board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

Why are Europeans thinner (on average) than Americans?

Post Reply   Page 1 of 5  [ 82 posts ]
Jump to page 1 2 3 4 5 »
LalaithUrwen
Post subject: Why are Europeans thinner (on average) than Americans?
Posted: Fri 21 Nov , 2008 4:48 am
The Grey Amaretto as Supermega-awesome Proud Heretic Girl

Is it lifestyle? Is it what you eat (or don't eat)? Are Canadians thinner than Americans, on average?

If you think it's lifestyle, could you elaborate what you mean (or do!) exactly? More walking?

If you think it's diet, please explain. For example, do you eat small meals throughout the day? Eat dinner at 8pm? (For some reason, I was always told this was a "European thing.") More veggies? More wine? If you drink alcohol regularly, how does this figure into a low calorie diet?

Or is this whole thing a myth? (I don't think it is.)

I know I could go look this up somewhere, but I'm more interested in hearing from non-Americans themselves. :)

Lali

[ img ]

Profile Quote
vison
Post subject: Re: Why are Europeans thinner (on average) than Americans?
Posted: Fri 21 Nov , 2008 5:49 am
Best friends forever

I'm a non-American and I'm fat. :( So how does that fit your theory? :scratch:

Or, do you have a theory? :scratch:

I do notice, no offense intended, that I see more fat people when I'm in the US. I mean, more fat people in proportion to the rest of the people I see, not just more fat people. I mean, the US has 10 times more people than Canada. Bellingham's Walmart makes me want to go out and starve, in case I ever wind up looking like pretty well all the people who shop there . . .

I don't know. I guess maybe Europeans walk more and don't eat so much junk food. Maybe.

Living on Earth is expensive,
but it does include a free trip
around the sun every year.

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Posted: Fri 21 Nov , 2008 5:53 am
I've cried a thousand oceans, and I would cry a thousand more if that's what it takes to sail you home.

Portion sizes. You get tons of food here and it's pretty cheap, I think.

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Fri 21 Nov , 2008 7:00 am
Aspiring to heresy

I'm reading "In Defense of Food" by Michael Pollak - you should too. It'll answer some of your questions.

I'll be more specific when I wake up.

[ img ]

Melkor and Ungoliant in need of some relationship counselling.

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Posted: Fri 21 Nov , 2008 7:12 am
I've cried a thousand oceans, and I would cry a thousand more if that's what it takes to sail you home.

Think I seen that guy promoting it on some Canadian networks! Definitely looked interesting. If I read books, that would be one of them. :P Working on it, heh.

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
Alatar
Posted: Fri 21 Nov , 2008 10:04 am
of Vinyamar

E* is right. The portion sizes in US restaurants are ludicrous. As an example, a McDonalds meal here is maybe half the size of the US counterpart. The largest steak you'll get in a restaurant would be 14oz. And I won't even go into your breakfast menus!

Note to Southerners. Fried Chicken and gravy in not a breakfast food!

[ img ]
These are my friends, see how they glisten...

Profile Quote
Estel
Posted: Fri 21 Nov , 2008 10:15 am
Pure Kitsch Flavor

Depends. Portion sizes are much smaller, and walking around is easier. However, Americans seem to have this myth that Europeans are smaller by from ethnic diets, or because they're just so special. Hence the reason why we see so many books - the french diet, the mediterranean diet, etc etc. In fact, when I typed in Mediterranean in google just now to check my spelling, the very first thing mentioned was the mediterranean diet.

It wasn't until I actually moved over here that I found out that there were big problems with things like anorexia, bulimia, dangerous diet pills, etc etc. In fact, to be very honest, I hear more about those types of problems over here than I ever did in America. At first I thought it was just because they were more open about talking about it over here, but in listening to the numbers/statistics as well.... I do think that those problems are worse over here.

I think it might be attitude as well. In Florida, if you go to the beach, you will get looked at and judged. Here in Gib and across the border as well, there are men and women of every size walking around in their bathing suits, and even if they might not have the body that would normally carry off such a small amount of clothing, they have the attitude that does. It's not just attitude about themselves either, but also about the people around them. Steve and I were having a full on conversation with some people that live in our building earlier this summer. We were all down at the pool, all with different types of bodies and all wearing swim suits or bikinis. Not once in the conversation did any of the people look over the body of any other with anything other than a normal glance. That was actually incredibly empowering.

Anyway, that kind of attitude can change the perception of the person looking. I've employed it myself a few times ;)

Profile Quote
ToshoftheWuffingas
Posted: Fri 21 Nov , 2008 11:53 am
Filthy darwinian hobbit

Hah! I actually had a man from the government come round my house yesterday to quiz and weigh me. And he fitted me with a tracking device to wear. :Q
Where do I get my tin foil hat?
We're on a national survey on health and lifestyles (so he said). and we are wearing movement analysis monitors (so he said). The bugger of it was my wife found out my weight! Shit! I'll be on short rations now till Christmas. :( :doh1:
I think portion size is part of it. I'm big because I always ate large meals and was proud of it. It's very difficult to adjust the stomach to eating smaller masses of food. My Japanese teacher said that she was not used to such large portions in the UK. Another is the hidden extras in commercially prepared food, salts sugars and fats. Manufacturers find it cheap to add these things and they have their effects. I know my daughter when she worked for 6 weeks in Hollywood said that all American food tasted as if it had sugar added to it.

[ img ]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos

Norwich Beer Festival 2009

Profile Quote
Nienor SharkAttack
Posted: Fri 21 Nov , 2008 12:16 pm

Watched the movie Supersize me? :whistle:

It should be noted that the Europeans are catching up with the Americans. Not to mention China. But spread of American habits is definitely playing some (big?) part in that.

Made a quick search, just to have something useful to contribute here. :roll: :P
Quote:
In Europe, people make 33 percent of their trips by foot or bicycle, compared with just 9.4 percent of Americans' trips.
http://www.kvsmith.com/1/2006/04/why_americans_a.html

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Estel
Posted: Fri 21 Nov , 2008 1:56 pm
Pure Kitsch Flavor

Quote:
In Europe, people make 33 percent of their trips by foot or bicycle, compared with just 9.4 percent of Americans' trips.

This isn't really a fair comparison though, to be honest. No matter where I've lived in Europe, it's been easy to get almost anywhere I want to go by walking. In the U.S., the only time it was realistically possible to bike or walk everywhere was when I lived in cities. When I was in a small towns - either in Texas or Wisconsin - it was much more difficult. In Wisconsin I would often walk back from school, about two miles from my home, but to do that up and down hills with groceries and no sidewalks? No - I wouldn't have done that. Plus, the grocery store was a small town one that only supplied the basics. The closest large grocery store was 17 miles away. My job was either five miles using a busy highway, or three miles hike through the woods. I did the hike in summer, but in winter, no. As for the highway - it was known for being dangerous for people biking or walking. I did do it when I had to, but usually I relied on my parents for rides. My nearest movie place was a half an hour drive away. Nearest coffee shop? 45 minutes drive. Nearest shopping mall? 1 hour, 15 minutes drive.

As for Texas - I literally lived on the foods I could get from the gas stations when I lived on North Padre Island. The nearest grocery store was a two and a half hour bike ride away on very busy roads including a long bridge with not much room for bikes on the shoulder. It just wasn't practical. I road my bike to work and back when I was there, but leaving the island with it? No. That was the one time in my life when I've actually wanted to own a car.

America is big and everything is quite spread out. Take, for instance, the difference between my and Steve's attitude when it comes to driving somewhere. When we lived in Holland we did a trip out to some monkey place near the border with Germany. The total driving for the day was something around 4-6 hours. Steve was exhausted by the time we got home and said he didn't like doing "long trips" like that. For me, as an American, having to drive 2 to 3 hours to get somewhere.... it's nothing. When the average time it takes to get anywhere by driving is 20 minutes or more, that means you would be doing, at minimum, an hour of walking or 40 minutes biking. That may not sound like much, but when you add that onto working an eight hour working day, plus time for meals, hanging out with family and friends, etc. Well, would you take 2 hours out of your day walking somewhere and carrying something back, plus whatever time you spend at the place you've walked to, when you've already worked all day? Add on to that, people usually do their trips on the way home from work in the U.S. Would you drive all the way home from work only to turn around and walk halfway back to do your grocery shopping? My mom worked 23 miles from home - a very short commute - and the large grocery store was something she literally had to drive past on her way home. It was closer to her work than to home, so of course, she made it part of her trip.

The comparisons between walking and biking for Europeans vs Americans simply isn't applicable. Differences in distances, the complete difference in infrastructure, etc etc. It's like comparing apples and asparagus.

Profile Quote
Nienor SharkAttack
Posted: Fri 21 Nov , 2008 2:32 pm

It may not be a fair comparison as such, but it can still be a part of an answer to Lali's title question. It's not to say that Americans are lazier than Europeans or anything (I know I would not be walking two hours to buy food!), but a country "not made for walking" is likely to have a negative impact on the average weight of a population where most people have cars. I also think one can add the effect of habit, that people who are used to drive "everywhere" often use the car also when there should be no need.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Dave_LF
Posted: Fri 21 Nov , 2008 2:56 pm
You are hearing me talk

How much pop (soda) do they drink over there?

Profile Quote
Crucifer
Posted: Fri 21 Nov , 2008 2:56 pm
A song outlasts a dynasty.

Quote:
The largest steak you'll get in a restaurant would be 14oz.
I don't know where you've been going, but the other day, I had a 28 oz fillet steak with cheese melt and chips.

Personally, I'm skinny because of a genetic disorder. :cool:

But it's true that portion sizes are generally smaller on the continent. Europeans tend to go for enough to taste and leave it at that, then move onto the next course.

Sleep is a death; Oh, make me try by sleeping what it is to die.

Profile Quote
aulini
Posted: Fri 21 Nov , 2008 3:13 pm

Like some posters already said, driving everywhere is my guess at the number one reason.
Myself, I get one hour of exercise a day just by commuting. By bike. :) Once I got used to biking to work, I just can't live without it. I actually quit my last job for that reason - I worked as a consultant and got stuck on a workplace too far away to bike to. As it happens, that workplace was Swedish car-manufacturer Volvo, and ... well, they're not actually doing too well right now. Lucky me!

Common sense isn't

Profile Quote
Rebecca
Posted: Fri 21 Nov , 2008 3:43 pm

I think some of it too is that most Americans spend a lot of time at work. So that means more fast food and/or prepared meals. It makes me think of that KFC commercials (One is the Bring Back Dinner ads) where they talk about taking time off as a family to sit down and enjoy dinner together as though it's some foreign concept. Because a tub of fried chicken is a healthy meal the whole family can enjoy. :roll: I think most commercials these days seem to be pushing the concept that no one has time to cook and it's such a horrible chore anyway, so you might as well just eat their food.

Not that I don't eat my fair share of prepared meals, but there's a lot of them that are extremely high in sodium and fat.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Nienor SharkAttack
Posted: Fri 21 Nov , 2008 4:07 pm

Rebecca wrote:
I think some of it too is that most Americans spend a lot of time at work. So that means more fast food and/or prepared meals.
But if you could get healthy food at work, that wouldn't be so much of a problem. (Apart from the fact that work-related stress and less time for exercise don't do your weight much good either.) I know there has been lots of campaigns to get good, healthy food into working places and canteens (and schools) here in Norway - in addition to chucking out all the junk food and soda machines and such - which has yielded good results.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Rebecca
Posted: Fri 21 Nov , 2008 4:13 pm

Nienor SharkAttack wrote:
Rebecca wrote:
I think some of it too is that most Americans spend a lot of time at work. So that means more fast food and/or prepared meals.
But if you could get healthy food at work, that wouldn't be so much of a problem. (Apart from the fact that work-related stress and less time for exercise don't do your weight much good either.) I know there has been lots of campaigns to get good, healthy food into working places and canteens (and schools) here in Norway - in addition to chucking out all the junk food and soda machines and such - which has yielded good results.
I've never worked anywhere that I didn't have to bring in my own food for lunch. I usually brought in leftovers at my last job, but I know my roommate brings in frozen meals or canned soup a lot.

But yes, offering healthier foods at schools and work would be good. I remember in middle school being on a kick where I would eat a bag of chips with a can of Hawaiin Punch for lunch. :sick: Even when I did eat the provided lunches, they were over processed and greasy.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Alatar
Posted: Fri 21 Nov , 2008 4:14 pm
of Vinyamar

Crucifer wrote:
I don't know where you've been going, but the other day, I had a 28 oz fillet steak with cheese melt and chips.
That was just 2 14oz steaks... ;) Greedy fecker.

[ img ]
These are my friends, see how they glisten...

Profile Quote
Feredir
Posted: Fri 21 Nov , 2008 4:22 pm

Alatar wrote:

Note to Southerners. Fried Chicken and gravy in not a breakfast food!
Alatar, those are fighting words! If I had more southern roots I'd be taking you to the bike racks right now :rage: .

Anyway, I've often wondered if this was fact or fiction.

freddy

Nienor SharkAttack
Posted: Fri 21 Nov , 2008 4:23 pm

Rebecca wrote:
But yes, offering healthier foods at schools and work would be good. I remember in middle school being on a kick where I would eat a bag of chips with a can of Hawaiin Punch for lunch. :sick: Even when I did eat the provided lunches, they were over processed and greasy.
At my old high school, soda machines were banned and water machines with free cold water came up instead. I think hardly anyone has drunk a drop of soda there ever since, everyone are bringing water bottles and filling them up. Cheaper and healthier, and you learn more when you aren't full of sugar. (In addition, people drinking soda are being looked down upon...) Point is, initiatives such as these work.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 5  [ 82 posts ]
Return to “The Symposium” | Jump to page 1 2 3 4 5 »
Jump to: