The Last Homely Site on the Web

Cool science stuff

Post Reply   Page 24 of 30  [ 596 posts ]
Jump to page « 122 23 24 25 2630 »
Dave_LF
Post subject: Re: Cool science stuff
Posted: Thu 20 Oct , 2016 7:36 pm
You are hearing me talk

In order for this to work, the electricity that drives the process would need to be generated in a manner that produces less CO2 than the reaction consumes. Which brings me back to what I said we should be trying to do a decade ago: building giant facilities in the deserts that use solar energy to convert atmospheric CO2 into hydrocarbons*. It's good to see someone's finally starting to work on it. :D ;)

*ethanol isn't a hydrocarbon, but it's a good first step

Profile Quote
aninkling
Posted: Fri 21 Oct , 2016 1:04 pm

Quote:
*ethanol isn't a hydrocarbon, but it's a good first step
It's also not a bad end-product itself ;) Less global warming, more alcoholic beverages - I could drink to that. :D

(and yes, I know - ethanol alone would make a lousy beverage)

Society can and does execute its own mandates, and if it issues wrong mandates instead of right, or any mandates at all in things with it ought not to meddle, it practices a social tyranny more formidable than many kinds of political oppression, since, though not usually upheld by such extreme penalties, it leaves fewer means of escape, penetrating much more deeply into the details of life, and enslaving the soul itself. ― John Stuart Mill

Profile Quote
Dave_LF
Posted: Fri 21 Oct , 2016 1:49 pm
You are hearing me talk

Cheap, though! (maybe; hopefully)

But seriously, finding a way to economically denature the amount of ethanol involved could be a real problem if we actually decided to attempt this on a large scale.

Profile Quote
aninkling
Posted: Fri 21 Oct , 2016 3:30 pm

I'm sure you're right. But by the time it becomes feasible on a large scale (if ever), maybe the hydrocarbon products will be possible. It's intriguing idea, solving two big problems at once.

On an entirely different note,
Quote:
How Earth’s oldest animals were fossilized
http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2016/10/ ... fossilized

Society can and does execute its own mandates, and if it issues wrong mandates instead of right, or any mandates at all in things with it ought not to meddle, it practices a social tyranny more formidable than many kinds of political oppression, since, though not usually upheld by such extreme penalties, it leaves fewer means of escape, penetrating much more deeply into the details of life, and enslaving the soul itself. ― John Stuart Mill

Profile Quote
aninkling
Posted: Wed 02 Nov , 2016 1:40 pm

http://m.csmonitor.com/USA/2016/1101/Am ... d-castaway
Quote:
Amelia Earhart: Did she really die as a Pacific Island castaway?

Amelia Earhart: Researchers say they now have evidence consistent with the theory that aviator Amelia Earhart lived as a castaway on a remote Pacific island after crashing her plane.

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Sat 05 Nov , 2016 1:26 am
The Grey Amaretto as Supermega-awesome Proud Heretic Girl

I read that the other day, inky. I guess I never really thought otherwise, for some reason. :scratch:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
aninkling
Posted: Sat 05 Nov , 2016 4:58 pm

I always assumed her plane went down at sea and nothing would ever be recovered - there's an awful lot of ocean out there and a lot less land.
The Japanese prisoner theories, spy theories, etc, seem a little far-fetched.

Profile Quote
Dave_LF
Posted: Mon 07 Nov , 2016 2:51 pm
You are hearing me talk

I thought xkcd settled that a long time ago...

Profile Quote
aninkling
Posted: Mon 07 Nov , 2016 8:11 pm

They forgot the cane and bifocals...

Profile Quote
Frelga
Posted: Mon 28 Nov , 2016 3:38 am
A green apple painted red

Homeopathic Medicine Labels Now Must State Products Do Not Work
Quote:
The body has released an enforcement policy statement clarifying that homeopathic drugs are not exempt from rules that apply to other health products when it comes to claims of efficacy and should not be treated differently. In order for any claims in adverts or on packaging not to be ‘misleading’ to consumers it should be clearly communicated that they are based on theories developed in the 1700s and that there is a lack of evidence to back them up, the statement says.
The linked article has the link to the statement itself, which does indeed appear to require the disclaimer about the 1700s.

GNU Terry Pratchett

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Mon 28 Nov , 2016 9:34 am
Aspiring to heresy

Wow... that's gonna hurt sales.

[ img ]

Melkor and Ungoliant in need of some relationship counselling.

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Tue 29 Nov , 2016 5:23 am

Actually, it probably won't, Jude. Just my guess.

On a related note, I read an interesting article in this month's National Geographic about the effects of faith on healing, pain management, etc. That includes the placebo effect, and the social aspects of faith on healing. If I can briefly summarize, it's that the prefrontal cortex associates healing/pain relief with certain social or environmental cues and communicates with other parts of the brain to release our own pain-relieving chemicals. One interesting example they gave was work that is being done with injured veterans. The pain management doctor works with the vets right away and finds something that they associate with positive memories, like peppermint candies (because Grandma gave them to them) or a certain smell (because it reminds them of a very happy memory). Those tangible items are given every time they're also given their pain meds. Eventually, just eating the candy or smelling the smell causes the release of their own, natural pain-relieving chemicals, meaning they're taking less pain meds (or even none). Pretty cool, huh?

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Frelga
Posted: Tue 29 Nov , 2016 6:08 am

Very cool.

My coworker, who is in the process of finding out exactly what kind of cancer he has :( :( :(, was telling me about the natural healers he has gone to. Given that he continues to work with doctors, I think it can only help.

On a happier note:

Edible Six-Pack Rings Feed, Rather Than Strangle, Wildlife
Quote:
Saltwater Brewery has partnered with the ad agency We Believers to create what they say is the first fully edible beer can packaging. Made from byproducts of the brewing process such as wheat and barley, their six-pack holders are fully biodegradable and completely digestible. Rather than ensnaring curious animals in a corset of litter, the company’s six-pack rings could serve as a satisfying snack. And if nothing is biting, the rings quickly decompose.

GNU Terry Pratchett

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Wed 30 Nov , 2016 4:41 pm

That is very cool, Frelga, about the edible six-pack rings!

(I am not happy to hear about your co-worker, though. :( )

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Wed 08 Mar , 2017 9:43 pm
Aspiring to heresy

Analysis of Neanderthal's teeth suggests use of herbal medicine
Quote:
Among those found at the El Sidrón site was a male who clearly suffered from an abscessed tooth. He also had an intestinal parasite that would have caused acute diarrhea.

In his plaque, researchers found traces of poplar, which contains salicylic acid, a form of which is the active ingredient found in Aspirin. They also found traces of a mould called penicillium, which helped produce the first antibiotic, penicillin.
Quote:
While the poplar isn't considered edible, the researchers said they can't prove definitively that the Neanderthal was ingesting it to relieve pain.

"But it seems like too much of a coincidence in that one individual," said Keith Dobney, who co-authored the study published today in Nature and is an adjunct professor at Simon Fraser University.
Other dietary info:
Quote:
The Neanderthals in Belgium consumed woolly rhinoceros and European wild sheep, along with wild mushrooms. The Neanderthals in Spain, on the other hand, seemed to sustain themselves on a purely vegetarian diet, eating pine nuts, moss, mushrooms and tree bark. This shows that Neanderthals from different regions had very different diets.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Thu 09 Mar , 2017 2:41 am

Very cool! :)

[ img ]

Profile Quote
aninkling
Posted: Thu 09 Mar , 2017 1:38 pm

I think I would rather have lived in Belgium. Tree bark and moss casserole sounds terrible.

Profile Quote
Frelga
Posted: Thu 09 Mar , 2017 2:42 pm

But safer than chasing a wooly rhinoceros.

GNU Terry Pratchett

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Thu 09 Mar , 2017 3:01 pm
Aspiring to heresy

Aside from learning about the diet of Neanderthals, I also just learned that there was such a thing as a woolly rhinocerous.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Alatar
Posted: Thu 09 Mar , 2017 3:12 pm
of Vinyamar

Since finding out that Birds evolved from dinosaurs I keep trying to imagine all dinosaurs with feathers. Is it just me?

[ img ]
These are my friends, see how they glisten...

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 24 of 30  [ 596 posts ]
Return to “The Symposium” | Jump to page « 122 23 24 25 2630 »
Jump to: