people can get information around these days. Anywhere. Anytime. :)

So I guess that settles it, TED. We can agree, at the very least, that *an* increase in the number of seats is warranted. How much of an increase: who's to say? :)

冬ながら
空より花の
散り来るは
雲のあなたに
春にやあるらん

Profile Quote
TheEllipticalDisillusion
Posted: Wed 19 Nov , 2008 11:24 pm
Insolent Pup

It does settle it. Disagreeing folks can usually find some common ground to meet on.

The 11/3 Project

Profile Quote
Holbytla
Posted: Wed 19 Nov , 2008 11:43 pm
Grumpy cuz I can be

I am curious to what the perceived outcome is for allotting more seats. I realize people feel they would be better represented, but I guess I am asking what the overall outcome would be. Would the House be more fractured? With partisan politics as the rule of the day, would this just ensure a larger old boy network? Would this actually address any issues people have with Congress? Would there just be the same problems spread amongst more people? Do people feel the proportional split would be any different and is this a measure to foster an atmosphere for third parties to become better involved?

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 4 of 5  [ 81 posts ]
Return to “The Symposium” | Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 5 »
Jump to: