The Last Homely Site on the Web

SAD

Post Reply   Page 2 of 2  [ 32 posts ]
Jump to page « 1 2
Estel
Post subject: Re: SAD
Posted: Tue 25 Nov , 2008 6:42 pm
Pure Kitsch Flavor

Try looking up the term "SAD Lamp" on google instead - you can find the equivelent :)

I've always wanted one of those. Steve can wake up just fine in pure darkness, but not me - I need the light. When we lived in Burford it was great because two of the three windows in our bedroom faced east and our bed faced those two windows. I used to wake up quite naturally at 7am with the glare of the sun. Now our only bedroom window faces west, plus the sun comes up from behind the rock, so we don't get really good light in our bedroom until about 11am in winter.

Profile Quote
Dave_LF
Posted: Tue 25 Nov , 2008 8:01 pm
You are hearing me talk

Every year there is a period of about 45 days (which should be beginning any time now) when the sun rises after I get to work in the morning and sets before I leave. There aren't really any windows in my office, so that means I only see sunlight on weekends. I don't get SAD, but it can be pretty depressing in the non-medical sense.

Profile Quote
aulini
Posted: Thu 27 Nov , 2008 9:41 pm

That period is a lot longer than 45 days in my case, and already started a month ago or so :P
It is indeed a bit depressing. Thankfully I have large nice windows at work though! Biking to work doesn't give me any sunlight, but at least I get some fresh air and that helps a bit.

Common sense isn't

Profile Quote
laureanna
Posted: Fri 28 Nov , 2008 4:52 am
Triathlete

Is there a chance you could flex your time a little, so that you are commuting at least in one direction during daylight hours? I tend to shift to later in the morning arrival, so it's during the day, then bike home at night.

Well, I'm back.

Profile Quote
aulini
Posted: Fri 28 Nov , 2008 6:57 am

That's a nice plan, but doesn't really fit my personality! I'm a "get started, get it over with" kind of person. My wife and kids like to have me home as early as possible also :)

Common sense isn't

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Tue 30 Dec , 2008 4:34 am
The Grey Amaretto as Supermega-awesome Proud Heretic Girl

*bump*

So where did any of you order your full spectrum lamps? (I'm talking about a lamp, not the alarm clock thing, which I think is cool, but I think I need the lamp instead.)

??

This funk has lasted longer than can be explained away by hormones or whatever, so I'm beginning to wonder if I might have a bit of SAD.

Lali

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Crucifer
Posted: Tue 30 Dec , 2008 2:42 pm
A song outlasts a dynasty.

I got the alarm clock myself, and it made a huge difference.

Sleep is a death; Oh, make me try by sleeping what it is to die.

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Tue 30 Dec , 2008 2:56 pm

I think the lamp is harder to find in the US, and I'm not sure it's the right tool for the job, if that makes sense. Maybe it is?

Lali

[ img ]

Profile Quote
laureanna
Posted: Tue 30 Dec , 2008 3:02 pm
Triathlete

In Alaska, it was pretty clear to me that my symptoms were lack-of-light related, but my daughter's were not a clear cut. Now it turns out she'd had asthma all along, but we didn't know it was asthma. She was lethargic, couldn't get enough sleep, got what looked like the flu about three times each winter, pneumonia every so often, and generally had a tough time of it. She still gets that, living in California. So she finally found out it's that she's allergic to everything that pollinates, plus dust mites, but she doesn't get the typical sneezing and itchy eyes. She just loses lung capacity.

So do look into other causes, that might be adding to your problems.

Well, I'm back.

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Tue 30 Dec , 2008 3:08 pm

Thanks. Yeah, I already know I have asthma and allergies. :) And they can make me very tired and all of that.

This year has been hard for me emotionally anyway, but, normally, I can shake things after a while. I can't quite kick this funk and have just had a general sense of sadness underlying everything. I figure trying some light therapy couldn't hurt. It may not fix the problem, but neither will it harm it. And I'd rather try that than drugs.

Lali

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Tue 30 Dec , 2008 3:08 pm
Aspiring to heresy

I haven't got the lamp yet - I printed off the link and gave it to the owner of my local health food shop, and asked him to look for it. Come to think of it, I should go and find out if he found anything...

[ img ]

Melkor and Ungoliant in need of some relationship counselling.

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Posted: Tue 30 Dec , 2008 3:25 pm

We bought a full spectrum lamp at Sam's one time. It's just a desk lamp, not one of those in your face panel thingys. I have it hooked up to a mechanical timer in my bedroom so that it goes off a minute before the alarm clock does. Just the light blinking on wakes me up, and then I leave it on for my husband to get used to the "daylight" since he gets up about 20 minutes after I do. It's been helping him wake up easier, I think.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 2 of 2  [ 32 posts ]
Return to “The Symposium” | Jump to page « 1 2
Jump to: