board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

Walmart worker trampled to death on Black Friday

Post Reply   Page 8 of 9  [ 164 posts ]
Jump to page « 15 6 7 8 9 »
sauronsfinger
Post subject: Re: Walmart worker trampled to death on Black Friday
Posted: Mon 01 Dec , 2008 11:50 pm

Why are not real world developments not permitted as good reason to advance a good cause? What is so evil about that?

The Triangle Shirtwaist Fire sparked laws against child labor and improved safety conditions for workers and spurred the labot and womens movements. What is wrong with that?

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs. - John Rogers

Profile Quote
Riverthalos
Posted: Tue 02 Dec , 2008 2:08 am
bioalchemist

Just out of curiosity, has there been a Black Friday in recent years when there wasn't a story about a fight breaking out or someone getting hurt/killed due to a sale frenzy? Because it seems like something like this happens every year and not just to workers. The stores really need to re-think their approach, I think.

I try to avoid shopping on Black Friday just because it's so crowded everywhere. In fact, I try to stay out of stores altogether for my holiday shopping - something about this season makes people bitchy and it really shows in stores. I prefer to do it online (and have it shipped to my parents' house so I don't have to deal with transporting presents for the fam and whatever strays we've picked up along the way).

"He attacks. And here I can kill him. But I don't. That's the answer to world peace, people."
-Stickles Shihan

Profile Quote
Holbytla
Posted: Tue 02 Dec , 2008 2:16 am
Grumpy cuz I can be

Hve you guys ever seen videos of Filene's Basement when they put their wedding dresses out for sale? :Q

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Riverthalos
Posted: Tue 02 Dec , 2008 2:23 am
bioalchemist

:Q
I am never, ever having a wedding. Married I'll do. Wedding? No way in hell.

"He attacks. And here I can kill him. But I don't. That's the answer to world peace, people."
-Stickles Shihan

Profile Quote
Rebecca
Posted: Tue 02 Dec , 2008 2:29 am

But trampling people to get a wedding dress just seems your style, River. :blackeye: :LMAO:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Onizuka Eikichi
Posted: Tue 02 Dec , 2008 2:38 am

People who do the "black friday" shopping thing are foolish in general. You can get EVEN SWEETER deals ALL YEAR ROUND if you're a savvy online shopper. Ebay for the win.

冬ながら
空より花の
散り来るは
雲のあなたに
春にやあるらん

Profile Quote
Riverthalos
Posted: Tue 02 Dec , 2008 2:38 am
bioalchemist

A wedding dress?

Pah.

Spiffy handlebar tape for my bicycle, OTOH... :help:

ETA: I'm a bit turned off on E-bay. Caveat emptor has bit me in the ass one too many times, though I did have a positive experience with bike parts on E-bay. I only do E-bay for stuff for me; for gifts I go with more reputable sources.

-Stickles Shihan

Profile Quote
TheEllipticalDisillusion
Posted: Tue 02 Dec , 2008 4:04 am
Insolent Pup

According to Daily Show, there were 2 other deaths on Black Friday. Does anyone know anything about the other two?

The 11/3 Project

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Posted: Tue 02 Dec , 2008 8:38 am
I've cried a thousand oceans, and I would cry a thousand more if that's what it takes to sail you home.

TED, I only heard about that here: http://dlisted.com/node/29501 Sounds like it was more a case of two people who already hated each other fighting over a certain toy, rather than being compelled to shoot each other only because of the toy. But they were still casualties.

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
sauronsfinger
Posted: Tue 02 Dec , 2008 1:39 pm

more news including the fact that Wal Mart is using the dead man - Jdimytai Damour - a recently hired parttime maintainance worker - as proof they hired more security at the event. The word IRONY seems appropriate here.

And a $2 million dollar suit by a different party involved in the stampede has been filed with more to come. And it looks like it will be a finger pointing blame game between the Wal Mart store and the local police department.
Quote:
The temporary employee who was barreled over in a Valley Stream Wal-Mart by a crush of Black Friday shoppers died of asphyxiation, preliminary autopsy results revealed yesterday.

Nassau police released the findings at a news conference in which they also defended themselves from criticism - including allegations of negligence by a father and son who filed a $2 million notice of claim against the county.

"The flaw here really comes down to the planning and organization of the sales event," Nassau Police Commissioner Lawrence Mulvey said.

Mulvey said that police had met with security officials from Green Acres Mall, where the store is located, "in anticipation of these sales."

"And the message was clearly portrayed to all those parties that these kinds of events fall within the purview of their security," Mulvey said. "And they need to plan, organize and police them properly.

"We clearly put it on their plate," he said.

Seasonal security worker Jdimytai Damour, 34, of Jamaica, Queens, was trampled during a stampede at Green Acres Mall by some 2,000 frenzied shoppers who broke through a glass door in a rush to take advantage of sales.

Mulvey said yesterday that Damour's cause of death was "positional asphyxiation" consistent with having pressure applied to his chest.

"He was trampled to death," Mulvey said.

The news came the same day Hempstead residents Fritz Mesadieu, 51, and his son Jonathan, 19, filed a notice of claim against Nassau and its police department, as well as a separate negligence suit against Wal-Mart.

The Mesadieus' lawyer, Kenneth Mollins, of Melville, said the father and son were among those caught up in the shopping surge. They sustained neck and back injuries from being lifted off their feet and slammed into people and objects, Mollins said.

According to the Mesadieus, who arrived outside of the Wal-Mart about an hour before the doors opened at 5 a.m., Nassau police were on site before the stampede, but did nothing and quickly left - even as unrest grew among the crowd.

"It was clearly foreseeable, but police either didn't see it, or saw it and didn't care and left anyway," Mollins said.

Mulvey said yesterday officers responded to the Wal-Mart around 3 a.m. after receiving a call about a disturbance, but left about 20 minutes later because, "The assembled people were orderly, behaved themselves."

Yesterday, Therese Sgro, the mother of a 14-year-old girl who said she had her wrist fractured when she was punched by a woman in the crowd around 3:45 a.m., said police "pretty much dismissed us as if it was no big deal" and refused to take a police report.

Sgro's claims could not be confirmed last night, Nassau police said.

In a separate suit, the Mesadieus said Wal-Mart also demonstrated "carelessness, recklessness and negligence" by not sufficiently protecting patrons.

A Wal-Mart spokesman said yesterday that the company had not yet been served with the suit, and declined to comment. However, he did cite a previous statement in which Wal-Mart detailed its Black Friday security measures at the store, including putting up barriers and hiring additional security workers, like Damour.

In an updated statement, Wal-Mart senior vice president Hank Mullany said yesterday that the company "will continue to partner closely with Nassau County law enforcement officials as they conduct their investigation. Nothing is more important to us than providing a safe and secure shopping environment for our customers and associates."
Also read an article this morning which said that this past few days has seen the most online discussion about Wal Mart among bloggers for the entire year of 2008. I wonder if there is still no such thing as bad publicity?

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs. - John Rogers

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Tue 02 Dec , 2008 1:44 pm
Aspiring to heresy

Well, that depends - are sales bigger or smaller than normal, or just as usual?

The fact that some of the shoppers were injured implies that they were not all equally to blame, and it may be hard to pinpoint those that were responsible.

I'm not overly optimistic about justice being served in this case.

[ img ]

Melkor and Ungoliant in need of some relationship counselling.

Profile Quote
Cenedril_Gildinaur
Posted: Tue 02 Dec , 2008 3:37 pm

2 men dead after shots fired in SoCal Toys 'R' Us
Quote:
PALM DESERT, Calif. (AP) — Two men pulled guns and shot each other to death in a crowded toy store Friday after the women with them erupted into a bloody brawl, witnesses said. Scared shoppers fled but no one else was hurt.

The violence erupted on Black Friday, the traditional post-Thanksgiving start of the holiday shopping surge, but authorities indicated the shooting wasn't related to a shopping frenzy.

Riverside County sheriff's Sgt. Dennis Gutierrez said the fight was not over a toy. He said handguns were found by the men's bodies, but he released little other information. He would not answer a question about whether the shooting was gang-related.

Witnesses Scott and Joan Barrick said they were checking out of the store when the fight began between two women, each with a man. The women were near the checkout area, but the Barricks did not think the women had purchases.

One woman suddenly started punching the other woman, who fought back as blood flowed from her nose, Scott Barrick, 41, said.

The man who was with the woman being punched pulled a gun halfway out of his pocket, then shoved it back in, he said.

"He pulled his gun right next to me. I turned to look for my wife, and she was already hiding," Barrick said.

"I was scared," said Joan Barrick, 40. "I didn't want to die today. I really didn't want to die today, and I think that's what we were all thinking."

The other man pulled a gun and pointed it at the first man but forgot to cock it, Scott Barrick said. The first man tried to run but was blocked by the line of people, then ran back toward the store's electronics section as the other man fired his gun, he said.

The first man reached a dead-end in electronics, turned around and ran toward an exit, pulling his gun and firing back, he said.

"He went up to the cash register, he went to put his hand on the thing and he just went phoomp," he said, indicating the man fell.

He said he did not see what happened to the other man.

Palm Desert Councilman Jim Ferguson said police told him two men with handguns shot and killed each other.

"I think the obvious question everyone has is who takes loaded weapons into a Toys "R" Us?" he said. "I doubt it was the casual holiday shopper."

Ray Turner, 20, said he was two aisles away when two women began shouting and screaming at each other and he had a clear view of the fight until a crowd clustered around them. Both women had children, he said.

"We thought it was just a fight and then someone yelled, 'He's got a gun. He's got a gun.' You really couldn't see nothing because there was a crowd," Turner said.

Rafael Gomez, 11, said he and his father had been in the store about 20 minutes before the shooting but were in a nearby Pizza Hut when they saw people pouring out of the store screaming.

"We just saw them running and crying. I was kind of scared," Rafael said. "We got lucky."

Toys "R" Us issued a statement expressing outrage over the violence.

"We are working closely with local law enforcement officials to determine the specific details of what occurred," the statement said. "Our understanding is that this act seems to have been the result of a personal dispute between the individuals involved. Therefore, it would be inaccurate to associate the events of today with Black Friday."

The Barricks and others remained at the scene long after the shooting because investigators would not allow cars to be taken from the parking lot until a crime-scene reconstruction was completed.

Palm Desert is a resort town about 120 miles east of Los Angeles.
also

Terror Filled 911 Call Released in Deadly Toys 'R' Us Shooting

It is a myth that coercion is necessary in order to force people to get along together, but it is a persistent myth because it feeds a desire many people have. That desire is to be able to justify hurting people who have done nothing other than offend them in some way.

Last edited by Cenedril_Gildinaur on Tue Feb 30, 2026 13:61 am; edited 426 times in total

Profile Quote
Legolas the elf
Posted: Wed 03 Dec , 2008 1:48 am
Trudging the road of happy destiny...

Funny how the article doesn't stress the disturbing behavior of the "patrons", the people "breaking through the glass and stampeding" through the doors of Walmart at all in that article saruonsfinger posted. People aren't mindless idiots......oh wait, we're talking about Americans at Walmart. Nevermind.

Is it just me, or does that news article make it sound like it is expected and ok for Americans to behave that way to save $40 bucks on junky shit that their fatherless, disturbed up kids are gonna break or sell for pot anyway? (yes, they will sell it for pot at school...I know, I did it.)

(This is an angry thread I started. :oops: )

Profile Quote
sauronsfinger
Posted: Wed 03 Dec , 2008 12:43 pm

from Legolas the Elf
Quote:
Funny how the article doesn't stress the disturbing behavior of the "patrons", the people "breaking through the glass and stampeding" through the doors of Walmart at all in that article saruonsfinger posted. People aren't mindless idiots......oh wait, we're talking about Americans at Walmart. Nevermind

This is probably due to the way that a news story unfolds over a few days.
Obviously the first thing looked at is the event itself with the emphasis on the crowd activity resulting in the death of the employee. I would bet that when many people heard it or better yet - saw it on the news - they were revolted and disgusted and said lots of things about the terrible behavior of that mob.

But then in subsequent days, people started to take a closer look at what happened. The role of Wal Mart in the entire event began to be discussed. Questions arose about the culpability ofthe Wal Mart store and the corporation itself. Then we got the response of the local Long Island police department which indicated they had warned the store about possible problems happening if they did not employ proper security. From there we began to hear of actual people there and what they had to say about it.

To some extent, this is like an onion where as each layer is peeled away, we get closer to the core of it.

Profile Quote
Legolas the elf
Posted: Thu 04 Dec , 2008 2:27 am

Quote:
This is probably due to the way that a news story unfolds over a few days.
Obviously the first thing looked at is the event itself with the emphasis on the crowd activity resulting in the death of the employee. I would bet that when many people heard it or better yet - saw it on the news - they were revolted and disgusted and said lots of things about the terrible behavior of that mob.

But then in subsequent days, people started to take a closer look at what happened. The role of Wal Mart in the entire event began to be discussed. Questions arose about the culpability ofthe Wal Mart store and the corporation itself. Then we got the response of the local Long Island police department which indicated they had warned the store about possible problems happening if they did not employ proper security. From there we began to hear of actual people there and what they had to say about it.

To some extent, this is like an onion where as each layer is peeled away, we get closer to the core of it.
Oh. I see what you mean. There's still "something wrong. Something not quite right."

Profile Quote
sauronsfinger
Posted: Thu 04 Dec , 2008 12:44 pm

Well here is even more as the onion gets peeled. This latest information seems to point to a woeful lack of any control by Wal Mart of the actual activity in the parking lot - which was their own company lot - to regulate the crowd and direct them as needed. It sounds as if hordes of people just went from their cars to the front of the store and that was a contributing factor to the problem.
Quote:
A competitive, no-cutting-in-line conflict between two large groups of shoppers helped to spark the Black Friday stampede in which a Wal-Mart worker was trampled to death, Nassau police said Wednesday.

Shoppers who remained inside their vehicles in the parking lot until the Valley Stream store's special 5 a.m. opening apparently clashed with people who had stood in line for hours outside Wal-Mart, police said.

When the store's doors opened, the conflict between the two groups - with "a considerable amount of people" who had stayed in their vehicles rushing to enter the store without waiting in line - fostered "mob mentality," Nassau Police Lt. Kevin Smith said.

"A whole lot of people started getting out of their cars and made a beeline for that door," Smith said, referring to the one set of doors open to shoppers.
"It's definitely a contributing factor - the mentality of 'They're not going to cut in front of me.' "

In the crush of an estimated 2,000 people, the set of doors was broken and Jdimytai Damour, 34, of Jamaica, was trampled, dying of asphyxiation, police said. No one has been charged in connection with the death, though police are investigating possible criminal charges.

Meanwhile, an attorney for Damour's family yesterday filed a wrongful-death lawsuit against Wal-Mart in state Supreme Court in the Bronx, The Associated Press reported. The lawsuit was filed on behalf of Elsie Damour Phillipe, the victim's sister.

In a written statement, Hank Mullany, president of Wal-Mart's Eastern Division, said the company is working to implement stronger safety measures.

"We consider Mr. Damour part of the Wal-Mart family, and are saddened by his death," Mullany said. "We have been in communication with members of his family to do what we can to help them through this difficult time. Our associates know that when incidents like this occur, we take care of our own."

The statement did not address the family's lawsuit.

Police reports on the Black Friday disturbance showed a total of five cases requiring medical attention, with people suffering injuries ranging from a broken ankle to complaints of pain, along with three reports of harassment and Damour's death, Smith said.

Police are learning about events leading up to the stampede and Damour's death by interviewing witnesses and examining the store's video surveillance cameras. They could not say how many people left their vehicles and rushed for the doors or how many vehicles were waiting in the parking lot before the Wal-Mart opened.

Attorneys interviewed by Newsday earlier in the week stated that the chances of charges being filed against anyone aren't good.

Police officials conceded that point. "The likelihood of our being able to find, identify and attribute criminality to them will be very difficult," Smith said.

Earlier that morning, Nassau police officers responded to the Wal-Mart at about 3 a.m. after receiving a call about a disturbance. The officers left about 20 minutes later because the crowd was orderly, Smith said.

Officers were called back to the store about 5 a.m. because Damour had been trampled.

A pregnant woman who police did not identify was taken to a hospital after the ruckus. Her water broke, but she did not have a miscarriage and was released from the hospital, police said.

The lawsuit filed by Damour's family is not the first in connection with stampede. On Monday, Fritz Mesadieu, 51, and his son Jonathan, 19, both of Hempstead, filed a notice of claim against Nassau County and a separate negligence suit against Wal-Mart.

They say that the county was negligent, alleging it failed to have proper police in the Wal-Mart parking lot. Their lawsuit seeks $2 million.

Profile Quote
Legolas the elf
Posted: Sat 06 Dec , 2008 1:45 am

If I were a worker at Walmart that morning, and saw a bunch of ravenously greedy people at 4am, cheaply salivating over the prospect of saving $40 on plastic shit, trying to push through the glass door, I'd tell my boss he's in the wrong fucking business, and I'd walk out the back door. Fuck the 4am Black Friday Walmart shoppers. Like I said before, they should be put on a deserted island w/ all of the war pigs (Ex: Dick Cheney) out there. :D Let the war pigs eat them for survival.

Did they close the store down after they realized the man was dead? Or did they leave the store open for the "shoppers"=poor, delusioned souls who believe plastic shit is worth human life ?

If they did leave the store open, did the "shoppers" atleast pause for a moment of silence in respect for one who sacrificed his life so others could save $40 on plastic shit? I mean, didn't they at least gather around his trampled body and perform some kind of burial rites to the Walmarticus, the God of Cheap Plastic Shit?

Profile Quote
Heliona
Posted: Tue 09 Dec , 2008 1:24 am

Wow, this is an interesting thread!

More so for me, as I've only just been introduced to the idea of Black Friday. We don't really have anything like that over here. Sure, there's Boxing Day, but I've never seen hordes of people outside stores - mainly because they're probably sleeping off Christmas night! :D

I find it difficult to believe that an incident like this wasn't foreseen. Not necessarily with such tragic results, but when any large crowd gets together, they're going to be uncontrollable (especially if they've spent hours standing/sitting around in the cold). Black Friday is a known event - it's not as though this was the first year it's taken place.

I can't really comment on how much security this particular Wal-Mart hired for Black Friday; whether they hired more than they would normally. One would hope so, as they naturally would expect more shoppers than on a normal, working day.

As someone said, these events tend to disappear from the news after a while, so any incidents in previous years that perhaps didn't result in injury, but potentially could have done either didn't make it to the public domain, or stay in it very long - so people not directly involved don't remember.

I think that perhaps in light of this event (and any others that haven't been reported), some sort of ticketing system, where tickets are issued on a "first come, first served" basis (if people are going to camp out for hours, then why shouldn't they be rewarded with first entry, as opposed to people who turn up just before the doors open who may get in before them) and the crowd is let in in groups of say, 50 people every minute. That way there is some semblence of control to the entry.

Of course, that relies on people respecting that, and whether they would or not is another question.

With regards to who is responsible, I will say that a manager is responsible for the safety of his staff, as well as for turning a profit. Not having a safe work environment for staff means walk-outs, and yes, I'm sure more staff could easily be hired, but there are the logistics involved. I'm sure that a risk assessment meeting would have been held before the Black Friday sale. Obviously the risks were underestimated. I doubt they will be again. The Western World has gone Health and Safety-mad, especially with the increasingly litigious mindset of the public, both in the United States (which is, of course, famous for it) and also now in Europe. I'm not saying that it is not a bad thing that Health and Safety is a main priority: of course it is. But perhaps some of the more "ridiculous" laws have lead to Health and Safety being thought of as voluntary as opposed to compulsory.

Of course, this is all speculation with regards this incident, as all the "facts" that have been reported may only be two-thirds true, or mis-reported, and I doubt the entire truth will come out until a court case. (I say this with experience of first-hand knowledge of incidents reported in the press where the facts are either mis-quoted or in fact entirely made up of a mish-mash of truth and fantasy.)

As for unions - I wrote a bit about them in the union thread. Here is my post (assuming I linked to it correctly!)

Apologies if this doesn't make much sense: I'm writing it at 1:30 in the morning. (Perhaps I should also state that everything I've written is solely my opinion!)

[Edited to tidy up the wording and fix links.]

Profile Quote
TheMary
Posted: Wed 10 Dec , 2008 5:32 am
I took the stars from my eyes, and then I made a map, And knew that somehow I could find my way back; Then I heard your heart beating, you were in the darkness too - So I stayed in the darkness with you

That's what ya get for shopping at Wal-Mart.

Lay down
Your sweet and weary head
Night is falling
You’ve come to journey's end
Sleep now
And dream of the ones who came before
They are calling
From across the distant shore

Why do you weep?
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see
All of your fears will pass away
Safe in my arms
You're only sleeping

Profile Quote
Axordil
Posted: Wed 10 Dec , 2008 3:49 pm
Not so deep as a well

It's true, I can't imagine this happening at Target. They'd at least put rows of carts out to form a queue or something.

Destiny is a rhythm track on which we must improvise.

In some cases, firing the drummer helps.

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 8 of 9  [ 164 posts ]
Return to “The Symposium” | Jump to page « 15 6 7 8 9 »
Jump to: