board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

Texas ponders Secession ?!?!?!

Post Reply   Page 3 of 3  [ 54 posts ]
Jump to page « 1 2 3
Dave_LF
Post subject: Re: Texas ponders Secession ?!?!?!
Posted: Tue 21 Apr , 2009 12:33 pm
You are hearing me talk

I imagine the South would have described what they were doing as an attempt to build the Confederate States of America, while the Tories would have described 1776 as an attempt to destroy the British Empire. I oppose neither secession nor rebellion in general, but I oppose both when they're done by petulant twits for half-assed, hare-brained reasons. I'm looking at you, Texas.

Profile Quote
elfshadow
Posted: Tue 21 Apr , 2009 6:47 pm
Kill the headlights and put it in neutral

Well, remember the number of Democrats who talked about moving to Canada when Bush was elected, and then re-elected? Similar deal, IMO, though maybe a bit less extreme. I don't really think the very right-wing Republicans are acting markedly different under Obama than the very left-wing Democrats were acting under Bush, to be honest.

Profile Quote
Cenedril_Gildinaur
Posted: Tue 21 Apr , 2009 7:02 pm

No, they're not that different.

Actually I'm disappointed in the "not that different." There used to be anti-war marches where libertarians and progressives mingle, but now it's a libertarian only event, while the Republicans are taking over our annual anti-tax protests to the point where they're crowding us out.

It is a myth that coercion is necessary in order to force people to get along together, but it is a persistent myth because it feeds a desire many people have. That desire is to be able to justify hurting people who have done nothing other than offend them in some way.

Last edited by Cenedril_Gildinaur on Tue Feb 30, 2026 13:61 am; edited 426 times in total

Profile Quote
Dave_LF
Posted: Tue 21 Apr , 2009 8:33 pm
You are hearing me talk

elfshadow wrote:
Well, remember the number of Democrats who talked about moving to Canada when Bush was elected, and then re-elected? Similar deal, IMO, though maybe a bit less extreme.
There's a huge difference between "I don't like this; I'm going to try something else" and "I don't like this; if I can't have it my way, I'm going to destroy it".

Profile Quote
Ara-anna
Posted: Tue 21 Apr , 2009 8:36 pm
Daydream Believer

The Republicans can't move to Canada, they have socialized health care there.

And I agree with Dave. The Democrats/Liberals said they were leaving to a different country, leaving it for those who wanted a place to stay. The Govenor of Texas, well he wants his own country and screw the US and it's laws, Constitution, people, government and wants to take his entire state with him. The difference is a few thousand Democrats said they were going to leave, not destroying the Constitution, where as the other senerio is destroy the country because they have no idea how to win an election.

Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in

Five seconds away from the Tetons and Yellowstone

Profile Quote
sauronsfinger
Posted: Tue 21 Apr , 2009 9:07 pm

Ara-anna - just one little clarification to your fine post .... The Republicans do have knowledge as to how to win an election. However it applies to an America that is not any longer with us. If we become a nation of a majority of Southern white men then they will have it made in the shade. That seems to be the only demographic group that they won big a few months ago.

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs. - John Rogers

Profile Quote
TheEllipticalDisillusion
Posted: Tue 21 Apr , 2009 11:47 pm
Insolent Pup

It is definitely different with today's secession talk from Texas, and yesterday's moving to Canada talk from liberals or left wingers. Moving to Canada isn't the same as saying, I disagree with the very system that kept my boys in power, so I am taking my state out of this union.

Also, I want to mention that in 1776, the colonists did not secede from Britain since they were not voluntarily associated with it, whereas the South had been voluntarily unionized. The colonists were subjects of the British crown, and subjects don't secede, they revolt. The individual states in the United States voted to make themselves part of this union that we call America, USA, the United States of America. If America had been a monarchy, then I wouldn't say that the South seceded, but revolted. I don't have a degree in history, but I do have an understanding of the revolution, and Civil War, so I suppose that qualifies my opinion on both matters.

The 11/3 Project

Profile Quote
Riverthalos
Posted: Tue 21 Apr , 2009 11:55 pm
bioalchemist

I imagine the GOP is also suffering from a rather serious case of hubris right now. They have an "eternal flame" burning outside their campaign headquarters in DC. It was installed in 1994 as part of a victory monument to celebrate their takeover of Congress and represent what they thought would be an enduring hold on power. In fairness, their hold lasted 14 years - that's half my life and quite long enough for any one party to be calling all the shots.

"He attacks. And here I can kill him. But I don't. That's the answer to world peace, people."
-Stickles Shihan

Profile Quote
Ara-anna
Posted: Sat 02 May , 2009 3:31 am
Daydream Believer

So now that Texas has swine flu, Gov. Perry is asking for Tamiflu and help from the US Federal Government....he wants 30,000 Tamiflu from the Feds....I guess those tea bags won't help when your a lone country, after a virus that has evolved, starts making your tribe sick.

Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in

Five seconds away from the Tetons and Yellowstone

Profile Quote
TheEllipticalDisillusion
Posted: Sat 02 May , 2009 5:02 am
Insolent Pup

I thought Texas didn't need the US. I guess the tissue is in the other hand now.

The 11/3 Project

Profile Quote
Riverthalos
Posted: Sat 02 May , 2009 5:15 am
bioalchemist

Amazing, isn't it? A teeny little thing, doesn't quite qualify as living, can't be seen without the help of an electron microscope or x-ray diffractometer, has the big tough cowboys crying home to mama. But viruses can be like that.

"He attacks. And here I can kill him. But I don't. That's the answer to world peace, people."
-Stickles Shihan

Profile Quote
Cenedril_Gildinaur
Posted: Wed 30 Nov , 2016 4:27 pm

It's happening. When a Democrat wins, Republicans talk secession, and when a Republican wins, Democrats talk secession.

'Calexit?' Supporters for California to secede take first steps: Report

It is a myth that coercion is necessary in order to force people to get along together, but it is a persistent myth because it feeds a desire many people have. That desire is to be able to justify hurting people who have done nothing other than offend them in some way.

Last edited by Cenedril_Gildinaur on Tue Feb 30, 2026 13:61 am; edited 426 times in total

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Wed 30 Nov , 2016 4:35 pm
The Grey Amaretto as Supermega-awesome Proud Heretic Girl

I think, like all the other threats of secession, it will go nowhere.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Frelga
Posted: Wed 30 Nov , 2016 4:51 pm
A green apple painted red

I agree, although I am now somewhat more sympathetic to the idea of the protest vote.

GNU Terry Pratchett

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 3 of 3  [ 54 posts ]
Return to “The Symposium” | Jump to page « 1 2 3
Jump to: