The Last Homely Site on the Web

Debate Guidelines for Debating in the Debate Forum

Post Reply   Page 3 of 3  [ 47 posts ]
Jump to page « 1 2 3
halplm
Post subject: Re: Debate Guidelines for Debating in the Debate Forum
Posted: Wed 26 Nov , 2008 7:49 pm
b77 whipping boy

what... attacks...? You say they're there, show me. Stop accusing me of something I do not do unless you can prove it.

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

Profile Quote
ToshoftheWuffingas
Posted: Wed 26 Nov , 2008 7:59 pm
Filthy darwinian hobbit

I do not wish to defend sf. He is a rough tough arguer who doesn't like to let go. Sometimes he is reasonable, sometimes he isn't. What I say is you can't poke him in insulting terms and act surprised when he takes umbrage. If you want to make flippant attacks then you have to be able to take the consequences and not run to others to fight your Internet battles for you.
I remember a year or so back when you were agitated about something or other you held the belief that we needed no rules or Charter. Why the change?
And yes you have indeed attacked sf and yes, you have done so to the fatigue of the rest of us. Now you are jumping on the dispute between sf and Cenedril trying to make that insoluble. We can only come to the conclusion that you do so for your own revenge and bugger the rest of us.

[ img ]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos

Norwich Beer Festival 2009

Profile Quote
halplm
Posted: Wed 26 Nov , 2008 8:03 pm
b77 whipping boy

the charter has been used against me time and time again, both to take action, and to avoid taking action on my behalf. It is used as a weapon against me, why should I not be able to use it to defend myself.

Show me the evidence of attacks on SF, which are apparently "even more underhanded" than his on me.

Show me insulting terms I have "poked" him with. Back up your claims, or I will continue to say they are completely bogus. You cannot accuse me of these things without evidence.

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

Profile Quote
sauronsfinger
Posted: Wed 26 Nov , 2008 8:59 pm

I have looked over the suggestions and many links from TED -- fine job and I think they will be useful.

It is worth noting to everyone on this board that the List of Logical Fallacies is as TED pointed out, not official anywhere, varies a great deal from site to site in definition and in number, and was made for constructing arguments dependent on formal Logic.

Even in formal collegiate debate, which I did for two years, they are not universally subscribed to and can be ignored or used as needed. Some judges observe them, others do not and ignore them.

And of course, as many have said already, this is NOT formal debate by any means.

It should also be pointed out that there are purely legitimate and proper uses for many of these logical fallacies. Ad Hominem is one of them. In its right place and proper useage, it is right and proper to use. The links TED provided said this if anyone actually read them.

Glad to be back.

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs. - John Rogers

Profile Quote
TheEllipticalDisillusion
Posted: Wed 26 Nov , 2008 10:09 pm
Insolent Pup

To get this back on topic: does anyone have concrete suggestions for this guide? Am I missing something, or is something not fully explained? If there are no complaints about the guide, then I am going to start a new clean topic for the guide and label this one as the discussion companion.

Any suggestions about punishments or other actions, should be taken up by a committee because the purview of this guide is not to substitute charter amendments.

Thank you.

ETA: Thank you for the feedback, sf.

The 11/3 Project

Profile Quote
BrianIsSmilingAtYou
Posted: Tue 02 Dec , 2008 1:30 am

TheEllipticalDisillusion wrote:
To get this back on topic: does anyone have concrete suggestions for this guide? Am I missing something, or is something not fully explained? If there are no complaints about the guide, then I am going to start a new clean topic for the guide and label this one as the discussion companion.

Any suggestions about punishments or other actions, should be taken up by a committee because the purview of this guide is not to substitute charter amendments.

Thank you.

ETA: Thank you for the feedback, sf.
I would want to clarify the following:
Quote:
2. It is the sole responsibility of the debater to defend any claims made by that debater. If I make a factual claim about science, the burden of proving my claim is my own.
Even if the "burden" of proof lies with the original debater, any person can defend (or attack) the claim, since there is nothing stopping anyone from participating or stepping in on either side of the debate.

The way that it is worded, it makes it sound like no one else is permitted to step in.

BrianIs :) AtYou

[ img ]

My niece, Humera, under a pumpkin leaf!

Profile Quote
TheEllipticalDisillusion
Posted: Tue 02 Dec , 2008 1:39 am
Insolent Pup

Good catch, Brian. I shall make the change.

The 11/3 Project

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 3 of 3  [ 47 posts ]
Return to “The Symposium” | Jump to page « 1 2 3
Jump to: