board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

FOX launches rightwing vent site

Post Reply   Page 1 of 2  [ 39 posts ]
Jump to page 1 2 »
sauronsfinger
Post subject: FOX launches rightwing vent site
Posted: Mon 30 Mar , 2009 6:19 pm

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... on/columns" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank

FOX News has taken their anti-Obama administration crusade to a new level. Today they debuted an internet site where people can post rants against all the forces of liberal evil that they believe are destroying this nation.
a small portion
Quote:
"It's Time to Say NO to Biased Media and Say YES to Fair Play and Free Speech."

Biased media are in the eye of the beholder, and with a site built around such high-decibel stars as Sean Hannity and Glenn Beck, Fox is hoping to leverage its brand online, especially among conservative true believers. "We felt that giving people a real destination to go and express themselves would give them a feeling of belonging," says Senior Vice President Joel Cheatwood. "People feel they're dictated to a lot by the media."

The launch comes as Fox News Channel is touting its aggressive approach to the Obama administration, which has led to rising ratings after eight years in which the network's top commentators often sided with the Bush White House.
And this comes at the same time US House of Representatives member Michelle Bachmann of Minnesotta is calling a new revolution among her rightwing supporters.
Quote:
Michelle Bachman (R-MN) has ramped up her calls for a revolution against the government of the United States by misquoting Thomas Jefferson, "It’s like Thomas Jefferson said, a revolution every now and then is a good thing." What Jefferson actually said was "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
that was from buzzflash.com

The rabbit hole is getting very wide and very deep.

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs. - John Rogers

Profile Quote
Eruname
Post subject: Re: FOX launches rightwing vent site
Posted: Tue 31 Mar , 2009 2:11 pm
Islanded in a Stream of Stars

sauronsfinger wrote:
And this comes at the same time US House of Representatives member Michelle Bachmann of Minnesotta is calling a new revolution among her rightwing supporters.
Quote:
Michelle Bachman (R-MN) has ramped up her calls for a revolution against the government of the United States by misquoting Thomas Jefferson, "It’s like Thomas Jefferson said, a revolution every now and then is a good thing." What Jefferson actually said was "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
Isn't that kinda what already in November...just a few months ago? People were sick of the policies of the last 8 years, banded together and did something about it. Obama's been President for a little over 2 months, he's already destroying America and it's time for a revolution? Give me a frakking break. I'm so sick of the hypocritical Rush-Limbaugh-type conservatives I keep seeing on TV.

Abandon this fleeting world
abandon yourself.
Then the moon and flowers
will guide you along the way.

-Ryokan

http://wanderingthroughmiddleearth.blogspot.com/

Profile Quote
Ara-anna
Posted: Tue 31 Mar , 2009 2:22 pm
Daydream Believer

Eru,

Me and you both. Rush is the guy who is saying there is a hole in the boat, that Obama ran the boat into the iceberg and that GWB had nothing to do with any of it. :roll: :roll: :roll: The thing Rush and his budies fail to realize is we are all on the same frakin' boat. They like to piss and moan but fail to do anything but piss and moan and offer more tax breaks for the richest 1%.

I, myself am still waiting for some of that money to trickle my way. :weed:

And Glen Beck is a frakin fruit loop, and I have no idea how he is on any broadcast station. And no Glen soilders don't actually wear the Metal of Honor on their uniforms, they wear the ribbon.

Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in

Five seconds away from the Tetons and Yellowstone

Profile Quote
Nienor SharkAttack
Posted: Tue 31 Mar , 2009 2:53 pm

"A frakin fruit loop"..?

Sorry. :LMAO:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Feredir
Posted: Tue 31 Mar , 2009 5:42 pm

I don't see what the big deal is. If you don't want to view it then don't go to the site. I don't agree with PETA, or any other animal rights group, so I don't go there. I won't visit the Fox site either because I don't feel like getting dragged down.

There are plenty of sites out there for each side to voice their gripes, what's one more?

freddy

sauronsfinger
Posted: Tue 31 Mar , 2009 6:06 pm

Freddy... it is a sign of the times.... the fracturing of our larger culture into smaller sects or sub-cultures that live in a bubble and attempt to keep all others at bay. I went on the site and participated in a discussion about Alaska Governor Palin. It was like I was from one planet and these other folks were from a different planet altogether. One one hand it was scary - on the other hand it made me feel great that these folks would nominate Palin in 2012.

So now we have a TV channel for folks who only want their news slanted one way and an internet site which takes it even further. Perfectly legal and nothing immoral about it. But at what societal cost?

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs. - John Rogers

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Posted: Tue 31 Mar , 2009 6:08 pm

sauronsfinger wrote:
But at what societal cost?
$99.99

[ img ]

Profile Quote
TheEllipticalDisillusion
Posted: Tue 31 Mar , 2009 7:20 pm
Insolent Pup

MH, don't forget -1 economy.

It's nice that FOX news wants to create this site. Go for it, fellas. You have that right. Unfortunately, the Limbaugh wing of the GOP runs the risk of fracturing the party even more. A lot of people are supposedly getting behind this blog that Megan McCain is posting, and her style of conservatism is not in line with the Limbaugh-Coulter-Hannity crowd.

I listened to Karl Rove on the radio yesterday at a rally (it sounded like a rally, could have been bad reception) calling for democracy in action, and that the people were tricked in the election despite the fact that they exercised their democracy. It's fun to watch these neo-con idiots crying about their loss of power, as if they didn't have 8 years to ruin the country already.

The 11/3 Project

Profile Quote
Ara-anna
Posted: Tue 31 Mar , 2009 7:26 pm
Daydream Believer

MariaHobbit wrote:
sauronsfinger wrote:
But at what societal cost?
$99.99

And if you call during the commercial we'll throw in a Sham Wow and a Snuggie for free.

Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in

Five seconds away from the Tetons and Yellowstone

Profile Quote
sauronsfinger
Posted: Tue 31 Mar , 2009 8:02 pm

TED --- hey welcome back ... you were missed. And just in time for the hockey playoffs too.
Of course, the Wings win again ... but you probably knew that. :cool:

ten bucks for a shamwow.... pretty good deal ... does that come with a set of premium Ginseu carving knives and all the gospel music ever recorded?

Profile Quote
TheEllipticalDisillusion
Posted: Tue 31 Mar , 2009 8:26 pm
Insolent Pup

Speaking of the Wings, how'd you like that shutout at home against the worst team in the league? :halo: I'm rooting for a Bruins (or Caps) - Sharks tilt. The Caps won't make it all the way unfortunately no matter what Alexander the Great does. I will be damned if I have to see another Red Wings cup victory. :P (Sorry, I was a big Avs fan back when Patrick Roy played for them.)

The 11/3 Project

Profile Quote
Feredir
Posted: Tue 31 Mar , 2009 8:41 pm

SF, it's perspective. There are many times on here that I feel like I am on a different planet. These fractures you are speaking of have been around for a long time. You simply didn't see them because the fractures were supporting your point of view, this one doesn't. This time last year the sites were about disliking Bush and his cabinet. Now it's another group that is saying they dislike the president. Simply a change in who is the subject, that's all.

freddy

vison
Posted: Tue 31 Mar , 2009 9:03 pm
Best friends forever

The worst thing about this is the complete lack of real dialogue. These websites, and radio and TV programs, whether "right" or "left" do not encourage dialogue or communication and they actually deepen the divides between various "sides". This is not some theory of mine, but is in fact the most recent finding by those who study the subject.

It's very sad. When people hear only one point of view they very quickly become convinced that it is the only right point of view. "Right" as in "correct".

If everyone, now and again, deliberately sought out those who disagree with him, and listened, and tried to communicate, it would be a better thing, would it not?

For instance, I once listened for a few minutes to this Limbaugh person. I was really shocked. I mean, really shocked. Not exaggerating, not saying "really" as in, "a little bit", but really shocked. There is, thankfully, no such person in Canada with a powerful radio network behind him. There could be - there is no law against it - but so far we have avoided that horrible contagion.

It is not just that I disagree with Limbaugh, but that he is hateful, foul-mouthed, nasty, ignorant, and encourages hate and intolerance with an unholy glee that made me sick. He is a disgusting execresence on the human race - and yet he is a very powerful man. Why so many perfectly ordinary people buy into his world view is beyond me. Are people really so afraid? He caters to their fears and ignorance and is rewarded by enormous political influence. Something wrong there. Something rotten in the state of Denmark.

He is called a "conservative", but that's not what he is. I know plenty of American conservatives, old line Republicans, who loathe the guy. And yet, up until this last election, they did not realize or understand what they had allowed to happen to their party for the sake of getting Bush elected twice - and they want it back. Will they get it? I hope so.

Living on Earth is expensive,
but it does include a free trip
around the sun every year.

Profile Quote
elfshadow
Posted: Tue 31 Mar , 2009 11:59 pm
Kill the headlights and put it in neutral

I agree with Freddy. I sure as hell am no fan of Fox News, Rush Limbaugh, or Bill O'Reilly, but who am I to make a fuss if they want to start a website like that? I am free to choose not to visit it, which I will happily do. I can guarantee you that there are plenty of liberal websites spewing extremist hatred about Republicans and conservatives. To be perfectly blunt, I don't think this is something that anyone should waste their time griping about.

TheEllipticalDisillusion wrote:
I will be damned if I have to see another Red Wings cup victory. :P (Sorry, I was a big Avs fan back when Patrick Roy played for them.)
Damn straight! :D I fucking hate the Wings. :rage:

Profile Quote
sauronsfinger
Posted: Wed 01 Apr , 2009 12:24 am

Well hockey fans , maybe we can make a friendly wager on the playoffs?

TED - the last week or two of the season normally sees some weird stuff happening. Its gonna be different once the playoffs begin.

Vison - Limbaugh can no longer shock me --- the other day he said Hilary Clinton was twice the man Obama is ..... 'yawn'. Its like riding on the back of a garbage truck for months - the smell is no longer as bad as you thought it was. The world would be a better place without him however.

Profile Quote
vison
Posted: Wed 01 Apr , 2009 12:33 am
Best friends forever

Never mind those effete Eastern teams. :sick:

Canucks '09. :thewave: :thewave: :thewave:

Suck it up. =:)

Profile Quote
Feredir
Posted: Wed 01 Apr , 2009 12:38 am

HEY,HEY stop osgili...osgili, stop railroading this thread. Besides the cup is coming back to the states where it belongs :D .

freddy

vison
Posted: Wed 01 Apr , 2009 12:47 am
Best friends forever

Merciful heavens. :Q

feredir has just caused an international incident!!!!! :Q

Never a cop around when you need one . . . . ;)

Lord Stanley's cup is coming back to Vancouver this season. Did you know (and you probably didn't) that a team called The Vancouver Millionaires won the Cup in 1915?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vancouver_Millionaires" target="_blank

Profile Quote
TheEllipticalDisillusion
Posted: Wed 01 Apr , 2009 10:35 pm
Insolent Pup

I knew that vison. And by the way, the cup is not going back to Vancouver. Bah to the Western Conference. The cup belongs in the East! It's going to Boston. I'm putting my money* on the Bruins.

*Note: this is not real money because I currently do not have any. Monopoly money.

Sf, what's the wager?

*We should move this Stanley Cup discussion to its own thread*

The 11/3 Project

Profile Quote
ToshoftheWuffingas
Posted: Thu 02 Apr , 2009 12:48 pm
Filthy darwinian hobbit

I have, thank the Lord never heard Rush Limbaugh nor the other Right Wing hate merchants like him, nor do I want to but I think I recognise the point being made.

Sure there are plenty of individuals spewng hatred on both sides and one can lead a pleasant life ignoring them. The essential point is to concentrate and contest the ones who have a mass audience. Should one allow hate to be expressed without trying to oppose it? In this country we have a tabloid press owned by foreign millionnaires with their own agendas. They are quite happy to try to topple a government (of the Right or the Left) if the owner so decides so get pandered to by the government. One, The Daily Mail, consistently runs anti immigrant or homophobic stories. Another, The Daily Express runs anti immigrant front page headlines on a virtually daily basis. Of course when an immigrant or gay is murdered by thugs as happens from time to time it just provides a side story to fill up a half column. Meanwhile the government introduces immigration rules purely in order to get sympathetic headlines.

They make me sick to my stomach and I feel powerless to do anything about them. It's their mass audience that makes them worthy of attention. Were they just the rantings of a small group one could follow Freddy's and elsha's advice.

[ img ]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos

Norwich Beer Festival 2009

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 2  [ 39 posts ]
Return to “The Symposium” | Jump to page 1 2 »
Jump to: