The Last Homely Site on the Web

split topic

Post Reply   Page 1 of 2  [ 21 posts ]
Jump to page 1 2 »
MariaHobbit
Post subject: split topic
Posted: Tue 21 Apr , 2009 2:46 pm

self deleted

Last edited by MariaHobbit on Thu 23 Apr , 2009 6:25 pm, edited 4 times in total.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Ara-anna
Post subject: Re: The United States is Broke
Posted: Tue 21 Apr , 2009 3:08 pm
Daydream Believer

Last edited by Ara-anna on Wed 22 Apr , 2009 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in

Five seconds away from the Tetons and Yellowstone

Profile Quote
Riverthalos
Posted: Tue 21 Apr , 2009 3:49 pm
bioalchemist

MariaHobbit wrote:

And, of course, the Mayan calendar ends in 2012. The world's gonna end then, too.

Sometimes I wonder if this whole doom and gloom thing is linked to man's inability to comprehend his own mortality? A sort of, "if I die, the whole world must die with me" sort of idea.
There's a good deal of coercion in fear-mongering, which is how much of these apocalyptic religious beliefs come across to me. "Follow me or you'll be left behind" and so on. That and, as you've said, people have a tense relationship with their own mortality.

As for the Mayans, I keep getting this sneaky and amusing image of a group of Mayan artisans carving out a calendar, reaching 2012 and saying "Eh, that's far enough. We can do the rest later," but then the procrastination turns epic and next thing you know the calendar that ends on 2012 is perpetuated but no one cared because 2012 was a looooong way away back then. :P

"He attacks. And here I can kill him. But I don't. That's the answer to world peace, people."
-Stickles Shihan

Profile Quote
sauronsfinger
Posted: Tue 21 Apr , 2009 4:00 pm

from Riverthalos
Quote:
There's a good deal of coercion in fear-mongering, which is how much of these apocalyptic religious beliefs come across to me. "Follow me or you'll be left behind" and so on. That and, as you've said, people have a tense relationship with their own mortality.
Yes, I think you are onto something there. And I would take it a step further. People truly believe that they are so important, so valuable, so indispensable, that the end of the world or civilization has to come in their lifetime. It is the ultimate human conceit.

as for CG - You know what you can do with your proffered advice and permissions . I have NEVER needed your permission for anything and never will.

It is a conceit on your part to seduce yourself into thinking such things. You operate under conceited delusions of grandeur and are a legend only in your own mind.

The really sad thing here is that you are so careful not to really say what you believe. It puts you in the position of having to backtrack constantly and go into your routine of asking hundreds of silly questions to avoid attention being put on your own beliefs.

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs. - John Rogers

Profile Quote
Ara-anna
Posted: Tue 21 Apr , 2009 4:17 pm
Daydream Believer

Last edited by Ara-anna on Wed 22 Apr , 2009 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Quote
Cenedril_Gildinaur
Post subject: Re: End of the World - split from "the US is broke"
Posted: Wed 22 Apr , 2009 5:12 pm

HERE is a website full of End of the World scenarios. Many of them are scientific, some are religious.

It's a cool website. So what do you think of the Norse Ragnarok?

It is a myth that coercion is necessary in order to force people to get along together, but it is a persistent myth because it feeds a desire many people have. That desire is to be able to justify hurting people who have done nothing other than offend them in some way.

Last edited by Cenedril_Gildinaur on Tue Feb 30, 2026 13:61 am; edited 426 times in total

Profile Quote
Ara-anna
Posted: Wed 22 Apr , 2009 5:31 pm
Daydream Believer

The End of the World already happened. Several times as a matter of fact. I suspect in 2.5 million years the bees will be drilling us out of the ground to power their vehicles.

And my theory is this.

1. Humans will work oursleves into such a blather about the End of the World we will create a self fulfilling prophecy.
2. We will then produce the weapons to make said prophecy come true.
3. We will panic and be afraid of everything that makes the prophecy come true, including what ever our interpretation of the holy books might be.
4. We will twist those holy texts to fit whatever notion we think bests fits the current senerio.
5. At some point we as a herd of animals as a whole collective will panic and set off the weapons.
6. Thus we destroy ourselves. And the End of the World will happen. And it will all be in the name of an Ideology with a God bringing in the home run.
7. Bees will survive, develop into the next 16 year old boy on the block, and then they will drill us out of the ground to power their stuff.

Then the bees will have their own self fulfilling prophecy, and the cycle will begin again.

And just for fun God will throw an astroid at the planet just to stir things up every few million years.

Last edited by Ara-anna on Wed 22 Apr , 2009 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Quote
vison
Posted: Wed 22 Apr , 2009 5:32 pm
Best friends forever

sauronsfinger wrote:

as for CG - You know what you can do with your proffered advice and permissions . I have NEVER needed your permission for anything and never will.

It is a conceit on your part to seduce yourself into thinking such things. You operate under conceited delusions of grandeur and are a legend only in your own mind.

The really sad thing here is that you are so careful not to really say what you believe. It puts you in the position of having to backtrack constantly and go into your routine of asking hundreds of silly questions to avoid attention being put on your own beliefs.
Okey doke, sf. This is an official warning, done in public right out in the open so everyone sees it: Lay off.

Discuss the issues and do not make personal remarks about any poster.

Living on Earth is expensive,
but it does include a free trip
around the sun every year.

Profile Quote
sauronsfinger
Posted: Wed 22 Apr , 2009 5:37 pm

No problem Vison.

My post was in direct reply to a post CG made talking about me. Then, once my post was up, he conveniently deleted his. This happened not once but twice yesterday.

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs. - John Rogers

Profile Quote
Cenedril_Gildinaur
Posted: Wed 22 Apr , 2009 5:43 pm

Ara-anna wrote:
The End of the World already happened. Several times as a matter of fact. I suspect in 2.5 million years the bees will be drilling us out of the ground to power their vehicles.

And my theory is this.

1. Humans will work oursleves into such a blather about the End of the World we will create a self fulfilling prophecy.
3. We will panic and be afraid of everything that makes the prophecy come true, including what ever our interpretation of the holy books might be.
4. We will twist those holy texts to fit whatever notion we think bests fits the current senerio.
5. At some point we as a herd of animals as a whole collective will panic and set off the weapons.
6. Thus we destroy ourselves. And the End of the World will happen. And it will all be in the name of an Ideology with a God bringing in the home run.
7. Bees will survive, develop into the next 16 year old boy on the block, and then they will drill us out of the ground to power their stuff.

Then the bees will have their own self fulfilling prophecy, and the cycle will begin again.

And just for fun God will throw an astroid at the planet just to stir things up every few million years.
So do you suspect intelligent dinosaurs did it to themselves long ago and now we're burning their bodies in our cars?

It is a myth that coercion is necessary in order to force people to get along together, but it is a persistent myth because it feeds a desire many people have. That desire is to be able to justify hurting people who have done nothing other than offend them in some way.

Last edited by Cenedril_Gildinaur on Tue Feb 30, 2026 13:61 am; edited 426 times in total

Profile Quote
Ara-anna
Posted: Wed 22 Apr , 2009 5:48 pm
Daydream Believer

This thread makes no sense, btw.

Could we please have the weird stuff taken out?

sf made a post yesterday, Vison said something about it today, sf replied today. Which is just confusing, imho of course. It's like reading two different books or having Indy in the middle of Gondor.

Aragorn: Ok everyone mount up it's time to go to Mordor
Indy: We're going to Pankot Palace
Aragorn: Who's the guy in the hat?
Indy: That's Dr. Jones to you.

Profile Quote
Ara-anna
Posted: Wed 22 Apr , 2009 5:50 pm
Daydream Believer

Cenedril_Gildinaur wrote:
Ara-anna wrote:

And my theory is this.

So do you suspect intelligent dinosaurs did it to themselves long ago and now we're burning their bodies in our cars?
No, that was the astroid curve ball.

Profile Quote
Ara-anna
Post subject: Re: I don't want my name associated with this split topic :(
Posted: Wed 22 Apr , 2009 6:07 pm
Daydream Believer

Due to my respect of Maria, I'm out.

Profile Quote
Riverthalos
Posted: Wed 22 Apr , 2009 6:22 pm
bioalchemist

<River's brain>/0

This place has gotten way to effing weird for me.

**speedclimbs out of the rabbit hole

"He attacks. And here I can kill him. But I don't. That's the answer to world peace, people."
-Stickles Shihan

Profile Quote
sauronsfinger
Posted: Wed 22 Apr , 2009 6:26 pm

Ray Charles could have seen this coming. And he is both blind and dead. ;)

Profile Quote
yovargas
Posted: Wed 22 Apr , 2009 9:25 pm

Darn. I thought this coulda been a fun topic.

Profile Quote
Cenedril_Gildinaur
Posted: Wed 22 Apr , 2009 9:28 pm

yovargas wrote:
Darn. I thought this coulda been a fun topic.
That's why I linked to Exit Mundi.

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Posted: Wed 22 Apr , 2009 9:45 pm

But I wouldn't start a thread about the end of the world! It distressed me to see it there with my name looking like the originator. It bugs me some when splits happen and my posts get moved. It bugs me a whole lot more when I get assigned as the originator of the thread. And I kinda freak out when posts of mine get deleted in the process like this time!

So, maybe this was an overreaction-- but that's how I felt when I saw this topic split.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
ToshoftheWuffingas
Posted: Wed 22 Apr , 2009 11:10 pm
Filthy darwinian hobbit

Is this the end of the thread as we know it?

[ img ]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos

Norwich Beer Festival 2009

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Thu 23 Apr , 2009 1:30 am
Aspiring to heresy

Tosh, did you resize your signature pic? I don't remember it stretching the page before.

[ img ]

Melkor and Ungoliant in need of some relationship counselling.

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 2  [ 21 posts ]
Return to “The Symposium” | Jump to page 1 2 »
Jump to: