The Last Homely Site on the Web

Obama's Choices

Post Reply   Page 5 of 5  [ 89 posts ]
Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 5
Ara-anna
Post subject: Re: Obama's Choices
Posted: Fri 11 Dec , 2009 12:46 am
Daydream Believer

I don't understand the anti-war people either when it comes to Obama. He clearly stated that he was taking the war to Afghanistan and Pakistan, he made no qualms against it. I have often wondered that the anti-war and right must have not been listening to the words coming out of his mouth during the campaign at all. The right and anti-war were saying he was going to let the terrorists win, they didn't hear the part where he said he was going after the terrorists where they really were at, which was not Iraq. All they heard was pull out of Iraq and that was it.

Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in

Five seconds away from the Tetons and Yellowstone

Profile Quote
sauronsfinger
Posted: Fri 11 Dec , 2009 4:14 am

"A man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest."

Paul Simon
The Boxer

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs. - John Rogers

Profile Quote
Ara-anna
Posted: Mon 28 Dec , 2009 8:10 pm
Daydream Believer

Well I could never be President.

I'd never interupt my vacation in Hawaii to talk to people about one person who tried to take down a plane.

Why doesn't any mention of the Terrorists from Saudi Arabia ever come up? Ok this guy was from Nigeria, who could or could not have ties to terror organizations in Yeman...but so far most terrorists have links to Saudi Arabia.

Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in

Five seconds away from the Tetons and Yellowstone

Profile Quote
Cenedril_Gildinaur
Posted: Fri 13 May , 2011 3:45 am

Cenedril_Gildinaur wrote:
US DOJ will not prosecute if you follow the laws of your state.
Its a start.
Quote:
The Obama administration will not seek to arrest medical marijuana users and suppliers as long as they conform to state laws, under new policy guidelines to be sent to federal prosecutors Monday.

Two Justice Department officials described the new policy to The Associated Press, saying prosecutors will be told it is not a good use of their time to arrest people who use or provide medical marijuana in strict compliance with state laws.
New Medical Marijuana Policy: Obama Administration Will Not Seek Arrests For People Following State Laws

I'm trying to remember if this is the first or second time he's done this, or if this is merely the first time it appears me may follow through on this. If he really is following through on this he's actually right in this instance and I acknowledge it.
I praised Obama on something. Time for me to eat my words.

This is an issue where Obama unequivocally promised to do the right thing, where he restated over and over his intention to do the right thing, and even had me optimistic at one point that he would do the right thing...

False Forbearance
Quote:
Two weeks ago, Washington Gov. Christine Gregoire vetoed a bill that would have clarified the rules for supplying medical marijuana in her state. She cited an April 14 letter in which Jenny Durkan and Michael Ormsby, the U.S. attorneys for Washington, threatened to prosecute not only growers and providers but also "others who knowingly facilitate" their actions, including landlords, financiers, and even state employees who license and regulate medical marijuana suppliers.

U.S. attorneys in Arizona, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Montana, Rhode Island, and Vermont have sent similar letters in recent months, discouraging some jurisdictions from proceeding with plans to establish licensed medical marijuana dispensaries. These threats, which are backed by the Justice Department, kill any lingering hopes that President Obama would keep his campaign promise to respect the medical marijuana laws that have been enacted in 15 states and the District of Columbia.

During his presidential campaign, Obama repeatedly said he would call off the Drug Enforcement Administration's raids on both medical marijuana users and their suppliers. In a March 2008 interview with southern Oregon’s Mail Tribune, he said, "I'm not going to be using Justice Department resources to try to circumvent state laws on this issue." Two weeks after Obama took office, a White House spokesman reiterated that position, saying, "The president believes that federal resources should not be used to circumvent state laws." In October 2009, David Ogden, then the deputy attorney general, sent a memo that seemed to fulfill this promise. "As a general matter," he told U.S. attorneys, they "should not focus federal resources" on "individuals whose actions are in clear and unambiguous compliance with existing state laws providing for the medical use of marijuana."

Yet the DEA's medical marijuana raids not only have continued but are more frequent under Obama than they were under George W. Bush. Americans for Safe Access (ASA), which argues that patients who can benefit from marijuana should be able to obtain it legally, counts well over 100 raids in the two years and four months since Obama's inauguration, compared to about 200 during Bush's eight years in office. "The Obama administration really is being more aggressive than the administration of his predecessor," says ASA spokesman Kris Hermes.

It is a myth that coercion is necessary in order to force people to get along together, but it is a persistent myth because it feeds a desire many people have. That desire is to be able to justify hurting people who have done nothing other than offend them in some way.

Last edited by Cenedril_Gildinaur on Tue Feb 30, 2026 13:61 am; edited 426 times in total

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Fri 13 May , 2011 12:24 pm
The Grey Amaretto as Supermega-awesome Proud Heretic Girl

That is quite interesting, CG.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Deumeawyn
Posted: Tue 22 Jan , 2013 12:16 pm

A bit of an update as Obama is sworn in for a second term, handily re-elected in November. With an obstructionist do nothing congress to "work" with, it is doubtful much change will happen. Still, the war is winding down, which means it's winding down for we Australians too. And I understand that with two states legalising marijuana, tI'm curious how the federal law enforcement will handle it.

Maiden the Shade

Profile Quote
Cenedril_Gildinaur
Posted: Tue 22 Jan , 2013 11:17 pm

Well, in 4 years he allowed to be raided more medicinal marijuana establishments than Bush Jr. did in eight years, so I'm not exactly hopeful.

Plus it seems that many in favor of legalization don't understand the benefits of allying with other supporters of the 10th amendment to the US constitution. I did a major facepalm when I read about one medicinal marijuana establishment funding a police gun buyback program.

It is a myth that coercion is necessary in order to force people to get along together, but it is a persistent myth because it feeds a desire many people have. That desire is to be able to justify hurting people who have done nothing other than offend them in some way.

Last edited by Cenedril_Gildinaur on Tue Feb 30, 2026 13:61 am; edited 426 times in total

Profile Quote
Deumeawyn
Posted: Wed 23 Jan , 2013 12:19 pm

Interesting. I have to say I'm not up on all the intricacies of U.S. politics. But it seems some states voted in some progressive ideas like legal weed and gay marriage.
There may be hope for this country yet as they watch how it plays out in the states.

Maiden the Shade

Profile Quote
Cenedril_Gildinaur
Posted: Fri 03 May , 2013 2:32 am

Landlord fights building seizure

So a landlord for what is basically an office building. He rents out offices to businesses. One of those businesses is a medicinal marijuana dispensary legal under California law.

Not content to simply shut the business down, the Obama administration is seeking to use the crime of Civil Asset Forfeiture. And the Obama administration is seeking to use it on the owner of the building.

Once upon a time, in 2008, Obama promised to respect state medicinal marijuana laws. Since then his administration has fought the drug war harder that the Bush administration ever did.

How very progressive.

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 5 of 5  [ 89 posts ]
Return to “The Symposium” | Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 5
Jump to: