The Last Homely Site on the Web

Cool science stuff

Post Reply   Page 21 of 30  [ 596 posts ]
Jump to page « 119 20 21 22 2330 »
Frelga
Post subject: Re: Cool science stuff
Posted: Thu 27 Aug , 2015 1:43 am
A green apple painted red

The phone battery is not dead? Since the phone doesn't go to the startup screen when plugged in.

GNU Terry Pratchett

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Fri 11 Sep , 2015 8:58 pm
Aspiring to heresy

Pluto images show possible dunes, jumbled mountains
Quote:
"Seeing dunes on Pluto — if that is what they are — would be completely wild, because Pluto's atmosphere today is so thin," said William B. McKinnon, deputy lead of the New Horizons Geology, Geophysics and Imaging team. "Either Pluto had a thicker atmosphere in the past, or some process we haven't figured out is at work. It's a head-scratcher."

[ img ]

Melkor and Ungoliant in need of some relationship counselling.

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Sat 12 Sep , 2015 4:22 pm
The Grey Amaretto as Supermega-awesome Proud Heretic Girl

Very cool! :)

[ img ]

Profile Quote
aninkling
Posted: Fri 02 Oct , 2015 2:19 pm

I'm not sure about the legitimacy of this, coming from a non-technical site, but it's fascinating if true.

http://io9.com/butterflies-remember-a-m ... -509321799
Quote:
Geology is what we look to when we want enduring monuments. Rock and metal outlast anything made of living tissue. Or do they? In another example of science getting poetic, it seems that a symbol of ephemera — a butterfly — provides evidence of a mountain long turned to dust.

Society can and does execute its own mandates, and if it issues wrong mandates instead of right, or any mandates at all in things with it ought not to meddle, it practices a social tyranny more formidable than many kinds of political oppression, since, though not usually upheld by such extreme penalties, it leaves fewer means of escape, penetrating much more deeply into the details of life, and enslaving the soul itself. ― John Stuart Mill

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Fri 02 Oct , 2015 10:29 pm

Gosh, that is fascinating!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Sat 03 Oct , 2015 1:44 am
Aspiring to heresy

[ img ]

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Sat 03 Oct , 2015 2:49 am

That is also very cool! I didn't know that they would submerge the leftovers and come back later. That is interesting, and I'd like to know more about how that actually worked (and actually preserved the food in a state that was fit for consumption as well as kept it from getting eaten by something else).

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Wed 14 Oct , 2015 5:02 pm
Aspiring to heresy

It's worth setting aside nine minutes to watch this whole thing:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Thu 10 Dec , 2015 1:23 pm
Aspiring to heresy

Fascinating story of a woman whose heart stopped for a full three hours, and was successfully resuscitated with no ill effects, and is working as a radiologist:

It seems that her recovery was so successful because her body was so cold during the time her heart had stopped.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
aninkling
Posted: Wed 16 Dec , 2015 9:05 pm

This came up accidentally in a completely unrelated literature search. I think someone should nominate it for the Annals of Improbable Research.
Quote:
Gait Posture. 2015 Oct;42(4):575-9. doi: 10.1016/j.gaitpost.2015.09.006. Epub 2015 Sep 16.
Gait adaptations to awareness and experience of a slip when walking on a cross-slope.
Lawrence D1, Domone S2, Heller B2, Hendra T3, Mawson S4, Wheat J2.
Author information
Abstract

Falls that occur as a result of a slip are one of the leading causes of injuries, particularly in the elderly population. Previous studies have focused on slips that occur on a flat surface. Slips on a laterally sloping surface are important and may be related to different mechanisms of balance recovery. This type of slip might result in different gait adaptations to those previously described on a flat surface, but these adaptations have not been investigated. The aim of this study was to assess whether, when walking on a cross-slope, young adults adapted their gait when made aware of a potential slip, and having experienced a slip. Gait parameters were compared for three conditions-(1) Normal walking; (2) Walking after being made aware of a potential slip (participants were told that a slip may occur); (3) Walking after experiencing a slip (Participants had already experienced at least one slip induced using a soapy contaminant). Gait parameters were only analysed for trials in which there was no slippery contaminant present on the walkway. Stride length and walking velocity were significantly reduced, and stance duration was significantly greater in the awareness and experience conditions compared to normal walking, with no significant differences in any gait parameters between the awareness and experience conditions. In addition, 46.7% of the slip trials resulted in a fall. This is higher than reported for slips induced on a flat surface, suggesting slips on a cross-slope are more hazardous. This would help explain the more cautious gait patterns observed in both the awareness and experience conditions.
Am I the only one who thought "well, of course!" at their conclusion that people adjust their gait when they're walking on a slippery slope? Or have these researchers never lived in an icy climate?

Society can and does execute its own mandates, and if it issues wrong mandates instead of right, or any mandates at all in things with it ought not to meddle, it practices a social tyranny more formidable than many kinds of political oppression, since, though not usually upheld by such extreme penalties, it leaves fewer means of escape, penetrating much more deeply into the details of life, and enslaving the soul itself. ― John Stuart Mill

Profile Quote
Frelga
Posted: Wed 16 Dec , 2015 10:52 pm
A green apple painted red

Well, talk about a slippery slope. :D

GNU Terry Pratchett

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Thu 17 Dec , 2015 3:04 pm

<rimshot>

:D

Well, it makes me wonder what the purpose is. Is it to have empirical evidence that slopes are slippery? (Duh.) If so, is it to push for new signage in those places? Better or different walkers or canes for the elderly? More handrails? :scratch:

Or was it watch people slip and fall for amusement purposes?

[ img ]

Profile Quote
yovargas
Posted: Thu 17 Dec , 2015 10:39 pm

"BREAKING NEWS: Scientist may have finally confirmed that slanty surfaces are harder to walk on than flat ones. We will keep you update as this story progresses."

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Sat 19 Dec , 2015 3:21 am

I heard from my uncle's friend's husband that the big walking cane companies funded this study, and the truth is that we just don't know. In fact, there is no good proof, and I refuse to avoid slanty surfaces and won't make my children avoid them either.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Sat 19 Dec , 2015 1:15 pm
Aspiring to heresy

I heard from Jenny McCarthy that lack of slanted surfaces causes autism in children.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
aninkling
Posted: Mon 21 Dec , 2015 3:06 pm

I heard there will soon be a new government agency tasked with the job of changing all slanty surfaces on public property to flat surfaces.

This might result in minor inconveniences to San Francisco.

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Tue 12 Jan , 2016 2:27 pm
Aspiring to heresy

Ocumetics Bionic Lens could give you vision 3x better than 20/20

According to the article, the technology could be available to humans in as little as two years.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Tue 12 Jan , 2016 2:56 pm

I have to admit I think that would be awesome, if it would work for me. My vision is too bad for laser surgery, and I would be concerned about the healing process for me. (I sometimes have issues with over-scarring.) But wow. Yeah, wouldn't that be wonderful? I've had glasses since I was 7. My eye doctor laughed at me when I asked for what my vision numbers were (you know, like 20/20 or 20/100). He said they don't go that high, but he'd estimate it at about 20/900. My one eye is at -8.75 and the other is at -9.00.

I used to spend a lot of time daydreaming about perfect vision. I have no memory, really, of what that was like. It's all been glasses and contacts, and those are the two things I'd grab in a house fire (primarily the glasses, I guess, because the contacts are in the bathroom). In fact, I'd have to grab my glasses before even rescuing my girls. (I suppose I could attempt it blind, but my glasses are always right by my side at night.)

So yeah! I hope this works!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Dave_LF
Posted: Tue 12 Jan , 2016 2:58 pm
You are hearing me talk

What does it mean to have better than 20/20 vision? You can see finer detail, or you lose detail more slowly as distance increases? Or are both the same thing?

Profile Quote
Alatar
Posted: Tue 12 Jan , 2016 3:00 pm
of Vinyamar

Well, I guess it means we could have sight like Hawks. Even perfect Human eyesight is pretty poor by their standard.

[ img ]
These are my friends, see how they glisten...

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 21 of 30  [ 596 posts ]
Return to “The Symposium” | Jump to page « 119 20 21 22 2330 »
Jump to: