board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

The term is "ad hominem"

Locked   Page 11 of 11  [ 213 posts ]
Jump to page « 17 8 9 10 11
yovargas
Post subject: Re: The term is "ad hominem"
Posted: Fri 28 Nov , 2008 9:43 pm

PMs might do all of you a great deal of wonder. You can bitch and moan and bicker and fight to your hearts content without having to bother me with it.

ToshoftheWuffingas
Posted: Fri 28 Nov , 2008 9:56 pm
Filthy darwinian hobbit

Actually I think the PM idea fascinating. I am sure there would be a very different dynamic in the political discussions between these two if there were no observers. Much of what appears pathetic to me from both sides is the attempt to 'win' in front of spectators. Naturally one cannot 'win' arguments like this. Political discourse works by bringing ideas up for analysis, testing the ethics, practicality, history and potential benefits, preferably with a respectful and keen minded opponent rather than a fellow believer. It matters not a jot that either side embraces the beliefs of the other, merely that both sets of ideas benefit from a cool spotlight played on them. And both protagonists broaden their minds.

Ah well. :neutral:

[ img ]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos

Norwich Beer Festival 2009

Cenedril_Gildinaur
Posted: Fri 28 Nov , 2008 9:58 pm

That's an interesting suggestion. Let's see where it led me before.
sauronsfinger wrote:
Do not PM me.

I am keeping a copy of this request.

If you do so again, I will report this request and request your PM abilities be reviewed.
Yes, I'm sharing a PM with the board.

It is a myth that coercion is necessary in order to force people to get along together, but it is a persistent myth because it feeds a desire many people have. That desire is to be able to justify hurting people who have done nothing other than offend them in some way.

Last edited by Cenedril_Gildinaur on Tue Feb 30, 2026 13:61 am; edited 426 times in total

Eruname
Posted: Fri 28 Nov , 2008 9:59 pm
Islanded in a Stream of Stars

CG, you haven't been abused. It's a spurious argument you keep trying to present that people are not buying.

Abandon this fleeting world
abandon yourself.
Then the moon and flowers
will guide you along the way.

-Ryokan

http://wanderingthroughmiddleearth.blogspot.com/

Cenedril_Gildinaur
Posted: Fri 28 Nov , 2008 10:02 pm

That's only your opinion.

As one who is subjected to a constant stream of attacks but is blamed every time he responds by retaliation or reporting to the rangers, it's not a very good opinion.

It is a myth that coercion is necessary in order to force people to get along together, but it is a persistent myth because it feeds a desire many people have. That desire is to be able to justify hurting people who have done nothing other than offend them in some way.

Last edited by Cenedril_Gildinaur on Tue Feb 30, 2026 13:61 am; edited 426 times in total

sauronsfinger
Posted: Fri 28 Nov , 2008 10:06 pm

Eruname - I like your opinion. It is always worth reading.

I think the best opinion I have heard in some weeks came from Yovargas. In all this talk about appeals from suspensions, he said just shut up and take your punishment like a man. Truer words were never spoken.

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs. - John Rogers

yovargas
Posted: Fri 28 Nov , 2008 10:35 pm

I was actually thinking about PMing Rangers, not the guy who you should never speak to.

Cenedril_Gildinaur
Posted: Fri 28 Nov , 2008 10:39 pm

Every time I contact a ranger, they say I'm at fault for not ignoring it.

sauronsfinger
Posted: Fri 28 Nov , 2008 10:41 pm

Yovargas ... as this thread was created by someone else with myself as the central villianous character , I do have an interest in posting here. At least that is what I thought I was doing. And still do. I sat for a week while I was attacked each and everyday both in name and by implication --- and thats fine with me --- I can take the heat -- no problem there. But I did wait the week and took my punishment like a man just you said should be done --- so now I do want to post here.

That is my reason for being here.

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs. - John Rogers

yovargas
Posted: Fri 28 Nov , 2008 10:54 pm

Cenedril_Gildinaur wrote:
Every time I contact a ranger, they say I'm at fault for not ignoring it.
I sincerely doubt that's their wording. But regardless, it's what I've done and it's worked really really really really well for me.

Eruname
Posted: Fri 28 Nov , 2008 11:12 pm
Islanded in a Stream of Stars

Cenedril_Gildinaur wrote:
That's only your opinion.

As one who is subjected to a constant stream of attacks but is blamed every time he responds by retaliation or reporting to the rangers, it's not a very good opinion.
I didn't realise opinions were graded.

You've not been subjected to a constant stream of attacks either. You've been served exactly what you dish out and that's why nobody's paying attention to you shouting wolf.

And with that, I'm going to cease any discussion about this subject with you as it's my opinion you are deluded about your victimhood and it isn't worth my time and effort to convince you of something you will never be convinced of.

Abandon this fleeting world
abandon yourself.
Then the moon and flowers
will guide you along the way.

-Ryokan

http://wanderingthroughmiddleearth.blogspot.com/

halplm
Posted: Sat 29 Nov , 2008 1:23 pm
b77 whipping boy

I changed my mind. TW is right, this thread is pointless. It should be locked, as the original topic has been ignored for some time... if it was ever actually taken seriously.

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

Rebecca
Posted: Sat 29 Nov , 2008 2:22 pm

I'm sorry that you don't feel you were taken seriously.

I'll lock this thread for you now, as you requested.

[ img ]

Display: Sort by: Direction:
Locked   Page 11 of 11  [ 213 posts ]
Return to “The Symposium” | Jump to page « 17 8 9 10 11
Jump to: