The Last Homely Site on the Web

Obama day Jan 20.

Post Reply   Page 1 of 9  [ 167 posts ]
Jump to page 1 2 3 4 59 »
sauronsfinger
Post subject: Obama day Jan 20.
Posted: Tue 20 Jan , 2009 12:07 am

So how will you spend the day?

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs. - John Rogers

Profile Quote
Crucifer
Post subject: Re: Obama day Jan 20.
Posted: Tue 20 Jan , 2009 12:09 am
A song outlasts a dynasty.

Let's see... Choir at 9, organ practice at 10, history lecture for 2 hours at 11, lecture at 2, work on assignments for college and go to orchestra.

I won't catch much of the inauguration, unfotunately...

But my History lecturer is a staunch Obama supporter from Ohio so we might end up watching some of it then...

Sleep is a death; Oh, make me try by sleeping what it is to die.

Profile Quote
Dave_LF
Posted: Tue 20 Jan , 2009 12:19 am
You are hearing me talk

Obama... Obama... Wasn't he a guy in a TV show or something last year?

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Tue 20 Jan , 2009 12:38 am
The Grey Amaretto as Supermega-awesome Proud Heretic Girl

Where from in Ohio? :) Ohio rocks. Just so you know.

I am doing a special unit study on the inauguration with the girls. It will comprise most of our school day, in fact. I will spend a bit of time on the US Marine Band, its history, and the music, as well. http://www.marineband.usmc.mil/" target="_blank

I have some cool free resources for the unit studies that I plan to look through tonight and put together for tomorrow. Honestly, I'm kind of excited. It's a historic occasion no matter what.

Lali

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Crucifer
Posted: Tue 20 Jan , 2009 12:45 am
A song outlasts a dynasty.

He's from Columbus, Lali.

Sleep is a death; Oh, make me try by sleeping what it is to die.

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Tue 20 Jan , 2009 12:51 am
The Grey Amaretto as Supermega-awesome Proud Heretic Girl

Hmmm, Columbus. Well, it's not too bad of an area. ;) (Better than the nearest big city to where I live currently but not nearly as cool as the Cleveland area, where I grew up.)

Lali

[ img ]

Profile Quote
sauronsfinger
Posted: Tue 20 Jan , 2009 12:53 am

Cleveland has a great restaurant - Lola's owned by chef Michael Symon. Great place and great food. Nice museum also.

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs. - John Rogers

Profile Quote
Riverthalos
Posted: Tue 20 Jan , 2009 1:06 am
bioalchemist

I'll be spending tomorrow the same way I spent today: working. Hopefully, I'll be able to catch an aikido class in the evening. Hopefully, the lab will agree to listening on the radio. After aikido (or after I get home from work), maybe I'll bake a cake.

Oh yeah, and the Impeach Bush sign that's been hanging on my bedroom door since 2003ish is coming down.

"He attacks. And here I can kill him. But I don't. That's the answer to world peace, people."
-Stickles Shihan

Profile Quote
Meril36
Posted: Tue 20 Jan , 2009 1:33 am

Riverthalos wrote:
Oh yeah, and the Impeach Bush sign that's been hanging on my bedroom door since 2003ish is coming down.
Soon to be put back up with the "Bush" crossed out and "Obama" written underneath?

Trying for profundity only limits depth.

With all the anger in the land, how long before the judgement day? Before we cut the fat ones down to size? Before the barricades arise?

Visit my art gallery at deviantART.

Profile Quote
sauronsfinger
Posted: Tue 20 Jan , 2009 1:49 am

Nah.

Profile Quote
TheEllipticalDisillusion
Posted: Tue 20 Jan , 2009 2:03 am
Insolent Pup

I am putting up a sign that says "Impeach Everyone", but other than that I may go out to the bar tomorrow night to celebrate the end of the Bush years, and the beginning of the Obama years, and the thankfully adverted McCain-Palin years.

The 11/3 Project

Profile Quote
Riverthalos
Posted: Tue 20 Jan , 2009 2:36 am
bioalchemist

Meril36 wrote:
Riverthalos wrote:
Soon to be put back up with the "Bush" crossed out and "Obama" written underneath?
Hopefully not. But should that have to happen, I'll just get (or make) a new sign. The current one either gets recycled or saved as a historical artifact. Not sure which yet.

"He attacks. And here I can kill him. But I don't. That's the answer to world peace, people."
-Stickles Shihan

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Tue 20 Jan , 2009 3:29 am
Aspiring to heresy

Have a great day tomorrow US'ers, and congratulations! :toast:

Oh, and to answer the question in the first post - I'll be working. :nerd:

[ img ]

Melkor and Ungoliant in need of some relationship counselling.

Profile Quote
Cenedril_Gildinaur
Posted: Tue 20 Jan , 2009 3:47 am

I'll be adding to the productive sector of the economy. I hear the unproductive sector is having some sort of celebration. Something about people who've never held private sector jobs celebrating a career public sector employee transfering to a new public sector job...

Last edited by Cenedril_Gildinaur on Tue 20 Jan , 2009 3:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

It is a myth that coercion is necessary in order to force people to get along together, but it is a persistent myth because it feeds a desire many people have. That desire is to be able to justify hurting people who have done nothing other than offend them in some way.

Last edited by Cenedril_Gildinaur on Tue Feb 30, 2026 13:61 am; edited 426 times in total

Profile Quote
Riverthalos
Posted: Tue 20 Jan , 2009 3:50 am
bioalchemist

In all fairness, inaugurating the first black president only happens once.

-Stickles Shihan

Profile Quote
Cenedril_Gildinaur
Posted: Tue 20 Jan , 2009 3:51 am

Yes, his skin color is different. I believe, since this is the day for it, that we should not look at the color of a man's skin but of the content of his character.

He's really not that different after all, and the historic aspect then dissolves into "on this day a Democrat takes over from a Republican. Why, the last time that happend was 1993."

It is a myth that coercion is necessary in order to force people to get along together, but it is a persistent myth because it feeds a desire many people have. That desire is to be able to justify hurting people who have done nothing other than offend them in some way.

Last edited by Cenedril_Gildinaur on Tue Feb 30, 2026 13:61 am; edited 426 times in total

Profile Quote
TheEllipticalDisillusion
Posted: Tue 20 Jan , 2009 4:08 am
Insolent Pup

The content of the man's character is more important than his skin color, but the swearing in of the first black president does mark a significant step forward for America considering the history of blacks.

The 11/3 Project

Profile Quote
halplm
Posted: Tue 20 Jan , 2009 9:54 am
b77 whipping boy

not really. Only if you believe racism exists on a large scale. Only one party perpetuates that myth.

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

Profile Quote
jewelsong
Posted: Tue 20 Jan , 2009 10:00 am
Just keep singin'!

halplm wrote:
Only if you believe racism exists on a large scale. Only one party perpetuates that myth.
I believe racism does exist on a large scale, in both overt and covert guises. I do not believe pointing it out is "perpetuating a myth." Rather, I believe ignoring it is a mistake. And likely to be a costly one.

We've come a long way...but we still have a long way to go, both in the US and in the wider world.

Profile Quote
halplm
Posted: Tue 20 Jan , 2009 10:09 am
b77 whipping boy

jewelsong wrote:
halplm wrote:
Only if you believe racism exists on a large scale. Only one party perpetuates that myth.
I believe racism does exist on a large scale, in both overt and covert guises. I do not believe pointing it out is "perpetuating a myth." Rather, I believe ignoring it is a mistake. And likely to be a costly one.

We've come a long way...but we still have a long way to go, both in the US and in the wider world.
I did not say racism did not exist. Rather, it exists in the method where democrats perpetuate the myth that those of minority races are victims of oppression, when in fact they are given more opportunity in this country than anywhere else in the world. If democtrats continue to perpetuate this myth, then minority races are doomed to perpetually be slaves to victimhood, and will be subservient to a government out to control them on a cultural level.

Who is more likely to succeed... one who is told they have every opportunity, they have only to grasp hold of it and take it... or one that is told they are doomed to failure by oppression, and must accept governmental aid to simply survive, with no hope of personal achievement?

I can't tell you who will succeed, only that only one of those two will have any desire to succeed

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 9  [ 167 posts ]
Return to “The Symposium” | Jump to page 1 2 3 4 59 »
Jump to: