board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

Obama day Jan 20.

Post Reply   Page 7 of 9  [ 167 posts ]
Jump to page « 15 6 7 8 9 »
sauronsfinger
Post subject: Re: Obama day Jan 20.
Posted: Thu 22 Jan , 2009 1:00 am

Between the burning of the White House by the British in the War of 1812 and 2001 , no state in the USA was attacked by a foreign enemy. George W. Bush changed all that. Please excuse my extreme lack of patriotism if I do not get down on my knees and thank him for the last seven years.

The jerk gets no credit from me for screwing up royally in the first place.

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs. - John Rogers

Profile Quote
halplm
Posted: Thu 22 Jan , 2009 1:13 am
b77 whipping boy

I'm sorry Crucifer, but your post has made me angrier than I have been all day. If you are offended by anything in my reply, please accept my apology.
Crucifer wrote:
I know Spain and England were attacked in the last 7 years,
That would seem to be a responsability you should put on the leadership of Spain and england, not Bush.
Quote:
because of involvement in a war that Bush started.
That is an outright rewriting of history. Bush did not start the war with Iraq. It was a collective effort, and any country involved should share any blame you care to give. Laying it all on Bush is to ignore reality.
Quote:
I know many Iraqis have lived in terror
Indeed, Saddam ruled a great deal through terror.
Quote:
(as they're being terrorised by both US troops
That is a lie started by Bush's political enemies, and if you had any respect for the troops of the United states, you would not spread such ignorance and filth.
Quote:
and Iraqi militants) because of a war Bush started.
Again, see above. And the fact you would blame Bush, for Iraqi militants terrorizing Iraqi citizens doesn't even make sense. That's like saying 9/11 is Bush's fault (I realize SF suggests exactly this in the post after this one, but I'm going to ignore it for now).
Quote:
Bush supported Israel in its terrorisation of Gaza, didn't he?
I sincerely hope that you're joking here. Isreal is under a constant state of attack from Gaza. Stopping those attacks is not terrorism, it is defense from terror. Saying black is white doesn't make it so.
Quote:
Oh, you mean Americans who weren't terrorized. Because it's only terrorism if it happens to you, right?
That's one of Bush's jobs, as the leader of the country, to protect it from danger, both foreign and domestic.

Do you think I was claiming that it was Bush's job to stop all terrorism everywhere?

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

Profile Quote
sauronsfinger
Posted: Thu 22 Jan , 2009 1:17 am

Stick by your guns Crucifer.

You are 100% right. :toast:

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs. - John Rogers

Profile Quote
halplm
Posted: Thu 22 Jan , 2009 1:19 am
b77 whipping boy

sauronsfinger wrote:
Stick by your guns Crucifer.

You are 100% right. :toast:
Can't fight your own battles, eh?

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

Profile Quote
Riverthalos
Posted: Thu 22 Jan , 2009 1:23 am
bioalchemist

Speaking of snideness and sarcasm hal...

"He attacks. And here I can kill him. But I don't. That's the answer to world peace, people."
-Stickles Shihan

Profile Quote
Estel
Posted: Thu 22 Jan , 2009 1:27 am
Pure Kitsch Flavor

It's also nice to see that News Agencies are commenting on all the work he is already doing almost as much as they're commenting on his wife's choice of outfits on inaguration day ;)

Profile Quote
halplm
Posted: Thu 22 Jan , 2009 1:37 am
b77 whipping boy

Riverthalos wrote:
Speaking of snideness and sarcasm hal...
I have never claimed to avoid them. If you had read the thread that you just arbitrarily removed from its rightful place, you would have heard me say this there.

I give as well as I get, and I make no apology for it. If people are going to be snide and sarcastic to me, then I should not be singled out for returning the favor.

Profile Quote
Crucifer
Posted: Thu 22 Jan , 2009 2:07 am
A song outlasts a dynasty.

I guess some people can't see the wood for the trees.

Sleep is a death; Oh, make me try by sleeping what it is to die.

Profile Quote
halplm
Posted: Thu 22 Jan , 2009 2:09 am
b77 whipping boy

case in point.

Profile Quote
Feredir
Posted: Thu 22 Jan , 2009 2:15 am

Hal,
I'm gonna stick my nose in here for a quick second and then get out. I want to recommend, as a B77 friend and fellow conservative, to simply walk away from all of this. There is nothing you can say or do to convince the opposing views that you are correct and there is nothing they can do to change your view. Walking away is not saying that they are right or wrong or admitting defeat, it's simply realizing that you've come to an impasse. You are going to give yourself an ulcer and high blood pressure, is it worth it?

Take it this advice for what it is worth. Unfortunately, I learned this lesson a little later than I wished I had.

(Nothing in this post is meant to offend anyone and I hope no offense is taken)

freddy

halplm
Posted: Thu 22 Jan , 2009 2:18 am
b77 whipping boy

That's good advice Freddy, and a better man than I would run with it (as I did for a while).

I trust you'll understand I mean you no disrespect if I continue to voice and defend my opinion.

*I need a cap tipping smilie*

Profile Quote
Cenedril_Gildinaur
Posted: Thu 22 Jan , 2009 2:40 am

Giving Bush full credit for being attacked on 9/11 is like blaming the 10th person to run into a 10 car pile-up on the freeway for starting the 10 car pile up.

The only question in my mind is if Obama is going to be smart enough to slow down and drive around the 10 car pileup, or if he's going to be the 11th car in the pile up.

It is a myth that coercion is necessary in order to force people to get along together, but it is a persistent myth because it feeds a desire many people have. That desire is to be able to justify hurting people who have done nothing other than offend them in some way.

Last edited by Cenedril_Gildinaur on Tue Feb 30, 2026 13:61 am; edited 426 times in total

Profile Quote
Crucifer
Posted: Thu 22 Jan , 2009 2:43 am
A song outlasts a dynasty.

Quote:
Giving Bush full credit for being attacked on 9/11 is like blaming the 10th person to run into a 10 car pile-up on the freeway for starting the 10 car pile up.
But no one did that anyway, so we're all good.

Sleep is a death; Oh, make me try by sleeping what it is to die.

Profile Quote
Wilma
Posted: Thu 22 Jan , 2009 10:07 am
Takoyaki is love

Hey, just thought I wold post. A club in my school arranged a trip for some of us so i was here in he national mall or the inaguration. I am glad I went (I primarily went for my mother who had been an American politics fangirl since the age o 14, she even knew some state level politics let alone federal level). The historical moment was amazing and I got to learn some things about the American people that does not really come across on the news. Hopefully I will have time to write a report. :D Got back yesterday morning. So happy I was there although I missed Elsha. Stely I thought of you when they were playing simple gifts since I know you realy like that song.

(sorry for my bad spelling, I got really ill on the trip and I am recovering.)

Itoshiki Sensei from Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei. Avatar by: sparklessence

"There is no such thing as coincidence in this world, only hitsuzen." - Yuko Ichihara and Kimihiro Watanuki - xxxHolic

"I'm modest, I'll keep my knickers on and die!" - My sister Grace commenting on Bear Gryllis on an episode of Oprah :rofl:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Rebecca
Posted: Thu 22 Jan , 2009 12:34 pm

Sorry I missed you Wilma! Glad to hear you had fun. I really doubt walking from the Metro in such cold would have been a good idea after being sick. Not to mention dealing with the crowds on the Metro. :P

(edit: I got rid of the double post for you. :) )

[ img ]

Profile Quote
sauronsfinger
Posted: Thu 22 Jan , 2009 1:44 pm

The Gallup organization is reporting on the number of Americans who viewed or heard the President Obama Inauguration on Tuesday:

Six in 10 Americans tuned in live to the presidential inauguration ceremonies on Tuesday. Another 20% heard or read news reports of the event while 20% caught none of it.

The live audience included 70% of nonworking Americans, but also 53% of those currently employed -- suggesting that many workers either took the day off or had the opportunity to watch or hear the ceremonies at work.

Americans were clearly more interested in the inauguration of Barack Obama than they were in George W. Bush's second inauguration four years ago. In 2005, only 40% of Americans said they watched or heard the inaugural ceremonies live.

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Posted: Thu 22 Jan , 2009 2:54 pm
I've cried a thousand oceans, and I would cry a thousand more if that's what it takes to sail you home.

Estel wrote:
It's also nice to see that News Agencies are commenting on all the work he is already doing almost as much as they're commenting on his wife's choice of outfits on inaguration day ;)
I keep hearing the one dress described as gold, but it was green dammit! :pout:
halplm wrote:
*I need a cap tipping smilie*
Hot-link from Yahoo, bb. [ img ] *cough* Well, it may not be exact, but it's what I've always used for a hat-tipping emoticon.

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
Riverthalos
Posted: Thu 22 Jan , 2009 3:08 pm
bioalchemist

"Lemongrass" is what they call it now. Whatever. She looked great. If she never doesn't look great.

"He attacks. And here I can kill him. But I don't. That's the answer to world peace, people."
-Stickles Shihan

Profile Quote
ToshoftheWuffingas
Posted: Thu 22 Jan , 2009 3:49 pm
Filthy darwinian hobbit

Quote:
Between the burning of the White House by the British in the War of 1812
:cool: :devil: :horse: :razz:

:whistle:

[ img ]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos

Norwich Beer Festival 2009

Profile Quote
Ara-anna
Posted: Thu 22 Jan , 2009 3:57 pm
Daydream Believer

Wilma,
That must have been exciting :cheers: Please do share your story with us at some point. :pray:

Rio,

They had a story on the Today show that showed the First Lady in a really neat dress, very stylish and retro all at the same time. Maybe Stacy and Clinton are her style experts :D

Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in

Five seconds away from the Tetons and Yellowstone

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 7 of 9  [ 167 posts ]
Return to “The Symposium” | Jump to page « 15 6 7 8 9 »
Jump to: