The era of bipartisanship

Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 17 posts ]
halplm
Post subject: The era of bipartisanship
Posted: Fri 23 Jan , 2009 6:42 pm
b77 whipping boy

Not off to a very good start...

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0109/17862.html" target="_blank

Apparently, "bipartisan" means ignoring everyone that disagrees.

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

Profile Quote
sauronsfinger
Post subject: Re: The era of bipartisanship
Posted: Fri 23 Jan , 2009 7:29 pm

What do you think it means?

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs. - John Rogers

Profile Quote
halplm
Posted: Fri 23 Jan , 2009 8:34 pm
b77 whipping boy

Well, it's definition of course, comeing from "two parties."

Clearly Obama is only doing what he wants to do, and ignoring dissenting opinion. Perfectly within his right to do, of course.

It's just not what he's said he would do.

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

Profile Quote
sauronsfinger
Posted: Fri 23 Jan , 2009 8:37 pm

So what do you think it means?

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs. - John Rogers

Profile Quote
Alatar
Posted: Fri 23 Jan , 2009 8:40 pm
of Vinyamar

Ok, I've had enough. As an ordinary member I'm asking that the Rangers consider suspending posting rights for both SF and Hal in the Symposium until they BOTH agree to act like grown ups.

[ img ]
These are my friends, see how they glisten...

Profile Quote
ToshoftheWuffingas
Posted: Fri 23 Jan , 2009 8:45 pm
Filthy darwinian hobbit

I read that and I never got the impression during the campaign that Obama said he would follow Republican policies when in power. Do you expect him to? I doubt if his voters expect him to. I would think a bi partisan approach is trying to find areas where you can agree with your opponents, not simply do what they tell you to do. I believe he has appointed Republicans to roles in his government. At least he seems far more bi-partisan than his predecessor.
He's his own man.

[ img ]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos

Norwich Beer Festival 2009

Profile Quote
halplm
Posted: Fri 23 Jan , 2009 8:53 pm
b77 whipping boy

Yes, finding areas you can agree, not ignoring the concerns of the other side, and saying "I won" so we're doing it my way.

Profile Quote
Dave_LF
Posted: Fri 23 Jan , 2009 9:05 pm
You are hearing me talk

But that's still what you're left with when there's no solution that will please everyone. He's gone to extraordinary lengths to include his opponents in his cabinet and proceedings so far, even to the point of angering his own supporters.

Profile Quote
halplm
Posted: Fri 23 Jan , 2009 9:08 pm
b77 whipping boy

The doesn't have to be a solution that pleases everyone to be working together. You do have to actually work together to be working together, and not just pay it lip service.

Profile Quote
ToshoftheWuffingas
Posted: Fri 23 Jan , 2009 9:14 pm
Filthy darwinian hobbit

So any time he does things that his opponents disagree with he will be called a hypocrite. He isn't going to win this one then is he?

[ img ]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos

Norwich Beer Festival 2009

Profile Quote
sauronsfinger
Posted: Fri 23 Jan , 2009 9:17 pm

Alatar - I am asking the question because so far we do not know what Halplm thinks the word means to him. I cannot either agree with him or disagree with him until I find out what HE thinks it means.

When I asked the first time, he wouldonly say that it comes from two parties. His answer said nothing more than that.

I think this is a very fair question. Very fair.

Profile Quote
halplm
Posted: Fri 23 Jan , 2009 9:19 pm
b77 whipping boy

having tought in the area of the subject for 34 years, I simply assumed that you knew what the word meant.

Profile Quote
Feredir
Posted: Fri 23 Jan , 2009 9:19 pm

First, I found this very funny:

“How can you spend hundreds of millions of dollars on contraceptives?” Boehner asked. “How does that stimulate the economy?” :LMAO:

Hal, what do you expect? When there is a new boss there is always going to be some muscle flexing, regardless of party affiliation. You also have to establish that you are in charge so when a decision has to be made everyone involved knows that it is final. Don't make more out of this then there is to it. I make this statement based on my experience as a supervisor.

Now with Pelosi and Ried doing it, that concerns me because they have gained no power as they hold the same positions that they had before.

freddy

halplm
Posted: Fri 23 Jan , 2009 9:22 pm
b77 whipping boy

Oh, it's certainly what I expected... just not a good start to the whole "change" concept.

Profile Quote
Ara-anna
Posted: Fri 23 Jan , 2009 10:17 pm
Daydream Believer

It is change, just not the one you want.

Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in

Five seconds away from the Tetons and Yellowstone

Profile Quote
sauronsfinger
Posted: Fri 23 Jan , 2009 10:21 pm

Hal - it is your thread.
Obviously the word BIPARTISAN Means something to you. The fact that I taught government for 34 years means nothing to what the word means to you.

Many words mean one thing to me and a very different thing to others.

I think it is a fair question.

Profile Quote
TheEllipticalDisillusion
Posted: Fri 23 Jan , 2009 11:18 pm
Insolent Pup

Bush ignored his opponents after campaigning about how he would reach across the aisle in 2004. Obama isn't ignoring Republicans, but the winning side usually gets it's way more after an election. Obama has included Republicans in the government, but some people really do think that for Obama to be bipartisan, he needs to implement Republican policies. That makes no sense because he is a Democrat.

The 11/3 Project

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 17 posts ]
Return to “The Symposium”
Jump to: