The Grey Amaretto as Supermega-awesome Proud Heretic Girl

I'm so glad it was prevented, though!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jude
Post subject: Re: Positive Police Actions
Posted: Tue 02 Jun , 2009 1:39 pm
Aspiring to heresy

Me too - and I wish the press would make a bigger deal of it when good things happen (or bad things don't!).

[ img ]

Melkor and Ungoliant in need of some relationship counselling.

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Tue 02 Jun , 2009 1:42 pm

I do, too, but bad news supposedly sells better. I'm not sure I buy that. I'd like to hear good news more than bad news.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Tue 02 Jun , 2009 1:48 pm
Aspiring to heresy

Well, they could have full-page graphics of natural disasters or gruesome crime scenes, with captions like "This didn't happen!!!" and "Nor did this!!!11111"

[ img ]

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Tue 02 Jun , 2009 1:48 pm

:LMAO: An elegant solution!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
RELStuart
Posted: Tue 02 Jun , 2009 2:01 pm
Legendury speller

Jude wrote:
So over the weekend in Vancouver police arrested a teen who had published a "hit-list" of people in his school, including teachers and fellow-students. They also seized a whole bunch of weapons from his home.
Quote:
Police have arrested an 18-year-old high school student after a hit-list containing 117 names was posted on the Internet. Police seized a sawed-off shotgun and ammunition, a knife, a sword, a machete and two batons from the teen's home over the weekend. The Templeton Secondary School student has been arrested and is facing numerous weapons charges. The matter was brought to the attention of police Friday by six students, a number of whom were on the list. Templeton Secondary is the interior set for the high school in the TV series Smallville.
Ironically, if the attack had been carried out it would have been big news. As it is, probably none of you would have heard of it if I hadn't posted this.
That is sad. :( Good thing the police were able to follow up on this before anything happened. I wonder what he will be charged with? I'm not sure the gathering of weapons and publishing the hit list is enough to charge with attempted murder. But certainly it would be enough for conspiracy for murder. As an 18 year old I would expect him to be charged as an adult.

School attacks are scary because they are a target where someone that decides to go on a killing spree can be reasonably confident they will not have to worry about anyone armed stopping them. At least initially.

(I love Smallville.)

"When people don't believe in you, you have to believe in yourself. "
Pierce Brosnan

"Please don't disillusion me. I haven't had breakfast yet." Card

Profile Quote
vison
Posted: Wed 10 Jun , 2009 5:08 am
Best friends forever

I know a lady named Melinda; she runs the concession at the ballpark where my boys play. Melinda is 45 years old, she is a highly energetic and hardworking woman, the single mother of 3, works full time for the city of Langley as well as working the concession every night and every weekend. She's smart, funny, kind, thoughtful - a really good person.

She is scarred over most of her body, horribly scarred from being burned as a child of 10. Her arms, chest, back, torso and upper legs do not have anything like human skin covering them, you can see that she was burned nearly to the bone on her upper arms and chest. Her face is not badly scarred, nor her lower legs, and she has a decent head of hair. Looking at her, you wonder how she survived, why she is alive at all.

I always wondered how she came to be so badly burned but never liked to ask. But last summer we were working together at the park and she said something about "when I was burned" and I asked her how it happened, was it car accident? "No," she said, "it was a fire in my grandma's apartment building. And it was arson."

It's hard to express how that affected me, to think that someone could set a fire and that a little 10 year old girl could be hurt so badly. She said she hovered between life and death for months, and that only her mother's strength and determination got her through it. A miracle, her mother says, but Melinda says her mother is the miracle.

Anyway, the other day she came up to me at the park and said, "I have to tell you something. 35 years later, they've finally arrested the man that set the fire that burned me. He's been charged with assault causing bodily harm, 3 counts of manslaughter, and 2 counts of arson."

3 counts of manslaughter? "Yes," she said. "My grandma and 2 other people died in that fire."

You know, I actually felt faint when she said that. It is beyond imagination, and is so dreadful that a person's mind can't dwell on it or really absorb it at all. 3 dead. A child burned nearly to death. 35 years later they arrested the man they always knew had done it, but never had enough evidence to arrest him.

The next day, Melinda was interviewed on CBC radio. And so was the police officer in Regina who had made the arrest. For 35 years they had watched and waited and at last they had something to go on. The interviewer asked the police officer why it had taken so long, and what had happened to bring it to this conclusion. The cop said that people's consciences start to bother them, people who might know something or who might have seen or heard something, or someone says something, and the file had NEVER been closed, so when the tips came in, they acted right away. He didn't imply, and I didn't think, that it was the arsonist whose conscience bothered him. It might have been his mother, or his sister, or a friend, or a neighbour. Whoever it was, he's going to be tried in Regina and Melinda is going to go and give a "victim impact statement" . She wants to see him, and, more to the point, she wants him to see her.

No one is less like a victim than Melinda. She is tough, she is hardy, she won't wear clothes that cover her scars, she doesn't ask for pity, she just wants to live her life. But I know that the pain must be in there, the memory of the physical agony, the lifetime of being scarred, of being stared at, all that.

She has a little girl of her own, who is 10 now. She is the image of her mother, or rather of what her mother was, a beautiful, beautiful child with long blonde hair and almond-shaped blue eyes and the most exquisite colouring and complexion. A merry, laughing little girl. She "likes" my grandson Oz and watches his ball games and chases him around, embarassing him half to death - but only half. He "likes" her, too.

I think the police officers who never let that case rest, who never stopped waiting, who kept track of that man as he moved around Canada, who sifted through phone records and whispered tips and gossip, are the greatest. I don't know what will happen to him, hopefully he'll go to prison, but whatever it is, it has to be good for Melinda to know that she was never forgotten, nor her grandma, nor the other 2. 35 years!

Living on Earth is expensive,
but it does include a free trip
around the sun every year.

Profile Quote
sauronsfinger
Posted: Thu 11 Jun , 2009 6:22 pm

Kudos to the officers who acted swiftly at the Holocaust Museum in Washington DC on Wednesday to shoot the neo-nazi James Von Brunn who killed one of their brethren. They saved lives with their quick action.

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs. - John Rogers

Profile Quote
RELStuart
Posted: Tue 23 Jun , 2009 5:37 pm
Legendury speller

That is a great story Vison. Thank you for sharing it.

"When people don't believe in you, you have to believe in yourself. "
Pierce Brosnan

"Please don't disillusion me. I haven't had breakfast yet." Card

Profile Quote
Cenedril_Gildinaur
Posted: Wed 23 Sep , 2009 10:22 pm

Ramon Perez: One Good (and brave) Cop
Quote:
Ramon Perez, a homeschooling father of four beautiful children and a part-time lay preacher, was a rookie police officer in Austin, Texas when he responded to a domestic violence call in January 2005.

On arriving at the address, Perez discovered that the squabble involved an elderly couple. The woman had been pushed down the stairs; the alleged assailant, an elderly man in frail health, was leaving the scene. One of Perez's associates "lunged" at the man, took him down, and ordered Perez to shoot the elderly man with his Taser. Perez, fearing that the suspect wouldn't survive, refused to do so, choosing instead to take him into custody with "soft-hand" tactics

Perez believed the use of potentially lethal force in that situation was unwarranted, unconstitutional, and illegal. It would also have violated the "use of force" policy established by the Austin Police Department. Nonetheless, his refusal to carry out an illegal order would cost him his job.<span id="more-36871]. A few weeks after that incident, Perez was summoned to an interview with department psychologist Carol Logan. He was told the meeting was about "improving communication with his superiors." That was a lie: He was covertly being subjected to a "fit for duty" review.

Logan concluded that Perez was unfit for duty because of the inflexibility of his religious and moral beliefs: As a Christian, Perez's beliefs were an unacceptable "impairment" to functioning as  a police officer, because - as demonstrated by his refusal to obey an order to subject a non-violent elderly suspect to a potentially fatal Taser shock - he believes in a moral duty beyond mere obedience to his superiors.

Given the choice of being terminated "for cause" and losing his peace officer license, or resigning and finding work elsewhere, Perez chose the latter. He then filed a religious discrimination suit against the APD. His former superiors sought dismissal of the suit based on "qualified immunity," that magical claim that makes official misconduct disappear. But in this instance the incantation failed.

On September 8, the U.S. Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals upheld a district court's denial of the qualified immunity claim, allowing Perez's lawsuit to proceed. The appeals court observed that "there [is] a genuine issue of fact as to whether Defendants terminated Perez for his religious beliefs," one that a jury should decide, rather than being dismissed prior to trial.

Irrespective of the outcome of Perez's lawsuit, two things are quite clear:

First, although extraordinary efforts are made to retain police who commit crimes of violence against innocent people under color of "authority," police who refuse orders to commit such acts can expect summary termination;

Second, Ramon Perez is a man of uncommon integrity, and his example should inspire other honorable men in law enforcement to interpose themselves between the public and the rising tide of official lawlessness.

It is a myth that coercion is necessary in order to force people to get along together, but it is a persistent myth because it feeds a desire many people have. That desire is to be able to justify hurting people who have done nothing other than offend them in some way.

Last edited by Cenedril_Gildinaur on Tue Feb 30, 2026 13:61 am; edited 426 times in total

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Fri 25 Sep , 2009 6:52 pm
Aspiring to heresy

[ img ]

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Cenedril_Gildinaur
Posted: Thu 22 Oct , 2009 11:34 pm

Media discovering Oath Keepers: part one

Media discovering Oath Keepers: part two

A positive police action - some police are joining the Oath Keepers. Good for them.

The Oath Keepers Website

It is a myth that coercion is necessary in order to force people to get along together, but it is a persistent myth because it feeds a desire many people have. That desire is to be able to justify hurting people who have done nothing other than offend them in some way.

Last edited by Cenedril_Gildinaur on Tue Feb 30, 2026 13:61 am; edited 426 times in total

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Thu 17 Dec , 2009 12:09 pm
Aspiring to heresy

[ img ]

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 3 of 3  [ 53 posts ]
Return to “The Symposium” | Jump to page « 1 2 3
Jump to: