board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

You Got Soul, But Are You Alone?

Post Reply   Page 2 of 2  [ 28 posts ]
Jump to page « 1 2
TheEllipticalDisillusion
Post subject: Re: You Got Soul, But Are You Alone?
Posted: Tue 26 May , 2009 8:54 pm
Insolent Pup

Could the Silver Surfer be one of our gods?

The 11/3 Project

Profile Quote
Dave_LF
Posted: Tue 26 May , 2009 9:12 pm
You are hearing me talk

I think any given superhero is probably a better analogy for they way pets think of their owners than God is. It's not quite there, though; more like if you had a superhero for a parent.

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Posted: Tue 26 May , 2009 9:20 pm

God/gods nowadays seem to be more like programmers than police. They set up the rules of the universe and stand back and watch it go. Interference seems to be against the rules. They have laws like gravity and inertia that we can't bend yet, but that doesn't mean we never will.

Taboos against magic are probably so that reality doesn't get so bent out of shape that the gods have to keep inventing fixes against the strain humans are putting on the system. Glitches in the matrix happen all the time (magic), but if everyone played with it, it would be difficult to keep the "laws" of nature ... real.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Lidless
Posted: Wed 03 Jun , 2009 6:39 pm
Als u het leven te ernstig neemt, mist u de betekenis.

After all the years we've had to experiment, methinks we can rule out magic from the Real World. The idea we have the ability to control or predict the natural world (including events, objects, people, and physical phenomena) through mystical, paranormal or supernatural means... :horse:

Last edited by Lidless on Thu 04 Jun , 2009 6:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Posted: Wed 03 Jun , 2009 7:06 pm

Rule out what you want, Lidless. I used to believe as you do, but I like the my current world view better, thank you very much. It's much more interesting.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Thu 04 Jun , 2009 3:05 am
The Grey Amaretto as Supermega-awesome Proud Heretic Girl

I think that was rude, Liddy. Very.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Lidless
Posted: Thu 04 Jun , 2009 6:20 am
Als u het leven te ernstig neemt, mist u de betekenis.

Absolutely correct and duly edited.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Posted: Thu 04 Jun , 2009 1:45 pm

I do understand why you said it, though, Lidless. :hug: The two viewpoints are mutually exclusive. We can't both be right.

For what it's worth, I do realize that some of the magical/supernatural/paranormal stuff I've experienced could be explained by the thread I started yesterday "grip on reality slim" , and that what I think I experienced might not be quite as real as I thought.

It's also possible, however, that you can't see magic because your brain has developed differently. That your "error checker" is so overdeveloped that no matter WHAT weird stuff happened, you'd have to find a logical explanation for it.

The way I see the world now allows me to cope with it better. Before, crowds used to cause me extreme distress, sometimes close to panic attacks. Nowadays, I just visualize psychic shields going up and the *pressure* from all those people fades away. We moved out into the country when I was still in my atheistic phase, because I wasn't coping well with subdivision life. Nowadays, I could probably even live in an apartment complex, because I've learned how to cope.

I think some people are born with less defenses against the energy of other people and it makes living in crowds problematical for them.

That's just one facet of my acceptance of the paranormal. You can say it's all in my head--- and it is, really. :) But isn't everything?

If I can block pain with a thought, pain that doctors can't help with- that's a good thing. If I can increase the density of my bones just by thinking about it for a year (results measured!) -that's a good thing. If I can become almost comfortable in a crowd instead of being paralyzed by it- also good. And if belief in an afterlife eliminates my fear of death, well what's the point of being afraid of dying anyway? We are all headed that way anyway.

But really, it's not just about making me more comfortable in the world. The weird things I've seen need explanations and science cannot provide them at the moment. I was trained as a scientist. It really bothered me when things happened without rational explanation. Once I opened my mind to irrational explanations, the pieces of the puzzle started to fit and make sense.

Oh, and as an aside: when stores first came out with those touch screen thingys in the checkout line, they wouldn't work for me. I could touch them as hard as I could and it was like I was invisible. They'd work fine for my husband, whose grip on reality is firm. ;) This embarrassed me and since I was already into the energy manipulation phase of my development, I decided to try pushing the button and pushing some "chi" force through my finger at the same time. They started working for me. Same touch pads. Different day, but not long afterwards. :shrug: I don't have an explanation, so I call it magic.

That sort of thing happens often to me, so I see magic in the world all the time.

Reality is malleable.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 2 of 2  [ 28 posts ]
Return to “The Symposium” | Jump to page « 1 2
Jump to: