Obama day Jan 20.

Post Reply   Page 9 of 9  [ 167 posts ]
Jump to page « 15 6 7 8 9
Jude
Post subject: Re: Obama day Jan 20.
Posted: Fri 23 Jan , 2009 9:37 pm
Aspiring to heresy

Nothing.

As I understand it, the reason that the statement stood out is that the person quoted was portraying a good thing like it was something bad.

It did for me, anyway.

[ img ]

Melkor and Ungoliant in need of some relationship counselling.

Profile Quote
Riverthalos
Posted: Fri 23 Jan , 2009 9:41 pm
bioalchemist

Feredir wrote:
I understand, but what is wrong with people taking care of themselves and saving?

freddy
Well, if you make your living selling debt to people, lots of things. But for the rest of us, nothing. It's a sign of the upside-down sort of world we live in, when living within your means is portrayed as a bad idea.

"He attacks. And here I can kill him. But I don't. That's the answer to world peace, people."
-Stickles Shihan

Profile Quote
sauronsfinger
Posted: Fri 23 Jan , 2009 10:25 pm

It also impacts businesses who depend on consumer sales. I suspect that was the motivation. The fear is that people who still have money right now will not spend it as they normally do. I agree with Freddy that such a change in habits is good for the long run. Its just not good in the short run for the overall economy. At lease that is the theory. :)

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs. - John Rogers

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Tue 27 Jan , 2009 5:16 pm
Aspiring to heresy

Sort-of on topic:

(it took me a minute to get this one :D )

[ img ]

:LMAO:

[ img ]

Melkor and Ungoliant in need of some relationship counselling.

Profile Quote
Riverthalos
Posted: Tue 27 Jan , 2009 5:36 pm
bioalchemist

:damnfunny:

"He attacks. And here I can kill him. But I don't. That's the answer to world peace, people."
-Stickles Shihan

Profile Quote
Cenedril_Gildinaur
Posted: Tue 27 Jan , 2009 5:53 pm

Feredir wrote:
Dave_LF wrote:
Howard Davidowitz, chairman of New York-based retail consultant and investment bank Davidowitz & Associates wrote:
People are so scared they're starting to save
What? People are taking responsibility for themselves and not relying on credit? This is a good thing. Now I realize that this won't help the economy quickly but when people feel safe they will again spend.
It is a very good thing that people are saving. Only Keynesians think you become poorer by saving.

Saving is how you fund future consumption after all.

Yes, there's a particularly pernicious mindset that insists that the problem is only that people aren't spending and don't consider how people are going to pay for the spending. Those who sell debt have a stake in it, as River pointed out, but it is a mindset not confined to bankers. The entire government financial apparatus shares it. That's the whole theory of the bailouts in the first place - that if you give people money they will therefore spend it and therefore everything will be fine.

The bailouts of last May were interesting because some policy advisors were actually worried that people would take the government checks and use them to pay off debts instead of buy flatscreen televisions. The bailouts of September, going to the banks instead of the people, had a similar worry from policy wonks because the banks used them to shore up bad loans instead of making new loans.

Meanwhile those same wonks who want us to go out and spend more are terrified by the mild deflation that recently occured. The fear is that given even the tiniest amount of deflation all spending will immediately stop because people will wait for prices to drop even more until all prices are zero. The reality is that when prices are too high deflation is necessary to readjust appropriately and people will be more inclined to spend when prices fall, and will make delayed purchases now in many cases even if prices are going to fall more. I did that with my house purchase. I see even better deals on the market, but my need for a house outweighed a few more months wait.

Those wonks really need to get their priorities straight, but I suspect I know what their priorities are. Inflation means you had better spend today because prices will be higher tomorrow, and they want you to spend everything today and go into debt.

A sensible attitude towards personal budgeting would spell disaster for those who make a living off of debt and inflation.

It is a myth that coercion is necessary in order to force people to get along together, but it is a persistent myth because it feeds a desire many people have. That desire is to be able to justify hurting people who have done nothing other than offend them in some way.

Last edited by Cenedril_Gildinaur on Tue Feb 30, 2026 13:61 am; edited 426 times in total

Profile Quote
Dave_LF
Posted: Tue 27 Jan , 2009 7:35 pm
You are hearing me talk

Feredir wrote:
I understand, but what is wrong with people taking care of themselves and saving?
Nothing. I am wryly amused by the fact that even with all this evidence staring him in the face, this guy still thinks the the solution is the problem and the problem is the solution.

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 9 of 9  [ 167 posts ]
Return to “The Symposium” | Jump to page « 15 6 7 8 9
Jump to: