board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

Obama voters purged from Hunting safety class

Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 16 posts ]
sauronsfinger
Post subject: Obama voters purged from Hunting safety class
Posted: Sat 07 Mar , 2009 8:09 pm

This is really bizarre.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article. ... irte948209" target="_blank" target="_blank
Quote:
Hunter safety instructor removed after ordering 'liberals' from class

Lane Dunkley
By RANDY KREHBIEL World Staff Writer
Published: 3/6/2009 1:31 PM
Last Modified: 3/6/2009 7:31 PM

Thirteen-year-old Lane Dunkley just wanted to go hunting with his grandfather.

What he got was a lecture on politics.

Dunkley and his father Daniel Reddy, who live in Tulsa, went to Broken Arrow Tuesday night for a hunter safety course normally required to get an Oklahoma hunting license.

The class was a reward of sorts. Dunkley, who wants to go hunting with his aging grandfather, was told he could only if he brought his grades up.

So he did - to a B-plus average.

But when father and son arrived at the lesson, the volunteer instructor, Kell Wolf, asked if any of the students voted for President Obama.

Reddy, a transplanted Californian - and ex-Marine - raised his hand.

According to Reddy and others in the room, Wolf called Obama “the next thing to the Anti-Christ” and ordered Reddy and Dunkley from the room. When Reddy refused, Wolf said he would not teach “liberals” and would cancel the course if Reddy didn’t leave.

So Reddy and Dunkley left, as did a few others.

Lance Meek, hunter education coordinator for the Oklahoma Department of Wildlife Conservation, said Wolf had been a volunteer instructor for “a long time, probably 15 years or more” and “from what we’ve heard and observed, had always done a great job. He worked with the kids really well.”

But when Meek received a call Wednesday morning - from someone other than the Reddys - he said he had no choice.

“I got the call at 8:30, and by 9 o’clock (Wolf) was no longer a volunteer for us," Meek said.

Contacted Friday, Wolf had no comment on the matter. Meek said when he talked briefly to Wolf on Wednesday, Wolf did not deny ordering Reddy from the class or offer an explanation.

Stacy Reddy, Daniel Reddy’s wife and Lane Dunkley’s mother, said the family was surprised by how quickly the Wildlife Department acted.

“Lance Meek called and apologized up and down and wanted to know what they could do to make it right,” she said. “The only thing we really wanted was for my son to be able to take the hunter safety course, and there wasn’t another one in the Tulsa area with an opening for the rest of 2009.”

So Meek arranged for a private class.

Read more of this story in tomorrow's Tulsa World.
By RANDY KREHBIEL World Staff Writer

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs. - John Rogers

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Post subject: Re: Obama voters purged from Hunting safety class
Posted: Sat 07 Mar , 2009 8:19 pm
The Grey Amaretto as Supermega-awesome Proud Heretic Girl

That is truly bizarre. :scratch:

I took Ohio's hunters' safety course, studying at home, then going to the local district headquarters to take the actual test. Katie took hers in a class last year. I think Freddy wants Sarah to take hers in a class this year. But, my gosh, I wouldn't expect politics to enter to anything anywhere.

The DNR did the right thing here. Sad and weird.

(Honestly, wouldn't you want to encourage the few liberals out there who hunt? ;) )

ETA: Welcome back to the Symp, sf. :)

[ img ]

Profile Quote
sauronsfinger
Posted: Sat 07 Mar , 2009 10:31 pm

Thank you Lalaith.

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs. - John Rogers

Profile Quote
Ara-anna
Posted: Sat 07 Mar , 2009 11:15 pm
Daydream Believer

Lali,

There are a few more liberals out there that do own guns and hunt. ;)

And this is exactly what is wrong with this country. The right pointing out the hole in the left side of the boat and vice versa....We are all in the same frakin boat people, time to stop this type of crapola and figure out how to fix the damn thing. We need less partisan retoric or we all fail and go down.

What the hell happened to the UNITED part of this country? United we Stand Divided we Fall. Well this idiot is exactly why we are going to fall and fall hard as a nation. If this retoric continues, we as a nation are done.

Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in

Five seconds away from the Tetons and Yellowstone

Profile Quote
Cenedril_Gildinaur
Posted: Sun 08 Mar , 2009 2:47 am

According to the article, the teacher has already been removed from the class. Where's the story?

It is a myth that coercion is necessary in order to force people to get along together, but it is a persistent myth because it feeds a desire many people have. That desire is to be able to justify hurting people who have done nothing other than offend them in some way.

Last edited by Cenedril_Gildinaur on Tue Feb 30, 2026 13:61 am; edited 426 times in total

Profile Quote
Rebecca
Posted: Sun 08 Mar , 2009 3:04 am

So because he's already been removed we can't talk about it and what we think about it? :confused:

Anyway.
I know it's a volunteer class and everything, but still he shouldn't even be bringing it up. When I was teaching we were taught right from the start to not even bring up things that could possibly be considered trying to sway kids to whatever we believed. Even little things such as saying "gesundheit" or "bless you" instead of "God bless you" when someone sneezes. When I was just out of college, I was randomly given a book to read to a group of preschoolers that I taught. You always want to say something to lead into the book and something for the kids to listen to while you're reading. Since it was an Easter book, I said "Do you color Easter eggs?" Now, right after I said it I realized that it wasn't the best phrasing, and indeed a parent who overheard me complained that I didn't say something less judgmental, like "Do any of you color Easter eggs?" Seems like it would be in the teacher's best interest to just shut up and not even bring it up, but I guess if he feels that strongly about it he has to be prepared to face the consequences.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Wilma
Posted: Sun 08 Mar , 2009 3:27 am
Takoyaki is love

I don't understand how Obama is the anti-christ. Is it because he is Black or is it because he's a Democrat or because although he is Christian some people still want to believe he is Muslim?

I could say things about Bush but I will not.

Itoshiki Sensei from Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei. Avatar by: sparklessence

"There is no such thing as coincidence in this world, only hitsuzen." - Yuko Ichihara and Kimihiro Watanuki - xxxHolic

"I'm modest, I'll keep my knickers on and die!" - My sister Grace commenting on Bear Gryllis on an episode of Oprah :rofl:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
vison
Posted: Sun 08 Mar , 2009 5:11 am
Best friends forever

People who say Obama is the anti-Christ are just very stupid people, Wilma. It is one thing to oppose the man in the political sense, but to start yammering about the anti-Christ just betrays a level of ignorance and malice and stupidity that boggles the mind.

Mr. Obama is an American Christian.

If morons want to imagine otherwise, who can stop them?

Living on Earth is expensive,
but it does include a free trip
around the sun every year.

Profile Quote
Lidless
Posted: Sun 08 Mar , 2009 7:36 am
Als u het leven te ernstig neemt, mist u de betekenis.

Cenedril_Gildinaur wrote:
According to the article, the teacher has already been removed from the class. Where's the story?
Good point. I'll never go and bother watching a movie based on real life events ever again. I'll never read a news article about someone sentenced to prison because it's over.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Cenedril_Gildinaur
Posted: Mon 09 Mar , 2009 5:45 pm

It just seems like a big to-do over not much of anything. I mean basing a movie on real life events usually involves those events being somewhat important. I remember the movie about the baby that was dropped in a well by her siblings, but that was a pretty big event.

Imagine a movie about a day that nothing important happened at all.

Well, the naturalists think that makes for good literature, but I never thought that.

It is a myth that coercion is necessary in order to force people to get along together, but it is a persistent myth because it feeds a desire many people have. That desire is to be able to justify hurting people who have done nothing other than offend them in some way.

Last edited by Cenedril_Gildinaur on Tue Feb 30, 2026 13:61 am; edited 426 times in total

Profile Quote
jewelsong
Posted: Mon 09 Mar , 2009 6:42 pm
Just keep singin'!

It just seems like a big to-do over not much of anything.
It's not a big to-do. It's a small little messageboard discussion.

Profile Quote
sauronsfinger
Posted: Mon 09 Mar , 2009 7:13 pm

Imagine the most successful TV show of the entire 1990's decade about .... nothing. ;)

Showing blatant discrimination by a denial of services and education against persons because their poltical views and voting record is different then yours is hardly insignificant.

The Freedom of the Press to report such things is one of our most cherished liberties.

Profile Quote
Cenedril_Gildinaur
Posted: Mon 09 Mar , 2009 7:15 pm

If he hadn't gotten fired for it, then yes it would be hardly insignificant. But this is this, this is not something else.

Profile Quote
sauronsfinger
Posted: Mon 09 Mar , 2009 7:31 pm

So the only stories worth reporting on are the ones that have not been concluded? You can only report on stories that are ongoing and continuing?

Anyone concerned about political liberty should care about such abuses.

There are always people who do not want to see certain stories or events get any publicity because they believe it reflects badly on their own idealogy and agenda. Its a good thing that we have an independent and free press to make such decisions.

Profile Quote
Cenedril_Gildinaur
Posted: Mon 09 Mar , 2009 7:43 pm

It's nice that you can read my mind and tell everyone that for some reason I don't want this story reported, and that you can read my mind and say my reason is ideological. Even I was unaware of those "facts" that you made up on the spot.

The press can report "dog on rollerskates" stories all they want, but the rest of us can say "yeah, so what?"

Profile Quote
jewelsong
Posted: Mon 09 Mar , 2009 7:47 pm
Just keep singin'!

but the rest of us can say "yeah, so what?"
Which you do so well. Now could the rest of us talk about the story? Since you're not interested, you don't need to comment.

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 16 posts ]
Return to “The Symposium”
Jump to: