board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

Coverage from around the world......

Post Reply   Page 1 of 10  [ 200 posts ]
Jump to page 1 2 3 4 510 »
Feredir
Post subject: Coverage from around the world......
Posted: Mon 19 Jan , 2009 3:04 pm

So what is the coverage of our inaguration like around the world? Every station here in the US is swooning for President Elect Obama. There is some coverage about the historical significance of the first black president but it is mostly swooning. There is more that I am seeing but really isn't relevant to this discussion. So what is the coverage around the world and what is everyone else seeing in the US?

freddy

Alatar
Post subject: Re: Coverage from around the world......
Posted: Mon 19 Jan , 2009 3:29 pm
of Vinyamar

Its mostly about the historical significance, but I won't deny that having a charismatic leader who can string two sentences together without sounding like a buffoon is a huge help! ;)

[ img ]
These are my friends, see how they glisten...

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Mon 19 Jan , 2009 3:49 pm
The Grey Amaretto as Supermega-awesome Proud Heretic Girl

:P (Actually, I don't think Obama is that great of a speaker, though he is better than Bush.)

So will the world be watching tomorrow? There is a lot of excitement over here.

I will admit that I got choked up the other morning when I told the girls that Obama is going to be sworn in on the Bible that Abraham Lincoln used. The significance of that was too poignant to brush it aside for partisanship.

Lali

[ img ]

Profile Quote
elfshadow
Posted: Mon 19 Jan , 2009 3:56 pm
Kill the headlights and put it in neutral

I don't think you can fault people for being excited about this Inauguration. There are certainly Obama supporters who only seem to care about his charisma, but I think the majority support him for other reasons. So I think it's a little insulting to insinuate that all of his supporters (myself included) are "swooning" over him as though we're teenagers and he's some sort of Hollywood idol. :roll:

And I will be watching from downtown DC.

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Mon 19 Jan , 2009 4:11 pm

Actually, I think Freddy said that the TV stations (which would imply the reporters) were swooning, not his average supporters. I don't know that I'd use the term "swooning," though I think there is some of that going on. I'd say there's a lot of excitement. People are excited.

Obama will be a wise ruler if he doesn't let any of that go to his head. People are fickle and will turn on him soon enough. And then go back to loving him. And so on. (When I say "people" I mean general public opinion.)

Personally, I hope he does well and leads this country wisely--for our country's sake.

Lali

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Ara-anna
Posted: Mon 19 Jan , 2009 4:36 pm
Daydream Believer

I wonder how many other First Black Presidents we will have.

Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in

Five seconds away from the Tetons and Yellowstone

Profile Quote
Feredir
Posted: Mon 19 Jan , 2009 4:43 pm

I was speaking of the "news" reporters as swooning and not throwing a broad net at supporters in general. I have watched at least four commentators this AM almost giddy and giggling about Pres-Elect Obama, not the event itself.

As far as an orator, sorry he's not all that. Get him away from a teleprompter and there are too many uhhhs and ummms to cast him as a great orator. He's no Reagan but he does speak better than Pres. Bush.

Historically significant yes and a great thing for the US.

freddy

Ara-anna
Posted: Mon 19 Jan , 2009 4:56 pm
Daydream Believer

In all seriousness here what is everyone willing to sacrafice for the betterment of the country?

I ask this because for the last um-teenth years all I have heard is a bunch of whining on both sides about he said she said...blah blah...oh they are so bad at this, they aren't as good as so n so, they have no experience, ect.... so my question is what is it that people are actually willing to sacrafice to make the country work again. Are people willing to sacrafice time and money (ah money....heaven forbid)? Partisan polotics? Oil? Cars? TV time?

My basic question is when does the finger pointing stop and the real work begin?

Profile Quote
Feredir
Posted: Mon 19 Jan , 2009 5:02 pm

Unfortunately, ara-anna I don't think it will ever happen. We have raised and continue to raise people who won't take responsibility for their actions (see the current selection for Tres. Secretary). On top of that, power corrupts and these are people in power. I was reminded of all this as the girls and I watched ROTK Friday night.

Back on track, what else is everyone seeing as far as coverage?

freddy

Crucifer
Posted: Mon 19 Jan , 2009 5:08 pm
A song outlasts a dynasty.

CNN live in conjunction with facebook, I reckon, or as much of it as possible, what with college and orchestra and the like.

tbh, I think my music history lecturer (an Ohian), will spend the two hours making us watch it. :)

Sleep is a death; Oh, make me try by sleeping what it is to die.

Profile Quote
Ara-anna
Posted: Mon 19 Jan , 2009 5:41 pm
Daydream Believer

Feredir wrote:
Unfortunately, ara-anna I don't think it will ever happen. We have raised and continue to raise people who won't take responsibility for their actions (see the current selection for Tres. Secretary). On top of that, power corrupts and these are people in power. I was reminded of all this as the girls and I watched ROTK Friday night.

Back on track, what else is everyone seeing as far as coverage?

freddy

Back off Track...sorry Freddy.

But my question is not about those in power, or those who are next door. But more of when we each and every one of us look in the mirror, what are 'you' willing to do to change things?

Profile Quote
halplm
Posted: Mon 19 Jan , 2009 6:01 pm
b77 whipping boy

Ara-anna wrote:
In all seriousness here what is everyone willing to sacrafice for the betterment of the country?

I ask this because for the last um-teenth years all I have heard is a bunch of whining on both sides about he said she said...blah blah...oh they are so bad at this, they aren't as good as so n so, they have no experience, ect.... so my question is what is it that people are actually willing to sacrafice to make the country work again. Are people willing to sacrafice time and money (ah money....heaven forbid)? Partisan polotics? Oil? Cars? TV time?

My basic question is when does the finger pointing stop and the real work begin?
Simply put... when all opposition voices are silenced. But have no fear, with Obama 2.0 organizing for america, the time for this is near. With his vast civil army that desires nothing more than for him to succeed, and for his agenda to be pushed out there for all americans to "understand," it's only a matter of time before we are all enlightened. And I'm sure the people in his civil army, will be able to "educate" those that don't fully grasp his wisdom.

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

Profile Quote
Alatar
Posted: Mon 19 Jan , 2009 6:03 pm
of Vinyamar

Cue scary music and dark clouds gathering...

[ img ]
These are my friends, see how they glisten...

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Mon 19 Jan , 2009 6:25 pm

What things do you want changed, Ara-anna? Will the things we both want changed be the same? I'm sure there would be some overlap, but I'm also sure there would be differences. And I'm sure that even in those things we want changed there will be differences in how we think the best way to accomplish that would be.

The environment, for example. We could say, "We want to be responsible stewards of our environment in order to preserve this world for generations to come." That is a great and noble goal, but we might have different ideas on how to make that happen--ideas that the other person is strongly opposed to.

I guess my point is (if I have one) is that we all here, on this messageboard at least, do what we can in our own lives, our spheres of influence, and so on to be responsible citizens. But I would never assume that we're all working toward the same ultimate goal, and, even if we are in some sense, we're probably wanting to see that goal happen in different ways.

And I have a very pessimistic view of government and leadership. History supports that view, unfortunately. It is up to the people to be responsible for their countries, for their lives. Part of that is wisely electing leaders and participating in the governing process. Part of that is being responsible for themselves and making decisions with an eye to the future. But that will mean different things to different people.

Okay, done rambling. :roll:

Lali

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Ara-anna
Posted: Mon 19 Jan , 2009 6:43 pm
Daydream Believer

Lali,

Well I want a secure economy. I want my kids to have a happy life. I want peace around me. I can either rely on the government to fix things for which Obama is the person in charge, or I can actually figure out what I can do to do my part.

The way I see it is my part is multifaceted. I can work and pay my bills on time, live with in my means, save some money, and donate time and money to help others. This means I might not get to have a new car every five to ten years, I might not get expanded TV channels, it might mean I get to eat tomato soup instead of steak. And I for one am willing to do so.

I can teach my kids that they don't have to have every single item that comes along, i.e. the newest brightest cell phones, the newest kewlest games, the internet to actually be happy. That education is not only a good way to make money, but also trains your brain. That hard work is rewarding.

As for peace, I don't have to be rude to my neighbors because they have different beliefs than me. I can reach out to those in my own area and get to know them. I realize just because someone has a different point of view, it's not my job to knock them down to make myself look better. I can be happy for those who have a bright shining moment without feeling threatened and resort to name calling to build myself up.

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Mon 19 Jan , 2009 6:58 pm

Well, good, then. We agree on all points. :D

Lali

[ img ]

Profile Quote
sauronsfinger
Posted: Mon 19 Jan , 2009 8:07 pm

Quote:
and please do not forget evil looking people in ill fitting clothing lurking in the shadows ready to pounce when we are not looking .....

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs. - John Rogers

Profile Quote
halplm
Posted: Mon 19 Jan , 2009 9:07 pm
b77 whipping boy

sauronsfinger wrote:
Quote:
and please do not forget evil looking people in ill fitting clothing lurking in the shadows ready to pounce when we are not looking .....

Are you kidding? No hiding around here. They'll be marching in the streets, posting addresses of people on the internet, harassing you whenever they feel like it. They're working for the President! No need to hide that... after all he'll save us all!

I can't wait for my check.

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

Profile Quote
Ara-anna
Posted: Mon 19 Jan , 2009 10:00 pm
Daydream Believer

Please make sure your hands don't have lotion on them, it makes the chip hard to implant. ;) :D

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Mon 19 Jan , 2009 10:06 pm

:D

Well, if we're going to be assimilated, I'll try to at least appreciate the humor of it.

:blackeye:

Lali

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 10  [ 200 posts ]
Return to “The Symposium” | Jump to page 1 2 3 4 510 »
Jump to: