The Last Homely Site on the Web

The term is "ad hominem"

Locked   Page 10 of 11  [ 213 posts ]
Jump to page « 17 8 9 10 11 »
TheEllipticalDisillusion
Post subject: Re: The term is "ad hominem"
Posted: Thu 27 Nov , 2008 6:47 pm
Insolent Pup

Did he eat Jewish babies while doing it?

You realize that sf's position is simply the opposite of yours. He can state his case, while you can and did state yours. Is there a misunderstanding here?

The 11/3 Project

Alatar
Posted: Thu 27 Nov , 2008 7:41 pm
of Vinyamar

I don't remember you having a deep discussion with anyone else about it while he was gone.

[ img ]
These are my friends, see how they glisten...

The Watcher
Posted: Thu 27 Nov , 2008 8:53 pm
Same as it ever was

I am requesting that this thread get considered to be locked, or at least moved into the bikeracks. It is not productive at all.

Scientists tell us that the fastest animal on earth, with a top speed of 120 miles per second, is a cow that has been dropped from a helicopter.

Never under any circumstances take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

- Dave Barry

Glaciers melting in the dead of night and the superstars sucked into the supermassive...
Supermassive Black Hole.

- Muse

[ img ]

halplm
Posted: Thu 27 Nov , 2008 8:59 pm
b77 whipping boy

he never made his case, TED. He only attacked me. He didn't even argue against my case. He dodged the issue and made ad hominem arguments every single post, or used other tactics to change the subject.

TW, there's no reason this thread should be locked or moved. You can ignore it if you don't like it.

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

TheEllipticalDisillusion
Posted: Thu 27 Nov , 2008 9:23 pm
Insolent Pup

I agree with the 'you can ignore it if you don't like it'. I ignore plenty of threads because I have no interest in them.

hal, I read the posts. sf stated his case, you stated yours.

The 11/3 Project

Eruname
Posted: Thu 27 Nov , 2008 10:39 pm
Islanded in a Stream of Stars

halplm wrote:
You can ignore it if you don't like it.
You've got to be effing kidding me. You, out of all people, don't have much business advising others to ignore something they don't like as it's something you've refused to do even after loads of people have asked you to do so.

Abandon this fleeting world
abandon yourself.
Then the moon and flowers
will guide you along the way.

-Ryokan

http://wanderingthroughmiddleearth.blogspot.com/

TheEllipticalDisillusion
Posted: Thu 27 Nov , 2008 11:51 pm
Insolent Pup

I think that the discussion in this thread is not infringing on other people's ability to post. If what hal is saying bothers someone else, don't bother opening this thread.

The 11/3 Project

Cenedril_Gildinaur
Posted: Fri 28 Nov , 2008 4:50 am

Erunáme wrote:
halplm wrote:
You can ignore it if you don't like it.
You've got to be effing kidding me. You, out of all people, don't have much business advising others to ignore something they don't like as it's something you've refused to do even after loads of people have asked you to do so.
It's the advice that is given to those who complain of abuse, so it's valid advice to return to those who think it solves everything.

It is a myth that coercion is necessary in order to force people to get along together, but it is a persistent myth because it feeds a desire many people have. That desire is to be able to justify hurting people who have done nothing other than offend them in some way.

Last edited by Cenedril_Gildinaur on Tue Feb 30, 2026 13:61 am; edited 426 times in total

Eruname
Posted: Fri 28 Nov , 2008 4:45 pm
Islanded in a Stream of Stars

Cenedril_Gildinaur wrote:
It's the advice that is given to those who complain of abuse,
No, it's not.

Abandon this fleeting world
abandon yourself.
Then the moon and flowers
will guide you along the way.

-Ryokan

http://wanderingthroughmiddleearth.blogspot.com/

sauronsfinger
Posted: Fri 28 Nov , 2008 5:20 pm

If one sees themselves as the perpetual victim who is misunderestood by the larger world to the point where they have to retreat into a world of their own construct, where the rules are different, reality is different, and how they percieve both themselves and everyone else is different... then there is very little anyone who does not subscribe to that mentality can do to change it.

The constant refrain becomes a variation of several continual complaints.....
-- you do not listen to me
-- you do not understand my point
-- you do not like me
-- you like so-and-so better
-- you are attacking me
-- you are being mean to me
-- you don't respect me or my opinion
-- you are trying to make me like you
-- you just don't accept me for who I really are

Notice that everything is the other persons fault. Its all the fault of the other person in their attitude, their perception, their motivations, their actions, and their approach. The individual who has this unique mindset of the perpetual victim stnds apart and above it all and has convinced themself that they are blameless, faultless and have done nothing wrong at all. Everyone is indeed out of step but them.

The more this is pointed out to such a perpetual victim, the more resistance grows and becomes like cement. In fact, criticism from others only serves to perpetuate the feeling of victimhood and the desire to retreat deeper into their own world where only they are understood by themself.

Persons who are more vocal in their criticism are singled out for obsessive opposition bordering on the unhealthy. They go on a list of persons to be despised and hated and opposed at all costs no matter how silly such vendettas make them look.

Of course, the worst transgression of them all is to point out the reality of this behavior. That puts you in a whole new category for derision and anger coming your way.

Victimhood is not healthy. Victimhood combined with obsession is even worse.

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs. - John Rogers

Cenedril_Gildinaur
Posted: Fri 28 Nov , 2008 8:53 pm

Erunáme wrote:
It's the advice that is given to those who complain of abuse,
No, it's not.
Yes, it is. Read the advice given to those who make complaints about abuse.

If you are abused, you have three options. You the option of saying "rangers, look at this" at which point you are told to ignore the person. You have the option of confronting the abuser at which time you are creating a board disturbance. Or you can let the abuser spoil the board by dishing about abuse knowing he'll never get called on it.

It is a myth that coercion is necessary in order to force people to get along together, but it is a persistent myth because it feeds a desire many people have. That desire is to be able to justify hurting people who have done nothing other than offend them in some way.

Last edited by Cenedril_Gildinaur on Tue Feb 30, 2026 13:61 am; edited 426 times in total

Holbytla
Posted: Fri 28 Nov , 2008 9:00 pm
Grumpy cuz I can be

You know what?
I'll make it painfully plain.
It takes at least two assholes to have a bitchfest.
Protip: Don't be one of the two assholes.

[ img ]

Cenedril_Gildinaur
Posted: Fri 28 Nov , 2008 9:04 pm

See Eru, Holbytla proved my point.

If one is abused, and responds by complaining to the rangers, the one abused is "one of the two assholes."

If one is abused, and responds by confronting the abuser, the one abused is "one of the two assholes."

The advice if you are subject to abuse is "don't do a thing."

Thank you Holby, your intervention was quite timely.

TheEllipticalDisillusion
Posted: Fri 28 Nov , 2008 9:08 pm
Insolent Pup

It usually takes two assholes to cause a bitchfest, though one person could be an asshole, and the other person, tired of hearing it, finally gives it back--hence the bitchfest.

A perpetual victim generally needs Miracle Grow. Sprinkle some on your loofa or washcloth each morning while you shower. In 5-7 days you should feel your skin thickening. This is the remedy to debating in a debate forum.

I was going to say something about victimhood and health risks, but sf put it perfectly. I live with a perpetual victim--man is she an annoying cunt.

CG, sometimes, like a baby bird, you need to simply fly instead of waiting for a wing.

Last edited by TheEllipticalDisillusion on Fri 28 Nov , 2008 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The 11/3 Project

sauronsfinger
Posted: Fri 28 Nov , 2008 9:08 pm

Two Assholes would be a wonderful name for a professional wrestling tagteam who enjoy doubling up on a single opponent.

Hobly - you should submit that to the WWF.

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs. - John Rogers

TheEllipticalDisillusion
Posted: Fri 28 Nov , 2008 9:09 pm
Insolent Pup

WWF had a tag team like that in the late nineties--The Dudley Boys.

The 11/3 Project

sauronsfinger
Posted: Fri 28 Nov , 2008 9:10 pm

and if anyone cares to be serious ... I am happy to try to repair this rent in the Bike Racks.... or this silliness can go on to no good purpose.

Cenedril_Gildinaur
Posted: Fri 28 Nov , 2008 9:14 pm

TheEllipticalDisillusion wrote:
CG, sometimes, like a baby bird, you need to simply fly instead of waiting for a wing.
Simply flying resulted in a suspension.

yovargas
Posted: Fri 28 Nov , 2008 9:20 pm

How about "don't do something that annoys everybody"?

Cenedril_Gildinaur
Posted: Fri 28 Nov , 2008 9:31 pm

yovargas wrote:
How about "don't do something that annoys everybody"?
Other than "ignore it do nothing don't do a thing because if you do anything it will disrupt the board" do you recommend?

Display: Sort by: Direction:
Locked   Page 10 of 11  [ 213 posts ]
Return to “The Symposium” | Jump to page « 17 8 9 10 11 »
Jump to: