The Last Homely Site on the Web

Positive Police Actions

Post Reply   Page 2 of 3  [ 53 posts ]
Jump to page « 1 2 3 »
Riverthalos
Post subject: Re: Positive Police Actions
Posted: Sat 04 Apr , 2009 5:45 pm
bioalchemist

Freddy, I had a call like that once. They had a water rescue team at the ready just in case, but the police talked the guy down. And then had to search him because he was armed (he had a sword in his cane and about five knives and when he asked the cop why he was being disarmed when the cops wore bullet proof vests the cop gently explained that those don't work against knives...and, oh, by the way, the EMTs aren't armored against anything :roll:). When we got him to the hospital the nurse asked if he wanted to hurt himself or others and he looked back at the cop and me and my partner and my trainee and said "Well, maybe others..." He clearly meant it to be a joke, but the joke was on him. Have a nice 72 hours in the psych ward, buddy!

"He attacks. And here I can kill him. But I don't. That's the answer to world peace, people."
-Stickles Shihan

Profile Quote
Feredir
Posted: Sat 04 Apr , 2009 6:14 pm

vison, the only reason I can think if is that is how it is written in reports. It could also be when talking on a radio it is easier to detected male and female (due to the f in female) than man and woman. More than likely though, it is simply how it has always been done.

river, what an idiot. If it was a joke then I hope he learned his lesson during the 72 hour stay. If it wasn't a joke then I hope he got the help he needed.

freddy

Feredir
Posted: Sat 04 Apr , 2009 6:15 pm

There are reports of three Philly officers being killed today. Prayers to the families and officers. :(

freddy

sauronsfinger
Posted: Sat 04 Apr , 2009 9:41 pm

Here is the story from a Minnesota news service
Quote:
PITTSBURGH - A gunman wearing a bulletproof vest and "lying in wait" opened fire on officers responding to a domestic disturbance call Saturday, killing three of them and turning a quiet Pittsburgh street into a battlefield, police said.

Police Chief Nate Harper said the motive for the shooting isn't clear, but friends said the gunman recently had been upset about losing his job and feared the Obama administration was poised to ban guns.

Richard Poplawski, 23, met officers at the doorway and shot two of them in the head immediately, Harper said. An officer who tried to help the two also was killed.

Poplawski, armed with an assault rifle and two other guns, then held police at bay for four hours as the fallen officers were left bleeding nearby, their colleagues unable to reach them, according to police and witnesses. More than 100 rounds were fired by the SWAT teams and Poplawski, Harper said.

The three slain officers were Eric Kelly, Stephen Mayhle and Paul Sciullo III. Kelly had been on the force for 14 years, Mayhle and Sciullo for two years each. Another officer was shot in the hand and a fifth broke his leg on a fence.

Poplawski had gunshot wounds in his legs but was otherwise unharmed because he was wearing a bulletproof vest, Harper said. He was charged with three counts of homicide, aggravated assault and a weapons violation.

The shooting occurred just two weeks after four police officers were fatally shot in Oakland, Calif., in the deadliest day for U.S. law enforcement since Sept. 11, 2001. The officers were the first Pittsburgh city officers to die in the line of duty in 18 years.

"This is a solemn day and it's a very sad day in the city of Pittsburgh," Harper said. "We've seen this kind of violence happen in California. We never would think this kind of violence would happen in the city of Pittsburgh."

At 7 a.m., Sciullo and Mayhle responded to a 911 call from Poplawski's mother, who remained holed up in the basement during the entire dispute and escaped unharmed, Harper said.

When they arrived at the home, Sciullo was immediately shot in the head. Mayhle, who was right behind him, was also shot in the head.

"It appears he was lying in wait for the officers," Harper said.

Kelly, who was on his way home after completing his overnight shift when he heard the call for help, rushed to the scene and was killed trying to help Sciullo and Mayhle, Harper said. SWAT teams and other officers arrived and were immediately fired on as well.

Don Sand, who lives across the street from Poplawski, said he was woken up by the sound of gunfire. Hunkering down behind a wall in his home, he saw the first two officers go down and then saw Kelly get shot.

"They couldn't get the scene secure enough to get to them. They were just lying there bleeding," Sand said. "By the time they secured the scene enough to get to them it was way too late."

Poplawski feared "the Obama gun ban that's on the way" and "didn't like our rights being infringed upon," said Edward Perkovic, his best friend.

Perkovic, 22, said he got a call at work from him in which he said, "Eddie, I am going to die today. ... Tell your family I love them and I love you."

Perkovic said: "I heard gunshots and he hung up. ... He sounded like he was in pain, like he got shot."

Poplawski had once tried to join the Marines, but was kicked out of boot camp after throwing a food tray at a drill sergeant, Perkovic said.

Another longtime friend, Aaron Vire, said Poplawski feared that President Barack Obama was going to take away his rights, though he said he "wasn't violently against Obama."

Vire, 23, said Poplawski once had an Internet talk show but that it wasn't successful. He said Poplawski owned an AK-47 rifle and several powerful handguns, including a .357 Magnum.

Obama has said he respects Americans' constitutional right to bear arms, but that he favors "common sense" gun laws. Gun rights advocates interpret that as meaning he would approve of curbs on ownership of assault and concealed weapons.

Poplawski had been laid off from his job at a glass factory earlier this year, said another friend, Joe DiMarco. DiMarco said he didn't know the name of the company, but knew his friend had been upset about it.

The last Pittsburgh police officers killed in the line of duty were Officers Thomas L. Herron and Joseph J. Grill, according to a Web site that tracks police killings. They died after their patrol car collided with another vehicle while chasing a stolen car on March 6, 1991.

In 1995, an off-duty officer was shot with his own gun after he confronted a group of teenagers about graffiti. Tests later showed the officer had been drinking.

According to the National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial Fund, 133 law enforcement officers died in the line of duty in 2008, a 27 percent decrease from year before and the lowest annual total since 1960.

Poplawski had often fought with neighbors and had even gotten into fist fights with a couple, Sand said.

"This is a relatively really quiet neighborhood except for him," Sand said. "He was just one of those kids that we knew to stay clear from."

Harper confirmed police had responded to calls from the Poplawski house several times but said the incidents were still being investigated.

Rob Gift, 45, who lives a block away, said the well-kept single-family houses with manicured lawns are home to many police officers, firefighters, paramedics and other city workers.

"It's just a very quiet neighborhood," Gift said.
Very tragic and unnecessary. You gotta wonder if Fox News will report the second paragraph?
I sincerely hope and pray this is last such story we will ever read of any innocent persons murdered by right wing lunatics obsessed with non-existant efforts to "take away their guns". I also wonder if any of the usual right wing radio and TV commentators who have used such a phony issue to garner ratings feels any responsibility when somebody like this does a terrible deed like this?

Thats probably a silly question.

This guy was totally sick and obsessed with guns and gun rights.

http://www.freep.com/article/20090405/S ... oZsZpGk%3D" target="_blank

I would not want to be a police officer right now with this sort of siege mentality taking hold in some quarters. And then you have people like Glen Beck fanning the flames. Not good at all.

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs. - John Rogers

Profile Quote
Feredir
Posted: Sun 05 Apr , 2009 7:26 pm

SF, I will not turn this tragedy into anything other than a man who lost his mind and killed three police officers. If you would care to discuss the steps being taken by some to initiate gun control legislation in the House and Senate please start another thread. They are not "non-existent."

thanks,
freddy

sauronsfinger
Posted: Sun 05 Apr , 2009 8:50 pm

Sure Freddy. Its your thread.

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs. - John Rogers

Profile Quote
Feredir
Posted: Sun 05 Apr , 2009 10:55 pm

Sf, sorry if that came across harsh. I didn't mean for it to.

freddy

sauronsfinger
Posted: Sun 05 Apr , 2009 11:30 pm

not at all ... its okay....

Profile Quote
Feredir
Posted: Thu 09 Apr , 2009 11:23 pm

This happened tonight in my city:

Officers were sent to a residence of a suicidal subject possibly armed with a gun. As they arrive the caller, a friend who is now in the backyard, tells the dispatcher that the subject is on the floor with a gun in one hand and a knife in the other.

The officers yell into the house and tell the subject to show her hands, which she does. Officer enter the residence and are able to secure her without using any force.

This could easily have turned bad quick had she reached for the gun or knife. She was taken to the hospital for evaluation.

freddy

LalaithUrwen
Posted: Fri 10 Apr , 2009 3:18 am
The Grey Amaretto as Supermega-awesome Proud Heretic Girl

I'm glad it ended well. :hug:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Feredir
Posted: Tue 21 Apr , 2009 1:21 pm

A very sad one:

Retired Fla. officer drowns trying to save boyBy Jeff Kunerth
Orlando Sentinel

TITUSVILLE, Fla. — The way it ended -- on a fishing trip, trying to save a child -- says volumes about Ottie "Steve" Harrelson.

Harrelson, a 65-year-old retired police officer, died Saturday after jumping into the Indian River near Titusville to rescue a boy with disabilities who had fallen out of his john boat.

"My father instinctively just jumped off the boat. Didn't think, just did," said his son Corey Harrelson, 36, of Lake Mary.

Steve Harrelson was with several other police officers who took a group of teens with disabilities and their parents on a fishing outing Friday. The boy who fell out of Harrelson's boat made it back. Harrelson didn't.

Pulled unconscious from the water, he was taken to Parrish Medical Center in Titusville. His family removed him from life support Saturday morning.

Harrelson spent 20 years with the Orlando Police Department and also worked for the Seminole County Sheriff's Office. In his last years with OPD, Harrelson worked on crimes against children. The abuse and suffering he saw, but could not prevent, took a toll on him, his son said.

"It was very frustrating to him not to be able to take that poor child and get them out of that situation. He took it so personally, it was emotionally taxing on him," his son said. "He always had a special place in his heart for children, for sure."

So he turned to mentoring boys he could save, providing them with moral and ethic guidance, offering support and advice. Often his wisdom came from the end of a fishing pole. Being outdoors, on the water, under the stars, by a campfire, is when the stern and strict exterior of Steve Harrelson gave way to the compassionate heart inside.

"Some of the most influential conversations I had with my father were sitting under the stars by a fire. The conversations that made me want to be a better person, we shared on those occasions -- fishing, hunting or camping."

Always an athletic and physically fit person, Harrelson had gained weight in recent years and developed health problems -- high blood pressure, diabetes -- that could have contributed to his death, his son said.

"He was a terrible patient. He wouldn't eat the right things. He would miss taking his medications," the younger Harrelson said.

And though the retired officer was a good swimmer, he was lousy at floating -- sinking straight to the bottom of any body of water, his son said.

"My theory is he tried so hard to keep his head above water he just plum wore himself out," Corey Harrelson said. "He's my dad. I love him dearly, and I will miss him."

In addition to his son, Steve Harrelson is survived by his wife, Jacqueline Harrelson, of Longwood; daughter, Melissa Tillotson, Cedar Rapids, Iowa; two brothers, Donnie Harrelson and Tony Harrelson; and four grandchildren.

Woodlawn Carey Hand Funeral Home, Gotha, is handling funeral arrangements.

LalaithUrwen
Posted: Tue 21 Apr , 2009 1:42 pm

:( That's sad.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
vison
Posted: Wed 22 Apr , 2009 4:46 pm
Best friends forever

That's very sad, feredir.

Living on Earth is expensive,
but it does include a free trip
around the sun every year.

Profile Quote
Feredir
Posted: Sat 16 May , 2009 1:56 am

Officer Helps Deliver Baby On LA Freeway
CHP Officer Helps Deliver Baby Girl
Posted: 1:03 am EDT May 14, 2009
Updated: 2:19 am EDT May 14, 2009

LOS ANGELES -- A woman has given birth to a healthy baby girl -- on a Los Angeles freeway.

The California Highway Patrol said Wednesday that Officer DeShawn Cobbs and his partner were assisting at a highway maintenance closure on eastbound Interstate 10 late Tuesday when a car pulled into the blocked-off area requesting assistance.

The driver, the pregnant woman's sister, shouted to officers that her sister was having a baby.

The CHP says when Cobbs opened the rear door of the vehicle he saw that the woman was in labor.

He says he saw the baby's head, asked the mom to give another push, and a baby girl was born.

The CHP says mother and baby were taken to a hospital where they are reported to be in good condition.

Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press. All rights reserved

LalaithUrwen
Posted: Wed 20 May , 2009 4:31 pm

Cool! How often does that actually happen, I wonder? You see it on TV all of the time.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
RELStuart
Posted: Thu 28 May , 2009 2:09 pm
Legendury speller

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me ... 5428.story" target="_blank
Quote:
Off-duty officer kills robbery suspect at Bellflower diner
Associated Press
6:15 AM PDT, May 28, 2009

Authorities say an off-duty Gardena police officer shot and killed a man with a knife who was trying to rob a diner in Bellflower.

Los Angeles County sheriff's Lt. Gil Carrillo says the officer was eating at a Norm's Restaurant at about 2 a.m. today when the would-be robber came in.

Carrillo says the officer tried to stop the robbery and the man charged at him with a knife. He says the officer, fearing for his life, shot and killed the man, who died at the scene.

Carrillo says the officer was a five-year veteran of the Gardena Police Department.

No names were immediately released.

"When people don't believe in you, you have to believe in yourself. "
Pierce Brosnan

"Please don't disillusion me. I haven't had breakfast yet." Card

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Thu 28 May , 2009 3:27 pm

One thing Freddy always comments on when we're watching some sort of police drama on TV is how unrealistically they treat a knife situation. The cops on TV allow the criminal or the deranged person to get entirely too close--so close that if it were real life the criminal would easily be able to kill with that knife. TV distorts our perspective of how dangerous a weapon like that can be. Sounds like this officer did the best thing he could. Freddy would have to give the exact distance (how close a person has to be to be within a deadly range with a knife), but it's much closer than you think.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Feredir
Posted: Thu 28 May , 2009 7:29 pm

The studies used to say that the "safe" distance was 21' from a knife wielding subject. He could be stabbing the officer before the officer could even draw his weapon. Recent studies show that the distance is even greater. Knives are a very dangerous weapon, even kitchen knives, and with mixed martial arts being so popular it is even more dangerous than ever.

freddy

Riverthalos
Posted: Thu 28 May , 2009 7:49 pm
bioalchemist

Knives are scary. A gun has one business end. A sword has a limited distance it's effective in; stay far enough away and you're safe, get in close and you're also safe. But a knife...it's a close range weapon but the gap closes fast, there's edges and a point and the thing waves around and changes hands and it's just bad news. Even a little knife can be lethal if you stab someone in the right place. I learned that in martial arts classes, and I've heard the same from cops. I wouldn't call shooting an attacker with a knife unfair or excessive.

"He attacks. And here I can kill him. But I don't. That's the answer to world peace, people."
-Stickles Shihan

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Tue 02 Jun , 2009 1:30 pm
Aspiring to heresy

So over the weekend in Vancouver police arrested a teen who had published a "hit-list" of people in his school, including teachers and fellow-students. They also seized a whole bunch of weapons from his home.
Quote:
Police have arrested an 18-year-old high school student after a hit-list containing 117 names was posted on the Internet. Police seized a sawed-off shotgun and ammunition, a knife, a sword, a machete and two batons from the teen's home over the weekend. The Templeton Secondary School student has been arrested and is facing numerous weapons charges. The matter was brought to the attention of police Friday by six students, a number of whom were on the list. Templeton Secondary is the interior set for the high school in the TV series Smallville.
Ironically, if the attack had been carried out it would have been big news. As it is, probably none of you would have heard of it if I hadn't posted this.

[ img ]

Melkor and Ungoliant in need of some relationship counselling.

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 2 of 3  [ 53 posts ]
Return to “The Symposium” | Jump to page « 1 2 3 »
Jump to: