Post Reply   Page 22 of 30  [ 596 posts ]
Jump to page « 120 21 22 23 2430 »
LalaithUrwen
Post subject: Re: Cool science stuff
Posted: Tue 12 Jan , 2016 3:06 pm
The Grey Amaretto as Supermega-awesome Proud Heretic Girl

So if this is the definition:
Quote:
20/20 vision is a term used to express normal visual acuity (the clarity or sharpness of vision) measured at a distance of 20 feet. If you have 20/20 vision, you can see clearly at 20 feet what should normally be seen at that distance. If you have 20/100 vision, it means that you must be as close as 20 feet to see what a person with normal vision can see at 100 feet.

20/20 does not necessarily mean perfect vision. 20/20 vision only indicates the sharpness or clarity of vision at a distance.
(from the American Optometric Association)

...then let's see. (Ha.) 20/100= the 20 is you, looking at something 20 feet away; the 100 is a person with normal vision seeing with the same clarity but standing 100 feet away. So if you have better than 20/20, would that be expressed as, say, 20/10? So that you at 20 feet away see the object with the same level of clarity as someone standing 10 feet away from it. ??

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Dave_LF
Posted: Tue 12 Jan , 2016 3:07 pm
You are hearing me talk

I'm curious about how the thing would work. Does it contain its own optics that it uses to produce a high-detail image that it then projects onto your original retina? If so, is it all passive, or does it contain an IC? If it contains an IC, what powers it? And could it include a wireless receiver so you could put eyes on the back of your head? :) And what do you do if you have the surgery, and then a year later they release a new model that works better? And how long before companies start beaming unskippable ads directly into your bionic eyeballs?

Edit: Yeah, that's the literal meaning, but I'm wondering if would improve your up-close vision too so it would effectively be like looking through a magnifying glass all the time.

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Tue 12 Jan , 2016 3:15 pm

Quote:
Yeah, that's the literal meaning, but I'm wondering if would improve your up-close vision too so it would effectively be like looking through a magnifying glass all the time.
Well, that would be interesting, wouldn't it? I think the logic follows that if you have increased visual acuity you should have increased close-up vision as well. (Hmmm, not sure about the logic of that, but it sounds good.) Maybe, just as our eyes do now, the lens will know what we're trying to look at--a close object or a distant one--and it will adjust accordingly.

I would be happy with normal vision. Heck, I'd be happy with normal bad vision, if that makes sense. Being an overachiever in this area doesn't really yield any benefits. :suspicious:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Posted: Tue 12 Jan , 2016 4:36 pm

I used to have better than 20/20 vision. When it started deteriorating at about 25 years old, I went to an eye doctor and was told I had perfect 20/20 vision. He didn't want to correct it down to what I thought was normal. I eventually got used to the blurriness. One eye doctor called it "blur interpretation". Humans are pretty good at it.

Profile Quote
Frelga
Posted: Tue 12 Jan , 2016 6:11 pm
A green apple painted red

It's wild to realize just how much the brain edits the input from the eyes. Like editing out the nose, which is always visible. Mr. Frelga kept putting off getting glasses, so when he finally did, the loss of vision was pretty severe, and different between the eyes. For days after he finally did get the glasses, the ground looked tilted to him, until his brain stopped compensating for the uneven vision.

GNU Terry Pratchett

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Wed 13 Jan , 2016 4:36 am

I know that sensation! It is not fun, but you're right. The brain does eventually compensate for it.

I guess I will say that I am grateful for my gas permeable (hard) lenses. They have forced my eyes to stop getting worse; the deterioration definitely started slowing down after I got them my senior year (age 16).

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Alatar
Posted: Wed 13 Jan , 2016 9:12 am
of Vinyamar

I don't think it works that way. Glasses or contacts don't stop your eyes from deteriorating. However, most people's sight stops deteriorating in their late teens. It's why we used to wait until our late teens to get contacts over here. Opticians always recommended to wait till your eyesight had "settled" before getting contacts because they were so crazy expensive.

[ img ]
These are my friends, see how they glisten...

Profile Quote
aninkling
Posted: Wed 13 Jan , 2016 1:56 pm

And these days contacts are disposable after a month - or sooner. How things have changed.

Then of course, there's middle age, where we near-sighted people find that the easiest way to read something is to take our glasses off.

Society can and does execute its own mandates, and if it issues wrong mandates instead of right, or any mandates at all in things with it ought not to meddle, it practices a social tyranny more formidable than many kinds of political oppression, since, though not usually upheld by such extreme penalties, it leaves fewer means of escape, penetrating much more deeply into the details of life, and enslaving the soul itself. ― John Stuart Mill

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Wed 13 Jan , 2016 3:32 pm

Alatar wrote:
I don't think it works that way. Glasses or contacts don't stop your eyes from deteriorating. However, most people's sight stops deteriorating in their late teens. It's why we used to wait until our late teens to get contacts over here. Opticians always recommended to wait till your eyesight had "settled" before getting contacts because they were so crazy expensive.
Actually it is how it works, at least for rigid contact lenses. They hold the eye into shape and slow the deterioration. I mean,this is what my eye doctor has said to me several times, so I guess it's possible that he's wrong. ?? But he seems like a smart guy who knows his stuff.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Alatar
Posted: Wed 13 Jan , 2016 3:34 pm
of Vinyamar

I have to say I've never heard that, but hey, I'm not an optician!

[ img ]
These are my friends, see how they glisten...

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Wed 13 Jan , 2016 3:49 pm

It seems legit, but I'm not an optician either! :D

I do know there are special contacts (hard or rigid) that a person wears for a specific length of time, and, when they remove them, the eye holds that shape for another specific length of time, giving them corrected vision during that time.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Wed 13 Jan , 2016 4:10 pm
Aspiring to heresy

I didn't know that. I though that contact lenses just acted like magnifying glasses do in clearing or magnifying the light that comes in. I never knew they actually correct the shape of your eye.

[ img ]

Melkor and Ungoliant in need of some relationship counselling.

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Wed 13 Jan , 2016 5:12 pm

I believe only rigid or hard ones would. Soft contacts aren't going to do anything to the eye itself.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
aninkling
Posted: Mon 29 Feb , 2016 2:27 pm

There was an interesting news story in Science about how changing the composition of microorganisms in the intestine (to one more characteristic of a healthy child of the same age) might help chronically undernourished children use nutrients more effectively. It's behind a firewall, unless you subscribe, but this story is similar.

Study: Right gut bacteria may protect against malnutrition

Society can and does execute its own mandates, and if it issues wrong mandates instead of right, or any mandates at all in things with it ought not to meddle, it practices a social tyranny more formidable than many kinds of political oppression, since, though not usually upheld by such extreme penalties, it leaves fewer means of escape, penetrating much more deeply into the details of life, and enslaving the soul itself. ― John Stuart Mill

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Tue 01 Mar , 2016 1:43 am

Inky, that is fascinating!

Wow. Of course, I'd love to see us eliminate the problem of hunger/lack of food itself.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
aninkling
Posted: Mon 07 Mar , 2016 3:26 pm

Yes, that would be nice. Though there doesn't seem to be a simple solution at the moment, between poverty, wars that displace people from the land, corrupt officials, droughts, and all the rest.

Along the lines of "uncool science stuff," there are a bunch of predatory open access science journals and "conferences" springing up, whose only goal is to get money from scientists through page charges, etc. They'll publish any nonsense, as long as you pay. Some even copy real published papers from legitimate journals, change a few things, and use those pirated papers to make their journal look legitimate.

Anyway, pretty much everyone's academic mailbox seems to be flooded with junk from these people, inviting you to publish, speak at their conference or join their editorial board. I sometimes have to read the emails to figure out what they are, so I've been amusing myself with some of the more blatant flattery or twisted English.
One claimed that my work makes them "very proud," and "we believe that your works should be known to mankind" by being published in their journal.
Alas, the next one mentioned my "excellent" work, then concluded ruefully "thus, we feel obliged to invite you" to present it at their conference.

(edit for typo)

Last edited by aninkling on Tue 08 Mar , 2016 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Mon 07 Mar , 2016 6:36 pm

Sheesh, inky, how could you refuse an honor like that? How could you deny mankind the privilege of knowing your work?

I wonder if this is related to something I saw briefly the other day, something about a creationist paper getting published in a journal. ??

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Frelga
Posted: Mon 07 Mar , 2016 8:26 pm

Lali, if that's the story I saw, it may be something else. There was a paper submitted by a Chinese group to a peer-reviewed journal, having to do with the anatomy of a human hand, iirc. The complaint was that the paper described their (apparently legitimate) research in terms of the wonderful design by the Creator.

GNU Terry Pratchett

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Mon 07 Mar , 2016 11:09 pm

I do believe that's what it was. I didn't have time to read it. Any chance you have a link handy? (I can also search for it, so no sweat.)

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Frelga
Posted: Mon 07 Mar , 2016 11:53 pm

Sorry, I didn't save the link. :(

GNU Terry Pratchett

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 22 of 30  [ 596 posts ]
Return to “The Symposium” | Jump to page « 120 21 22 23 2430 »