board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

Specter turns Democrat - 60 seats in Senate!!!

Post Reply   Page 1 of 2  [ 24 posts ]
Jump to page 1 2 »
sauronsfinger
Post subject: Specter turns Democrat - 60 seats in Senate!!!
Posted: Tue 28 Apr , 2009 4:37 pm

Senator Arlen Specter of Pennsylvania has switched political parties from Republican to Democratic.

from politico.com
Quote:
Republican Sen. Arlen Specter is switching parties so he can run in the Pennsylvania Democratic Senate primary, abandoning his party because he does not want to be "judged by the Pennsylvania Republican primary electorate."

Specter, in a Tuesday afternoon statement, said he knows his supporters will be disappointed but says he is "willing to take all comers" in his Senate race. President Obama called Specter this morning when he heard the news and told the Pennsylvania senator that he's "thrilled" to have Specter on the Democratic side of the aisle.

Two sources said he made his decision after seeing a recent poll showing him badly trailing Toomey in the Republican primary, and concluded that he had no way of winning the GOP nomination.

Republican Senate leaders Mitch McConnell of Kentucky and Jon Kyl of Arizona are in an emergency meeting in the Capitol right now discussing the party switch, which would be a devastating blow to a party barely hanging on to a 41-vote minority in the Senate. Specter has long been a moderate Republican and a thorn in his party's side, but his move to switch parties is a surprising maneuver. Specter trails badly in GOP primary polls and he may have a better chance to win as a Democrat in his home state.

The move stands to put the White House's agenda on a fast track — and to renew hopes among organized labor for the Employee Free Choice Act.

The move also raises the stakes for the resolution of the Minnesota Senate race and may tempt Republicans to drag that fight on further.

"On this state of the record, I am unwilling to have my 29-year Senate record judged by the Pennsylvania Republican primary electorate. I have not represented the Republican Party. I have represented the people of Pennsylvania," Specter said in a statement. "I have decided to run for reelection in 2010 in the Democratic primary. I am ready, willing and anxious to take on all comers and have my candidacy for reelection determined in a general election. I deeply regret that I will be disappointing many friends and supporters. I can understand their disappointment. I am also disappointed that so many in the party I have worked for for more than four decades do not want me to be their candidate. It is very painful on both sides. I thank specially Sens. McConnell and Cornyn for their forbearance."
If and when Al Franken of Minnesota is seated, and that is expected soon, that will givethe Democrats 60 seats.

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs. - John Rogers

Profile Quote
Estel
Post subject: Re: Specter turns Democrat - 60 seats in Senate!!!
Posted: Tue 28 Apr , 2009 6:22 pm
Pure Kitsch Flavor

Scary.

We saw what a lack of checks and balances did when Bush was first in office. This is an even greater lack of checks and balances.

I vote democrat/independent/Green Party most of the time, but if he gets elected... well, politicians are politicians, no matter what party they're from, and I find it scary that one group of politicians has so much power.

Profile Quote
Ara-anna
Posted: Tue 28 Apr , 2009 7:44 pm
Daydream Believer

The GOP needs to stop thinking the party is going the right direction, find some leadership that isn't so far right and swing back to the middle right or all the moderate conservatives will be joining the main Democrat tent and leaving the sideshow to the sideshow. Palin, Jindal, Coulter, Limbaugh, Beck, Hanninty and O'Reilly are not the right direction for the right. They need to get off the "God" politics and get back to the fiscal conservatives. Case in point.....exactly where did Good Ol' Ronny stand on Gay Marriage? Who knows, but we do know where he stood on taxes.

And until that happens, I suspect many of those up and coming young politicans are going to rethink which party they are going to be running for. And even some old Statesmen like Specter will be looking for a new home.

Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in

Five seconds away from the Tetons and Yellowstone

Profile Quote
Feredir
Posted: Tue 28 Apr , 2009 10:02 pm

BOHICA.

freddy

TheEllipticalDisillusion
Posted: Tue 28 Apr , 2009 10:09 pm
Insolent Pup

60 seats is good to stop filibusters, but I'm not too worried about the large number of 'Crats. They aren't a one-mind party like the 'Licans in the first Bush term.

Michael Steele trashed Specter for pulling this move, but then again Steele is a spineless puppet. He couldn't take on Limbaugh, but has no problem trashing Specter?

The 11/3 Project

Profile Quote
Cenedril_Gildinaur
Posted: Tue 28 Apr , 2009 11:02 pm

Specter has already announced that he will not vote party-line on ending a filibuster of EFCA.

It is a myth that coercion is necessary in order to force people to get along together, but it is a persistent myth because it feeds a desire many people have. That desire is to be able to justify hurting people who have done nothing other than offend them in some way.

Last edited by Cenedril_Gildinaur on Tue Feb 30, 2026 13:61 am; edited 426 times in total

Profile Quote
Feredir
Posted: Tue 28 Apr , 2009 11:28 pm

Why did Spector leave the Republican Party? Because he was going to LOSE in the primary this fall, that's why.

freddy

sauronsfinger
Posted: Tue 28 Apr , 2009 11:48 pm

Specter will have to bring many of his views in line with those of the Democratic Party or risk a serious primary challenge. That includes the Employee Free Choice Act or some negotiated substitute which unions will agree to.

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs. - John Rogers

Profile Quote
TheEllipticalDisillusion
Posted: Tue 28 Apr , 2009 11:52 pm
Insolent Pup

Of course Specter switched to continue his senatorial career. He can't, and won't say that because he'd face worse criticism than his current excuse has drawn. Lieberman did something similar.

The 11/3 Project

Profile Quote
Cenedril_Gildinaur
Posted: Wed 29 Apr , 2009 3:06 pm

He just reaffirmed his opposition to the EFCA. Harry Reid is hoping that if it is rewritten it might get his vote - but rewriting it would probably involve removing the bit about getting rid of secret ballot elections which is the reason the unions support it. Reid is also hoping that with Specter on the Democrat side the Democrats might be able to force UHC down all our unwilling throats.

The problem with any change of which party is in power is that they promptly forget that they were elected to undo the abuses of the prior party, not to enact their own abuses. They always forget, and then another change occurs.

It is a myth that coercion is necessary in order to force people to get along together, but it is a persistent myth because it feeds a desire many people have. That desire is to be able to justify hurting people who have done nothing other than offend them in some way.

Last edited by Cenedril_Gildinaur on Tue Feb 30, 2026 13:61 am; edited 426 times in total

Profile Quote
sauronsfinger
Posted: Wed 29 Apr , 2009 3:58 pm

CG - allow me to take you through the process and explain how Washington works for you. Senator Arlen Specter is setting himself up to be the hero in this whole business which will propel his re-election and advance the Democratic Party image as the new "big tent" party.

Specter announces his opposition to the EFCA despite his political conversion.
Specter needs union support to be successful in the Democratic primary and keep within his own caucus in the Senate..
Specter reaches some accomodation with unions on the issue which he can accept and unions can accept.
Specter works with other Senate moderates and a version of the bil passes and is signed into law.
Unions get the badly needed reforms for the odious Taft-Hartley elections procedures.
Specter claims he was instrumental in helping to pass a good bill for the American people.
Unions get a better procedure than the one they have today to organize.
Union membership increases and workers gain more economic justice.
We all win and Specter gets to claim credit just months before his re-election campaign officially begins.

Its what is called a win-win situation..... unless of course you are a rabid right wing anti-labor union conservative.... and in that case you mean nothing in the present scheme of things anyways.

Profile Quote
Ara-anna
Posted: Wed 29 Apr , 2009 4:04 pm
Daydream Believer

Feredir wrote:
Why did Spector leave the Republican Party? Because he was going to LOSE in the primary this fall, that's why.

freddy
exactly. Old Republican gaurd can't win an election. And if November was any indication the New Republican gaurd can't win an election either.

Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in

Five seconds away from the Tetons and Yellowstone

Profile Quote
Cenedril_Gildinaur
Posted: Wed 29 Apr , 2009 4:14 pm

sauronsfinger wrote:
unless of course you are a rabid right wing anti-labor union conservative
I'm a top-wing pro-labor union-neutral libertarian. You're a left-wing anti-labor pro-union conservative. Please try to keep it straight.

Profile Quote
Feredir
Posted: Wed 29 Apr , 2009 5:32 pm

Ara-anna wrote:
Feredir wrote:

freddy
exactly. Old Republican gaurd can't win an election. And if November was any indication the New Republican gaurd can't win an election either.
What "new Republican Guard" are you speaking of? I don't recall anyone really "new" running in November.

I remember not too long ago when the Dems "had it locked up" and they squandered it. Then things swung back to the Reps and they sqaundered it. It will swing back again because the Dems will have their turn at screwing up and scandals. I just hope the things I care about aren't crushed too badly that they can't be undone.

The American people are VERY fickle.

freddy

sauronsfinger
Posted: Wed 29 Apr , 2009 7:40 pm

from CG
Quote:
I'm a top-wing pro-labor union-neutral libertarian. You're a left-wing anti-labor pro-union conservative. Please try to keep it straight.
Since you took your shot at me I guess its my turn to analyze you - in all my years on message boards like this I have rarely seen anyone more anti- labor union that you are.

The rest of the labels you so dearly love to apply to everyone who disagrees with you mean nothing since they are just something to be flushed down the toilet. I have never encountered anyone who loves to apply labels to the other side in any discussion as you do. Of coure, when you can put a label on something, that opens up all the cheapest form of shorthand attack since you can now attack the stereotype of your own label and not the actual nuanced reality of the real person and their real position. To be fair, you also seem to love to label your self. You are fond of saying 'I am this and this and this' as if it somehows gives clarity and substance to your ideas. But labels have always been important to you.

But its a free country. So enjoy.

Last edited by sauronsfinger on Wed 29 Apr , 2009 8:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Profile Quote
sauronsfinger
Posted: Wed 29 Apr , 2009 7:47 pm

Freddy - there is truth and history to what you are saying.
Quote:
I remember not too long ago when the Dems "had it locked up" and they squandered it. Then things swung back to the Reps and they sqaundered it. It will swing back again because the Dems will have their turn at screwing up and scandals. I just hope the things I care about aren't crushed too badly that they can't be undone.
Time will tell on this matter. Having said that however, I think there are some differences in this current situation that are undeniable. Among them

1- the Republicans seem totally without any leadership of any kind
2- the Republicans seem totally without any program or alternatives of any kind
3- the demographics of our changing population are completely against the Republicans and wildly in favor of the Democratic party as it is now constituted
4- the Democrats have a charismatic President who (according to polls) is liked by just over 80% of the population which is a staggering number
5- they have Rahm Emanuel as their chief strategist and the man has no equal when it comes to these matters
6- the "big tent" of the Republicans seems finally to have lost a few supporting poles as the various factions which make up the party seem now at odds
7- the 2010 off year elections do not seem to favor the party out of power as they usually do and the riskiest races seem to be for incumbent Republican Senators
8- Democrats are in charge of the 2010 census and in most state legislatures which will be in charge of taking that information and drawing up districts which we will then have for the next ten years

and thats just off the top of my head.

Profile Quote
Feredir
Posted: Wed 29 Apr , 2009 9:47 pm

All the things you mentioned were in play a few years ago and the Republicans did everything that is implied in your post. It changed back.

As far as Mr. Emmanuel goes, the man scares me. Not as a conservative but as an American.

freddy

sauronsfinger
Posted: Wed 29 Apr , 2009 10:00 pm

Freddy - the demographics certainly have changed against the Republicans as they have been and are currently constituted. Nothing is going to change back regarding those. In fact, any party based on White males is only getting an even bleaker future than exists today.

Why does Rahm Emanuel scare you?

Profile Quote
Feredir
Posted: Thu 30 Apr , 2009 2:28 am

First, I don't buy that the demographics have changed that much but the messenger is missing to present a message.

Mr. Emmanuel? As I watch him speak and pick up on his non-verbals, he is deceitful, arrogant, condescending, and hiding his true intentions. He thinks he is good at hiding his true feelings but anyone who is a student on the non-verbals can easily pick up on them. He sits in a very powerful position and his motives are not what his words say.

freddy

Cenedril_Gildinaur
Posted: Thu 30 Apr , 2009 4:38 am

Feredir wrote:
Mr. Emmanuel? As I watch him speak and pick up on his non-verbals, he is deceitful, arrogant, condescending, and hiding his true intentions. He thinks he is good at hiding his true feelings but anyone who is a student on the non-verbals can easily pick up on them. He sits in a very powerful position and his motives are not what his words say.
He is quite a bit like Karl Rove.

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 2  [ 24 posts ]
Return to “The Symposium” | Jump to page 1 2 »
Jump to: