Palin to Write Campaign book

Post Reply   Page 2 of 2  [ 34 posts ]
Jump to page « 1 2
Lurker
Post subject: Re: Palin to Write Campaign book
Posted: Sat 24 Jan , 2009 6:44 pm

Alatar wrote:
Lurker wrote:
Princess has already burned all her Hillary Clinton books after she accepted the role of Secretary of State.

Why?
If I give you her reason for doing that, it will start a discussion in which I would not be able to defend her reason for doing so. :)

Caution...You are entering the NO SPIN ZONE.

Profile Quote
Lurker
Posted: Sat 24 Jan , 2009 6:53 pm

elfshadow wrote:
Well, sure he might have. :scratch: But someone commented that she might be a better writer than speaker, and I was just pointing out that she may not even be writing it at all. I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing to have someone else ghostwrite your book.
I was the one who said that since you pointed out that some politicians ghost write. She graduated with a degree in journalism so I am expecting she would write this. What's the use of having a degree and not using it, it's like getting a law degree and not having appeared in court. Mock trials in law school doesn't count.

Profile Quote
elfshadow
Posted: Sun 25 Jan , 2009 4:21 pm
Kill the headlights and put it in neutral

Plenty of people don't use their degrees for crap after they graduate. ;) Ask any person here what their degree was in and what their current career is and I'll bet that at least 50% of the time (if not more) the two are entirely different. Undergraduate degrees are very different from grad school or law school degrees in that respect. I'm not saying that she absolutely won't write her own book, I'm saying it's a common practice for many famous people to have their books ghostwritten, and I would not be surprised if Sarah Palin was simply following this same path. As I said, I don't think it's a bad thing. But I think it's certainly not out of the question.

Profile Quote
Axordil
Posted: Wed 28 Jan , 2009 6:20 pm
Not so deep as a well

Barack Obama wrote Dreams from my Father and The Audacity of Hope himself. Ill-founded partisan attempts to demonstrate otherwise went nowhere. When you see hoofprints, looking for a horse will generally be more productive than looking for a unicorn.

One assumes Gov. Palin's tome will come with the requisite number of Pop-Ups.

Destiny is a rhythm track on which we must improvise.

In some cases, firing the drummer helps.

Profile Quote
vison
Posted: Wed 28 Jan , 2009 11:05 pm
Best friends forever

I understand that many TV presenters are called "journalists", but that sure as hell doesn't mean they are "writers".

Living on Earth is expensive,
but it does include a free trip
around the sun every year.

Profile Quote
Lurker
Posted: Thu 29 Jan , 2009 1:42 am

Yes, TV presenters are not journalists but she graduated with a degree in Communications-Journalism. I'm pretty sure "writing" courses are prerequisites for getting that degree.

I don't care if Obama wrote his books since I have no plans on buying them in this lifetime. :blackeye:

Profile Quote
vison
Posted: Thu 29 Jan , 2009 4:46 am
Best friends forever

Good heavens, no! Why take a chance on learning something? :devil:

Living on Earth is expensive,
but it does include a free trip
around the sun every year.

Profile Quote
Lurker
Posted: Thu 29 Jan , 2009 5:40 am

Learning what? He's an open book already since he's on TV 24/7, unfortunately. :)

Profile Quote
Feredir
Posted: Thu 29 Jan , 2009 2:42 pm

Lurker wrote:
Learning what? He's an open book already since he's on TV 24/7, unfortunately. :)
:rofl: , now that's funny.

freddy

Faramond
Posted: Thu 29 Jan , 2009 5:34 pm
Digger

I don't think Palin could write a book that I would find compelling.

Maybe someone else could write a compelling book based on her notes and stories of the campaign. But the book would have to be true to be worthwhile, and that is not likely if Palin controls the story told in the book. The story of her campaign is a negative one. She was a failure, except to a minority of people who adore her. If the book is directed to them, then it is propaganda. A book about her can't ignore her many failings, and I suspect it would. I think she would turn the criticism against her into an anti-elitist badge of honor. But the truth is that she wasn't qualified. It is sad that McCain chose her.

Profile Quote
ellienor
Posted: Thu 29 Jan , 2009 6:55 pm

Speaking of Obama's books, I read the most recent one (dealing with his political philosophies) and was amazed at all the rhetoric about what a far-left guy he was. Obviously not many opponents of his read his book. :) Including my law firm. My boss ws seriously worried about his 401(k) being nationalized. Now Obama is putting in all sorts of concessions into the stimulus bill to try to help it be palatable to Republicans (who he doesn't even need, anyways) because bipartisanship is very important to him, and he deplored the atmosphere in Washington when the Republicans held the White House and Congress.

I agree that a book authored by Sarah Palin might not be of great interest initially to me, but if she set forth her political philosophies and had some introspection on her failures, I would consider reading it. Obama's book had that.

Profile Quote
Axordil
Posted: Thu 29 Jan , 2009 10:15 pm
Not so deep as a well

Dreams from my Father is a good read, and not overtly political. It's the story of a man with a very strained, strange childhood who managed, with the help of some strong family members, to pull himself together to become a remarkable human being. I enjoy reading the memoirs of the self-aware. It would be worth reading even if he had decided to stay a professor of constitutional law.

The Audacity of Hope is a political thesis, and so I find it less interesting.

Destiny is a rhythm track on which we must improvise.

In some cases, firing the drummer helps.

Profile Quote
ellienor
Posted: Thu 29 Jan , 2009 10:58 pm

Dreams from my Father was quite interesting up to when he went to Africa to meet his family. For some reason that section for me dragged. He also almost entirely omitted any treatment of race in his dating relationships and deciding to marry Michelle. But that's fine, his choice, but I think that would have been interesting to have at least some treatment.

Profile Quote
Lidless
Posted: Sat 31 Jan , 2009 2:31 pm
Als u het leven te ernstig neemt, mist u de betekenis.

I actually have an autographed book by Palin - Michael Palin, that is.

Perhaps Sarah can write a campaign book with the same name - Poll To Poll.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 2 of 2  [ 34 posts ]
Return to “The Symposium” | Jump to page « 1 2
Jump to: