Abortion Doctor Gunned Down in Church

Post Reply   Page 3 of 6  [ 119 posts ]
Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 5 6 »
jewelsong
Post subject: Re: Abortion Doctor Gunned Down in Church
Posted: Tue 02 Jun , 2009 4:57 pm
Just keep singin'!

RELStuart wrote:
I do want to point out that even women that have abortions because they choose not have a child are not automatically some sort of repulsive evil creature. As jewelsong pointed out usually anyone that has an abortion only makes that choice after agoinizing over it....
Indeed. Again, I know a number of women who are really, really opposed to abortion - who have had one themselves, or who have taken a member of their immediate family to have one. (I also know a couple who were certain that if they became unexpectedly pregnant, they would immediately seek an abortion - who didn't!)

It's all very well to talk (maybe condescendingly?) about women who have an abortion because they "just don't want a baby" - as if not wanting a baby (for whatever reason) isn't the primary reason for having a first trimester abortion. And to imagine that you, yourself, would never, under any circumstances, do such a thing.

Point is - you don't know what you would do. You really, really don't. You think you know. You know how you feel now. You know what you'd like to believe you would do. But...it's different when it's YOUR abortion.

There was an article a few years back (I think in the New Yorker) about abortion clinic workers and doctors and how they deal with the people on the picket lines. One thing almost all the clinics said is that it was not unknown or even that uncommon for one of the "regular picketers" to come into the very same clinic for an abortion. When asked why, the patient (or the patient's mother) always claimed that this particular circumstance was exceptional. Next day, they'd be back on the picket line.

It's different when it's you. It's different when it's YOUR abortion.

And when it comes to late-term abortions, I agree with Elli...we should MYOB. What these women go through is horrible and not for ANY of us to judge.

Profile Quote
Riverthalos
Posted: Tue 02 Jun , 2009 6:06 pm
bioalchemist

Ellie, that story made me choke up. Actually, any story about having to choose, no matter which way the mother goes, makes me choke up. I'm not sure anyone is ever truly ready to have children, but there are certainly times when it's less optimal than others and to be faced with that...yikes.

"He attacks. And here I can kill him. But I don't. That's the answer to world peace, people."
-Stickles Shihan

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Posted: Tue 02 Jun , 2009 6:29 pm

I feel like I'm killing a baby chicken every time I crack an egg. :( It was especially bad this year right after all the chicks in the incubator had just hatched and there was a pail full of shells ready to be thrown out sitting on the counter, and I wanted scrambled eggs for breakfast. I cracked the eggs and threw the shells into the same container as the shells that had just hatched cute little baby birdies.

It was a moment of cognitive dissonance for me. Shells-----> babies, shells------> breakfast. What was I doing????? :Q :neutral: :bawl:

Then I shrugged it off :salmon: , and went back to fixing breakfast.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Riverthalos
Posted: Tue 02 Jun , 2009 6:35 pm
bioalchemist

I thought chickens just lay eggs, whether they're fertilized or not. :scratch:

"He attacks. And here I can kill him. But I don't. That's the answer to world peace, people."
-Stickles Shihan

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Posted: Tue 02 Jun , 2009 7:06 pm

We have roosters. The eggs ARE fertile. The eggs I hatched in the incubator were the same sort of eggs I was cooking for breakfast that day. If I wanted to, I could run every egg my chickens lay through the incubator and about half of them would hatch. I'd then have a jillion chickens to take care of. :help:

Not practical. So, I told myself I was being stupid.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Dave_LF
Posted: Tue 02 Jun , 2009 7:23 pm
You are hearing me talk

That's actually pretty applicable...

Profile Quote
Riverthalos
Posted: Tue 02 Jun , 2009 9:43 pm
bioalchemist

-Stickles Shihan

Profile Quote
Lurker
Posted: Tue 02 Jun , 2009 10:53 pm

Ara-anna wrote:
Lurker

Murder is murder, be it in you opinion an abortion doctor who provides abortion. Or in this case the man is a murderer and to do it in a church is beyond horrid.
I agree it's beyond horrid and he's a murder. What I'm trying to say is why do you think he choose a place of worship to make a statement? Think...

I never posted an opinion, btw. (Don't let my posts from the other thread cloud your judgement.) I just want you guys to think why he choose a church, when he can do it anywhere. That explains why it is the perfect venue for people like him to make a statement.

Caution...You are entering the NO SPIN ZONE.

Profile Quote
Riverthalos
Posted: Tue 02 Jun , 2009 11:04 pm
bioalchemist

By desecrating a place of worship??

-Stickles Shihan

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Wed 03 Jun , 2009 3:43 am
The Grey Amaretto as Supermega-awesome Proud Heretic Girl

I had a long entry typed up, and then lost it. I'll try to re-post it tomorrow.

In the meantime, I do want to correct something I said the other day. Evidently, Obama does not support a mental health exception for late-term abortions.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
jewelsong
Posted: Wed 03 Jun , 2009 5:03 am
Just keep singin'!

LalaithUrwen wrote:
Obama does not support a mental health exception for late-term abortions.
Lali, thanks for correcting this. Abortion can be such an emotionally-charged issue and misinformation from both sides can make it even more polarizing.

I think, from everything I have read, that late-term abortion is a (thankfully) very rare procedure and in the vast majority of cases, is done after a long and agonizing journey on the part of the woman. NO responsible doctor would ever perform a late-term abortion simply because the woman suddenly decided she didn't want to be pregnant anymore! There are very, very strict restrictions in place in all 50 states.

Profile Quote
Riverthalos
Posted: Wed 03 Jun , 2009 5:19 am
bioalchemist

Yeah, actually, in the article I linked the woman's doctors had to seek permission from the OK state medical board to terminate her pregnancy after it was determined the baby had anencephaly. She was denied; for some reason the state of Oklahoma decided she should either wait for a stillbirth or a baby that would be born with a beating heart but no consciousness and a life expectancy measured in hours. She ended up going to another state to have the procedure done.

-Stickles Shihan

Profile Quote
Lidless
Posted: Wed 03 Jun , 2009 6:23 pm
Als u het leven te ernstig neemt, mist u de betekenis.

A pro-life assassin, huh? A numbers game, methinks.

Someone once said that the definition of a hero is someone who is prepared to burn their principles for the Greater Good.

5/5

Ass.

"Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent"
- Salvador Hardin (fictional character)

[ img ]

Profile Quote
vison
Posted: Thu 04 Jun , 2009 9:25 pm
Best friends forever

Interesting reading.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... Id=5168163" target="_blank

Living on Earth is expensive,
but it does include a free trip
around the sun every year.

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Thu 04 Jun , 2009 9:50 pm

It was.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
TheEllipticalDisillusion
Posted: Thu 04 Jun , 2009 10:24 pm
Insolent Pup

I'm going to open a drive-thru abortion clinic/church of satan/brothel. You can fuck them, abort them, then sacrafice them to the one true lord.

The article was interesting, but the problem is that most people don't want to hear the nuanced issues of abortion. The media has no interest in presenting both sides in an honest fashion because the American public craves controversy, and drama. They are looking for their media-jesus to proclaim from beyond the tube what shall, and what shall not. In the interim, clinics will continue to be bombed, and doctors killed all in the name of "right-to-life."

Last edited by TheEllipticalDisillusion on Thu 04 Jun , 2009 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The 11/3 Project

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Thu 04 Jun , 2009 10:26 pm

Sure, and babies will continue to be killed all in the name of pro-choice.

:roll:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
TheEllipticalDisillusion
Posted: Thu 04 Jun , 2009 10:29 pm
Insolent Pup

I don't know of any "pro-choice" people who have bombed clinics. But let's not get hung up on these silly terms like pro-choice, and pro-life; it is for, or against abortion, nothing more.

The 11/3 Project

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Thu 04 Jun , 2009 10:53 pm

Just giving you back the rhetoric you spouted, TED. That's all. :shrug:

I'm fine with calling it "pro-abortion" and "anti-abortion" if that is your preference, though I think it's probably not as cut-and-dried as that with many people.

You'll note that not one "anti-abortion" person here in this thread applauded what this murderer did in gunning down the abortion doctor. Instead, we all condemned it.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Riverthalos
Posted: Thu 04 Jun , 2009 11:02 pm
bioalchemist

Lali, that just goes to show we have a shortage of slavering fanatics around here. This is a good thing.

-Stickles Shihan

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 3 of 6  [ 119 posts ]
Return to “The Symposium” | Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 5 6 »
Jump to: