The Last Homely Site on the Web

Obama's Choices

Post Reply   Page 2 of 5  [ 89 posts ]
Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 5 »
Cenedril_Gildinaur
Post subject: Re: Obama's Choices
Posted: Thu 29 Jan , 2009 10:30 pm

elfshadow wrote:
Marijuana legalization (or decriminalization) has never been on the Democratic platform, as far as I know. It's prevalent among students ;) and the more libertarian-leaning Democrats, but I don't think the majority of the Democratic party has ever supported it.
I didn't say it's a Democratic point, I said it's a progressive point. =:)

Some Democrats are progressives though.

It is a myth that coercion is necessary in order to force people to get along together, but it is a persistent myth because it feeds a desire many people have. That desire is to be able to justify hurting people who have done nothing other than offend them in some way.

Last edited by Cenedril_Gildinaur on Tue Feb 30, 2026 13:61 am; edited 426 times in total

Profile Quote
The OG Borry
Post subject: Re: Obama's Cabinet
Posted: Fri 30 Jan , 2009 2:35 am
The best things in life are not things

Location: here....<_< yeah here thats Ceres, CA for you stalkers

Cenedril_Gildinaur wrote:
She says she is. She's registered that way.

On the one hand it feeds my belief that the party divide is the mainstream versus the independents WITHIN a party, and that the mainstreams of both parties have much in common and that the independents of both parties have much in common, and the mainstreams and independents don't have much in common even in the same party.

On the other hand, an independent is unlikely to get the appointment.
Just like Ron Paul is a Republican. He's registered that way. ;)

Borry

Borry: equality works both ways cheater!
Don: so does not

So I take pictures now, check em out if you'd like. Here you go.

Profile Quote
Cenedril_Gildinaur
Posted: Fri 30 Jan , 2009 5:17 am

Touché.

It is a myth that coercion is necessary in order to force people to get along together, but it is a persistent myth because it feeds a desire many people have. That desire is to be able to justify hurting people who have done nothing other than offend them in some way.

Last edited by Cenedril_Gildinaur on Tue Feb 30, 2026 13:61 am; edited 426 times in total

Profile Quote
Feredir
Posted: Mon 02 Feb , 2009 4:30 pm

Pick number TWO that has failed to pay taxes. Where's the outcry on this? Are Obama's picks above the law?

Daschle apologizes for failing to pay taxes

WASHINGTON – Tom Daschle said Monday that he's "deeply embarrassed and disappointed" about his failure to pay more than $120,000 in taxes.

President Barack Obama's pick to head the Health and Human Services Department apologized for his mistake in a letter to the Senate Finance Committee released Monday. Daschle is expected to answer questions from the panel later in the day in a closed session.

Daschle said he profoundly regrets the errors that the committee has had to deal with and he is willing to answer any questions.

The committee reported that Daschle recently filed amended tax returns to reflect $128,203 in back taxes and $11,964 in interest.

It remains to be seen whether the tax issue will stall or derail Daschle's nomination. But Sen. Max Baucus, D-Mon., chairman of the Senate Finance Committee, issued a statement supporting Daschle's confirmation.

"I have applauded Senator Daschle's nomination to the post of HHS secretary, and my faith in his dedication and qualifications has only been bolstered in recent weeks by our numerous conversations about the pressing need for comprehensive health care reform," Baucus said in the statement Monday. "The ability to advance meaningful health reform is my top priority in confirming a Secretary of Health and Human Services, and I remain convinced that Senator Daschle would be an invaluable and expert partner in this effort. I am eager to move forward together."

jewelsong
Posted: Mon 02 Feb , 2009 4:36 pm
Just keep singin'!

Feredir wrote:
Pick number TWO that has failed to pay taxes. Where's the outcry on this? Are Obama's picks above the law?
This seems to be a bi-partisan issue. I can't remember a time when some elected or proposed official didn't have some kind of problem with their taxes. Republican, Democrat, Independent....it seems to come up frequently, in both parties.

I don't think it's deliberate tax evasion. I think it's basically a disconnect from reality. I can't imagine making that much money in a YEAR, never mind owing it in taxes.

As far as outrage...well, you know, if the times were less hazardous and crazy, people might be able to summon the energy to be outraged at non-payment of taxes. But I think people are so upset about larger issues that this just isn't going to make much of a stir.

Should they? I don't know. At this point, I don't care whether he paid his taxes or not, if he can get done what needs to be done.

Profile Quote
Feredir
Posted: Mon 02 Feb , 2009 4:56 pm

I'm sorry, Lali and I have never taken our taxes lightly and "simply a mistake" or "we didn't realize." Bull, he knew what he was doing and if he didn't shame on him. He, and the other pick, knew what they were doing and trying to get away with something.

freddy

jewelsong
Posted: Mon 02 Feb , 2009 5:00 pm
Just keep singin'!

You are probably right.

But I just can't muster the energy to care about it that much at this point. Too much other shit going on...

And I think others feel the same. That's why the lack of "outrage."

Profile Quote
Cenedril_Gildinaur
Posted: Mon 02 Feb , 2009 7:48 pm

Well, there was concern about the choice of Sen. Gregg (R-NH) for Sec. of Commerce.

Some said that this may be an enlightened move, because it shows Obama is willing to work with people of any party if they have something to bring to the table. Others said that this is cynial because the Governor of New Hampshire is a Democrat and would appoint a Democrat, bringing the Senate to 60 members.

Heard on NPR today, the appointment is enlightened. The promise is that Gregg's replacement would be a Republican if he accepts the appointment.

To bad for the cynical, smash the hated other party because we hate disagreement, victory at all costs types. Enlightenment won out.

Profile Quote
Cenedril_Gildinaur
Posted: Fri 20 Mar , 2009 4:47 am

This was just tasteless.

Obama on His Bowling Skills: 'Like the Special Olympics'

Democrats seem to get a free pass on making jokes about the handicapped. I remember when Al Gore referred to the "Extra Chromosome wing of the Republican Party".

I don't care if Obama is now the glorious leader, send me to the retraining camp because I think this was despicable.

Profile Quote
sauronsfinger
Posted: Fri 20 Mar , 2009 10:43 am

One of my favorite plays is a romantic comedy by William Shakespeare set in Messina, Sicily. The story concerns a pair of lovers named Claudio and Hero who are due to be married in a week. To pass the time before their wedding day they conspire with Don Pedro, the prince of Aragon, to trick their friends, Beatrice and Benedick, into confessing their love for one another. The prince's illegitimate brother Don John, however, jealous of both Don Pedro's power and his affection for Claudio, plans to sabotage the coming wedding.

Its name: MUCH ADO ABUT NOTHING.

As a teacher I sometimes taught children with special needs. I sometimes volunteered working at the Special Olympics. I have both donated and raised funds for the Special Olympics. This feigned outrage at President Obama is selective political correctness which has at its goal the eventual destruction of the man and his programs. CNN reported this morning that the official spokesperson for the Special Olympics had no comment on the flap. You would thing if this was a legitimate issue for outrage that they would be the loudest and most critical voice.

This was not written by Shakespeare... but it fits the occassion.

As you ramble on through life,
Whatever be your goal,
Keep your eye upon the doughnut
And not upon the hole.

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs. - John Rogers

Profile Quote
Feredir
Posted: Fri 20 Mar , 2009 10:59 pm

And still today if you mention Dan Quayle all you hear about is how he misspelled a certain vegetable..... hypocritical, yes. Silly, yes.

freddy

jewelsong
Posted: Sat 21 Mar , 2009 8:28 am
Just keep singin'!

The best reaction I saw about Obama's remark and resulting bru-ha-ha was a comment at the end of a news story - "OMG! He said something stupid! He should RESIGN!"

It was a dumb thing to say. It was not "despicable" for Pete's sake. It was just a dumb thing to say on the Leno show. And I bet he knew it as soon as the words were out of his mouth.

On the other hand, the Special Olympics have become sort of a sacred cow and no one is allowed to question their purpose or benefit. - even if they may be an idea whose time has now passed.

Freddy, I agree that the flap about Dan Quayle's misspelling of "potato" was similarly blown up out of proportion. However, I must say, that if he'd done anything in the least bit memorable, he would not be remembered solely for that silly event.

Profile Quote
Feredir
Posted: Sat 21 Mar , 2009 8:01 pm

Resign, that's just stupid. I hate idiots!

I agree, if he could have done something else. Simply making the point about how somethings get blown out of proportion simply for political gains.

freddy

jewelsong
Posted: Sat 21 Mar , 2009 8:42 pm
Just keep singin'!

Feredir wrote:
Resign, that's just stupid. I hate idiots!
The commenter was being facetious...it wasn't meant seriously; more like a commentary on how people (and the media!) were totally over-reacting to a silly gaffe.
Quote:
I agree, if he could have done something else.
Quayle was just such a political light-weight that anytime he made a gaffe, it was fodder for...well, almost anything. I recently re-watched the debate where Lloyd Bensten told him "You're no Jack Kennedy" to see if my recollection of Quayle's almost tearful reaction was accurate. It was. Guy was in way over his head.

Profile Quote
Cenedril_Gildinaur
Posted: Sun 29 Mar , 2009 3:19 pm

This really pisses me off. I voted on this on his online "townhall" website, and I'm pretty sure it was the #1 issue voted on, which is the ability of the legalization of marijuana to stimulate the economy. Obama simply dismissed it questioning the "online audience." Who the heck is he discrediting? His own online poll? FOX News? Here's the clip and what Ron Paul and some Harvard professor have to say about it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GXQ4xSgIuY

Profile Quote
yovargas
Posted: Sun 29 Mar , 2009 3:28 pm

I heard that on NPR. I don't think they said it was #1 but it was pretty high. His dismissal irritated me but it wasn't exactly surprising.

Profile Quote
Cenedril_Gildinaur
Posted: Sun 29 Mar , 2009 3:30 pm

One step forward, two steps back . . .

Anyone want to guess if there's any area where Obama might genuinely support less governmental intrusion on liberty?

Profile Quote
sauronsfinger
Posted: Sun 26 Apr , 2009 9:55 pm

The choices President Obama is making seem to be garnering a record level of support among the American people.
Quote:
http://thinkprogress.org/2009/04/26/oba ... days-poll/" target="_blank

Poll: 69 percent approve of Obama, highest ‘right track’ numbers in six years.
An ABC News poll released this morning shows that a vast majority -- 69 percent -- of Americans approve of President Obama and 72 percent view him favorably, "the best job approval rating at this point in 20 years, [and] the broadest personal popularity since Ronald Reagan." Fifty percent now say the United States is headed in the right direction, up 31 points since the end of the Bush administration, when only 19 percent thought the country was on the right track. Other figures from the poll:

-- "Fifty-eight percent approve of Obama's work on the economy."

-- "Obama leads the Republicans in Congress in trust to handle the economy by a garish 61-24 percent."

-- "A remarkable 90 percent say Obama is 'willing to listen to different points of view'; fewer than half said that about George W. Bush."

-- Seventy-seven "percent call Obama a strong leader, nearly matching Bush's best a few months after 9/11."

A majority supported Obama's decision to release the torture memos, but only 49 percent support his blanket ban on torture. That said, a majority still favors holding investigations into the Bush administration's use of torture.

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs. - John Rogers

Profile Quote
TheEllipticalDisillusion
Posted: Sun 26 Apr , 2009 10:25 pm
Insolent Pup

I think Obama is setting himself up to be a popular, and potentially successful president. We'll see about the latter.

His comment about the special olympics was hilarious. Fuck PC culture.

The 11/3 Project

Profile Quote
Lidless
Posted: Mon 27 Apr , 2009 12:33 am
Als u het leven te ernstig neemt, mist u de betekenis.

Let's be clear about one thing. Every single decision made by a new president is geared towards being elected for a second term. That's where the legacy and unpopular, tough decisions are made.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 2 of 5  [ 89 posts ]
Return to “The Symposium” | Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 5 »
Jump to: