board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

14,528 texts - get a life please.

Post Reply   Page 2 of 2  [ 35 posts ]
Jump to page « 1 2
Dawnnamira
Post subject: Re: 14,528 texts - get a life please.
Posted: Thu 15 Jan , 2009 2:28 am

No, it's not, because I was the same when I was that age and I'm a girl...

It's the culture of today, I think.

How strange it is to be anything at all

Profile Quote
yovargas
Posted: Thu 15 Jan , 2009 3:02 am

Nope, it's this crazy thing called individuals. Turns out each human is different from others. Weird.

Profile Quote
Ara-anna
Posted: Thu 15 Jan , 2009 3:31 pm
Daydream Believer

They had a follow up on the Today Show and even though her plan had unlimited texting, mom and dad did end up taking her privileges away from her after they recieved numerous paged bill.

Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in

Five seconds away from the Tetons and Yellowstone

Profile Quote
Dawnnamira
Posted: Thu 15 Jan , 2009 3:40 pm

Smart parents.

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Thu 15 Jan , 2009 3:43 pm
The Grey Amaretto as Supermega-awesome Proud Heretic Girl

yovargas wrote:
Nope, it's this crazy thing called individuals. Turns out each human is different from others. Weird.
:D Exactly.

As I said, I talked to my friends for hours after school (and during). This was in the 80s, when cell phones were the size of a toaster and only available to the very rich. We used a regular phone (no call waiting either, so we got yelled at after a few hours when our moms would discover we'd been on the phone for so long) or we used pen and paper. (Imagine that! ;) )

Speaking of which, is anyone else losing their handwriting skills? :blackeye:

Lali

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Estel
Posted: Thu 15 Jan , 2009 4:07 pm
Pure Kitsch Flavor

LalaithUrwen wrote:

Lali

Yes - absolutely. I've still got printing just fine, but my script is back to 7th grade levels in how it looks :P

Profile Quote
Di of Long Cleeve
Posted: Thu 15 Jan , 2009 4:13 pm
Frodo's girl through and through

LalaithUrwen wrote:
Yep. :D

"Frodo undertook his quest out of love - to save the world he knew from disaster at his own expense, if he could ... " Letter no. 246

Avatar by elanordh on Live Journal

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Thu 15 Jan , 2009 4:13 pm
The Grey Amaretto as Supermega-awesome Proud Heretic Girl

I'm glad I'm not the only one! :LMAO:

Mine has just gotten messier, and I make more mistakes. It's almost like cursive handwriting is too slow for my mind now, so it takes a conscious effort to make my brain and my hand slow down. And, you're right, printing is easier; perhaps because it's always forced me to write slower, and it's the first type of handwriting we learn.

Lali

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Riverthalos
Posted: Thu 15 Jan , 2009 5:50 pm
bioalchemist

My script was a disaster from day one. I switched back to print as soon as the teachers stopped requiring us to write in script. Even my print was pretty shitty right until halfway through college when suddenly it started cleaning up and just as suddenly my signature decayed into "River, WTF is this?" Seriously. I don't think I even have all the letters in my signature. But my print is nice and legible. I blame a lethal combination of note-taking for class, notebook-keeping for lab, and EMT paperwork. The latter especially was the death of my signature.

I've noticed though that if I haven't been writing by hand for a while my handwriting gets crappy. It improves quickly though - my lab notebooks are entirely hand-written. On numbered pages. With blue or black ink. NIH rules.

My parents both have shitty handwriting. Having learned to decipher their glyphs I can get through just about anyone else's handwriting. So long as it's English, that is.

"He attacks. And here I can kill him. But I don't. That's the answer to world peace, people."
-Stickles Shihan

Profile Quote
Rebecca
Posted: Thu 15 Jan , 2009 6:19 pm

I was the same as RIver, never used script after it was no longer required. So now I write much faster in print. It's usually quite legible, too. Depending on how fast I try to write, it usually looks pretty nice I suppose.

Sometimes I find myself writing what I would consider "typos," like transposing to letters. I think that's weird. :P I also get carried away sometimes with double letters....so on occasion I have written "Rebeccca." :blackeye:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
elfshadow
Posted: Thu 15 Jan , 2009 7:02 pm
Kill the headlights and put it in neutral

I don't really understand the use of script, to be honest. We had to use it exclusively in the fourth grade, and since then I've only had to use it when signing something or on that stupid little agreement on the SATs where you have to copy the entire thing in cursive. But on the whole, print is much easier to read. My own print is sort of a mix between cursive and print, because it's faster to write than copying out each individual letter and that's just the way my print has developed. But I always hate it when I come upon someone who writes exclusively in cursive, because it's almost always impossible to decipher their writing. :rage:

Profile Quote
Dawnnamira
Posted: Thu 15 Jan , 2009 7:05 pm

I haven't noticed any degeneration in my handwriting, but who knows, mine has always been kind of bad.

I definitely wouldn't be so quick to dismiss my statement that it could be the culture of today...but apparently that's "Me being an individual" so whatever.

Profile Quote
elfshadow
Posted: Thu 15 Jan , 2009 7:20 pm
Kill the headlights and put it in neutral

I don't really think that talkativeness, through texts or phone calls or notes or vocal conversations or whatever, has changed at all because of today's culture. I think that there are different avenues through which to communicate with others, but humans are, and always have been, social beings. There have always been examples of people who want very little to do with anyone else, and examples of people who are much more social. I think this girl is just an extreme case of the latter. When I was in elementary school and no one had cell phones, we just passed each other notes in class--as many others in this thread have pointed out. Texting may be faster and more discreet, but as I said I don't think this represents a real change in human nature. Just a change in the technology available.

Profile Quote
Impenitent
Posted: Thu 15 Jan , 2009 10:14 pm
Try to stay perky

TheEllipticalDisillusion wrote:
We used the phone to make plans, then walked to each other's house, and executed those plans.
My group of friends used to meet at a given spot and stand around arguing for two or three hours about our plans. Then we'd give up and go to the nearest friends' house and grumble about the wasted time. :P

I've seen my daughter's texts: a helluva lot of monosyllabic messages, like "lol", "k", "wtf", "no" "ya".... they take a nano-second to compose (compose? what a contradiction!). And my daughter manages around 300 a month. A month.

[ img ]

"Believe me, every heart has its secret sorrows, which the world knows not;
and oftentimes we call a man cold when he is only sad." ~Robert C. Savage

Profile Quote
Riverthalos
Posted: Thu 15 Jan , 2009 10:23 pm
bioalchemist

I was always an introvert and passed limited numbers of notes and didn't spend much time on the phone. My sister, OTOH... :Q . And judging from the way she uses her cell phone now, she'd've been on it all the time had such a thing been available to her back then.

11-15 is a time of great insecurity and a lot of girls need constant affirmation that they have friends, that they're good people and so on.

"He attacks. And here I can kill him. But I don't. That's the answer to world peace, people."
-Stickles Shihan

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 2 of 2  [ 35 posts ]
Return to “The Symposium” | Jump to page « 1 2
Jump to: