The Last Homely Site on the Web

Pretty'n up Palin

Locked   Page 4 of 6  [ 119 posts ]
Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 5 6 »
TheEllipticalDisillusion
Post subject: Re: Pretty'n up Palin
Posted: Fri 09 Jan , 2009 2:02 am
Insolent Pup

The Republican party will become a scarier group if Palin becomes the next figurehead.

The 11/3 Project

laureanna
Posted: Fri 09 Jan , 2009 5:06 am
Triathlete

sauronsfinger wrote:

Alaska is one wacky place.
Having lived there 30 years, I can certainly attest to that. In fact, I got an inkling of it the first week after I moved to Fairbanks, and was standing in a long line at the bank, watching a guy unselfconsciously cracking walnuts in the hinges of the front door of the bank while chatting loudly with someone else in line. :help:

I think Palin is only remaining in the news because the news media needs a little levity to mix in with the doom and gloom. If they had more interesting stuff to cover, they wouldn't be looking for the "human interest story" she offers.

Well, I'm back.

sauronsfinger
Posted: Fri 09 Jan , 2009 12:51 pm

TED
of course a lot can happen in four years time.... but it looks to me like it could be a possible perfect storm for the Repubicans in 2012. Almost every survey I have seen of 2008 Republican voters indicates that the overwhelming first choice for them would be Sarah Palin. One such poll had her in the 60th percentile of support while nobody else got out of the teens. That is a massive lead even considering the time element. And then we have the opposite numbers showing that some 60% of all Americans feel she is bad news and not qualified to be president. One really telling number was how her popularity went down severely as people actually got to know her.

Palin has shown a strong desire to stay in front of the camera and has no desire simply to return to Alaska and melt back into the iceflow. She has stated a desire for a possible presidential run and has over 60,000 people who have already pledged to support and help her.

Some of this depends on what happens to the Republicans as a party over the next 12 months. Who they elect as their organizational leaders, what tact they adopt in the Congress, which other leaders emerge among elected officials... all that will figure in since it helps shape the electoral landscape in early primaries.

One fact that would contribute to this perfect storm is the demographics and trends. The nation as a whole is trending away from the Reagan philosophy while the Republicans are still clinging to it - some seeing it as their salvation in rebuilding. They will not rebuild around the future but around the past... and a past which has gone.

Some get angry when you mention the realities of it all, but the Republicans are the White party at a time when the nation is becoming less white every decade for the forseeable future. That spells trouble for them.

For my money, I would bet on Palin right now to be the candidate in 2012. And I imagine that puts the Democrats right back in 1963 when the prospect of Barry Goldwater as the opponent of JFK was considered as too good to be true.

Laurenna - that Alaskan nut cracking story certainly says something. And its funny too. Thanks for sharing it.

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs. - John Rogers

Ara-anna
Posted: Fri 09 Jan , 2009 4:25 pm
Daydream Believer

I don't see the GOP clinging to Reagan philosophy at all, had they had stuck to the Reagan philosphy they might have won this election. But they have taken a strong right turn into oblivion and Palin is the driving task master. The GOP needs to get back to fiscal conservancy, slightly right of middle moral issues instead of the far right dogma, and a willingness to work with the Dems instead of having Rush and ilk decide what they are doing. They as a party will fail if they keep going down the Palin/Rush track.

No I don’t think they are anywhere near Reagan’s philosophy, had they been or if they were, Palin would not be touted as the ring leader, and they would have most likely won this election. But they are not and are veering more and more to the far right black hole.

Oh and it is my opinion God probably has much more important things to worry about besides a gas line. Why do I think this, because Jesus walked everywhere, if it was good enough for him, well.....

Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in

Five seconds away from the Tetons and Yellowstone

halplm
Posted: Mon 19 Jan , 2009 9:34 pm
b77 whipping boy

sauronsfinger wrote:
TED
of course a lot can happen in four years time.... but it looks to me like it could be a possible perfect storm for the Repubicans in 2012. Almost every survey I have seen of 2008 Republican voters indicates that the overwhelming first choice for them would be Sarah Palin. One such poll had her in the 60th percentile of support while nobody else got out of the teens. That is a massive lead even considering the time element. And then we have the opposite numbers showing that some 60% of all Americans feel she is bad news and not qualified to be president. One really telling number was how her popularity went down severely as people actually got to know her.
More than likely, all this shows is that people think Tina Fey is unqualified to be president, and they don't like her. The vast majority of Americans don't have a clue who Sarah Palin is.
Quote:
Palin has shown a strong desire to stay in front of the camera and has no desire simply to return to Alaska and melt back into the iceflow. She has stated a desire for a possible presidential run and has over 60,000 people who have already pledged to support and help her.
She has more to worry from the Republican party than anyone else. They could destroy themselves with very little effort.
Quote:
Some of this depends on what happens to the Republicans as a party over the next 12 months. Who they elect as their organizational leaders, what tact they adopt in the Congress, which other leaders emerge among elected officials... all that will figure in since it helps shape the electoral landscape in early primaries.

One fact that would contribute to this perfect storm is the demographics and trends. The nation as a whole is trending away from the Reagan philosophy while the Republicans are still clinging to it - some seeing it as their salvation in rebuilding. They will not rebuild around the future but around the past... and a past which has gone.
Contrary to popular belief, there is nothing new in politics. A case in point is Obama, who is a carbon copy of Carter on every single policy issue... and Carter wasn't even that long ago. Rebuilding around the future or the past makes no sense. Rather, it makes sense to build around the ideals of your constituants.
Quote:
Some get angry when you mention the realities of it all, but the Republicans are the White party at a time when the nation is becoming less white every decade for the forseeable future. That spells trouble for them.
Yes, people get angry when you spout racist nonsense.
Quote:
For my money, I would bet on Palin right now to be the candidate in 2012. And I imagine that puts the Democrats right back in 1963 when the prospect of Barry Goldwater as the opponent of JFK was considered as too good to be true.
Palin won't run if Obama is going to win in a landslide, which is likely if he can continue to (falsely) blame republicans for all the world's problems. If he screws things up, then Palin will run, and she will win.

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

sauronsfinger
Posted: Mon 19 Jan , 2009 10:55 pm

from Halplm
Quote:
Yes, people get angry when you spout racist nonsense.
You fail - yet again - to understand that an acceptance of the reality of voting demographics as they apply to areas of race, ethnicity, age and other factors is important to understanding trends in elections and politics.

Every single analysis of the 2008 vote and voting trends indentifies RACE as a vital factor and uses it in analysis. The fact that the Republicans are almost exclusively the White persons party, cannot be hidden or glossed over. Its there. Deal with it. Go back and look at the TV pictures from the 2008 GOP Convention. Those pictures did not lie.

America is changing demographically. By the decade of the 2050-'s , what we now know as White Americans will be in the voting minority. Even Stevie Wonder can see the train wreck that is going to happen to the modern Republican Party if they do not learn how to expand their current demographic appeal.

But it matters little to me. I never cried or lost a nights sleep about the Whigs not being around either.

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs. - John Rogers

halplm
Posted: Mon 19 Jan , 2009 11:05 pm
b77 whipping boy

And you fail as always and just like all leftists, to understand the difference between causation and correlation.

Not to mention, the blatantly untrue notion that republicans are racists, which is what you are attempting to imply.

There is nothing racist about conservative principles.

The only racist party in the US is the democratic party, with it's chronic victim status for everyone that isn't a white male. It's frankly disgusting, and a travesty that most people buy into it out of willful ignorance or guilt.

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

sauronsfinger
Posted: Mon 19 Jan , 2009 11:12 pm

January 20, 2009.

12 noon.

President Barack Obama.

:toast:

A new Congress with 59 Democratic Senators. Al Franken one of them.

:toast:

This is going to be great.... really great. :cool:

And - for myself - one of the truly most enjoyable parts of it is reading and listening to the Republican conservatives cry and wail and tear out their hair about this. I listened to the first hour of Limbaugh today while I was running and he never stopped crying about Obama. It was so wonderful to hear. Every moan made me very happy. Every complaint broadened the smile upon my face even though it was ten degrees outside.

LIFE IS GOOOOOOOOD!!!!!!

halplm
Posted: Mon 19 Jan , 2009 11:16 pm
b77 whipping boy

LOL, you're proud a comedian could steal an election just because he's in your party? :LMAO:

IT's good to see you share our soon to be President's oh so strong desire to reach across the aisle to people who disagree with you.

Of course, you know that's all total BS, so I can understand you feeling thrilled.

You should be terrified, of course, because the Democratic party is going to destroy itself, while trying to drag the country down with it.

sauronsfinger
Posted: Mon 19 Jan , 2009 11:26 pm

Yup. Happy as a clam. Thats me. Everything I hoped for has happened.

Barack Obama defeated John McCain.
Sarah Palin was exposed as an unqualfied, unintelligent cretin and sent packing back to the iceflow.
The Democrats won big majorities in both houses of Congress.
Al Franken - probably the most hated by Republicans of all Senate candidates - won in a recount which will leave a bad taste in the mouth of Republicans for a long time.
Public opinion polls say that 79% of Americans want Obama to be successful.

Yup. Happy as I can be these days.

:banana: :LMAO: :banana:

halplm
Posted: Mon 19 Jan , 2009 11:40 pm
b77 whipping boy

sauronsfinger wrote:
Yup. Happy as a clam. Thats me. Everything I hoped for has happened.
Well, if you invent your own reality, I suppose that's true.
Quote:
Barack Obama defeated John McCain.
I believe it would be more accurate to state that John McCain ran a horrifyingly bad campaign, and was never supported by his own party... but that's probably just splitting hairs.
Quote:
Sarah Palin was exposed as an unqualfied, unintelligent cretin and sent packing back to the iceflow.
If Sarah Palin is unqualified to be Vice President, then Obama is grossly unqualified to be President. Any "exposure" you claim has happened, is outright lies and distortions, or simply people believing that Tina Fey's was repeating Sarah Palin word for word, which is nonsense.

Sara Palin is an "unintelligent cretin?" That's a pretty harsh assesment of someone that is far smarter than you anyway. But the left can't really stand conservative women and have to belittle them at every opportunity they can, otherwise their entire belief system falls apart. You also seem to have a pretty bigotted opinion of alaskans... and others that live in the north. I'm sure it's an enlightened view, though, and founded in strong scientific research about how... you know... cold is bad or something... Or is that warming is bad?
Quote:
The Democrats won big majorities in both houses of Congress.
Indeed, and they are in exactly the situation they were in back in 1992, except of course with far more liberal leadership in all places... so the party will be exposed for what it really is. congrats!
Quote:
Al Franken - probably the most hated by Republicans of all Senate candidates - won in a recount which will leave a bad taste in the mouth of Republicans for a long time.
It's good to know you would rather corrupt the political system of the country to see "your guy" win at all costs. "A bad taste?" Not likely the election that will do that, but having to listen to Al Franken... ever... in politics or not. That and it's good to see you feel comfortable being gleeful at people you hate feeling bad... very noble of you.
Quote:
Public opinion polls say that 79% of Americans want Obama to be successful.
Yes, how shocking Americans want the President of America to be successful :roll:

TheEllipticalDisillusion
Posted: Mon 19 Jan , 2009 11:42 pm
Insolent Pup

Quote:
More than likely, all this shows is that people think Tina Fey is unqualified to be president, and they don't like her. The vast majority of Americans don't have a clue who Sarah Palin is.
Yes, Tina Fey is unqualified to be president. Glad we got that out of the way.

The "vast majority" of Americans? Palin was on every major news channel for 3 months. And considering the polls about her, I'd wager that more people than you would like to declare know about her.
Quote:
You should be terrified, of course, because the Democratic party is going to destroy itself, while trying to drag the country down with it.
I've missed the hyperbole. Glad you're back.

I'm excited for tomorrow. New president, and hopefully a new direction in this country. I'd say Obama's transition work demonstrates his desire to reach across the aisle.

The 11/3 Project

sauronsfinger
Posted: Mon 19 Jan , 2009 11:43 pm

12 noon baby. 12 noon. Less than 20 hours now.

Barack Obama becomes the President of the United States of America.

Get used to it. Learn to love it.

A change is gonna' come. There will be winners. And there will be losers (conservatism, selfishness, Republicans who still want to be the top dogs) .

Get used to that one too.

:banana: :cool: :toast:

Last edited by sauronsfinger on Mon 19 Jan , 2009 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheEllipticalDisillusion
Posted: Mon 19 Jan , 2009 11:44 pm
Insolent Pup

Quote:
I believe it would be more accurate to state that John McCain ran a horrifyingly bad campaign, and was never supported by his own party... but that's probably just splitting hairs.
Good point. Obama didn't run a successful campaign, McCain ran an unsuccessful one because Obama isn't a a successful politician? It's natural to lick your wounds after an election, but at least be honest.

The 11/3 Project

sauronsfinger
Posted: Mon 19 Jan , 2009 11:45 pm

You are asking way toooo much TED.

;)

So how will everyone spend tomorrow?

halplm
Posted: Mon 19 Jan , 2009 11:46 pm
b77 whipping boy

TheEllipticalDisillusion wrote:
Quote:
Yes, Tina Fey is unqualified to be president. Glad we got that out of the way.

The "vast majority" of Americans? Palin was on every major news channel for 3 months. And considering the polls about her, I'd wager that more people than you would like to declare know about her.
This is the misconception. When the media does everything to destroy your character, and more people are familiar with a comedian's impression of you than of you yourself, then people are of course very familiar with your NAME, but not at all familiar reality of the truth about you.

The opposite is also true, of course, for when they boost you, and hide your faults.
Quote:
Quote:
I've missed the hyperbole. Glad you're back.

I'm excited for tomorrow. New president, and hopefully a new direction in this country. I'd say Obama's transition work demonstrates his desire to reach across the aisle.
LOL, that's funny. I'd like to say I've missed the total distortion of reality, but I haven't really.

Last edited by halplm on Mon 19 Jan , 2009 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

halplm
Posted: Mon 19 Jan , 2009 11:49 pm
b77 whipping boy

sauronsfinger wrote:
12 noon baby. 12 noon. Less than 20 hours now.

Barack Obama becomes the President of the United States of America.

Get used to it. Learn to love it.
Yes, you've said this many times now. You may not realize it, but repeating yourself ad infinitum makes you look like an idiot.
Quote:
A change is gonna' come. There will be winners. And there will be losers (conservatism, selfishness, Republicans who still want to be the top dogs) .
This is one of the more remarkable differences between liberals and conservatives. Most liberals desire the total eradication of all views different than their own. Most conservatives welcome all points of view, they just disdain the ones they feel are stupid... because well... they are.

sauronsfinger
Posted: Mon 19 Jan , 2009 11:51 pm

from Halplm
Quote:
I'd like to say I've missed the total distortion of reality, but I haven't really.
Hal , of every single word you have ever written both here and on other sites, that is the single most revealing sentence you have every written. Yes, we know you have not missed out on distorting reality. We all know that and are confident it will continue unabated.

12 noon cupcake. 12 noon. January 20th. Your new president is Barack Obama.

:banana: :cool: :LMAO: :toast:

Cannot repeat it enough ... or often enough....

Last edited by sauronsfinger on Mon 19 Jan , 2009 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

halplm
Posted: Mon 19 Jan , 2009 11:52 pm
b77 whipping boy

yep, still look like an idiot

sauronsfinger
Posted: Mon 19 Jan , 2009 11:54 pm

Call all the names you want.

We won.

You lost.

Its four years with control of the White House.
Control of the House of Representatives.
Control of the US Senate.

Call all the names you want cupcake.

:toast: :banana: ;)

Display: Sort by: Direction:
Locked   Page 4 of 6  [ 119 posts ]
Return to “The Symposium” | Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 5 6 »
Jump to: